The media is ALL wrong

Rob331

Just about every writer, podcast, and radio host has reacted to the rumor of reduced pre-season roster size. 

Every one of them has said the union has to agree and they are wrong. Here is the language form the collective bargaining agreement, article 25 page 170

Section 2. Pre-Season: The pre-season cutdown dates and active player limits on such dates will be as determined by the Clubs.

The meaning her is that the clubs control how many players they have in camp. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

Just about every writer, podcast, and radio host has reacted to the rumor of reduced pre-season roster size. 

Every one of them has said the union has to agree and they are wrong. Here is the language form the collective bargaining agreement, article 25 page 170

Section 2. Pre-Season: The pre-season cutdown dates and active player limits on such dates will be as determined by the Clubs.

hope so... not sure it will matter in the end though, but I would hate to cut guys without even getting a look (should they go ahead with a season)

Fact is that it's much ado about nothing. It's only been a couple of years since they went form 80 to 90 in camp. Having fewer than 90 would be like a first cut down day. 

Reducing threnumber of preseason games doesn't have to be negotiated either - here's the language  - Article 23 page 166

Section 8. Number of Preseason Games: In any League Year of this Agreement in which there are 16 regular season games per Club per year, the NFL shall hold no more than four preseason games per Club per year except that there may be a fifth preseason game for the two Clubs competing in the annual Hall of Fame Game or any American Bowl game scheduled around the Hall of Fame Game date. In any League Year of this Agreement in which there are 17 regular season games per Club per year, the NFL shall hold no more than three preseason games per Club per year except that there may be a fourth preseason game for the two Clubs competing in the annual Hall of Fame Game or any American Bowl game scheduled around the Hall of Fame Game date. Section 9. Expenses: Clubs will reimburse all players under contract for reasonable

"No more than" means they can have fewer if they want to. 

1 hour ago, Rob331 said:

Everything I’ve seen indicates the league will INCREASE the number of players on the roster and practice squad and have additional players active on game day.

And given the dramatic nature of the changes in work rules because of COVID, the NFL would likely try to reach an agreement with the NFLPA before doing anything major. 

I dont get the logic of javing 75 guys on a field in a locker room rather than 90

15 less bodies isnt going to significantly decrease the spread of covid in a contact sport.

It just seems like they are placating instead of taking actual steps to make a difference 

It reminds me of the nba players wearing victims names on their jerseys while a nice gesture the act it self doesnt really do much to enact policing policy in america.

I think same can be said with this step to cut down to 75 from 90 nice gersture doesnt really do much to stop spread of covid.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Everything I’ve seen indicates the league will INCREASE the number of players on the roster and practice squad and have additional players active on game day.

Agreed - the issue is how many they take to camp. 90 as it is now, 80 as it was just a few years ago, or 75. 

On 7/4/2020 at 1:09 PM, Utebird said:

I dont get the logic of javing 75 guys on a field in a locker room rather than 90

15 less bodies isnt going to significantly decrease the spread of covid in a contact sport.

It just seems like they are placating instead of taking actual steps to make a difference 

It reminds me of the nba players wearing victims names on their jerseys while a nice gesture the act it self doesnt really do much to enact policing policy in america.

I think same can be said with this step to cut down to 75 from 90 nice gersture doesnt really do much to stop spread of covid.

Just like removing rebel icons like statues & flags and plastering   BLACK  LIVES  MATTER  

all over creation does nothing to address the systemic racism in our culture.

But it does make some people feel better. 

5 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Just like removing rebel icons like statues & flags and plastering   BLACK  LIVES  MATTER  

all over creation does nothing to address the systemic racism in our culture.

But it does make some people feel better. 

Thats quite the tangential rant.😳

4 hours ago, Utebird said:

Thats quite the tangential rant.😳

Not a rant . . . just noting a similarity betwixt the two situations. 

10 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Not a rant . . . just noting a similarity betwixt the two situations. 

Betwixt, now theres a word a havent heard for a minute👍

21 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I last heard it on Bewitched...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Utebird said:

Yeah, it's one of those olde words I heard somewhere in my distant past.

Checking with my trusty Merriam-Webster I see that it and 'between' have a common origin before a.d. 1200 . . . and it says that use of 'betwixt' dropped off after a.d. 1600 . . . but that 'betwixt'  isn't considered to be 'archaic'.  Uhhhhhh, huh??  Why not ??   

• Haha 1