Philadelphia Eagles: 2 Reasons Josh Sweat is poised for a breakout year

UK_EaglesFan89

Philadelphia Eagles: 2 Reasons Josh Sweat is poised for a breakout year

Expect Josh Sweat to shine in year three with the Philadelphia Eagles.

It wasn’t that long ago when, in the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles took a chance on Josh Sweat. He came out of Florida State as one of the better edge rushers in his draft class, but there were plenty of concerns about his history with knee injuries and the late break he gets out of his stance. Still, NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein still graded him as one of the top five edger rushers in 2018’s selection meeting with a 6.10 prospect grade, meaning that he was expected to be a good backup who could become a starter.

It was no secret he was one of the top athletes in the 2018 draft class. While he is six-foot-five and tips the scales at 251 pounds, he also ran a 4.53 forty-yard dash (third among edge rushers) before showcasing a 39.5-inch vertical jump (first among edge rushers) and had a 124-inch broad jump (second among edge rushers). Those marks were expected to improve his draft stock.

The production at Florida State wasn’t lacking either. From his first season in Tallahassee as a true freshman to his junior year, he made an impact on the field. His 14.5 sacks and 138 total tackles (29.0 resulted in a loss of yardage), along with his six pass deflections and three fumble recoveries in 35 games were all solid marks.

Maybe he could’ve stayed for his senior year, but he felt that he had proved what he needed to. Looking back, the multiple knee injuries may have made some NFL teams hesitant, and it could explain some of the slow starts he’s had as a pro. 2020 will be a breakout year. You can count on it. Here are the reasons why that’s the case.

https://insidetheiggles.com/2020/07/05/philadelphia-eagles-josh-sweat-is-poised-for-a-breakout-year/

Would be a major boost if Sweat could have a big year. 

Am I missing something??  I didn't see ONE reason (yet alone two) why we should expect Sweat to have a breakout season.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against the idea ... but the writer only posted college stats ... nothing with regard to why he feels he will break out in year three.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Am I missing something??  I didn't see ONE reason (yet alone two) why we should expect Sweat to have a breakout season.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against the idea ... but the writer only posted college stats ... nothing with regard to why he feels he will break out in year three.

Sometimes you need to click on the link and hit the "slideshow" buttons. They give the reasons there.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

You and me both. Sort of a hollow article without any substance. 

That being said - let's hope he really does have a breakout season and can replace BG in 2021. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Sometimes you need to click on the link and hit the "slideshow" buttons. They give the reasons there.

I hate articles with slide shows.  I find them extremely annoying.  

• Like 1

Did he get significantly stronger? That would be a reason.

Did he learn a few more pass rush moves? That would be a reason.

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Not a fan of those either. At least it wasn't 50 reasons ...

• Haha 1

Are we changing to a 3-4? That would be the only reason I can see him having a break out year. Hes more built for a 3-4 outside rusher. Im sure if he was on the Ravens or Packers he would excel. Maybe we can trade him and give him the chance at a break out year. 

4 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Are we changing to a 3-4? That would be the only reason I can see him having a break out year. Hes more built for a 3-4 outside rusher. Im sure if he was on the Ravens or Packers he would excel. Maybe we can trade him and give him the chance at a break out year. 

He played well in limited snaps last year. I think given more opportunities he could have a nice impact. Whether we'd call that break out is another matter of course. 

On 7/5/2020 at 3:54 PM, time2rock said:

Why? Don't you love watching ads?

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2020 at 10:59 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He played well in limited snaps last year. I think given more opportunities he could have a nice impact. Whether we'd call that break out is another matter of course. 

I think a breakout year for him as a non-starter would be to put up at least 8 sacks. Sweat was supposedly up around 265 lbs last year. It's nice that his knee has held up so far. I think that may always be an issue and he may have to accept not being a starter just to limit the wear and tear. 

• Like 1

I’ll tale the other side of this bet and double it that he will be out of the league in two years. 

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I think a breakout year for him as a non-starter would be to put up at least 8 sacks. Sweat was supposedly up around 265 lbs last year. It's nice that his knee has held up so far. I think that may always be an issue and he may have to accept not being a starter just to limit the wear and tear. 

Yeah I don't think he's ever going to be a starter due to his knee. I think he needs to be carefully managed in terms of his workload. But if he can accept that and if he can have an impact as that DE #3 then he could have a really good career here or in the NFL.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:59 PM, DeathByEagle said:

Exactly.  He is a 3-4 OLB