Mahomes Signs 10 year Extension with Chiefs

heyeaglefn

I'm still stunned by this. I mean I know Mahomes is a special talent but 10 years? Over half a billion dollars? What about the cap going down potentially?

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm still stunned by this. I mean I know Mahomes is a special talent but 10 years? Over half a billion dollars? What about the cap going down potentially?

I don't think the cap going down will affect players under contract. I doubt the league will just make teams just drop guys are cut players that were already under contract because they are now over it with the cap being less. I'm sure there will be some exceptions 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't think the cap going down will affect players under contract. I doubt the league will just make teams just drop guys are cut players that were already under contract because they are now over it with the cap being less. I'm sure there will be some exceptions 

I did think that. I mean they'd have to right? The players just signed a new CBA. I know these are exceptional circumstances but still I don't see how you can force players to take a pay cut now. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I did think that. I mean they'd have to right? The players just signed a new CBA. I know these are exceptional circumstances but still I don't see how you can force players to take a pay cut now. 

I don't either but, I don't think they will just dramatically drop the cap in the next year. I would think it will be a wait and see approach and wether or not they lose a full season before they make any drastic changes to caps and player pay cuts. If anything I would think we wouldn't see anything for another year or 2 before they make any big decisions. That's just my opinion though. I have no idea otherwise lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't either but, I don't think they will just dramatically drop the cap in the next year. I would think it will be a wait and see approach and wether or not they lose a full season before they make any drastic changes to caps and player pay cuts. If anything I would think we wouldn't see anything for another year or 2 before they make any big decisions. That's just my opinion though. I have no idea otherwise lol

Yeah I mean I think they'll have to do something clever otherwise pretty much every team will have to cut some top players. And those players won't be picked up by other teams because other teams couldn't afford them. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean I think they'll have to do something clever otherwise pretty much every team will have to cut some top players. And those players won't be picked up by other teams because other teams couldn't afford them. 

It would definitely have to be a joint decision for both players and teams. So they can stick to the rosters they built . 

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It would definitely have to be a joint decision for both players and teams. So they can stick to the rosters they built . 

Yeah, I mean has the cap ever gone down before?

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah, I mean has the cap ever gone down before?

Not that I'm aware of. 

As I understand it the cap is calculated as a portion of NFL/team revenues. If team/NFL revenues level off or decline long term, I'd presume the cap will follow. Probably not for one year with extraordinary circumstances though.

I was just thinking..  when does it stop?  These contracts are completely ridiculous.  What's the ceiling?  50 million a year?  75? 100?  Will we see a 10 year 1 billion contract?   

Congratulations to Mahomes.

This Twitter feed has a good breakdown of the numbers starting here:

Long story short: I am doubtful Mahomes sees all $500 million. I think his contract gets reworked eventually. There are outs for the Chiefs, and I typically feel like longer deals are team friendly because they can spread out the bonuses... But Mahomes has locked himself in Kansas City for at least the next few years. And it seems like it's a fair deal to the player.

My first thought was "Wow, what an idiot... 10 years!" but looking at the money, I don't blame him. 

3 hours ago, Boogyman said:

FB_IMG_1594157356330.thumb.jpg.51a7d01d2f48303e7c2287b223f751b8.jpg

I would hope that Bobby Bonilla sends his agent at least a fruit basket every Christmas, if not more than that. 

On 7/6/2020 at 11:02 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Exactly, I don't see how this would be a sign for Dak to throw his hands up and say I'm not as good as Mahomes so I'll just take less then what I was asking for originally. 

All I'm saying is Dak isn't in the same league as Mahomes. I'm pretty sure he understands that but still trying to get as much as he can. No way Jerry pay him close to that. Every other QB coming up in a contract year might as well start making demands close to Mahomes $$$$$

Watson is coming soon. I'm assuming he'll be made the second highest paid QB when his time comes. 

2 hours ago, Heavywchamp said:

All I'm saying is Dak isn't in the same league as Mahomes. I'm pretty sure he understands that but still trying to get as much as he can. No way Jerry pay him close to that. Every other QB coming up in a contract year might as well start making demands close to Mahomes $$$$$

He doesn't need to be as good. Once the bar gets raised, they all are going to get more money than they would have gotten before.

15 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

He doesn't need to be as good. Once the bar gets raised, they all are going to get more money than they would have gotten before.

Yeah agree. That's the way the contract market goes. One year a player gets a huge contract, the next year another player at that position raises the bar again and so on. Dak will now get a bigger contract as a result of this Mahomes deal than he would have if he signed before Mahomes had.

Yes, I understand, Wentz has not accomplished what Mahomie has, but looking at what the going rate is and is going to be for a starting QB ( a good one) in the NFL, in no way shape or form can we now say that Howie wasn't incredibly smart in locking Wentz up when he did with that contract.  Wentz's contract is going to be so much more affordable than Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, etc......

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Yes, I understand, Wentz has not accomplished what Mahomie has, but looking at what the going rate is and is going to be for a starting QB ( a good one) in the NFL, in no way shape or form can we now say that Howie wasn't incredibly smart in locking Wentz up when he did with that contract.  Wentz's contract is going to be so much more affordable than Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, etc......

That's why I don't get when people lose their damn minds when a QB signs for so much because they don't stay the highest paid QB for long. In about another year Wentz's contract will look like a bargain

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah agree. That's the way the contract market goes. One year a player gets a huge contract, the next year another player at that position raises the bar again and so on. Dak will now get a bigger contract as a result of this Mahomes deal than he would have if he signed before Mahomes had.

Completely disagree. I think it'll be about the same or close to what his orginal request and that'llbe due to an increased cap. Kirk Cousins might as well be licking his chops or any other average to above average might as well start demanding Mahomes money. With that said, I hope Dak get a 10 year 600M

On 7/6/2020 at 8:59 PM, EricAllenPick6 said:

Yup, and once again it pays off to lock your players up early.  Jerruh waited.  It’s gonna cost him a lot.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:46 PM, dawkins4prez said:

The market just got completely reset.  Dak is set up fro a big year.  Jerruh gonna paaaayyyy.

Jerry will be a moron if he pays Dak. It would be funny if he did.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:08 AM, What The F said:

I was just thinking..  when does it stop?  These contracts are completely ridiculous.  What's the ceiling?  50 million a year?  75? 100?  Will we see a 10 year 1 billion contract?   

Maybe Jerry can stop this if he doesn't pay Dak and say Dak was being unreasonable. After all, Jerry is one who introduced salary cap to NFL. Or do it based on how a player is compared to another player. Or word 'no'. Mahomes is worth contract he got.

His contract won't have a big effect on players like Dak. Mahomes is a rare case. Much younger, just won a SB after only his 2nd year starting. MVP candidate, SB MVP. Dak is not even in the ball park, no one in the league is right now to that candidate. No Lamar Jackson is not even close. yes hes young, but hes not the best QB out there. 

If these guys try to use this contract as an example to base off, they will be waiting a long time for a new deal. Russell Wilson's deal will still be the base line. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

His contract won't have a big effect on players like Dak. Mahomes is a rare case. Much younger, just won a SB after only his 2nd year starting. MVP candidate, SB MVP. Dak is not even in the ball park, no one in the league is right now to that candidate. No Lamar Jackson is not even close. yes hes young, but hes not the best QB out there. 

If these guys try to use this contract as an example to base off, they will be waiting a long time for a new deal. Russell Wilson's deal will still be the base line. 

Someone should probably inform him this.