Has Elliot surpassed Akers as our GOAT kicker?

Uscg-green

I loved Akers. I have a picture I took with him when I was in the military and we were invited too their training camp. He also did it longer but Elliot has made some huge kicks for this franchise. He is so clutch. I think it's pretty close but , yes. 

That's a yes for me.

Actually, it was a yes after the Super Bowl win.

Ice water in his veins.

An All-Time Eagles great.

• Like 7

Akers couldn't even be the holder on Elliott's FG attempts. Elliott is the GOAT!!!!!

Usually best after a career to make such statements but it's a safe bet, Jake the Make.

• Like 2

The guy has not missed a kick in post season in like 10 odd games. Amazing clutch kicker.

The Eagles don't win a SB sans Elliot - and that's taking nothing away from Akers.  Elliot is an absolute weapon.

I didn’t follow during the Akers days but yeah I think so. Elliot is just so damn clutch and so reliable. From 50 yards he’s almost a sure thing and that’s not an easy kick.

I hold Akers in high regard but Elliot has just been so consistently elite for years now, so I’m good with saying yes. I posted this in the blog earlier that the only kicker I feel comfortable saying is better than Elliot in the league right now is Tucker, who’s probably the GOAT for kickers. 

The one thing I do miss from Akers, and this is not a slight on Elliott, is Akers would make some big hits on returns back in the day. Those were always fun, but as for kicking ability, Akers only has longetivity on Jake right now, and that’ll be coming to an end in the not so distant future. Elliott has two 60+ yard kicks to his name. He holds the rookie record for field goal length in a Super Bowl, which he set, then later in the game broke his own record. His rookie year, he did have struggles on PATs, but those even seem like a non issue now. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I didn’t follow during the Akers days but yeah I think so. Elliot is just so damn clutch and so reliable. From 50 yards he’s almost a sure thing and that’s not an easy kick.

Akers was a great kicker in his own right, but he did not have the leg Elliott has. He was a tough dude though. I remember one game he was kicking on a bad leg. Every kick he grimaced the whole time, but gutted it out. He wasn’t afraid to mix it up and tackle guys too. He into martial arts so he was always a little out there. That speech at the draft was classic. Akers was a great kicker. Sucks Andy tried to blame him for that playoff loss and threw him under the bus. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

That speech at the draft was classic

I'm in the minority here I thought it was obnoxious in his high pitched voice lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

I loved Akers. I have a picture I took with him when I was in the military and we were invited too their training camp. He also did it longer but Elliot has made some huge kicks for this franchise. He is so clutch. I think it's pretty close but , yes. 

At this moment in time, the answer depends on context.   If you ask me to choose one to make a clutch kick with the Super Bowl on the line in the prime of their career... I go Elliott.  Meanwhile, if you ask me who had the greatest career as an Eagles' kicker... I still give the nod to Akers ever so slightly.  Akers has a LONGER resume, but Elliott has had some bigger moments.   In general though, the opportunity for these moments are more in line with the team they played for rather than themselves.   Elliott's 61 yarder against the Giants was great... but it was a great opportunity granted to him by the team getting into that position.  Is a 51 yarder to win the game less impressive?  I suppose so, but is it the fault of the kicker that the team got him 10 yards closer?  Absolutely not.

Akers played 188 games for the Eagles (12 seasons).  Jake is at 99 (7 seasons).  Akers has 294 FG made, Elliott 147 FG made.    Elliott does have a higher hit percentage with the Eagles (85%) compared to Akers (82.4%).  Jake is on pace to surpass Akers for the career.  He just needs to do it a little longer.  

• Like 2

I don’t know if he’s passed Akers yet, but I have to say when he was ready to kick the game winning FG, I felt complete confidence it was going to be good. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm in the minority here I thought it was obnoxious in his high pitched voice lol

That’s cause you hate Chip Kelly. 😂

• Haha 1

Elliot became #1 with the 61 yarder walk off against NY in 2017.

Just for comparison's sake, which isn't quite even for full seasons, but here's a comparison. 

(7 full seasons)

image.png

(6 full seasons plus this season to date)

image.png

• Like 1