Has Elliot surpassed Akers as our GOAT kicker?

Uscg-green

8 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm in the minority here I thought it was obnoxious in his high pitched voice lol

That's part of it: the friggin KICKER with a nerdy voice in their house ROASTED them.

:roll:

• Like 1

Said this in the PBP thread, I haven´t had confidence in a kicker like this since Akers. I love the guy, but think Jake is even better in most aspects. One thing we may have forgotten about Akers, though - he was build like a Fin´ safety. Absolutely jacked, and he could lay the wood, too

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

That's part of it: the friggin KICKER with a nerdy voice in their house ROASTED them.

:roll:

Still found it obnoxious lol. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

Still found it obnoxious lol. 

More importantly, Dallas fans found it obnoxious. :roll:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Loved Akers but I think Elliott has surpassed him.  He only had one rough season, he's got two 61 yard field goals, over 60% from 50+, was clutch in the Superbowl, etc. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The one thing I do miss from Akers, and this is not a slight on Elliott, is Akers would make some big hits on returns back in the day. Those were always fun, but as for kicking ability, Akers only has longetivity on Jake right now, and that’ll be coming to an end in the not so distant future. Elliott has two 60+ yard kicks to his name. He holds the rookie record for field goal length in a Super Bowl, which he set, then later in the game broke his own record. His rookie year, he did have struggles on PATs, but those even seem like a non issue now. 

Another thing that Akers was really great at was putting our guys in a good position to recover an onside kick. It seems like a lost art now as I see kickers set the ball down without a tee and try to spin it for 12 yards. That crap almost never works.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Another thing that Akers was really great at was putting our guys in a good position to recover an onside kick. It seems like a lost art now as I see kickers set the ball down without a tee and try to spin it for 12 yards. That crap almost never works.

There have been rule changes  that make it almost impossible to recover an onsides these days. 

Yes.  Some of it is opportunity and circumstance.  The sheer number of long game-on-the-line huge kicks that he's had in big regular season games, playoffs, and SB are something that not many kickers even have the opportunity for...and he's had more of those chances than Akers.  But that's how it goes.  Elliott has had those opportunities and has absolutely nailed them.

I always liked Akers but Elliot has been just as good. Just gotta hope it continues.

On 10/3/2023 at 3:22 AM, mr_irie1 said:

New onside kick rule all but eliminated the onside kick. 

Same with new KR rules today. I’ve seen people mention how Akers would make some tackles on returns, but we have no clue if Jake would also be doing that because there are pretty much no kick returns anymore. 

31 minutes ago, nipples said:

New onside kick rule all but eliminated the onside kick. 

Same with new KR rules today. I’ve seen people mention how Akers would make some tackles on returns, but we have no clue if Jake would also be doing that because there are pretty much no kick returns anymore. 

In 2017 vs Dallas Jake was concussed trying to make a tackle then we were going for 2 all game and Kamu Grugier-Hill did kickoffs 🤣🤣

• Like 1

I credit the team for locking him up long term.  Elliot is a weapon - a seasoned weapon with Super Bowl experience.

• 1 month later...

Jake won’t be our best-ever kicker until we’ve all learned how to spell his last name, as displayed across the back of his shoulders.

• Haha 1

Freddie Mitchell can thank his hands, but I'm thanking the Bengals for not wanting Jake in 2017!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When you see some of the bums that teams are running out at kicker this year, you realise how lucky we are to have had Elliott these last few years, especially from 50+.

It was close before this season started.  It is now officially Elliott... on the field.

All that's left for Jake to do is to troll Dallas fans the way Akers did on draft night 2018.

It´s just unbelievable. I had absolutely no doubt that he would make that 59 yarder to take the game into OT. None at all, despite the distance, conditions and pressure. Give that man the Freedom of Philadelphia.

• Like 2

Yes. The SB win helps. I remember Akers missing some clutch FGs, which is why he didn't finish his career with the Eagles. 

Yes, Jake has passed David. Very few franchises have 2 reverential place kickers in a 20-year span.  

I loved Akers because he was so dependable and he was not afraid to make tackles during returns....but I think Eliot is surpassing him right now and will actually become the best kicker we have ever had in just a few more years.....