Upcoming Roster Moves. Who gets cut?

erformc

Nakobe Dean's 21 day IR return window was opened yesterday, and the likelihood is that he comes off the IR and plays against the Jets.  He would fill the open spot on the roster. However, Branden Mann must to be added to the 53-man roster this week. Conceivably they could cut Mann, hope no one signs him, then resign him (or even Siposs) to the PS and play "Practice Squad Punter Roulette" for another 3 weeks, although that's doubtful and not a great strategy.

Without an obvious candidate for a phantom IR trip the question is who gets cut to make room for Mann. My guesses are (in order):

1. Terrell Edmunds. So long as Sydney Brown is ready to go, I could see him getting cut. He played really poorly in the Commanders game and even if he got claimed it wouldn't really be a big deal. He's not even a big ST contributor.
2. Mario Goodrich. He's young and understandably struggled when called on to play.  He might getting claimed given the desperate need leaguewide for CBs, but really, he was always a "lottery ticket" type of player in the same category of  Kary Vincent, Jr., Mac McCain and Tay Gowan.
3. Kentavious Street - He's a good player and would likely get claimed. At this point he's a better option than Ojomo, but he's in the last year of his contract and having 7 DTs is a luxury. Because of injuries  he was the 4th DT in the rotation last week, yet only played 29% of the defensive snaps and didn't make much of an impact).  When everyone is healthy, the 4th DT gets a little over 40%. 
4.  Rachad Penny - He's not caught on yet, but with Swift's injury history you almost have to keep him around just in case. It's not like there's a better option on the PS.

Assuming no injuries in the next 2 weeks that lead to an IR sting, we'll be having this same discussion in 2 weeks once Roby runs out of PS elevations.

• Like 1

My guess is Goodrich is let go now that they have Roby ... they sign him to PS assuming he clears waivers.  However, after another 2 weeks lapse they will need to make yet another roster move as Roby will need to be signed.  

Oh and the counter does not reset to zero if you cut a player and bring him back to the PS ... you don't get 3 more opportunities to elevate them and move them back to the PS without exposing them to waivers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

My guess is Goodrich is let go now that they have Roby ... they sign him to PS assuming he clears waivers.  However, after another 2 weeks lapse they will need to make yet another roster move as Roby will need to be signed.  

Oh and the counter does not reset to zero if you cut a player and bring him back to the PS ... you don't get 3 more opportunities to elevate them and move them back to the PS without exposing them to waivers.  

are you sure about the call up reset?  I thought I read it does reset after you send them thru waivers and re-sign them to the PS.  

I think Ben O. is another cut possibility. They didn't give up that much for him anyway.

Also think Street or Marlon Tuipulotu could be traded rather than outright released. Not for much but I think they could get something late.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieselEagle said:

are you sure about the call up reset?  I thought I read it does reset after you send them thru waivers and re-sign them to the PS.  

from google so obviously accurate:

Practice squad players can be gameday elevations a maximum of 3 times, at which point they either have to be signed to the active roster or pass through waivers, then be re-signed to the practice squad, at which point they are eligible for another 3 games (regular or postseason).

but we are going to find out if that's true because if it is they would just waive Mann.  no sense adding him to the roster no other team wants him.  

This will never happen, for a multitude of reasons, but what about Mariota?  If cut, doesn't he get his full contract from us anyway unless some claims him on waivers?

1. He's not getting claimed on waivers for that price.
2. Once he clears waivers, he can be a PS call up for the next 4 weeks as the backup QB.  Once things settle down, you can call him back to the active roster.  But it buys you an extra spot for the roster for the time being.

20 minutes ago, DieselEagle said:

Practice squad players can be gameday elevations a maximum of 3 times, at which point they either have to be signed to the active roster or pass through waivers, then be re-signed to the practice squad, at which point they are eligible for another 3 games (regular or postseason).

but we are going to find out if that's true because if it is they would just waive Mann.  no sense adding him to the roster no other team wants him.  

Thanks for the correction.  I could have sworn I read the opposite when the same discussions were held about elevating Covey and Siposs.  I’ll see if I can find that source.  

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

4 hours ago, DieselEagle said:

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Thanks for the correction.  I could have sworn I read the opposite when the same discussions were held about elevating Covey and Siposs.  I’ll see if I can find that source.  

According to that piece, in order to pass through waivers, you would have to be eligible for waivers. Any player with 4 accrued seasons would not be subject to waivers and, I suppose, wouldn't meet that qualification. Maybe that closes a potential loophole where a team and an accrued vet agree to repeated releases and re-signings with the same team in order to circumvent the PS elevation limit. I believe both Mann and Siposs are still subject to waivers.

I struggle to see the point of keeping Penny around to be a healthy scratch every week, Similarly Okwuegbunam we haven't used for a single snap yet, it's hard to see the point of keeping a 4th TE with no playing time at all on the active roster, it's not like we use 12 personnel enough to justify 4 TE's. You could cut either.

Goodrich isn't going to be hugely sought after for his play, the only reason he'd be picked up is a division rival to get the intricacies of Desai's scheme

• Like 2

20 hours ago, erformc said:

3. Kentavious Street - He's a good player and would likely get claimed. At this point he's a better option than Ojomo,

I think Ojomo will be a productive starter in the league, no way would I cut him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I struggle to see the point of keeping Penny around to be a healthy scratch every week, Similarly Okwuegbunam we haven't used for a single snap yet, it's hard to see the point of keeping a 4th TE with no playing time at all on the active roster, it's not like we use 12 personnel enough to justify 4 TE's. You could cut either.

Goodrich isn't going to be hugely sought after for his play, the only reason he'd be picked up is a division rival to get the intricacies of Desai's scheme

We've always had at least 4 RBs with one being deactive each week. We've already seen Gainwell and Scott miss games and had to activate Penny a couple times. The insurance policy outweighs the cap hit and 4 RBs on the 53 is a minimal number. 

I agree about Goodrich, In his regular season snaps, he didn't do anything to impress other teams. We'd probably be able to get him back on the PS.

Okwuegbunam is a project the Eagles wanted. I don't think that was ever about immediate returns. He's been here long enough now that if one of our TEs gets an injury, he should be familiar with the offense and able to play. 

30 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

We've always had at least 4 RBs with one being deactive each week. We've already seen Gainwell and Scott miss games and had to activate Penny a couple times. The insurance policy outweighs the cap hit and 4 RBs on the 53 is a minimal number. 

I agree about Goodrich, In his regular season snaps, he didn't do anything to impress other teams. We'd probably be able to get him back on the PS.

Okwuegbunam is a project the Eagles wanted. I don't think that was ever about immediate returns. He's been here long enough now that if one of our TEs gets an injury, he should be familiar with the offense and able to play. 

3 running backs should be enough given none of them are running a bell cow workload, there are guys on the street we could bring in in an emergency if the need arose.

If Okwuegbunam is a project he doesn't need to be on the 53.

6 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I think Ojomo will be a productive starter in the league, no way would I cut him.

I meant that Street was a better option than Ojomo today but that I didn’t want to cut Ojomo because he’s a guy you wanna keep for the future. 

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

They finally started throwing to their 1st TE in week 5, I think they're good without that 4th TE.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

3 running backs should be enough given none of them are running a bell cow workload, there are guys on the street we could bring in in an emergency if the need arose.

So you're OK with "guys on the street" talent at RB?

From my perspective, with the attitude on RBs these days there's no reason to not have top of the line runners in your RB room and I don't see Gainwell and Penny as TOL runners, I'd play Scott over both of those guys. 

While you don't need a cow bell runner you do need backs with a variety of running styles that they execute well.

10 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If Okwuegbunam is a project he doesn't need to be on the 53.

Jordan Mailata was a project. Fortunately we kept him on the 53 or IR before he was ready to play. We never exposed him to other teams, though. We don't need 53 guys available for game day either. 

12 hours ago, EagleVA said:

So you're OK with "guys on the street" talent at RB?

From my perspective, with the attitude on RBs these days there's no reason to not have top of the line runners in your RB room and I don't see Gainwell and Penny as TOL runners, I'd play Scott over both of those guys. 

While you don't need a cow bell runner you do need backs with a variety of running styles that they execute well.

Leonard Fournette is still available as a free agent as of right now, if somehow we lost Swift and one other, would he be a downgrade on Penny?

9 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Leonard Fournette is still available as a free agent as of right now, if somehow we lost Swift and one other, would he be a downgrade on Penny?

Who knows, Penny hasn't gotten on the field, nobody knows what he brings to the table.

On 10/12/2023 at 12:03 PM, NOTW said:

They finally started throwing to their 1st TE in week 5, I think they're good without that 4th TE.  :lol:

By that logic we do not need TE3 either on the roster.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Who knows, Penny hasn't gotten on the field, nobody knows what he brings to the table.

Penny is a mystery. Either Eagles are saving him for the second half of the season? Or Maybe he can be traded? I do not know...but considering how much money they paid to him...he is not exactly a cut material at this point.

16 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

By that logic we do not need TE3 either on the roster.

Sure.  But the premise was finding 1 roster spot.  :P

• Like 1