Eric Allen named as a Finalist for the 2024 Hall of Fame Class (his first time as a finalist)

VaBeach_Eagle

EDIT 12/28/2023: Eric Allen made it to the Finalist list for the first time, none of the others did.

They haven't whittled the list down yet, that's coming sometime here in November. Here's the list of former Eagles who are in contention, below that in the spoiler is the full list (if I missed a former Eagle, let me know and I'll adjust the list):

QUARTERBACKS: Randall Cunningham, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick
RUNNING BACKS: Charlie Garner,  Ricky Watters, Brian Westbrook
WIDE RECEIVERS:  Irving Fryar
DEFENSIVE LINEMEN:  Haloti Ngata (DT)
LINEBACKERS: Takeo Spikes (How is Seth not on the list?! :nonono:)
DEFENSIVE BACKS: Eric Allen (CB),  Troy Vincent (CB)
PUNTERS/KICKERS: David Akers (K), Gary Anderson (K), Jeff Feagles (P), Sean Landeta (P) 
SPECIAL TEAMS:  Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Reno Mahe (NFL God :huh:) just kidding of course

Who (if any of them) has a realistic chance of getting the nod?  Right off, I want to say Eric Allen. Sentimental me also wants to say Randall. Realist me doesn't think he'll get it. There's several on the list that I think deserve it and had careers that would warrant it, but really the only one that I think has a realistic shot, is Eric Allen. It's a crime that he's not in there already.

Spoiler

QUARTERBACKS (10): Marc Bulger, Randall Cunningham, Jake Delhomme, Doug Flutie, Rich Gannon, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Tony Romo, Michael Vick.

RUNNING BACKS (33): Shaun Alexander, Terry Allen, Mike Alstott, Jamal Anderson, Tiki Barber, Michael Bates (also KR), Jamaal Charles, Larry Centers (FB), Stephen Davis, Corey Dillon, Warrick Dunn, Charlie Garner, Eddie George, Ahman Green, Priest Holmes, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, Daryl Johnston (FB), Thomas Jones, John Kuhn (FB), Vonta Leach, Dorsey Levens, Jamal Lewis, Eric Metcalf (also WR/PR/KR), Glyn Milburn (also WR), Lorenzo Neal (FB), Tony Richardson (FB), Robert Smith, Fred Taylor, Chris Warren, Ricky Watters, Brian Westbrook, Ricky Williams.

WIDE RECEIVERS (23): Anquan Boldin, Troy Brown (also PR/KR), Donald Driver, Antonio Freeman, Irving Fryar, Dante Hall, Devin Hester* (also PR/KR), Torry Holt*, Joe Horn, Andre Johnson*, Chad Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Derrick Mason, Herman Moore, Muhsin Muhammad, Jordy Nelson, Andre Rison, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Steve Smith Sr., Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne*, Wes Welker.

TIGHT ENDS (3): Ben Coates, Antonio Gates, Wesley Walls.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (25): Willie Anderson* (T), Bruce Armstrong (T/G), Matt Birk (C), Lomas Brown (T), Ruben Brown (G), Jahri Evans (G), Kevin Glover (C/G), Olin Kreutz (C), T.J. Lang (T), Matt Light (T), Nick Mangold (C), Logan Mankins (G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G/T), Jeff Saturday (C), Mark Schlereth (G/C), Josh Sitton (G), Chris Snee (G), Mark Stepnoski (C), Dave Szott (G), Max Unger (C), Brian Waters (G), Richmond Webb (T), Erik Williams (T), Steve Wisniewski (G).

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (20): John Abraham (DE also LB), Jared Allen* (DE), Dwight Freeney* (DE), La’Roi Glover (DT/NT), Casey Hampton (DT/NT), Robert Mathis (DE), Haloti Ngata (DT), Leslie O’Neal (DE), Julius Peppers (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Justin Smith (DE), Neil Smith (DE), Dana Stubblefield (DT), Henry Thomas (DT/NT), Justin Tuck (DE), Ted Washington (NT/DT), Vince Wilfork (DT/NT), Jamal Williams (DT/NT), Kevin Williams (DT), Pat Williams (DT).

LINEBACKERS (25): Jesse Armstead, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Cornelius Bennett, Lance Briggs, Keith Brooking, NaVorro Bowman, Tedy Bruschi, Karlos Dansby, Donnie Edwards, James Farrior, London Fletcher, James Harrison, Larry Izzo, Willie McGinest (also DE), Hardy Nickerson, Ken Norton Jr., Bryce Paup, Julian Peterson, Joey Porter, Takeo Spikes, Jessie Tuggle, Mike Vrabel, Patrick Willis*, Al Wilson, Lee Woodall.

DEFENSIVE BACKS (17): Eric Allen (CB), Kam Chancellor (S), Nick Collins (DB), Antonio Cromartie (CB), Dré Bly (DB), Merton Hanks (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Carnell Lake (DB), Tim McDonald (S), Eugene Robinson (DB), Samari Rolle (DB), Allen Rossum (DB), Bob Sanders (S), Charles Tillman (CB), Troy Vincent (CB), Antoine Winfield (DB), Darren Woodson* (S).

PUNTERS/KICKERS (15): David Akers (K), Gary Anderson (K), Darren Bennett (P), Jason Elam (K), Jeff Feagles (P), Jason Hanson (K), John Kasay (K), Sean Landeta (P), Shane Lechler (P), Brad Maynard (P), Pat McAfee (P), Brian Moorman (P), Matt Stover (K), Matt Turk (P), Mike Vanderjagt (K).

SPECIAL TEAMS (2): Josh Cribbs (KR/PR also WR), Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB).

• Like 1

Funny reading the names on the list and I’m like Haloti Ngata?!?  Completely forgot he was here for a year.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Funny reading the names on the list and I’m like Haloti Ngata?!?  Completely forgot he was here for a year.  

Yeah, I remembered but wasn't sure if it was a 'false' memory or a real one and I had to look him up to be sure lol. 

• Haha 1

Ricky Watters checks all of the NFL HOF boxes, but is so disliked by many. He wasn’t out there hurting anyone. All he ever did was ask "for who for what” and he never lived it down. He’s a Super Bowl champion, went to three different teams and was successful, but will likely never make it to the Hall despite rushing for over 10k yards. 

• Like 2

Another guy on this list who probably will never get his due is Randall Cunningham. This guy hardly ever got any decent coaching and for much of his career a TE and a Runningback were his best receivers. His division won the Superbowl nearly every season he played for the Eagles. That’s how stacked his opponents were. Mike Vick is often credited for being the quarterback that revolutionized the game, but I’d say Randall was that guy. Some older folks would probably say Fran Tarkenton though…. They’re probably right on that one. Still Randall was his own force of nature and his numbers aren’t that far off from Troy Aikman’s. Aikman can only be described as a Hall of Fame quarterback based off no reason other than he participated in three Super Bowl victories. His numbers as a whole are fairly pedestrian. Here’s a look at how Randall compared to Aikman, Vick and Tarkenton though Fran kind of blows him out of the water big time. 😂

8BCA2512-A315-4362-BDCC-2DE61E2C9517.jpeg

5AB1C702-778F-4188-B600-44974ACE8D87.jpeg

E9386365-744E-4956-A759-D6081BB247CA.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Captain F said:

Hines Ward

Antonio Gates

Jeff Saturday 

Vince Wilfork

Darren Woodson

Most of those haven't made it so far and I don't see what would change that, Ward has a Superbowl MVP but otherwise he's a Hall of Pretty Good,  Less yardage than a couple of other nominees and not much more than Derrick Mason who has no shot at getting in, I think Reggie Wayne has a better shot than Ward.

I'd take Gates and Julius Peppers to get in first ballot, both comfortably top 5 all time statistically for their position, with all pro appearances to back it up.

13 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

(How is Seth not on the list?! :nonono:)

Even in his era, it was the 3-4 OLBs (today know as edge rushers) that got most of the love at the end of the year. With sack totals being the go-to defensive measuring stick, Joyner was overshadowed by many of his own teammates when it came to praise. 

22 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

They haven't whittled the list down yet, that's coming sometime here in November. Here's the list of former Eagles who are in contention, below that in the spoiler is the full list (if I missed a former Eagle, let me know and I'll adjust the list):

PUNTERS/KICKERS: David Akers (K), Gary Anderson (K), Jeff Feagles (P), Sean Landeta (P) 
SPECIAL TEAMS:  Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Reno Mahe (NFL God :huh:) just kidding of course

Who (if any of them) has a realistic chance of getting the nod?  Right off, I want to say Eric Allen. Sentimental me also wants to say Randall. Realist me doesn't think he'll get it. There's several on the list that I think deserve it and had careers that would warrant it, but really the only one that I think has a realistic shot, is Eric Allen. It's a crime that he's not in there already.

Reveal hidden contents

QUARTERBACKS (10): Marc Bulger, Randall Cunningham, Jake Delhomme, Doug Flutie, Rich Gannon, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Tony Romo, Michael Vick.

RUNNING BACKS (33): Shaun Alexander, Terry Allen, Mike Alstott, Jamal Anderson, Tiki Barber, Michael Bates (also KR), Jamaal Charles, Larry Centers (FB), Stephen Davis, Corey Dillon, Warrick Dunn, Charlie Garner, Eddie George, Ahman Green, Priest Holmes, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, Daryl Johnston (FB), Thomas Jones, John Kuhn (FB), Vonta Leach, Dorsey Levens, Jamal Lewis, Eric Metcalf (also WR/PR/KR), Glyn Milburn (also WR), Lorenzo Neal (FB), Tony Richardson (FB), Robert Smith, Fred Taylor, Chris Warren, Ricky Watters, Brian Westbrook, Ricky Williams.

WIDE RECEIVERS (23): Anquan Boldin, Troy Brown (also PR/KR), Donald Driver, Antonio Freeman, Irving Fryar, Dante Hall, Devin Hester* (also PR/KR), Torry Holt*, Joe Horn, Andre Johnson*, Chad Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Derrick Mason, Herman Moore, Muhsin Muhammad, Jordy Nelson, Andre Rison, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Steve Smith Sr., Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne*, Wes Welker.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (25): Willie Anderson* (T), Bruce Armstrong (T/G), Matt Birk (C), Lomas Brown (T), Ruben Brown (G), Jahri Evans (G), Kevin Glover (C/G), Olin Kreutz (C), T.J. Lang (T), Matt Light (T), Nick Mangold (C), Logan Mankins (G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G/T), Jeff Saturday (C), Mark Schlereth (G/C), Josh Sitton (G), Chris Snee (G), Mark Stepnoski (C), Dave Szott (G), Max Unger (C), Brian Waters (G), Richmond Webb (T), Erik Williams (T), Steve Wisniewski (G).

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (20): John Abraham (DE also LB), Jared Allen* (DE), Dwight Freeney* (DE), La’Roi Glover (DT/NT), Casey Hampton (DT/NT), Robert Mathis (DE), Haloti Ngata (DT), Leslie O’Neal (DE), Julius Peppers (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Justin Smith (DE), Neil Smith (DE), Dana Stubblefield (DT), Henry Thomas (DT/NT), Justin Tuck (DE), Ted Washington (NT/DT), Vince Wilfork (DT/NT), Jamal Williams (DT/NT), Kevin Williams (DT), Pat Williams (DT).

LINEBACKERS (25): Jesse Armstead, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Cornelius Bennett, Lance Briggs, Keith Brooking, NaVorro Bowman, Tedy Bruschi, Karlos Dansby, Donnie Edwards, James Farrior, London Fletcher, James Harrison, Larry Izzo, Willie McGinest (also DE), Hardy Nickerson, Ken Norton Jr., Bryce Paup, Julian Peterson, Joey Porter, Takeo Spikes, Jessie Tuggle, Mike Vrabel, Patrick Willis*, Al Wilson, Lee Woodall.

DEFENSIVE BACKS (17): Eric Allen (CB), Kam Chancellor (S), Nick Collins (DB), Antonio Cromartie (CB), Dré Bly (DB), Merton Hanks (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Carnell Lake (DB), Tim McDonald (S), Eugene Robinson (DB), Samari Rolle (DB), Allen Rossum (DB), Bob Sanders (S), Charles Tillman (CB), Troy Vincent (CB), Antoine Winfield (DB), Darren Woodson* (S).

PUNTERS/KICKERS (15): David Akers (K), Gary Anderson (K), Darren Bennett (P), Jason Elam (K), Jeff Feagles (P), Jason Hanson (K), John Kasay (K), Sean Landeta (P), Shane Lechler (P), Brad Maynard (P), Pat McAfee (P), Brian Moorman (P), Matt Stover (K), Matt Turk (P), Mike Vanderjagt (K).

Haloti Ngata (DT) a five time Pro Bowler will most likely get int the HOF at some point, but he was barely an Eagle. He will be remembered as a Baltimore Raven. (16 seasons in Baltimore)!

I could see a strong argument made by many for Randall Cunningham simply because many see him as the first true running QB scrambler style.As a four time Pro Bowl QB that doesn't hurt him either. 

Brian Mitchell is an interesting prospect simply because of his Special Teams contributions, He still holds the record for all time leader in total yards.

23 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

RUNNING BACKS:  Ricky Watters

For who? For what?

The HOF needs to be more exclusive, seems like they put too many people in that don't quite deserve it.  Having said that: Eric Allen.

• Like 5

There are a lot of really good players listed but........ All time greats? Idk. Gates, Peppers,Wilfork... maybe

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

The HOF needs to be more exclusive, seems like they put too many people in that don't quite deserve it.  Having said that: Eric Allen.

I sort of disagree. A lot of weight is put on winning championships, so some players don't really get the consideration they deserve. If a 70-80 year old man is getting a yellow jacket and a bust made, the question is, "why did that take so long?" That, to me, says it's a little too exclusive. Either you had a positive impact on the game and played at a high level, or you didn't. The selection committee can't help but vote in all the latest players that they labeled "Future Hall of Famer" in every article they wrote during that player's playing time. The fact that you have players like Eric Allen that are long forgotten is no surprise since they've already established that Mahomes, Kelce and his other brother Kelce, JP, Jefferson, TJ Watt, McCaffrey, Trent Williams, Zach Martin, Myles Garrett, Aaron Donald, Parsons, Fred Warner, etc... are all "future Hall of Famers."

Also, one of the less obvious guys that will probably never get in that I think is deserving is Brian Mitchell. I would put Mitchell in before Watters any day of the week. I see people down-playing the "for who? for what?" --- I mean it doesn't get anymore clear than that admission right there. You make those plays for you, your team, the fans ... and also the HOF selection committee. 

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Perhaps there needs to be a separation of groups. The eras of football have changed. Running backs used to dominate the game in the past, but now it’s quarterbacks and receivers. Statistically quarterbacks in the past do not really add up to some average guys of today, but so much has changed in the game due to rules and style of play. Overall I’m just trying to state it’s hard to be exclusive when you’re comparing players to other players especially ones from different eras. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I sort of disagree. A lot of weight is put on winning championships, so some players don't really get the consideration they deserve. If a 70-80 year old man is getting a yellow jacket and a bust made, the question is, "why did that take so long?" That, to me, says it's a little too exclusive. Either you had a positive impact on the game and played at a high level, or you didn't. The selection committee can't help but vote in all the latest players that they labeled "Future Hall of Famer" in every article they wrote during that player's playing time. The fact that you have players like Eric Allen that are long forgotten is no surprise since they've already established that Mahomes, Kelce and his other brother Kelce, JP, Jefferson, TJ Watt, McCaffrey, Trent Williams, Zach Martin, Myles Garrett, Aaron Donald, Parsons, Fred Warner, etc... are all "future Hall of Famers."

Also, one of the less obvious guys that will probably never get in that I think is deserving is Brian Mitchell. I would put Mitchell in before Watters any day of the week. I see people down-playing the "for who? for what?" --- I mean it doesn't get anymore clear than that admission right there. You make those plays for you, your team, the fans ... and also the HOF selection committee. 

32 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Perhaps there needs to be a separation of groups. The eras of football have changed. Running backs used to dominate the game in the past, but now it’s quarterbacks and receivers. Statistically quarterbacks in the past do not really add up to some average guys of today, but so much has changed in the game due to rules and style of play. Overall I’m just trying to state it’s hard to be exclusive when you’re comparing players to other players especially ones from different eras. 

I just think it should be the true elite. Not championships based, but absolutely dominant at your position. 

It has to be special and more exclusive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I just think it should be the true elite. Not championships based, but absolutely dominant at your position. 

There are around 300+ new rookies trying to make it into the NFL each year.  Each year, the NFL adds about 7 or 8 people (not all are players) to the HOF. That's pretty exclusive.

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

Overall I think it’s fairly difficult to figure that out. Many stats from past players are skewed and some weren’t even documented for decades until recently. A lot of who was good was based on stories and popularity. Today things are based on analytics. According to PFF Brandon Graham should be considered a HOF players, because he consistently grades very high for them on a yearly basis despite not putting up the normal consistent HOF stat numbers so what do you grade based on? On top of this the HOF is chosen by the writers and that itself creates a flawed system. I don’t think football is easy to claim who is elite and who isn’t. A lot of it is based on perspectives. That’s why safeties for years weren’t getting enough HOF credit. 

On 11/15/2023 at 6:03 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Reveal hidden contents

QB:  Cunningham should be the one amongst the QBs that gets first consideration.   More for how he opened doors for others than what he did himself.  But, I don't think that he belongs in.  Same for the others.  Close, but no cigar.  

RB: all of those guys would belong in the Hall of Very Good.

WR: No.

DL: I think not.   But, he played with Ray Lewis... and the media loves Ray... so he has a good shot of getting in.

LB: The lack of Seth Joyner on ths list is disgusting.   And NO to Spikes.  BIG no.  

DB: Allen should have been in years ago.   An affront that he hasn't made it yet.  Vincent - no.

Specialists:   Almost impossible for them to get in.   Mitchell would be the one of that group that I think really SHOULD get in.  Mitchell, Metcalf, and Hester should be in.  True 'game changers' like that should be recognized, and they were truly special at what they did.  The kickers/punters... they were extremely consistent, but were they 'game changers'?  I don't think so.

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

Yes.  They've let far too many that are really more deserving of the Hall of Very Good.   It should be more exclusive than it is.  But, the weird part is the way that they seem to discriminate against some that are more deserving than the ones that got in, and most of the time it seems to be related to team success and team popularity more than individual dominance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Disgraceful that ErIc Allen and Seth Joyner do not get any consideration.

Allen is still in the mix.    Joyner had gotten consideration, but once you reach a certain level, you need to keep meeting specific criteria to stay in the conversation.

7 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Allen is still in the mix.    Joyner had gotten consideration, but once you reach a certain level, you need to keep meeting specific criteria to stay in the conversation.

I guess I should have said that it's a disgrace that they aren't in the Hall. Joyner's stats match up just as well, if not a little better than Urlacher and he went in I believe first ballot. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 6:03 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Reveal hidden contents

Several decent guys here that could very well get into the hof. It has turned into even average careers get in so I could see a few getting in eventually.