Lucky or not?

RunItBAck

I do still worry that come the play offs we will make a mistake that will cost us. Don’t get me wrong all these close wins are great for giving this team belief. But we are so close to the edge that one mistake, one turnover or one failed drive on either side and that’s that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I do still worry that come the play offs we will make a mistake that will cost us. Don’t get me wrong all these close wins are great for giving this team belief. But we are so close to the edge that one mistake, one turnover or one failed drive on either side and that’s that.

The sloppiness, mistakes, and the bad OC play calling keep getting ignored cause of the wins.  Team needs a wakeup call that this crap isn't gonna fly in the playoffs. 

• Like 3

It would be foolish to think there hasn't been ANY luck involved. We've been very fortunate in several games with outcomes of some situations that we didn't have control over. Week 1, on a 4th down play, the Pats receiver fails to drag his 2nd foot when NE had momentum going for them. The 2nd Washington game, the defense got shredded all game, and a few crucial drops late in that game with wide open receivers helped keep the Commies off the scoreboard late in that one. The first Commies game, Riverboat Ron bishes out and doesn't go for 2 when our defense was gashed in that one. The MVS drop that would have put KC ahead with under 2 to play. Granted that didn't guarantee a loss given the time left, but I'm sure glad we didn't have to try and get in FG range with a desperation drive on the road there. A miscommunication between Josh Allen and Gabe Davis could have ended that game without us seeing the ball.

So yes, some luck has gone our way. That said, the fact that we've won how we have shows the team has no quit, and if the opportunity is there to make something happen late in a close game, the moment is clearly not too big for Hurts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

39 minutes ago, Swimm said:

The sloppiness, mistakes, and the bad OC play calling keep getting ignored cause of the wins.  Team needs a wakeup call that this crap isn't gonna fly in the playoffs. 

Yes, they absolutely need to clean things up as we've all noted the issues.

One thing to note though, is they have played playoff atmosphere games this season. Prime time under the lights, national game of the week, "the gauntlet," the SB rematch.

This rematch with the 40whiners then a Sunday night game in Dallas will also be huge.

Maybe their style of play catches up to them soon, or in the playoffs. But they certainly have been battle tested already. 

• Like 3

The narrative for the most part, especially from the Whiners, is the Whiners are going to win. There's a fair amount of disrespect being shown to the 10-1 Eagles. For a regular season game, as a fan, I really want this one.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Swimm said:

I do agree with that. We know this team is really good but if they aren’t careful they are going to slip up.

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

This rematch with the 40whiners then a Sunday night game in Dallas will also be huge.

I agree. We’ve seen we can handle the better teams in the AFC. Our challenge lies in the NFC. Getting past Dallas and the Whiners is going to be tough in the play offs. 

Luck can't be measured.

To me, it's funny all those teams we played had these great stats and still lost. Maybe, they were "lucky" to put up those numbers in a loss. How many of our turnovers were caused because of something like a tipped pass or a collision with a teammate? I mean, IMO, quite a few were lucky breaks for opponents. I felt in 2017 we were the beneficiary of a lot of fortuitous events all year, especially when it came to key players being out for opponents, not to mention the culmination of good games by a whole bunch of average players that didn't really stick around or stand out after the season. Are the Eagles lucky that Maddox was hurt along with the primary backup (McPhearson) and that we had to perfom season auditions all year at slot with the eventual winner missing several weeks with an injury himself? Were we lucky to have the injuries we have had at LB and S as well? Those are the key contributors to most of the stats discussed in the article. 

• Like 2

Nope, not having them as a lucky side. You can´t fluke three games in a row against potentially championship-calibre teams. Football doesn´t work like that. Would I want to see them keep stretching that run of close games? No, because no team is unbeatable, and in enough games against quality opponents, sooner or later you will drop one. But to say they are lucky discounts all of the things they do as a team and puts the reason for the result on the opponents. That´s disrespectful to the Eagles, and condescending to the opposition. I will accept we have had some moments that could be seen as lucky, but the same could be said for every opponent we have played (and beaten). Luck can change games, but you have to be in a position to take advantage of lucky breaks. Luck doesn´t win games.

• Like 1

Lucky as hell in my opinion.  But that doesn't mean that the late game heroics can be ignored.  This team is Mr. Hyde and Dr. Jekyll. 

All that being said, I don't think they'll be able to make up a big deficit in the 2nd half against the Niner's Defense.  If they don't come to play, protect the football and open the playbook in the first half this will be ugly. 

• Thanks 1

I was gonna start a thread titled "Is this the Week the Wheels Fall Off?"  But, this thread is close enough...

This has been one crazy season to date.  There has been such a huge mix of good and bad for this team...and they've won through it all.  I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like it in the NFL, and definitely haven't seen anything like it on a previous Eagles team (where it's been this blatant).

This team has played very well at times...and at crucial times (clutch!).  They've also played very bad at times...so bad that it literally makes me question HOW they are 10-1.  

As others stated, this team is living on the edge.  They keep making the same mistakes and show the same flaws as they have all season...in every single game.  They haven't cleaned up the turnovers, they haven't cleaned up the mind-boggling play-calling for long stretches of game time.  The defense gets shredded time after time...and are now showing some weakness in stopping the run.  They're losing the turnover battle.  They've been out-gained...significantly.  Losing TOP.  Benefitting from dropped passes and penalties.  The OL and DL are very inconsistent...they'll look good, then look bad.  They've definitely lost some of the "trench warfare" this year.

They seem to go into every game without a plan and instead just react to what the other team is doing (as if that's their actual plan...wait and see what the other team is doing, then counteract it).  

Last year, it was common to see the offense close out games by maintaining possession and taking time off the clock in the 4th Q.  This year, I don't think they've done that once.  Every time they get a chance to do it, they go 3 and out with some whimpy play calls.  

Yes, most of the above is negative...but true.  What's also true is they have played really good too.  We've seen Jalen drop some dimes and take over games at times.  We've seen Brown and Smith dominate.  We've seen Swift dominate.  The defense makes timely sacks late in games.  

But, all that said, the way in which they've been winning is just not sustainable.  It feels like it's just a matter of time before the wheels come off and the dam breaks...starting a series of losses where we all realize that all of the flaws they've been showing come home to roost.  

What is in their control, they have to clean up...immediately.  Stop turning the ball over and start coming up with real game plans/play calling in the first half.  Most of the onus is gonna fall on the offense if we want to stay highly competitive for the Super Bowl.  The defense is what it is...I don't think there's much that can be done because of talent/injuries in the back 7.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

They seem to go into every game without a plan and instead just react to what the other team is doing (as if that's their actual plan...wait and see what the other team is doing, then counteract it).  

This statement hit's home.  It just feels like they don't want to show their hand until they absolutely have to (which seems to happen in every game).  Earlier in the season I was hoping that they were playing things close to the chest in order to save their best plays for this difficult stretch of games.  Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. 

If we come out running that vanilla offense again in the 1st half you can kiss this game goodbye.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A team isn't 10-1 because of luck.  You don't beat the Dolphins, Chiefs, Cowboys and Bills because of luck.  

There are a few plays here and there for every team where the ball bounces a certain way, another team has key drops, that kind of thing.  The refs you can't blame because they make calls against the Eagles and there are non-calls they should've called for the Eagles as well.

Eagles fans hype up other teams when they win like this and say they wish they were more like them.

Eagles fans need to embrace a couple facts:  the Eagles are flawed and have a lot to improve especially self-inflicted wounds and mistakes.  And yet they are the best team in the NFL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What drives me nuts is the constant theme of the team being "bailed out" by the refs every week, especially after the Bills game.  

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

A team isn't 10-1 because of luck.  You don't beat the Dolphins, Chiefs, Cowboys and Bills because of luck.  

There are a few plays here and there for every team where the ball bounces a certain way, another team has key drops, that kind of thing.  The refs you can't blame because they make calls against the Eagles and there are non-calls they should've called for the Eagles as well.

Eagles fans hype up other teams when they win like this and say they wish they were more like them.

Eagles fans need to embrace a couple facts:  the Eagles are flawed and have a lot to improve especially self-inflicted wounds and mistakes.  And yet they are the best team in the NFL.

so you're okay with nearly losing to WSH 2x, giving up almost 400 yards to the pats / 300 yards to mac jones! (including the second most points they've score this year), losing to the jets, and if not for 1 missed pass play in each game, we lose to the bills / chiefs.

Eventually, those missed pass plays will be converted, the pass defense will not be able to get the job done when it needs to, Hurts will have bad games like he did against the Jets. 

All of the above will be occurring 10-fold against better teams, especially in the playoffs. To say there is no concern is being a HOMER, the defense has been clutch but overall they've been mediocre to put it lightly. This team loses by 30 to last years team. 

It's not really a matter of the mistakes listed above, it's those mistakes re-occurring and not being fixed / the team not improving past it. but to each their own, dream on big guy

• Like 2

As it happens, I AM OK with that. Of course there are concerns, but they win. What better teams will the bad things happen against? We've beaten all of the good teams we have faced - Miami, Dallas, Kansas City, Buffalo - you just don't win those games because of luck. It doesn't happen. I've said elsewhere, they need to improve - but the opposition needs to do more to bear us.  I don't care how many yards or first downs we give up if we are winning. I'll worry when I need to worry, but for now, I am enjoying the Eagles being the best team in the league while giving us ridiculous excitement and endless things to talk about. Imagine ever being a fan of the Washington team, or the Cadinals, never being relevant except in the role of spoiler. I'll take being an Eagles fan for 30 years and enjoying this purple patch right here - and I will thank anyone I have to thank for that being the case.

2 hours ago, RunItBAck said:

so you're okay with nearly losing to WSH 2x, giving up almost 400 yards to the pats / 300 yards to mac jones! (including the second most points they've score this year), losing to the jets, and if not for 1 missed pass play in each game, we lose to the bills / chiefs.

Eventually, those missed pass plays will be converted, the pass defense will not be able to get the job done when it needs to, Hurts will have bad games like he did against the Jets. 

All of the above will be occurring 10-fold against better teams, especially in the playoffs. To say there is no concern is being a HOMER, the defense has been clutch but overall they've been mediocre to put it lightly. This team loses by 30 to last years team. 

It's not really a matter of the mistakes listed above, it's those mistakes re-occurring and not being fixed / the team not improving past it. but to each their own, dream on big guy

I'm not "ok" with any mistakes.  I did not say "there is no concern" you are putting words in my mouth or venting in general for some reason.  I already said in the post they have a lot to improve especially self-inflicted wounds and mistakes.  I'm not ok with poor performance, penalties, bad play calling, slow starts, easy 3rd downs for the opposing offense, etc. 

I am ok with winning.  There's a glass half full/half empty approach to this.  You say "nearly losing" but they won.  They won the games.  Why focus on they almost lost?  Any team that wins close games you could say they nearly lost.  The Chiefs nearly lost the SB to us.  

I said they're not winning because of luck, which is what this topic is about.

Then I said we're going to have to accept that the team has flaws and yet are still winning.  (The other top teams have flaws, too.)  We've been saying all year they need to clean things up.  The coaches have said it, the players have said it.  We can expend energy complaining about the issues every week, but the fact is they are 10-1.  People have been saying for months that it will come back to bite them, their luck will run out, etc.  We've already said for weeks that once they face tougher teams they won't be able to win like this...so far they are undefeated against "the gauntlet."  They beat the Dolphins, Cowboys, Chiefs and Bills.  The 40whiners may be the toughest challenge they face, partly because of the matchup but partly because they want revenge after last year.  So we'll see how it goes. 

It may catch up to them.  They may lose another game due to their own mistakes, penalties and decisions.  It's very difficult for any NFL team to go through the regular season and only lose 1 game.  The Chiefs lost to the Broncos and "nearly lost" to them in a 13-8 game earlier in the year.  Yet people still consider them a great team.  I'm thankful they are 10-1.  I'm thankful they don't give up and find a way to win.  I'm hopeful they will play their best football heading into the playoffs and clean up those mistakes.  

• Like 3

We have ten wins, and we've played at least 4 teams that would've been comfortably top 10 of pre season betting and have beaten them all, and they've got another 2 games against them this next 2 weeks.

Luck is overblown, the Valdes Scantling drop was a full length dive at an overthrown ball, Allen's last ball on Sunday was Davis running out when he was meant to run in, that's not luck that's bad execution at clutch moments, the Eagles have done what they had to do when they had to do it. When it mattered, they got it done and their opponents didn't.

Even if they do lose Sunday, that won't make them frauds, this part of the schedule is as brutal as any team faces this year, and it's worth noting  10-1 two years in a row is a rare achievement in and of itself.

I think some players have had this one marked for a while after the moaning about the NFC Championship, I expect to see better on Sunday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Oh course we’ve had luck so far this season. It’d be naive to think otherwise. But this is American football last I checked and not one if the gymnastics events at the Olympics. What I mean is there’s no style points here. A win whether you win by one point or 21 points is the same in the standings. 

On 11/29/2023 at 4:06 PM, RunItBAck said:

Both.

We are a good football team who has had the benefit of some lucky plays on both offense and defense.

We are a battle tested football team and we can win any game we are in. If it's close you can't count this team out.

That's not all luck but luck has been a factor at some big moments.

• Haha 1

For every "lucky" play the eagles have benefitted from, there has been an "unlucky" play going against them.......it's just convenient to remember the "lucky" plays.

The fact is that the NFL is all about constant performance......but professional players make mistakes....dropped balls, penalties, missed blocks, turnovers.......the list goes on and on....

The eagles have dropped some easy passes, Hurts has turned the ball over much more this year, the eagles haven't caused turnovers this year as much.  Also, they have different OC and DC  from last year, a completely different LB corps and different safeties......but still 10-1.

Also, very good teams perform when the pressure is on.  And like it or not, the eagles have done that in many of their games......scoring when they absolutely have to, getting a sack or TO at critical times, and stopped the opponent on  a late drive.   Nothing "lucky" about that.......very good teams can play under pressure.  And it's something that is absolutely essential for a super bowl run.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

For every "lucky" play the eagles have benefitted from, there has been an "unlucky" play going against them.......it's just convenient to remember the "lucky" plays.

The fact is that the NFL is all about constant performance......but professional players make mistakes....dropped balls, penalties, missed blocks, turnovers.......the list is goes on.

The eagles have dropped some easy passes, Hurts has turned the ball over much more this year, the eagles haven't caused turnovers this year as much.  Also, they have different OC and DC  from last year, a completely different LB corps and different safeties......but still 10-1.

Also, very good teams perform when the pressure is on.  And like it or not, the eagles have done that in many of their games......scoring when they absolutely have to, getting a sack or TO at critical times, and stopped the opponent on  a late drive.   Nothing "lucky" about that.......very good teams can play under pressure.  And it's something that is absolutely essential for a super bowl run.

So true. We conveniently forget some of the very unlucky breaks that have befallen the Eagles through this streak from guys running into one another and causing a fumble. Heck I’m this last game the Eagles lost the turnover battle. A quarterback doesn’t simply luck into 5tds. A kicker doesn’t kick a nearly 60 yard fg based on luck. The Eagles are the only team to score 37 points on the Bills this year. The next closest was NE with 29. Is that luck? I don’t think so. What I do know is it’s easy to doubt a Jalen Hurts led team especially from afar. After all he "did get benched for Tua didn’t he?” The talking heads have convinced themselves that this is all luck while once again Dallas is struggling to beat another team with a winning record right now. 

• Haha 1