Rex Ryan Today on the Eagle D

weko

8 hours ago, weko said:

On Get Up Rex Ryan said,,," This defense has been a disaster. it is one of the worst 3rd down defenses.  They can't get off the field, they don't tackle well. They have 5 new starters but the biggest disappointment is the guy they have coordinating that defense cause right now I can tall you exactly what they're in.  They do nothing to challenge the offense.  And that's their problem. "

Rex couldn't be more right.  Desai is a disaster.  He doesn't blitz, show blitz to lower the QB's eyes and back off, doesn't get pressure on the QB, doesn't press and knock the receiver off his route.  He doesn't play much man and has the back 7 way off the line.  They let receivers catch the ball all game.  Dump passes to RBs consistently get 8-9 yards.  We don't stop the run well as we all too far away from running lanes.  We don't challenge.  We are a weak passive group that is the worst D in the league the past 6 games.  It is a high school scheme and Nick does nothing to fix it. 

We have major problems with both coordinators.  We use less motion on offense than any other team.  Our core offense is comprised of QB draws, hand offs to flat footed RBs in the shotgun,  throwing deep balls like guys playing touch football do.  Just a disaster and also I would call it a high school offense. 

Maybe we win 1 playoff game on the road but that is it.  We will get crushed in round 2 at SF or Dallas.  Lots of old guys need to retire or move on.  We need a complete rebuild of the defense starting with a new DC and hopefully someone will be dumb enough to hire BJ as their head coach.

It’s like Desai is running a prevent defense all game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both of the new coordinators have been bad and a major downgrade but Desai is clearly worse. At least Brian Johnson has his moments. Other than the Miami game Desai's defense has been a nightmare. I realize they are limited by their LB play but their DL is every bit as good as last season talent wise and for whatever reasons hasn't had near the impact and I refuse to believe that Slay and Bradberry went from being great to average at best in just one year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Swimm said:

Instead they draft Nolan Smith. A luxury project pick in the 1st round who hasn't done crap this year.  We could have gotten  an actual  LB, CB , safety, DE...To fill one of the glaring holes going into the season.

Howie dropped the ball on this team.

Not arguing, but I remember this same statement about Jalen Hurts.  Maybe the Smith project will work out, too. 

24 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Not arguing, but I remember this same statement about Jalen Hurts.  Maybe the Smith project will work out, too. 

He may still work out,.. Doesn't mean its kind of a bad pick when you have other immediate needs. 

31 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Both of the new coordinators have been bad and a major downgrade but Desai is clearly worse. At least Brian Johnson has his moments. Other than the Miami game Desai's defense has been a nightmare. I realize they are limited by their LB play but their DL is every bit as good as last season talent wise and for whatever reasons hasn't had near the impact and I refuse to believe that Slay and Bradberry went from being great to average at best in just one year.

1.Slay and Bradberry were already on decline  on the  back half of  last year. 

2. The team was jumping out to massive leads early on so the eagles could force teams into pass heavy situations and just rush the QB.

3. Team had Javon Hardgrave

4.  Cox and Graham were on the decline last year.  They aren't getting younger. 

So outside of DC there are some huge differences. 

• Like 1

I know a lot of people are starting to doubt Sirianni, however, I like the guy and think he's a good coach. We've lost a lot of talent on the coaching staff. We lost both coordinators after last season, and say what you will, but we subtracted instead of adding this past offseason. Look at the Niners, and you could see they added talent. We lost talent and didn't replace with equal or better. Roseman will take a few seasons to build it back up and will try to buy another Super Bowl, just like he did for 52, and just like he tried to do last season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

It’s like Desai is running a prevent defense all game. 

Yes his defense is the result of living in fear.  Instead of challenging and showing different looks, blitzs, fake blitzs. press coverage instead of being dynamic he is afraid and has the team fall back into a soft zone hoping the other team will make a mistake.  But it way too easy to move the ball when the entire back 7 is 8-10 yards off the line.  Desai is a dismal failure

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

I know a lot of people are starting to doubt Sirianni, however, I like the guy and think he's a good coach. We've lost a lot of talent on the coaching staff. We lost both coordinators after last season, and say what you will, but we subtracted instead of adding this past offseason. Look at the Niners, and you could see they added talent. We lost talent and didn't replace with equal or better. Roseman will take a few seasons to build it back up and will try to buy another Super Bowl, just like he did for 52, and just like he tried to do last season. 

The Niners lost McDaniel, Saleh and Ryans in recent years and haven’t missed a beat. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Heavywchamp said:

Siri is just a glorified cheerleader that shows the team film and footage of other sports and motivational speakers. That crap no longer works. 

Dude looks to be the most sleep deprived coach in the nfl and now with no results. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Graham was seen as a bust too and he was a starter, I think. Nolan has the potential. Hopefully he lives up to it.

• Thanks 1

It's crazy how many of the Eagles coaches have fielded teams that all have had defensive issues tackling. Alllll of them had teams who were poor to mediocre tacklers on the whole at some point/ years. They were able to win a lot of games. But, they also didn't win THE GAME. To me, they aren't hitting enough. They don't know what to the ground tackling means. Too many arm and big hit tackle attempts. Very little flight to the ball group tackling or wrapping up. 

On 12/11/2023 at 9:14 AM, weko said:

On Get Up Rex Ryan said,,," This defense has been a disaster. it is one of the worst 3rd down defenses.  They can't get off the field, they don't tackle well. They have 5 new starters but the biggest disappointment is the guy they have coordinating that defense cause right now I can tall you exactly what they're in.  They do nothing to challenge the offense.  And that's their problem. "

Rex couldn't be more right.  Desai is a disaster.  He doesn't blitz, show blitz to lower the QB's eyes and back off, doesn't get pressure on the QB, doesn't press and knock the receiver off his route.  He doesn't play much man and has the back 7 way off the line.  They let receivers catch the ball all game.  Dump passes to RBs consistently get 8-9 yards.  We don't stop the run well as we all too far away from running lanes.  We don't challenge.  We are a weak passive group that is the worst D in the league the past 6 games.  It is a high school scheme and Nick does nothing to fix it. 

We have major problems with both coordinators.  We use less motion on offense than any other team.  Our core offense is comprised of QB draws, hand offs to flat footed RBs in the shotgun,  throwing deep balls like guys playing touch football do.  Just a disaster and also I would call it a high school offense. 

Maybe we win 1 playoff game on the road but that is it.  We will get crushed in round 2 at SF or Dallas.  Lots of old guys need to retire or move on.  We need a complete rebuild of the defense starting with a new DC and hopefully someone will be dumb enough to hire BJ as their head coach.

so in other words we have the equivalent of Chip Kelly as OC AND DC...scary

On 12/12/2023 at 1:14 AM, weko said:

A lot of this is personnel. When you have guys constantly in and out at LB'er and slot CB, plus a brand new safety it is easier for them to play zone and protect the back end. Cunningham was a late addition in the pre-season, Byard was part way through the season, Roby and the dreck that replaced Maddox were in season additions or inexperienced. They also look physically tired and the front 4 has not gotten the pressure they did last year. When the front four have been disruptive it has helped mask a lot of these issues, but you can't leave these guys on an island for as long as they do and expect them to hold up. It also felt like they were also blitzing a fair bit more earlier in the season, especially from the LB'er spot. 

On 12/11/2023 at 11:34 PM, T-1000 said:

Desai isn't worse than Gannon, if Gannon faced the opponent's we have the last 3 weeks with the Linebackers and position coaches we had available this year we'd be choking down 3 straight 50 burgers right now.  Desai is doing the best job he can with a barely NFL standard back end.

The problems with the defense is the complete failure of the front office to recognise Linebacker as an important position on an NFL defense and Sirianni's decision to shitcan Dennard Wilson as DB coach.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Desai isn't worse than Gannon, if Gannon faced the opponent's we have the last 3 weeks with the Linebackers and position coaches we had available this year we'd be choking down 3 straight 50 burgers right now.  Desai is doing the best job he can with a barely NFL standard back end.

The problems with the defense is the complete failure of the front office to recognise Linebacker as an important position on an NFL defense and Sirianni's decision to shitcan Dennard Wilson as DB coach.

I disagree. Gannon got pressure on the QB and set all kinds of sack records. Desai barely gets any pressure on the QB and we essentially have the same players on the DLine. Slay and Bradberry look like crap. I can’t imagine their games could decline that much in a year. I’m putting most of the blame on Desai and the scheme. A little bit on Howie because I really thought he should’ve brought Edwards back but I don’t think this mess is because of the LB’s. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 4:12 PM, EagleVA said:

Maybe this scheme is from the analytics department.

They have been rushing mostly just 4 since Schwartz. 

35 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I disagree. Gannon got pressure on the QB and set all kinds of sack records. Desai barely gets any pressure on the QB and we essentially have the same players on the DLine. Slay and Bradberry look like crap. I can’t imagine their games could decline that much in a year. I’m putting most of the blame on Desai and the scheme. A little bit on Howie because I really thought he should’ve brought Edwards back but I don’t think this mess is because of the LB’s. 

The almost Mike defense.

IMG_3275.jpeg

On 12/11/2023 at 6:34 PM, T-1000 said:

Slay has been average at best, but Bradbury has been awful. If I’m being honest I wanted CJGJ back and I was okay with losing either Bradbury or Slay. This team has been horrible at making turnovers while every game giving up at least 2 it feels like.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:17 PM, Geemen said:

Instead of blindly picking players based on having played at university of Georgia, maybe the eagles should have drafted based on talent

There is absolutely no way in Hell the talent is this bad.  Big holes at both LB's and nickel, everywhere is solid to good.  Desai is awful, college defenses disguise better than the Eagles.  Brian Johnson's playbook is like a run n shoot leaflet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Gannon was mediocre, Desai is the worst DC in Philly since the Oline coach.

What exactly does bum ass Matt Patricia do with the team? Didn't they bring him in to help the D in some capacity? 

3 hours ago, Mat said:

What exactly does bum ass Matt Patricia do with the team? Didn't they bring him in to help the D in some capacity? 

He’s kept around in case someone needs a pencil at a moments notice. 

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2023 at 2:06 PM, Talonblood said:

Siri has NOT had this team ready to play for nearly every game this year. The Eagles have been really lucky, and that's why their record is what it is. They better change things before the playoffs, or they will be one and done.

It's hard to be a head coach when Captain America under you, gets replaced with Sergeant Shultz.

""""BJ how do you approach a game design? I do nothing for 2 quarters and watch what the other team does. So that I can make adjustments in the second half."""

Johnson has got to go, or be demoted while we bring in someone also to consult and eventually take over. 

Desai also has problems...but With offense inability to sustain drives, and injuries in the secondary..I don't thin Desai is the main culprit at this point.

• Like 1