Kevin Byard persuaded DC Sean Desai to let the secondary handle their own scouting report

Swimm

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

Pfft…what does this guy know.

Who are you going to trust - some Twitter account or an article in The Athletic?

12 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Schwartz played the sticks defense on 3rd and medium/long and some fans used to hate it, but it worked in making sure teams didn’t convert. 

There is a difference between that and basically giving the other team an easy conversion. Some of it is definitely on the players/poor tackling, but this D should not be as bad as it is, particularly on 3rd down and a lot of that is on Desai.

This is kind of not true. It really didn't work as well as you're remembering. I'm not really defending Desai's 3rd down defense though, I'm just trying to make sure people remember these kind of things to stay more objective.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

Yeah, I had figured it was a DB coach thing. I think that guy might be toast after season.

17 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Not sure why. What has Fangio ever won? 

Now this is honestly the million dollar question. I thought there were defenses that would be much more interesting to copy. I was always confused how no one copied the Legion of Boom cover 3 style defense but some people said it probably wouldn't work anymore? I dunno. I have no idea why the league went so heavy into said defensive style.

17 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Not sure why. What has Fangio ever won? 

Nada

10 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Now this is honestly the million dollar question. I thought there were defenses that would be much more interesting to copy. I was always confused how no one copied the Legion of Boom cover 3 style defense but some people said it probably wouldn't work anymore? I dunno. I have no idea why the league went so heavy into said defensive style.

Mostly it´s because players like Kam Chancellor don´t grow on trees. He held that thing together, and was a very special player who doesn´t get the respect he deserves in my view

We changed secondary coach and the secondary coverage and tackling goes to crap, so we sack the defensive coordinator and the man who built his entire coaching career on Bill Bellichick's defensive scheme is going to sort it out?

Howie has decided he can change coaching staff whenever he wants and be successful.

Whatever the secondary does, I hope it helps them cover for 4+ seconds every play, because the front 4 gets zero pressure most of the time, and the Eagles don't blitz effectively for some reason.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

confused how no one copied the Legion of Boom cover 3 style defense

Probably because it's really, really hard to find 3 guys as talented as Chancellor, Thomas, and Sherman were. 

14 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

This is kind of not true. It really didn't work as well as you're remembering. I'm not really defending Desai's 3rd down defense though, I'm just trying to make sure people remember these kind of things to stay more objective.

You are correct, people used to **** and moan about Schwartz sticks defense all the time. They gave up some horrible 3rd and long plays by letting them catch underneath routes/screens and not being able to tackle. 

20 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Probably because it's really, really hard to find 3 guys as talented as Chancellor, Thomas, and Sherman were. 

Don't forget Byron Maxwell!

6vHDYEfycXAC5r4BytTgvayL4jNiGgK70FrmRKe_yos.thumb.webp.c20da7a6b163a87e2365292919330a12.webp

• Haha 2