A lot of positives to take from that

ManchesterEagle

I know it will be minor Tatergeddon because we almost blew it against the Giants but quite a few positives.

1) Run game looked better. O-Line. Were paving way. Dickerson back will help as well. 
2) Hurts was mostly good. The big 3 all produced.

3) 70 yard TD apart the D looks much better under Patricia. I know it’s the Giants but I have just more confidence of them getting off the field. Should get Slay and the LBs back soon which should help.

4) Ringo looks a player. Didn’t think he would be ready for another year or two.

Still worried about Brian Johnson though. If he throws one more screen to 62 year old Julio Jones. Get Covey involved if you insist on that play.

• Like 8

A brand new dimension in the offense we saw today were the passes to the RBs, especially Gainwell. I think they should continue to build on that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I know it will be minor Tatergeddon because we almost blew it against the Giants but quite a few positives.

1) Run game looked better. O-Line. Were paving way. Dickerson back will help as well. 

3) 70 yard TD apart the D looks much better under Patricia. I know it’s the Giants but I have just more confidence of them getting off the field. Should get Slay and the LBs back soon which should help.

4) Ringo looks a player. Didn’t think he would be ready for another year or two.

Still worried about Brian Johnson though. If he throws one more screen to 62 year old Julio Jones. Get Covey involved if you insist on that play.

I  liked the wrinkle we added getting Covey the ball on offense. I also liked that we targeted 8 different players during the game. I agree about Ringo. He's been able to make positive plays in his two starts and is probably pretty confident which will be very helpful. 

• Like 1

What the Ravens are doing to the 49ers is just beautiful....

Darn, I really miss having a great defense...

• Like 2

Lol anyone looks like a player compared to how horrible Bradbury has been. Every completion on that final drive was against Bradbury. Dude is toast. I agree about Covey. He’s earned an opportunity to get some touches. None of the three other slot options are doing much of anything so might as well give him a chance. I know he’s not scared of contact like that soft bum Quez Watkins is. 

• Like 1

Not to rain on this positives train, but the Giants are the 29th ranked defense against the run so far this year…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PhillyDan1969 said:

Not to rain on this positives train, but the Giants are the 29th ranked defense against the run so far this year…

VA5M2zI.gif

21 minutes ago, PhillyDan1969 said:

And guess what? We get to play them again in two weeks! How brilliant is that?

• Like 1

Goedert literally fell while the ball was in the air and Hurts sucks? OZ was pushed into Scott and caused a fumble. 2 freak plays changed the game. That Seattle loss with SF losing hurts even more. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Goedert literally fell while the ball was in the air and Hurts sucks? ZO was pushed into Scott and caused a fumble. 2 freak plays changed the game. That Seattle loss with SF losing hurts even more. 

I know it’s not likely, but you never know. Maybe Washington comes out and gives Sanfran a game. I know the Rams are still hanging around too with their playoff hopes still alive. They could give the 49ers a run for their money as well. The Seahawks game would have been ideal. Unfortunately they let that one get away from them. 

• Like 2

Swift was a positive.  He's vastly underutilized.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PhillyDan1969 said:

Yes but usually we ignore those things...this time we actually used it to our advantage. Weird what some stats will show you... maybe our coaches 

learned a little something

Eagles definitely have a schematic problem. Sirianni says the criticism should be his and it's true, after further evaluation. I think the problem is, Steichen's offense is mostly ineffective at the NFL level without understanding all the little nuances of it. You have to go pretty deep down the rabbit hole, and I just don't think Nick understands it at that level.

This wouldn't be a problem if he was an older, more experienced coach who had been through more different offenses - but his age works against him here. What he really needs right now is to bring in someone who's a bit older and more experienced who can help him update the scheme to include more things modern offenses need to be successful. A Norv Turner, Mike Shula type, someone like that.

I think Hurts has been babied a bit at the NFL level and it's hurt his development a bit. There's absolutely nothing that should stop him from being effective under center, I just think they want him to have better range of motion with his legs. But sometimes I think that's not necessary to cater to, and they should let him focus on timing routes from time to time since that was his best ability last year.

It's kind of like a changeup in baseball. You need a back pocket card to help make your overall arsenal more effective. Sirianni doesn't have a back pocket card, and that's why the offense is having issues I think.

The one being babied is bryan johnson......and Sirianni should shoulder the blame for no replacing him.

The problem is the playcalling......stupid calls in the red zone, bad situational calls, constantly putting the offense in bad situations, not using all the talent at his disposal, not recognizing and taking advantage of mismatches......johnson is in way over his head and hasn't improved.

For every positive in this game, there are a least 5-6 negative things.....

To me, the offensive schemes and play calling are the biggest issues this team has.......and I can't believe it's not brutally obvious to everybody.  

13 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I had the same thought about covey last night.  Screen plays work...but not if they are obvious and telegraphed like ours have been.  Wouldn't mind seeing some two back sets and/or getting Covey and Penny involved to mix things up. Anything to keep these defenses guessing and leverage the strength of our offensive line. 

14 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

You left out the Shaq attack. We now have a legitimate starting LB besides Cunningham. 

3 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Eagles definitely have a schematic problem. Sirianni says the criticism should be his and it's true, after further evaluation. I think the problem is, Steichen's offense is mostly ineffective at the NFL level without understanding all the little nuances of it. You have to go pretty deep down the rabbit hole, and I just don't think Nick understands it at that level.

This wouldn't be a problem if he was an older, more experienced coach who had been through more different offenses - but his age works against him here. What he really needs right now is to bring in someone who's a bit older and more experienced who can help him update the scheme to include more things modern offenses need to be successful. A Norv Turner, Mike Shula type, someone like that.

I think Hurts has been babied a bit at the NFL level and it's hurt his development a bit. There's absolutely nothing that should stop him from being effective under center, I just think they want him to have better range of motion with his legs. But sometimes I think that's not necessary to cater to, and they should let him focus on timing routes from time to time since that was his best ability last year.

It's kind of like a changeup in baseball. You need a back pocket card to help make your overall arsenal more effective. Sirianni doesn't have a back pocket card, and that's why the offense is having issues I think.

Maybe they’re saving them - for the playoffs, like Belicheck used to do in his hey dey. 

12 hours ago, opa-opa said:

What the Ravens are doing to the 49ers is just beautiful....

Darn, I really miss having a great defense...

That's one thing the Ravens almost always seem to manage is a good to great defense..no matter what their team record might be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Norseman said:

I had the same thought about covey last night.  Screen plays work...but not if they are obvious and telegraphed like ours have been.  Wouldn't mind seeing some two back sets and/or getting Covey and Penny involved to mix things up. Anything to keep these defenses guessing and leverage the strength of our offensive line. 

what was the point of even adding Penny to the roster if he is not going to play...this has to be one of the most mystifying decisions/roster moves in recent history...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

what was the point of even adding Penny to the roster if he is not going to play...this has to be one of the most mystifying decisions/roster moves in recent history...

Agreed.  Especially when you factor in the lack of production from Gainwell earlier in the season.  Think of how many games he may have been able to help us close out....even in rotation as part of a committee. 

Penny is in the doghouse for some reason, but nobody seems to know why. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

One positive regarding Brian Johnson from this game -- he didn't call 31 QB Draws.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1