ESPN Playoff Machine

Captain F

This week is NFC East pride week. Got to root for every NFC East team (except the Giants cause we need them to lose) for the sake of helping the Eagles to get back that one seed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This week is NFC East pride week. Got to root for every NFC East team (except the Giants cause we need them to lose) for the sake of helping the Eagles to get back that one seed. 

How does the Giants losing help us?

I’m not sure rooting for the Cowboys is a good idea either. It improves the chance of a higher seed, but the downside is also pretty severe if we get tripped up in one of our last two games.

12 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I’m not sure rooting for the Cowboys is a good idea either. It improves the chance of a higher seed, but the downside is also pretty severe if we get tripped up in one of our last two games.

If the goal is the East then yeah but if the goal is SB W then I think we do want the #2 at minimum.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Lions-Cowboys tie would be best thing for Eagles. Lions and Cowboys would lose tie-breakers with tie.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

If the goal is the East then yeah but if the goal is SB W then I think we do want the #2 at minimum.

If you can absolutely guarantee (which of course no one can) the Eagles win their last two, I'd happily root for the Turds against the Lions. But until I see those game results, I can't do it. I'd rather have to go to Detroit to win a second round playoff game than have to win three road games.

24 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

If you can absolutely guarantee (which of course no one can) the Eagles win their last two, I'd happily root for the Turds against the Lions. But until I see those game results, I can't do it. I'd rather have to go to Detroit to win a second round playoff game than have to win three road games.

My thinking is a bit different and is that we aren't winning a SB if we don't win the next two games and this year the only thing I really care about overall is winning everything.  Feels like the chances of actually lifting the trophy is slim to none but I'll hold out until the end and hope we find some magic over the last two weeks and into the post season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

How does the Giants losing help us?

Keeping that final showdown game between the Rams and 49ers relevant.

• Like 1

Wouldn't the Rams losing to the Giants still keep the finale relevant? They'd be fighting for their lives at that point. We'd rather that than have them already "in" and not worrying too much about their seeding.

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Keeping that final showdown game between the Rams and 49ers relevant.

There's a scenario where the Giants win but the Rams can still make it into the playoffs by beating the 49ers.  Link Here

18 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Wouldn't the Rams losing to the Giants still keep the finale relevant? They'd be fighting for their lives at that point. We'd rather that than have them already "in" and not worrying too much about their seeding.

Yes.

If the Giants beat the Rams and the Vikings beat the Packers this week and then the Lions beat the Vikings next week and the Rams beat the 49ers, they'll be the 7th seed. 

59 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

There's a scenario where the Giants win but the Rams can still make it into the playoffs by beating the 49ers.  Link Here

Yes.

If the Giants beat the Rams and the Vikings beat the Packers this week and then the Lions beat the Vikings next week and the Rams beat the 49ers, they'll be the 7th seed. 

Seems like a lot more than if the Rams just win. Is it a case of being worried if the Giants lose to the Rams then they’re more likely to play harder against us? 

20 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I see the logic in this, but F Dallas

• Haha 1

I call BS on anyone who says to NEVER root for the Cowboys. Hell, I've rooted for those SOB's plenty of times over the years, but only in situations where a Dallas victory was GOOD for the Eagles. I've often rooted for them against the Giants and Redskins when those two teams were more of a threat to the Eagles.

I don't think this game against the Lions qualifies as such.

• Like 1

An Eagles win against the Cardinals combined with a cowgirl loss to Detroit and the Eagles clinch the NFC East!!!  With just that fact alone, I can’t pull for the cowgirls to win. I want the Birds to win the NFC East so that the cowgirls cannot win it!!! 
Keeping the cowgirls as a #5 seed is ideal in my opinion!!! 
A cowgirl/Lion tie game would be amazing, but highly unlikely!!!
Most likely scenario is Detroit losing to the Vikings in week 18 and praying for the Rams to upset the Niners!!! 
No matter what happens, the Birds put themselves  in this position when they blew that game in Seattle!!! 

9 minutes ago, PhillyDan1969 said:

An Eagles win against the Cardinals combined with a cowgirl loss to Detroit and the Eagles clinch the NFC East!!!  With just that fact alone, I can’t pull for the cowgirls to win.

Keep in mind that a Lions win this week and next week gives them (at worst) the #2 seed. Further suppose that the Lions win out and the 49ers lose one or both of their final games. That gives the Lions the 1 Seed.

But if the Lions lose one of their final 2 games, we win out and the 49ers lose one game, then we get the 1 seed. For Dallass, if we win out, they get the 5 seed regardless of whether they win or lose one or even both of their final 2 games. Us winning out, locks them into the 5 seed no matter what else happens. 

Let's assume that we will win out. What's better for us? Dallass losing a game that doesn't alter their playoff seeding or winning a game that doesn't alter their playoff seeding, but could significantly alter our playoff seeding to at worst the #2 seed or at best the #1 seed?

So you can, in good conscience, root for the Lions to lose this weekend without claiming it as rooting for the Cowboys to win. You'd be rooting for our seeding position. 

The Eagles win this division regardless of what Dallas does for the rest of the season as long as they win out. If Detroit beats Dallas it makes the Eagles run for the conference more difficult, because like it or not the Eagles need a lot of help for a chance at the conference. A win by Dallas or a tie is good for the Eagles. 

On 12/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Keep in mind that a Lions win this week and next week gives them (at worst) the #2 seed. Further suppose that the Lions win out and the 49ers lose one or both of their final games. That gives the Lions the 1 Seed.

But if the Lions lose one of their final 2 games, we win out and the 49ers lose one game, then we get the 1 seed. For Dallass, if we win out, they get the 5 seed regardless of whether they win or lose one or even both of their final 2 games. Us winning out, locks them into the 5 seed no matter what else happens. 

Let's assume that we will win out. What's better for us? Dallass losing a game that doesn't alter their playoff seeding or winning a game that doesn't alter their playoff seeding, but could significantly alter our playoff seeding to at worst the #2 seed or at best the #1 seed?

So you can, in good conscience, root for the Lions to lose this weekend without claiming it as rooting for the Cowboys to win. You'd be rooting for our seeding position. 

In that case why would the Boys try to help us out? My guess is they tank this Lions game on purpose.

59 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

We were less than 30 secs away from the #1 seed....

Oh well. Thanks Trashberry.

Now we have to hope Washington or the Rams hand the 49ers a loss. With that being the case regardless of how many people are upset Dallas won, that still keeps us in play for the number one seed. The Eagles have been to the bowl 4 times and every time they had the number one seed. Seems to me that’s their best chance to make it and if I have to root for teams I hate to get my team to their ultimate goal the so be it. 

• Like 1