Live Green. Bleed Green. Die Green.

Vileborg

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I don't agree with the thinking that once something trends in a direction that it is forever bound to that direction. Football is a game of matchups, not a game of history. There isn't a lot of positives to take away from the play in the last two games. But I'm confident that Slay is an improvement on defense and have a feeling that players like Cox and Graham and Kelce will give everything they have and those are 4 key vet leaders on this team. 

Last week, the Eagles were already out Smith and rested a couple other key guys. Then we saw AJ and Hurts get injured and pulled the plug. That isn't the team we'll be fielding Monday. 

You’re trying to isolate the Giants game in a vacuum when there is a good month and a half of a clear and obvious downward trend, which is also supported by a season of year long very inconsistent play even during the 10-1 stretch. 

1 hour ago, The Norseman said:

Amazing the similarities to the Kotite collapse.  Especially with us losing the World Series in 1993.  Those were tough years.

yes they were my man, yes they were. 

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

You’re trying to isolate the Giants game in a vacuum when there is a good month and a half of a clear and obvious downward trend, which is also supported by a season of year long very inconsistent play even during the 10-1 stretch. 

some don't want to accept the fact that getting players back isn't going to help with the predictable play calling on offense or change hurts' issue of holding onto the ball too long and missing open receivers. nor will it help with the disappearance of the run defense or any kind of middle of the field pass coverage. 

this team is what it is. that doesn't mean they can't win on monday, but thinking there is a switch that can magically be turned on, is fool's gold IMO.

i hope i'm wrong though. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

some don't want to accept the fact that getting players back isn't going to help with the predictable play calling on offense or change hurts' issue of holding onto the ball too long and missing open receivers. nor will it help with the disappearance of the run defense or any kind of middle of the field pass coverage. 

this team is what it is. that doesn't mean they can't win on monday, but thinking there is a switch that can magically be turned on, is fool's gold IMO.

i hope i'm wrong though. 

I think the locker room has been lost. No other explanation in my mind could justify this sort of widespread incompetence on both sides of the ball.  Other than Special Teams, I don't see a single thing working as it is supposed to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Norseman said:

I think the locker room has been lost. No other explanation in my mind could justify this sort of widespread incompetence on both sides of the ball.  Other than Special Teams, I don't see a single thing working as it is supposed to. 

howie picked the coordinators and the players. he has to be held responsible as well. 

these SEC boys don't know how to deal with losing. 

On 1/9/2024 at 10:15 AM, EaglesAddict said:

And I don't even like calling that a "Negadelphian".  How about a "Realistadelphian" ? :whistle:

It's cool if folks want to be a blind optimist...cheer on the team every week, always hope for the best, etc.  But, like you, I believed what my eyes were telling me all season.  I was not surprised by this collapse.  The signs were there all year, every game.  Was I glad they won?  Of course!  But I definitely did not like what I was seeing when watching the team with analytical eyes.  

I don't consider myself a Negadelphian because I thought this way.  I think there is a large swath of Eagles fans that fall somewhere in between being a blind optimist and a knee-jerk negative nancy.

We have Negadelphians, because some of these "fans" only come out of hiding when the team is doing bad.  When everything's good, they scatter like roaches.  

There's nothing wrong with being realistic. I too was realistic earlier about how bad the team looked, but I admittedly didn't think the defense was this bad. I knew they weren't very good during the 10-1 stretch, but they somehow got worse. The offense got worse too, which is the real headscratcher. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Every single pessimist considers himself a "realist." Every ... single ... one ...

How can you tell if you are a pessimist or a realist? It's pretty simple --- A realist would never say, "the season is over," or, "even if we win the wildcard game, we're just going to get blown out in the divisional round... " or, "this player is just going to get hurt again as soon as he plays," or, "even if Howie has the best draft spot, he'll just blow the pick on a player nobody has on their draft board," or, "If the your QB runs, he will just get hurt," or, "I expect this player to get a bonehead penalty every game." etc...

You see, a realist truly believes in all possible outcomes. Would a realist say, "The Eagles are in the playoffs and can win a Super Bowl this season." ? Yes, because a realist knows they can fail or succeed and doesn't hang on to one possibility over the other. 

The funny thing is, there probably aren't any "blind optimists." The people that believe there's a chance for this team are closer to reailists than those that don't. So they get incorrectly labeled as the blind optimists just because they don't cling to the negative. I consider myself more of a pessimist while watching games at times, but I try to be optimistic. You look around at the NFL and there are several teams in the playoffs that have been playing better than the Eagles the last several weeks. Find me one blind optimist that believes that there is no way the Eagles can lose. As I said, that guy doesn't exist.

It just cracks me up when pessimists claim to be realists. 

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but, what I consider a "realist" is someone who sees things from all sides and leans in one direction based on what they're seeing.  A true realist is different from a pessimist, IMO, although they are commonly associated with each other. 

For example, I was happy that the Eagles were winning games...I watch them regardless week in and week out.  Even though I was happy with the wins, I could see there were several flaws with this team that, if continued, would eventually start costing them.  I never said "the season is over", etc...at best, I may have said something along those lines due to venting/frustration.  

But, when emotions settle and rational thinking comes back, I went into every game with "guarded optimism" because I hoped they'd win, but the "realistic" part of me knew there's a just as good of a chance they'll lose based on the previously observed flaws.  Over the course of this season there has been a lot of good and a lot of bad...you could see it from the first game of the season.  A realist is likely more analytical in nature.

People that are truly just negative nancies like to call themselves a realist because that's their only comeback if someone calls them out.  

When I think of blind optimists, I just see them as the folks who rarely, if ever, speak negatively about the team and typically have a more optimistic viewpoint.  They'd first point out the good and talk about that while maybe only acknowledging the bad with a subtle head nod.  They may say things like "they're not playing well right now" or something similar...but they would never go on a tirade saying "they suck", "season's over", "Fire everyone!!!"...and then feel the same exact way later. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MF POON said:

We have Negadelphians, because some of these "fans" only come out of hiding when the team is doing bad.  When everything's good, they scatter like roaches.  

There's nothing wrong with being realistic. I too was realistic earlier about how bad the team looked, but I admittedly didn't think the defense was this bad. I knew they weren't very good during the 10-1 stretch, but they somehow got worse. The offense got worse too, which is the real headscratcher. 

It's a funny psychological thing when it comes to this stuff...very similar to how people, in general, are more motivated to take the time to post a negative review on Google vs taking the time to post a positive review.  Negative emotions definitely invoke more action by the average person.

The Negadelphians that only post when things are bad are most likely just venting their anger because underneath they're very passionate about the team.  They're probably also highly volatile people in general with low IQs. :whistle: (i.e., blowhards)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Obviously it was a bad stretch of games. Everybody knows it. I just don't believe that has anything to do with the next game. Unlike the regular season, playoff games are "must win." This team wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire in the last portion of last (regular) season. They barely beat the bears, lost to the cowboys and saints and then struggled to beat the giants' 2nd team. But when the playoffs began, they put it together. 

28 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Obviously it was a bad stretch of games. Everybody knows it. I just don't believe that has anything to do with the next game. Unlike the regular season, playoff games are "must win." This team wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire in the last portion of last (regular) season. They barely beat the bears, lost to the cowboys and saints and then struggled to beat the giants' 2nd team. But when the playoffs began, they put it together. 

That team also showed stretches of dominance, so you know it was there. 2 of those games were without Hurts playing, when he had a monster season. The Bears game was one where Hurts played stupidly because as I said numerous time back them, he played that game as a battering ram, which is not how anyone should play the QB. That's what RBs are for.

This year's team hasn't played a solid 4 quarters in 17 attempts. The defense has gone from sketchy in halves, to down right atrocious over complete games. The offense has turned the ball over at an alarming rate. The offensive play calling has been stupid to the point players are visibly frustrated. I get wanting to believe, but you've got your head so far buried in the sand right now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Norseman said:

Anyone going into Sunday expecting anything but an embarrassing performance hasn't been watching this team over the last 5 weeks.  

Could they surprise us?  Yes.  Is there any evidence to suggest they will?  No. 

I think most fans have emotionally insulated themselves and are mentally prepared for another horrendous outing. 

In my mind, our only hope in this game is that Tampa beats themselves. 

The wonderful news is that they literally can’t lose Sunday…

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2024 at 9:04 AM, The Norseman said:

Anyone going into Sunday expecting anything but an embarrassing performance hasn't been watching this team over the last 5 weeks.  

Could they surprise us?  Yes.  Is there any evidence to suggest they will?  No. 

I think most fans have emotionally insulated themselves and are mentally prepared for another horrendous outing. 

In my mind, our only hope in this game is that Tampa beats themselves. 

Damn right they can surprise us ... they could play on Sunday!  :P