Eagles have the worst DC in Eagles history compared to talent that had available to them on the team

JournalistMic

On 1/9/2024 at 5:47 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is false though. Last year they had CJGJ who was a very good Safety who came up with 6/7 INTs. They had a DT who got double digit sacks. They had Slay and Bradberry a year younger. They had TJ Edwards who turned out to be a pretty good LB and even White was about average (maybe slightly below average). Cox and BG were also a year younger. So to say they've had the same talent is wrong. Look the DC appointment hasn't worked out, Desai didn't do a good enough job and Patricia has managed to be worse. But they are not working with a particularly talented group. Scheme and execution is an issue too and that is on the players as well as the coaches.

Agreed. They lost a lot more than people realize.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 2:47 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is false though. Last year they had CJGJ who was a very good Safety who came up with 6/7 INTs. They had a DT who got double digit sacks. They had Slay and Bradberry a year younger. They had TJ Edwards who turned out to be a pretty good LB and even White was about average (maybe slightly below average). Cox and BG were also a year younger. So to say they've had the same talent is wrong. Look the DC appointment hasn't worked out, Desai didn't do a good enough job and Patricia has managed to be worse. But they are not working with a particularly talented group. Scheme and execution is an issue too and that is on the players as well as the coaches.

I also agree. Our safety play is not close to what it was last season. Blankenship is a cool story, but is a replacement level player. Byard hasn't been playing up to his previous level in Philly. Maybe because he is older. The CB's are older and the backups are replacement level. The linebackers haven't shown anything. I'm excited if we can get a solid Shaq Leonard going forward, even if he isn't 100% of what he used to be. And then the Dline is not as deep and losing Hargrave was massive. Carter looks like he has hit the rookie wall, despite probably developing into a better player than Hargrave long-term.

Need a good draft and/or FA next year to infuse the defense with talent and depth. And we need better coordinators on both sides.

18 hours ago, MisterGreen said:

Agreed. They lost a lot more than people realize.

I think most people recognised that we were losing a lot of talent but there was hope with some of our offseason moves. Bringing back Bradberry and Slay was seen as a really good move. It hasn't worked out but people saw it that way. Losing Hargrave was big but then bringing in Carter was seen as a major addition. With Nolan Smith that was meant to add real depth and quality to DE but so far he's really struggled.

14 hours ago, Devaster said:

I also agree. Our safety play is not close to what it was last season. Blankenship is a cool story, but is a replacement level player. Byard hasn't been playing up to his previous level in Philly. Maybe because he is older. The CB's are older and the backups are replacement level. The linebackers haven't shown anything. I'm excited if we can get a solid Shaq Leonard going forward, even if he isn't 100% of what he used to be. And then the Dline is not as deep and losing Hargrave was massive. Carter looks like he has hit the rookie wall, despite probably developing into a better player than Hargrave long-term.

Need a good draft and/or FA next year to infuse the defense with talent and depth. And we need better coordinators on both sides.

No our safety play has been bad and combined with the LBs it leaves the middle of the field wide open. I like Blankenship but as a rotation guy I don't think he's a starter for a team with SB ambitions. I think with the young CBs we need to wait and see. I think Ringo and Ricks have flashed a little bit, certainly with Ringo there is a good player there but he needs experience and with that will come rookie hiccups.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think most people recognised that we were losing a lot of talent but there was hope with some of our offseason moves. Bringing back Bradberry and Slay was seen as a really good move. It hasn't worked out but people saw it that way. Losing Hargrave was big but then bringing in Carter was seen as a major addition. With Nolan Smith that was meant to add real depth and quality to DE but so far he's really struggled.

No our safety play has been bad and combined with the LBs it leaves the middle of the field wide open. I like Blankenship but as a rotation guy I don't think he's a starter for a team with SB ambitions. I think with the young CBs we need to wait and see. I think Ringo and Ricks have flashed a little bit, certainly with Ringo there is a good player there but he needs experience and with that will come rookie hiccups.

I think Blankenship is someone you keep around as starter and hope he kicks on further as you put better players around him, he's the one member of the secondary who has consistently done his job all year, his numbers stack up against a lot better regarded safeties, at times he's been left alone covering the full width of the back end because the corners lost coverage or he's been covering a situation where whoever he doesn't track is getting the ball and that makes him look worse than he is. Letting him go would be a mistake.

Safety is one of the few positions on defense they could probably just about get away with standing pat on, Brown and Blankenship aren't the best safeties in the league but they do have significant potential going forward and Byard along with experience could help them develop into solid contributors, the rest of the back 7 is a disaster and that allied with injuries means they've been called upon a lot more than is ideal given their experience this year.

On 1/9/2024 at 6:21 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

'Almost exactly the same players', except for one of their starting DT's who got double digit sacks, both their starting linebackers, both their starting safeties and 3 rotational defensive linemen.

46NxPNoI_400x400.jpeg.7836c74262b2d9cee6b6c2f2458bdbbe.jpeg

image.png.11836fb9bb9a85e568f8630d9bb0dd89.png

This season DT Jalen Carter had 6 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 Fumble Recovery for a Touchdown, 1 blocked Feild Goal kick, not to mention being double teamed at times and game planned for compared to Javon Hargrave's 7 sacks, ZERO Forced Fumbles, ZERO TDs, and less tackles. I think they are equal if not the edge goes to the rookie who will only get better and didn't have as many snaps as Javon.

As far as last year sacks that only helps my argument that it's been the DC game plan and not the players. I agree CJ Gardner-Johnson isn't playing which was a huge loss, and consider how cheap he got paid for Detroit I'm still not understanding that move. That being said I don't think the loss in personnel warrants a valid excuse for how bad this defense has been this year.

Not to mention the players on Defense that were added this season such as CB Roby, CB K. Ringo (that guy is a star), Safety Brown (if not for tearing his ACL he would've made a huge difference in tomorrows game), Reed still here and even got better this year. 

And what would DC JG (hate mentioning him a positive light) have done with OLB Nolan Smith?

I am calling out the Eagles DC and challenging him to holding the Bucs to less than 14 points tomorrow.

I don't care how many yards you allow, but don't allow the Bucs offense to score more than 14 points ! 

9 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

I am calling out the Eagles DC and challenging him to holding the Bucs to less than 14 points tomorrow.

I don't care how many yards you allow, but don't allow the Bucs offense to score more than 14 points ! 

I hope he reads this, bro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

I'll make sure this message reaches Patricia's inbox.

• Thanks 1