Did anyone else notice the weak ass block?

BornGreen

Not sure which play exactly it was but I’m thinking third qtr where possibly it was Gainwell cutting back behind the LOS to get away from defenders and Hurts literally whiffed out on a chicken wing block!  It’s been eaten at me.  Anyone else recall that laughable attempt?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, BornGreen said:

Not sure which play exactly it was but I’m thinking third qtr where possibly it was Gainwell cutting back behind the LOS to get away from defenders and Hurts literally whiffed out on a chicken wing block!  It’s been eaten at me.  Anyone else recall that laughable attempt?  

Yeah I saw it, but not as egregious as that horrible safety play. Frankly there have been a lot of plays by Hurts this past season that just were head scratching. Of course the play itself was also a joke. They were basically trying to run the ball where the blitzes were and the offensive line couldn’t block to save their lives. Frankly there were so many mistakes made in that last game that Jalen not making that block falls well below some of the other issues like idiot corners tackling one another, or missed tackles by veteran players. Heck they did a far better job tackling their own players than tackling the Bucs. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BornGreen said:

Fans: Hurts should run less and not put himself at risk.

BornGreen: Hurts should be out there being a lead blocker for a RB! :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

This team became just a completely dysfunctional joke for the last 1/3rd of the season - it is hard to focus on any single play.  We'll see if they can all get that fire back when new coordinators are hired that hopefully know WTF they are doing and can scheme much better.  On to 2024!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

This team became just a completely dysfunctional joke for the last 1/3rd of the season - it is hard to focus on any single play.  We'll see if they can all get that fire back when new coordinators are hired that hopefully know WTF they are doing and can scheme much better.  On to 2024!

Yep. There were LOTS of bad plays, bad decisions, bad coaching, bad execution, everything. The dysfunction trickled down and affected almost every player. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NOTW said:

Fans: Hurts should run less and not put himself at risk.

BornGreen: Hurts should be out there being a lead blocker for a RB! :lol:

Not asking him to be a lead blocker in any run game.  Just asking him to put more effort into being a team player by putting more than an elbow out to stop a negative play.  I’ve said all year Hurts turned into a **** with his run game.  He constantly bails backwards after already taking the snap in shotgun,  heads to the sideline for a forced sack or my favorite is him simply running out of bounds on his own accord a yard short of the LOS or even a first down.  Just very frustrated with his lack of leadership qualities.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BornGreen said:

Not asking him to be a lead blocker in any run game.  Just asking him to put more effort into being a team player by putting more than an elbow out to stop a negative play.  I’ve said all year Hurts turned into a **** with his run game.  He constantly bails backwards after already taking the snap in shotgun,  heads to the sideline for a forced sack or my favorite is him simply running out of bounds on his own accord a yard short of the LOS or even a first down.  Just very frustrated with his lack of leadership qualities.  

I get it, was kidding with you. I mean, look at other QBs around the league though. Plus, there have been times Hurts HAS made those type of blocks and put himself in harm's way and fans complain he shouldn't do that. The whole team was performing badly, the dysfunction trickled down from the coach to everyone. Veterans made mistakes, penalties, fumbles, missed tackles, etc. etc. They need to get new coaching and start fresh.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:39 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I saw it, but not as egregious as that horrible safety play. Frankly there have been a lot of plays by Hurts this past season that just were head scratching. Of course the play itself was also a joke. They were basically trying to run the ball where the blitzes were and the offensive line couldn’t block to save their lives. Frankly there were so many mistakes made in that last game that Jalen not making that block falls well below some of the other issues like idiot corners tackling one another, or missed tackles by veteran players. Heck they did a far better job tackling their own players than tackling the Bucs. 

Funny stuff. Someday Eagles 2023 defense videos will be playing on the Classics channel along with Charlie Chaplin and 3 Stooges.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BornGreen said:

Ever heard of leading from behind? Come on man. The farther back Hurts is behind the LOS, the more he's leading.

I'll be honest. That effort pissed me off. It's a playoff game for crying out loud. Unlike most of this fan base I don't live in perpetual fear of injuries and don't believe that the QB making a block on that play would lead to one. The next play was the safety. That's why he should have made the block in the first place. 

Here's an example of a good effort:

This was not:

I figure Hurts makes that block and Gainwell gets at least 4 more yards before he's tackled if he doesn't make the next defender miss. On that part of the field, that's a big difference. I also think when teammates see a QB make a good block on a busted play like that, it fires them up. So, in conclusion, it set up a failure and failed to inspire. 

I'm not going to dwell on it. I just hope he learned from it. That effort, IMO, was not a football play. It was not aesthetically pleasing. It was like sitcom acting. I only expect football players to make football plays, not to play act on the field. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 9:53 AM, BornGreen said:

For who for what. Kenneth 'Barry Sanders' Gainwell was going no where even if he laid out a HOF of Blocking Riley Cooper pancake. Hand was already Fd up now you want him risking a shoulder injury on a inevitable tackle for loss play? As someone said this play was the least of the problems compared to that dumb ass safety he took.

He makes that block and they probably aren't in a position to take a safety. What is the worst thing that could have happened to the Eagles if Jalen gets hurt on that play? They lose? Ummmmm........

3 minutes ago, judunno said:

For who for what. Kenneth 'Barry Sanders' Gainwell was going no where even if he laid out a HOF of Blocking Riley Cooper pancake. Hand was already Fd up now you want him risking a shoulder injury on a inevitable tackle for loss play? As someone said this play was the least of the problems compared to that dumb ass safety he took.

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

He makes that block and they probably aren't in a position to take a safety. What is the worst thing that could have happened to the Eagles if Jalen gets hurt on that play? They lose? Ummmmm........

Did you not see all of those players in pursuit ready to blow him up waiting for him on the other side? Yaw complain about the dumbest attention.

Yes. By my calculations that play ends at about the 7 yard line by the time Gainwell gets tackled. There's a big difference between running a play on the 7 yard line compare to the 3 yard line. It's a playoff game. Fight for every yard. 

4 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Yes. By my calculations that play ends at about the 7 yard line by the time Gainwell gets tackled. There's a big difference between running a play on the 7 yard line compare to the 3 yard line. It's a playoff game. Fight for every yard. 

Lol .. that must be some hell of a block you're putting in your calculations there 

On 1/23/2024 at 11:32 AM, BornGreen said:

This sounded like Bennett in Comando. That block made me laugh. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.

I'd be pissed at Hurts if he got himself knocked out of a game laying down a block.  

If it's the 4th quarter on a go-ahead scoring drive, then I'll get mad at him for not doing it.

IMO, no problem with it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I'd be pissed at Hurts if he got himself knocked out of a game laying down a block.  

If it's the 4th quarter on a go-ahead scoring drive, then I'll get mad at him for not doing it.

IMO, no problem with it.

Guess these guys never seen other QBs in the league get out of dodge before laying down a block. They're literally told to do that. Not exactly something they practice on the regular.

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Guess these guys never seen other QBs in the league get out of dodge before laying down a block. They're literally told to do that. Not exactly something they practice on the regular.

Maybe you can tell me exactly how many QBs got hurt making a block in the last 20 years. Can you name even 1? It's just such a dangerous thing. Again: Please explain how Hurts will get hurt doing this:

• Haha 1

Are we really focusing on a block not thrown by our franchise QB who played with a bad finger on a play that was an idiot circling behind the LOS to lose yards?

seems like the last thing to worry about 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Are we really focusing on a block not thrown by our franchise QB who played with a bad finger on a play that was an idiot circling behind the LOS to lose yards?

Yes 🤣

I'm not disputing it was a bad mistake by Gainwell. I'm just acknowledging that Hurts was in position to save a few yards simply by getting in the way. Yes the play pissed me off. Yes the play set up the safety. Yes the safety played a critical role in the embarrassing playoff loss. It comes down to effort. Every star, high-priced player can take an "out" on a play here and there and people won't say anything. It's the players that give 100% on every play, though, that inspire teammates to do the same. He didn't just avoid contact on that play, he set the tone for the team for the rest of the game. 

I was equally pissed by the following plays:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=317656809929258

None of this means I'm not a fan of Jalen Hurts. I just strongly believe that single decision had a much bigger influence overall on the team and their performance than people want to believe. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

It's gonna be a long offseason. :lol:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, NOTW said:

It's gonna be a long offseason. :lol:

In some multiverse out there Hurts lays a crushing block, Gainwell only loses two yards, and the Eagles rally around the block to not only win the game but also the Superbowl!

On 1/25/2024 at 7:47 PM, brkmsn said:

I'll be honest. That effort pissed me off. It's a playoff game for crying out loud. Unlike most of this fan base I don't live in perpetual fear of injuries and don't believe that the QB making a block on that play would lead to one. The next play was the safety. That's why he should have made the block in the first place. 

Here's an example of a good effort:

This was not:

I figure Hurts makes that block and Gainwell gets at least 4 more yards before he's tackled if he doesn't make the next defender miss. On that part of the field, that's a big difference. I also think when teammates see a QB make a good block on a busted play like that, it fires them up. So, in conclusion, it set up a failure and failed to inspire. 

I'm not going to dwell on it. I just hope he learned from it. That effort, IMO, was not a football play. It was not aesthetically pleasing. It was like sitcom acting. I only expect football players to make football plays, not to play act on the field. 

What pisses me off is that we force gainwell into games when he’s not an nfl player.  Look at this hole.  JFC, my dead grandma could run through that hole for 15 yards at least.  If you only run 6 times a game at least give your 1000y back the opportunities 

IMG_1838.png

• Like 1