Did anyone else notice the weak ass block?

BornGreen

8 hours ago, DBW said:

What pisses me off is that we force gainwell into games when he’s not an nfl player.  Look at this hole.  JFC, my dead grandma could run through that hole for 15 yards at least.  If you only run 6 times a game at least give your 1000y back the opportunities 

IMG_1838.png

That play was extremely well defended (as if the defense knew exactly what was called). It was designed to go between Lane and Goedert with Kelce leading the way. Britt (52) reads the play the whole way. Nelson (98) easily gets off the Dickerson block and would have stuffed that run in what you see in that pic as a hole. Gainwell correctly follows Kelce, but Goedert's block on Tryon-Shoyinka (9) fails and Kelce has to pick him up leaving Britt free to contain. Once it all fell apart, Gainwell made the HUGE mistake of trying to reverse field. He could have been down at the 10 by just putting his shoulder down and going forward. Trying to adlib by running backwards is idiotic. That possession was a clown show. 

There are plenty things to be pissed about on that series. But saying Gainwell "isn't an NFL player" is nuts. Sure, I think Swift is the better runner of the two, but Gainwell is far from a "bad" RB. 

For the record. I didn't create this thread. I did relay my thoughts about the topic. I hate seeing a lack of effort more than I hate seeing a mistake. There were both on that play. Goedert failed to execute his block, Gainwell turned a blown-up play into a huge blunder, and Hurts had an opportunity minimize the blunder with more effort. It should have never come down to the part involving Hurts, but both Goedert and Gainwell were at least trying even if they both failed on that play. 

I am still happy to have Hurts as our franchise QB and have tons of confidence in him. But keep in mind he's the emotional leader of the team. How many times has he said before a game, "Give me everything you f'in  got!" or stated in a press conference that he's going to give everything he has (on the field)? Part of being "THE" leader is to demonstrate that quality. He had an opportunity right there to do that very thing. He didn't have to decleat the guy. He just needed to make an effort to set the example. 

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

That play was extremely well defended (as if the defense knew exactly what was called). It was designed to go between Lane and Goedert with Kelce leading the way. Britt (52) reads the play the whole way. Nelson (98) easily gets off the Dickerson block and would have stuffed that run in what you see in that pic as a hole. Gainwell correctly follows Kelce, but Goedert's block on Tryon-Shoyinka (9) fails and Kelce has to pick him up leaving Britt free to contain. Once it all fell apart, Gainwell made the HUGE mistake of trying to reverse field. He could have been down at the 10 by just putting his shoulder down and going forward. Trying to adlib by running backwards is idiotic. That possession was a clown show. 

There are plenty things to be pissed about on that series. But saying Gainwell "isn't an NFL player" is nuts. Sure, I think Swift is the better runner of the two, but Gainwell is far from a "bad" RB. 

For the record. I didn't create this thread. I did relay my thoughts about the topic. I hate seeing a lack of effort more than I hate seeing a mistake. There were both on that play. Goedert failed to execute his block, Gainwell turned a blown-up play into a huge blunder, and Hurts had an opportunity minimize the blunder with more effort. It should have never come down to the part involving Hurts, but both Goedert and Gainwell were at least trying even if they both failed on that play. 

I am still happy to have Hurts as our franchise QB and have tons of confidence in him. But keep in mind he's the emotional leader of the team. How many times has he said before a game, "Give me everything you f'in  got!" or stated in a press conference that he's going to give everything he has (on the field)? Part of being "THE" leader is to demonstrate that quality. He had an opportunity right there to do that very thing. He didn't have to decleat the guy. He just needed to make an effort to set the example. 

I’m not gonna pretend to know where the players designed to go or blocking schemes on this particular play, but it’s pretty clear that if he kept running and cut into this huge hole it goes for positive yards and the safety never happens.  The criticism of Jalen is stupid, a missed QB block on a play that shouldn’t have been anywhere near him is the last thing I’m thinking about here.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DBW said:

I’m not gonna pretend to know where the players designed to go or blocking schemes on this particular play, but it’s pretty clear that if he kept running and cut into this huge hole it goes for positive yards and the safety never happens.  The criticism of Jalen is stupid, a missed QB block on a play that shouldn’t have been anywhere near him is the last thing I’m thinking about here.  

There's no pretending. Watch the play, not a still pic, and you will see it all unfold. Kelce is the key to understanding where Gainwell is supposed to run. Even your still-pic shows enough to understand. No point in explaining it. See for yourself:

If Gainwell breaks off his run to go through the hole you're talking about, the play goes for no gain. At the point where Gainwell sees the defense blow up the right side and he stops, he had a chance to put his head down and get back to the LOS. Instead, he tries to reverse field after a stutter step and use Hurts as a blocker. In my opinion, I believe if Hurts blocks 54, Gainwell with a full head of steam gets back to the 7 yard line for just  a 3 yard loss. 

BTW, on the next play Goedert picked up 10 yards. The safety was pretty much all on Hurts. He tried to one-up Gainwell on running backwards. Gainwell lost 6 or 7 yards. Hurts was being tackled 3 yards deep in the endzone (when he tried to ground it) on a play that started at the 13 yard line. 

I really don't care who it is --- when I see a player put no effort into helping a teammate on a play when the opportunity is there I'm going to criticize that effort.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 3:14 AM, brkmsn said:

There's no pretending. Watch the play, not a still pic, and you will see it all unfold. Kelce is the key to understanding where Gainwell is supposed to run. Even your still-pic shows enough to understand. No point in explaining it. See for yourself:

If Gainwell breaks off his run to go through the hole you're talking about, the play goes for no gain. At the point where Gainwell sees the defense blow up the right side and he stops, he had a chance to put his head down and get back to the LOS. Instead, he tries to reverse field after a stutter step and use Hurts as a blocker. In my opinion, I believe if Hurts blocks 54, Gainwell with a full head of steam gets back to the 7 yard line for just  a 3 yard loss. 

BTW, on the next play Goedert picked up 10 yards. The safety was pretty much all on Hurts. He tried to one-up Gainwell on running backwards. Gainwell lost 6 or 7 yards. Hurts was being tackled 3 yards deep in the endzone (when he tried to ground it) on a play that started at the 13 yard line. 

I really don't care who it is --- when I see a player put no effort into helping a teammate on a play when the opportunity is there I'm going to criticize that effort.

I’ve watched the play several times and every time I see the same hole.  It’s an easy 3-5 yard gain if he cuts.  Or maybe it’s jason that missed the hole and he should have lead the way through it too.  Gainwell sucks.  We have a 1000y back that should have been in the game.  

On 1/30/2024 at 2:24 PM, DBW said:

I’ve watched the play several times and every time I see the same hole.  It’s an easy 3-5 yard gain if he cuts.  Or maybe it’s jason that missed the hole and he should have lead the way through it too.  Gainwell sucks.  We have a 1000y back that should have been in the game.  

Agreed. The TB LB lost his gap responsibility early. Gainwell puts his foot in the ground and cuts it up he gets some positive yards. Dumb play. Hurts sticking his head in on that play would have taken an unnecessary big hit because that guy was a heat seeking missile. 3 guys were waiting for Gainwell even if he did miraculously nail the guy with a block. QBs wear the red jerseys for a reason in practice. They don't block.  Remember Ocho Cinco trying to block Ray Lewis and damn near knocked himself out lol. Wouldn't want that for the franchise QB

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Agreed. The TB LB lost his gap responsibility early. Gainwell puts his foot in the ground and cuts it up he gets some positive yards. Dumb play. Hurts sticking his head in on that play would have taken an unnecessary big hit because that guy was a heat seeking missile. 3 guys were waiting for Gainwell even if he did miraculously nail the guy with a block. QBs wear the red jerseys for a reason in practice. They don't block.  Remember Ocho Cinco trying to block Ray Lewis and damn near knocked himself out lol. Wouldn't want that for the franchise QB

Absolutely right. There's no way in the world a QB can make a block without getting a season ending injury. It's a foregone conclusion. Taking the safety two plays later while getting flipped on his head in the endzone was a much safer option. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Absolutely right. There's no way in the world a QB can make a block without getting a season ending injury. It's a foregone conclusion. Taking the safety two plays later while getting flipped on his head in the endzone was a much safer option. 

No one said that. It was the correct business decision to make in this circumstance. You don't expose your QB to unnecessary hits when your RB is being a dumb ass. They are actually coached to get out of the damn way. Further who knows what Gainwell would have done. The numb skull may have tried to reverse field again after he saw 3 guys coming at him to lose even more yards. You're over-analyzing a dead play. Get out of the way and live to play another down without the risk to your already injured QB. You should be talking about the dumb ass safety Hurts took more than blowing up this idiotic play that the RB Fd up.

1 hour ago, judunno said:

No one said that. It was the correct business decision to make in this circumstance. You don't expose your QB to unnecessary hits when your RB is being a dumb ass. They are actually coached to get out of the damn way. Further who knows what Gainwell would have done. The numb skull may have tried to reverse field again after he saw 3 guys coming at him to lose even more yards. You're over-analyzing a dead play. Get out of the way and live to play another down without the risk to your already injured QB. You should be talking about the dumb ass safety Hurts took more than blowing up this idiotic play that the RB Fd up.

I've already stated that this doesn't affect my opinion (which is high) on Hurts and I fully understand it was one play and not his worst of the game. I merely responded to the topic with an acknowledgement of my reaction when I saw it unfold in the game. Yes, his effort there pissed me off. I want 100% effort on every play from every player. I am very conistent in my arguments on this forum about injuries. You can't predict them nor can you prevent them. Pretending to minimize them is vain. For example, a QB can give himself up on any play, at anytime. He can make an effort to avoid any and all hits. Jim Everett became good at this:

... In essence, all that does is add a snap because the play didn't gain yards. So you avoid contact on that snap where maybe a receiver can make a positive play, but absolutely have to run another play for sure. These hypothetical rabbit holes are fun. Anyway, it doesn't bother me if the QB runs 0 times in a game or 25 times in a game as long as we win the game. I don't stress over "what could happen" regarding injuries. I just want whatever player has the ball to give full effort and I want everybody else that is in position to help the runner also give full effort. I want the leader of this team that tells his teammates to give him all they've got and who repeatedly says he's going to give all he's got, to simply do just that. I don't expect perfection. Mistakes happen. But a lack of effort is more offensive to me. 

I understand that continuing to argue in this thread will give casual readers the impression that that single play was somehow a huge deal to me, when it wasn't. I was simply pissed by the effort when I saw him about to block and then decide not to. That's all this thread is about. Jalen has 100% of my support and I only hope he learns from mistakes and continues to grow as a player. As the team leader, I feel that was a bad example --- especially in a must win game. When McNabb gutted out that performance on the broken fibula in a game that was seemingly pivotal at that point, it truly inspired that defense to pick up the slack during the Feeley stretch. Sometimes a guy doing more than expected of him on a play or in a game  can really inspire teammates. A good leader needs to lead well. 

10 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I've already stated that this doesn't affect my opinion (which is high) on Hurts and I fully understand it was one play and not his worst of the game. I merely responded to the topic with an acknowledgement of my reaction when I saw it unfold in the game. Yes, his effort there pissed me off. I want 100% effort on every play from every player. I am very conistent in my arguments on this forum about injuries. You can't predict them nor can you prevent them. Pretending to minimize them is vain. For example, a QB can give himself up on any play, at anytime. He can make an effort to avoid any and all hits. Jim Everett became good at this:

... In essence, all that does is add a snap because the play didn't gain yards. So you avoid contact on that snap where maybe a receiver can make a positive play, but absolutely have to run another play for sure. These hypothetical rabbit holes are fun. Anyway, it doesn't bother me if the QB runs 0 times in a game or 25 times in a game as long as we win the game. I don't stress over "what could happen" regarding injuries. I just want whatever player has the ball to give full effort and I want everybody else that is in position to help the runner also give full effort. I want the leader of this team that tells his teammates to give him all they've got and who repeatedly says he's going to give all he's got, to simply do just that. I don't expect perfection. Mistakes happen. But a lack of effort is more offensive to me. 

I understand that continuing to argue in this thread will give casual readers the impression that that single play was somehow a huge deal to me, when it wasn't. I was simply pissed by the effort when I saw him about to block and then decide not to. That's all this thread is about. Jalen has 100% of my support and I only hope he learns from mistakes and continues to grow as a player. As the team leader, I feel that was a bad example --- especially in a must win game. When McNabb gutted out that performance on the broken fibula in a game that was seemingly pivotal at that point, it truly inspired that defense to pick up the slack during the Feeley stretch. Sometimes a guy doing more than expected of him on a play or in a game  can really inspire teammates. A good leader needs to lead well. 

Man you wrote like two books on it already it's clearly a big deal to you lmao.

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Man you wrote like two books on it already it's clearly a big deal to you lmao.

:rolleyes:

Me right, you wrong, end thread.