CAP Question 2024

Traveler Vic

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/philadelphia-eagles-salary-cap-2024-most-expensive-contracts-jalen-hurts-lane-johnson-haason-reddick/#

According to this Eagles have roughly $20,284,984.  which ranks 18th in the NFL per Over The Cap

1) Are we keeping Byard, Maddox, and Bradberry? Because if not and with Kielce probably retiring..What will the Cap Be at least Approximately?

There are a lot of hired guns that should , (I Wish!), depart. (Bradberry #1) But I heard that Eagles may have to keep him.

Just trying to visualize our abilities for year 2024, based on the CAP ramifications. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

1) Are we keeping Byard, Maddox, and Bradberry? Because if not and with Kielce probably retiring..What will the Cap Be at least Approximately?

There are a lot of hired guns that should , (I Wish!), depart. (Bradberry #1) But I heard that Eagles may have to keep him.

Just trying to visualize our abilities for year 2024, based on the CAP ramifications. Thanks.

I saw something on this the other day and I think if they cut Byard, Maddox and Bradberry they can free up something like $15M so that would put them around $35M which i think is a pretty decent amount? I think Byard and Bradberry need to go. Maddox is a good player but has a fairly big cap number and can never stay healthy so they either need to move on or they need to restructure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I saw something on this the other day and I think if they cut Byard, Maddox and Bradberry they can free up something like $15M so that would put them around $35M which i think is a pretty decent amount? I think Byard and Bradberry need to go. Maddox is a good player but has a fairly big cap number and can never stay healthy so they either need to move on or they need to restructure.

Not quite accurate.

IMG_0471.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Not quite accurate.

IMG_0471.jpeg

So even better than I thought! Not bad as they could do A LOT with that. Not to mention other potential moves they could look to move to free up more if they wanted.

I think it's time to move on from Maddox as well. Between his injuries and actually believe we overrate  him a little bit his 

number is too much

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Not quite accurate.

IMG_0471.jpeg

By Byard. Didn't like his vibes. Came in trying to run the show. Played soft. Wouldn't be surprised if he started the ball rolling with the Desai demotion.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 6:26 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So even better than I thought! Not bad as they could do A LOT with that. Not to mention other potential moves they could look to move to free up more if they wanted.

Byard is the most obvious one.  Cutting him results in only $1.4M in dead money to the 2024 cap (while yielding $13M in cap savings).  2024 is the final year of his current deal (he has 3 void years tacked onto the back end) so they could restructure his deal if they feel his veteran leadership is needed and to add depth.  Personally I hope they don't - I think it is time to move on from some of these aging vets.  I'd sooner see a draft pick added to the mix - those young guys are almost always hungrier.  

Bradberry's cap number for 2024 is only $4.3M ... cutting him would result in a $15.2M dead money hit (pre June 1).  If using the post June 1 designation that number drops to $4.3M (with no cap savings) so it will be interesting to see what they do with him.  They do have Isaiah Rodgers who should come off suspension who is entering his 4th season with cap hit of only $1M - perhaps he makes Bradberry expendable.  

Maddox will also be entering the final year of his current deal with a cap hit of $9.7M.  Cutting him (pre June 1) results in a $7.7M dead money hit to the cap ($2M in cap savings) - using a post June 1 designation those numbers become $2.5M (dead) and $7.1M (savings).  He seems like an ideal candidate to move on from (especially if you factor in his injury history).  There really aren't any other contracts where it makes sense to restructure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Byard is the most obvious one.  Cutting him results in only $1.4M in dead money to the 2024 cap (while yielding $132M in cap savings).  2024 is the final year of his current deal (he has 3 void years tacked onto the back end) so they could restructure his deal if they feel his veteran leadership is needed and to add depth.  Personally I hope they don't - I think it is time to move on from some of these aging vets.  I'd sooner see a draft pick added to the mix - those young guys are almost always hungrier.  

Bradberry's cap number for 2024 is only $4.3M ... cutting him would result in a $15.2M dead money hit (pre June 1).  If using the post June 1 designation that number drops to $4.3M (with no cap savings) so it will be interesting to see what they do with him.  They do have Isaiah Rodgers who should come off suspension who is entering his 4th season with cap hit of only $1M - perhaps he makes Bradberry expendable.  

Maddox will also be entering the final year of his current deal with a cap hit of $9.7M.  Cutting him (pre June 1) results in a $7.7M dead money hit to the cap ($2M in cap savings) - using a post June 1 designation those numbers become $2.5M (dead) and $7.1M (savings).  He seems like an ideal candidate to move on from (especially if you factor in his injury history).  There really aren't any other contracts where it makes sense to restructure.

Yeah Byard seems like an obvious one. You can cut him, save some cap and not have much of a dead hit. I guess they could restructure him if he wants to add years to his deal and have a reasonably low cap hit? But it wouldn't be most people's preference as he just didn't really perform when he was here. I suppose a lot will depend on Fangio? Does he think he can try to salvage him? Does he think he could get something more out of him? Probably not but I suppose we don't know.

For me Bradberry needs to be a post June 1 designation and just move on from him. You have Slay on one side and he is probably back. You have a couple of younger guys who flashed at times this year. And then I think you draft a guy and look to FA for another. That might be too much but at this point you've got to get younger at the position as well as much better. They can't bring Bradberry back because the guy is just cooked.

Maddox is a tough one... When he is healthy he is a good player but he gets hurt and misses a lot of time every year. It would be typical that he'd go elsewhere, play well and stay healthy but at this point that might just need to happen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah Byard seems like an obvious one. You can cut him, save some cap and not have much of a dead hit. I guess they could restructure him if he wants to add years to his deal and have a reasonably low cap hit? But it wouldn't be most people's preference as he just didn't really perform when he was here. I suppose a lot will depend on Fangio? Does he think he can try to salvage him? Does he think he could get something more out of him? Probably not but I suppose we don't know.

For me Bradberry needs to be a post June 1 designation and just move on from him. You have Slay on one side and he is probably back. You have a couple of younger guys who flashed at times this year. And then I think you draft a guy and look to FA for another. That might be too much but at this point you've got to get younger at the position as well as much better. They can't bring Bradberry back because the guy is just cooked.

Maddox is a tough one... When he is healthy he is a good player but he gets hurt and misses a lot of time every year. It would be typical that he'd go elsewhere, play well and stay healthy but at this point that might just need to happen.

I forgot to mention Reddick ... he is also entering the final year of his deal and has a cap hit of $22M this upcoming season.  I'm sure they will want to do a new deal to lower that and add a few years.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I forgot to mention Reddick ... he is also entering the final year of his deal and has a cap hit of $22M this upcoming season.  I'm sure they will want to do a new deal to lower that and add a few years.  

Oh really? Yeah I definitely see a Reddick deal coming. I think he is going to want more money but they will find a way to do that whilst actually lowering his cap hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cap hit of say... $15M (with lots of the clever things Howie tends to do) and then that frees up even more.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I didn't realise they save something like 13 mill if they cut Byard with about 1 mill in dead cap. There is no way they will keep him for 14 mill, they will either restructure if Fangio likes him or take the money and use it for a couple of guys instead. Howie won't want to pay a safety and might look at that 6 mill range and try and spread the money between that and 1 starting LB'er. 

56 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Byard is the most obvious one.  Cutting him results in only $1.4M in dead money to the 2024 cap (while yielding $132M in cap savings).  2024 is the final year of his current deal (he has 3 void years tacked onto the back end) so they could restructure his deal if they feel his veteran leadership is needed and to add depth.  Personally I hope they don't - I think it is time to move on from some of these aging vets.  I'd sooner see a draft pick added to the mix - those young guys are almost always hungrier.  

Rodgers is an outside corner and think it's very likely they look to start him there. He has only played a very minimal amount of snaps at the slot position. They maybe look at moving Bradberry to the slot (something they tried this year when they were super thin) and Maddox to safety if Byard is gone. It gives them some roster flexibility, but they still need to add at least one more safety with Maddox always injured and you're placing a lot of faith in Bradberry who was awful this year. Cutting Maddox is not worth it considering they save something like 1 mill and have a decent dead cap hit. If they cut Bradberry it would be just to free up the roster spot. 

9 minutes ago, Mat said:

I didn't realise they save something like 13 mill if they cut Byard with about 1 mill in dead cap. There is no way they will keep him for 14 mill, they will either restructure if Fangio likes him or take the money and use it for a couple of guys instead. Howie won't want to pay a safety and might look at that 6 mill range and try and spread the money between that and 1 starting LB'er. 

Rodgers is an outside corner and think it's very likely they look to start him there. He has only played a very minimal amount of snaps at the slot position. They maybe look at moving Bradberry to the slot (something they tried this year when they were super thin) and Maddox to safety if Byard is gone. It gives them some roster flexibility, but they still need to add at least one more safety with Maddox always injured and you're placing a lot of faith in Bradberry who was awful this year. Cutting Maddox is not worth it considering they save something like 1 mill and have a decent dead cap hit. If they cut Bradberry it would be just to free up the roster spot. 

Yep I mentioned a preference to add a draft pick on S to compete with / push Blank and Brown and offer depth.  

Cutting Maddox yields almost $2M in cap savings ($1.957M).  A post June 1 designation bumps that up to $7.1M ... that's pretty significant considering the need to give DeVonta a new contract (Dickerson too).  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mat said:

Yeah there’s no way Byard is here on that current cap hit. I’m not sure Howie would pay that for one of the top Safeties in the league let alone Byard who really didn’t get close to what we hoped. He either gets a restructure or he’s cut.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Yep I mentioned a preference to add a draft pick on S to compete with / push Blank and Brown and offer depth.  

Cutting Maddox yields almost $2M in cap savings ($1.957M).  A post June 1 designation bumps that up to $7.1M ... that's pretty significant considering the need to give DeVonta a new contract (Dickerson too).  

Brown tore his ACL so I don't think he would be ready for the start of the season or he would be pushing it to be ready for week 1 in a best case scenario. They will definitely need to do something at the safety position, how the approach that I have no idea. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mat said:

Brown tore his ACL so I don't think he would be ready for the start of the season or he would be pushing it to be ready for week 1 in a best case scenario. They will definitely need to do something at the safety position, how the approach that I have no idea. 

Shoot that's right ... completely forgot about Brown suffering that injury.  

21 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Shoot that's right ... completely forgot about Brown suffering that injury.  

Guys can be ready in 9 months recovering from that injury, but he will be rehabbing most of the way through training camp and putting a second year guy coming off a major injury like that in a prominent role would be a disaster waiting to happen. So sounds right up Howie's alley :lol:

all i know is that if we keep Bradberry there will be a riot and I will be leading it. 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Mat said:

Guys can be ready in 9 months recovering from that injury, but he will be rehabbing most of the way through training camp and putting a second year guy coming off a major injury like that in a prominent role would be a disaster waiting to happen. So sounds right up Howie's alley :lol:

Even if Brown wasn't coming off injury we need bodies there for depth purposes - hoping to add there with a draft pick.  But taking into consideration Brown's questionable status heading into the season, I wouldn't want to rely on a rookie to potentially start so it seems getting Byard inked to a new deal may be best (unless there is another vet we can sign that perhaps is a bit younger).  It's a shame we passed on some really good S prospects in recent drafts like Branch and Winfield Jr.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Even if Brown wasn't coming off injury we need bodies there for depth purposes - hoping to add there with a draft pick.  But taking into consideration Brown's questionable status heading into the season, I wouldn't want to rely on a rookie to potentially start so it seems getting Byard inked to a new deal may be best (unless there is another vet we can sign that perhaps is a bit younger).  It's a shame we passed on some really good S prospects in recent drafts like Branch and Winfield Jr.  

I was looking at this list and there are a handful of names I can see being potential targets at both S and LB'er

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

10 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

and with Kielce probably retiring..

:nonono:

• Haha 1

Cut: Bradberry, Byard, Morrow, Maddox, Zech.

There may be a couple more they cut. I suspect this national embarrassment especially on defense is going to bring a lot of roster changes. Plus the new DC will have input on the players that fit his scheme best.

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

They might want to keep Byard... Team has alot of holes they need to address.  LB,CB,DE  are a bigger priority than safety. 

10 minutes ago, Swimm said:

They might want to keep Byard... Team has alot of holes they need to address.  LB,CB,DE  are a bigger priority than safety. 

Byard is washed up and cutting him adds roughly $14 million in cap space. In 2024, he's currently the 3rd highest player on the roster. Think about that. Reddick and Lane Johnson are above him. Byard is making more than Hurts and AJ Brown.

He's gone. They will sign a couple free agents to pair with Blankenship and Brown.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Swimm said:

In addition to what NOTW said about Byard, The Eagles are still very confident in Dean at LB. They may try to bring back Cunningham on another short-term contract. At CB, they'll have Isaiah Rodgers and get to see how he fits. I still think Slay is a good starting corner. We're kind of stuck with Bradberry for now and just have to hope he can bounce back from an awful year. Ringo showed some promise when he finally was given some defensive snaps and that's a step in the right direction. 

What I'm saying is that if they do bring back Cunningham, LB and CB are not as big a need as the doomsdayers are claiming. Nolan Smith will probably assume a much bigger "edge" role on the team next season, but it is likely we'll draft a DE on either day 1 or day 2. If the Eagles bring back Williams they may view him as versatile DT/DE they can use. They're still going to want to get another DE or edge on a rookie deal, though. 

16 hours ago, NOTW said:

Byard is washed up and cutting him adds roughly $14 million in cap space. In 2024, he's currently the 3rd highest player on the roster. Think about that. Reddick and Lane Johnson are above him. Byard is making more than Hurts and AJ Brown.

He's gone. They will sign a couple free agents to pair with Blankenship and Brown.

A new deal that rips up the old one is very possible. Hes not getting a big contract on the open market and we’re probably his preferred destination. We can re-sign him and still save 10+m$