It doesn't look like Donovan was Asante's favorite Eagle

eglz1

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2024/02/legendary-eagles-qb-was-babied-ex-teammate-says-never-held-accountable-so-we-didnt-win-ring.html

Asante is saying what many suspected. Nick Sirianni might take heed of what Asante says about practices.

Legendary Eagles QB was babied, ex-teammate says | Not held ‘accountable,’ so we didn’t win ring

Reid-McNabb

Andy Reid coached Donovan McNabb for 11 seasons.Associated Press

Want to know why Andy Reid never won a Super Bowl during his 14 seasons coaching the Philadelphia Eagles?

Former star cornerback Asante Samuel has a theory because he witnessed it first-hand. It all relates to how Reid treated quarterback Donovan McNabb. More precisely, it’s the fact Reid let McNabb do what he wanted and didn’t hold him to a high enough standard. Samuel would know about execution as a guy who won two Super Bowls under Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

"Andy Reid would have won more Super Bowls if we were able to apply more discipline to Donovan McNabb — if we were able to hold him accountable more and not treat him like a baby,” Samuel said on "Said What Needs to Be Said” podcast Monday.

Samuel explained that the bad habits started in practice, a place where Brady and Belichick demanded perfection because of how it translated to games. Mistakes could mean practices started anew, Samuel said.

In Philadelphia, the Eagles’ offense would run a simple play with no defense, and McNabb, who played for the Eagles from 1999-2009, would often throw the ball into the dirt. Instead of frustration or a lashing from Reid or the coaching staff, however, nothing happened.

"How are we not going execute a ball from the quarterback to the receiver without anybody out there, let alone when someone goes out there?” asked Samuel, who was with the Eagles from 2008-11. "These things would go on a lot in practice and no one was saying anything. It bothered me.”

After seeing this too many times and "life (going) on like nothing ever happened,” Samuel went to Reid to express his dissatisfaction. The cornerback, who made three Pro Bowl teams with the Eagles, was stunned to hear Reid’s response.

“‘Asante, it’s your job to discipline and reprimand any of the players on the team — that’s your job. Leaders take care of that,” Samuel said Reid told him. Samuel said he "was so confused,” but he realized then that McNabb, the No. 2 overall pick in 1999, was coddled from the start.“They raised him that way,” Samuel said. It all came to a head in the worst way during the 2009 NFC Championship game, Samuel said. That’s when McNabb missed a wide-open Desean Jackson multiple times against the Arizona Cardinals, a 32-25 loss. "The ball fell short, right into the dirt on like three plays that were a touchdown,” Samuel said.

Under Reid and McNabb, the Eagles reached the playoffs eight times, including losing in Super Bowl XXXIX to Samuel’s former team, the New England Patriots.
While McNabb ranks No. 1 in Eagles franchise history in passing yards (32,873) and touchdowns (216), it was the culture Reid, whom Samuel respects as an all-time great coach, established with him that kept them short of the ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl.
"I wanted to help the change, but it was already set in stone who he was. I couldn’t challenge him the way I wanted to challenge him and try to make him that better person because it was already who he was. And that’s my Andy Ried story on why he wasn’t able to win Super Bowls at the Eagles because it was there.”
Reid will look to win his third Super Bowl with the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You gotta love a topic title that only makes sense the day it is posted. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Please explain the scenario a man would send Valentine's Day gifts to another man he hasn't been around for 15 years.

In Philadelphia, the Eagles’ offense would run a simple play with no defense, and McNabb, who played for the Eagles from 1999-2009, would often throw the ball into the dirt.

Ah, the good ole worm-burners...

Worm Burn (@Worm_Burn) / X

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/14/2024 at 5:56 PM, eglz1 said:

Want to know why Andy Reid never won a Super Bowl during his 14 seasons coaching the Philadelphia Eagles?

The reason AR never won a SB with the Eagles is because he decided to remove Wussbrook form his 3rd down back role and make him the feature back......BIG MISTAKE!!

Flashy open field runners ain't gonna win any SBs for you in the feature back role, more often than not you'll be playing a tough defense in the SB and flashy open field runner don't fare well against good defenses.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/17/2024 at 4:56 PM, EagleVA said:

The reason AR never won a SB with the Eagles is because he decided to remove Wussbrook form his 3rd down back role and make him the feature back......BIG MISTAKE!!

Flashy open field runners ain't gonna win any SBs for you in the feature back role, more often than not you'll be playing a tough defense in the SB and flashy open field runner don't fare well against good defenses.

Westbrook also had a knack for being unavailable for playoff runs. I still remember Reid foolishly playing him when we had already clinched a spot and were blowing out the R-Skins, only for him to get injured in that meaningless game.  We also never won a SB with him because we had trash WR's during 95% of his, and Reid's time here.

McTurd is a drunk. TO was right about him

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MF POON said:

Westbrook also had a knack for being unavailable for playoff runs. 

Right.

There's no question about it the wuss was a hellava openfield runner, he just didn't have any physicality to his game and you need to be physical during the playoffs which was a no-can-do for him.

22 hours ago, MF POON said:

Westbrook also had a knack for being unavailable for playoff runs. I still remember Reid foolishly playing him when we had already clinched a spot and were blowing out the R-Skins, only for him to get injured in that meaningless game.  We also never won a SB with him because we had trash WR's during 95% of his, and Reid's time here.

Westbrook only missed 1 playoff run in 2003. He was there in 04, 06, and 08. That Redskins game was also needed to clinch the 1 seed. It wasn’t meaningless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Westbrook only missed 1 playoff run in 2003. He was there in 04, 06, and 08. That Redskins game was also needed to clinch the 1 seed. It wasn’t meaningless. 

He was available for 6 playoff runs, and missed 1. But don't let facts get in the way of a narrative. He had a knack for it.  A knack!

Westbrook.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The reason Reid didn't win in Philly is because we had McNabb and not Mahomes. Getting a Mahomes/Brady makes a heck of a difference. Reid was always a great coach, but we definitely lacked at the QB position during the McNabb era.

• Like 1

The truth and reality about Mcnabb have leaked out over the years.  He won a ton of games, went to a ton of pro bowls, put up some numbers…but he was surrounded by incredible coaching and talent.  People dwell on the 3 years of bad WR play out of an entire career.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 7:50 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

I meant to say meaningless point in the game. I remember that game being a blowout and thinking the starters should've been pulled.

But you and others are right, my memory is off about his availability during those runs, as I may have conflated him and Buckhalter, or just misremembered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MF POON said:

I meant to say meaningless point in the game. I remember that game being a blowout and thinking the starters should've been pulled.

But you and others are right, my memory is off about his availability during those runs, as I may have conflated him and Buckhalter, or just misremembered.

Buck had his issues for sure, but it’s also possible you conflated Westbrook’s playoff availability with his regular seasons. Though he only missed the one playoff run, he did tend to miss at least one regular season game every year. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 8:59 PM, MF POON said:

I seem to remember Buckhalter getting promoted and not being as effective. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2024 at 7:16 PM, Devaster said:

The reason Reid didn't win in Philly is because we had McNabb and not Mahomes. Getting a Mahomes/Brady makes a heck of a difference. Reid was always a great coach, but we definitely lacked at the QB position during the McNabb era.

I still wonder how Reid's tenure would have played out if the Eagles had drafted Russel Wilson in the second round like he wanted, instead of waiting to the third for "value."

21 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I still wonder how Reid's tenure would have played out if the Eagles had drafted Russel Wilson in the second round like he wanted, instead of waiting to the third for "value."

Impossible for me to say. How would Wilson's years in Seattle have played out without the Legion of Boom? Eagles had a very good D during McNabb's first few years. Would Wilson and the early 2000s Eagles D have been as good as Wilson and the Legion of Boom?

On 2/14/2024 at 5:56 PM, eglz1 said:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2024/02/legendary-eagles-qb-was-babied-ex-teammate-says-never-held-accountable-so-we-didnt-win-ring.html

Asante is saying what many suspected. Nick Sirianni might take heed of what Asante says about practices.

Legendary Eagles QB was babied, ex-teammate says | Not held ‘accountable,’ so we didn’t win ring

Reid-McNabb

Andy Reid coached Donovan McNabb for 11 seasons.Associated Press

Former star cornerback Asante Samuel has a theory because he witnessed it first-hand. It all relates to how Reid treated quarterback Donovan McNabb. More precisely, it’s the fact Reid let McNabb do what he wanted and didn’t hold him to a high enough standard. Samuel would know about execution as a guy who won two Super Bowls under Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

"Andy Reid would have won more Super Bowls if we were able to apply more discipline to Donovan McNabb — if we were able to hold him accountable more and not treat him like a baby,” Samuel said on "Said What Needs to Be Said” podcast Monday.

Samuel explained that the bad habits started in practice, a place where Brady and Belichick demanded perfection because of how it translated to games. Mistakes could mean practices started anew, Samuel said.

In Philadelphia, the Eagles’ offense would run a simple play with no defense, and McNabb, who played for the Eagles from 1999-2009, would often throw the ball into the dirt. Instead of frustration or a lashing from Reid or the coaching staff, however, nothing happened.

"How are we not going execute a ball from the quarterback to the receiver without anybody out there, let alone when someone goes out there?” asked Samuel, who was with the Eagles from 2008-11. "These things would go on a lot in practice and no one was saying anything. It bothered me.”

After seeing this too many times and "life (going) on like nothing ever happened,” Samuel went to Reid to express his dissatisfaction. The cornerback, who made three Pro Bowl teams with the Eagles, was stunned to hear Reid’s response.

“‘Asante, it’s your job to discipline and reprimand any of the players on the team — that’s your job. Leaders take care of that,” Samuel said Reid told him. Samuel said he "was so confused,” but he realized then that McNabb, the No. 2 overall pick in 1999, was coddled from the start.“They raised him that way,” Samuel said. It all came to a head in the worst way during the 2009 NFC Championship game, Samuel said. That’s when McNabb missed a wide-open Desean Jackson multiple times against the Arizona Cardinals, a 32-25 loss. "The ball fell short, right into the dirt on like three plays that were a touchdown,” Samuel said.

Under Reid and McNabb, the Eagles reached the playoffs eight times, including losing in Super Bowl XXXIX to Samuel’s former team, the New England Patriots.
While McNabb ranks No. 1 in Eagles franchise history in passing yards (32,873) and touchdowns (216), it was the culture Reid, whom Samuel respects as an all-time great coach, established with him that kept them short of the ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl.
"I wanted to help the change, but it was already set in stone who he was. I couldn’t challenge him the way I wanted to challenge him and try to make him that better person because it was already who he was. And that’s my Andy Ried story on why he wasn’t able to win Super Bowls at the Eagles because it was there.”
Reid will look to win his third Super Bowl with the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers.

So I guess Reid baby's Mahomes.... Asante is an idiot.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:17 PM, Philthy Jawn said:

Probably wouldn't of played just like foles didn't till the season was lost. 

On 2/29/2024 at 5:52 PM, Talonblood said:

So I guess Reid baby's Mahomes.... Asante is an idiot.

Two possibilities

1) Reid learned his lesson in Philly not to do that.

2) Mahomes isn't McNabb. Maybe Mahomes ego isn't as fragile or something.

• Like 1

This is the worst thread title I've ever seen.  @Bwestbrook36, don't post in here again sir.  

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, hputenis said:

This is the worst thread title I've ever seen.  @Bwestbrook36, don't post in here again sir.  

I didn't even remember posting in here until now lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

You got him to change it :roll:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

He changed it, but we'll never forget! 💘

On 2/14/2024 at 5:25 PM, NOTW said:

You gotta love a topic title that only makes sense the day it is posted. :thumbsup:

On 2/14/2024 at 5:47 PM, Saltpeter said:

Please explain the scenario a man would send Valentine's Day gifts to another man he hasn't been around for 15 years.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

He changed it, but we'll never forget! 💘

YARN | Wow, that was fast. | Seinfeld (1989) - S04E11 The Contest | Video  gifs by quotes | 468ff4af | 紗

• Haha 1