Surprise: 2024 salary cap $255.4 million

Hawkeye

The league announced it today. Significantly higher than most projections.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-salary-cap-set-at-255-4m-per-team-for-2024-regular-season

The Eagles currently have about $34 million in cap space, a number that will grow significantly as the front office gets to work on the roster. I just eyeballed the roster and there's easily another $30 million or so in restructures, extensions and cuts. So, despite some big numbers, the cap won't be a significant hurdle as the Eagles try to get better.

• Like 1

Now every NFL team will be millions richer, and players in free agency. Teams with 100 million in Space can afford to pay players more than the Philadelphia Eagles, or the Dallas Cowboys. Players looking for money will be going there, and taking that money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Howie can do some damage with 50 mil

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Go buy the 2 best CBs money can buy.

Prepared to be disappointed when Fangio pitches Howie to bring over a washed up Xavien Howard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Howie talking to @paco

IMG_1536.jpeg

1) Tell me you don’t get my position without saying you don’t get my position.
2) Not sure how the cap rising for everyone is vindication for having a massive amount of rolling dead cap. Outside of 2022, the team has been mediocre with that anchor weighing them down. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, paco said:

2) Not sure how the cap rising for everyone is vindication for having a massive amount of rolling dead cap. Outside of 2022, the team has been mediocre with that anchor weighing them down. 🤷‍♂️

Super Bowl run two seasons ago says not so much

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, paco said:

I think as long as the cap continually goes up, you can play Howie's game. It's just a mortgage. The only point it was really an issue was when the cap went down after covid. Nobody could have predicted something like that would happen. I believe this year really evens that out.

Now, things that are likely to happen from the huge jump:

• More teams will be able to keep some of their own potential big name FAs. 
  • The available FA pool might be smaller as a result
  • The bidding for FAs will drive the position costs up
  • All current contracts for star quality players will seem like a bargain once the new bar is raised
  • All current dead cap will be less significant

So it would be wise to extend some "keepers" like Dickerson and Smith early rather than go after big name FAs this year. Everybody that got their franchise QB locked up last year is fortunate. Sure, every team benefits, but those that go crazy at the beginning of free agency are likely to vastly overpay now. Howie should continue to play the patient game, look for potential FA bargains then if they work out, try to extend them.

Per the NFL, on top of the record salary cap, there will be an additional $74 million per club payment for player benefits, which includes performance-based pay and benefits for retired players. Total 2024 player costs will be $329.4 million per team

This is also interesting. Honestly, I'm hoping performance based pay is the future. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, paco said:

45 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Super Bowl run two seasons ago says not so much

1) Literally called out 2022 as the outlier. :facepalm:

2) Let’s see him repeat that success with Jalen’s contract AND his ever growing dead cap. 

• Like 1

I mean this is great news to give us more cap space but as has been pointed out this also likely means players will want and get larger contracts. And teams with more cap space will be able to price us out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paco said:

1) Literally called out 2022 as the outlier. :facepalm:

2) Let’s see him repeat that success with Jalen’s contract AND his ever growing dead cap. 

You’ve been complaining before 2017. The dead cap only hurt us when the salary cap was reduced because of Covid. 

What I'd like to see:

Bradberry, Byard and Maddox shown the door.

Smith, Dickerson, Reddick extensions

Sweat traded

At least one LB, Safety and corner brought in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

You’ve been complaining before 2017. The dead cap only hurt us when the salary cap was reduced because of Covid. 

Umm, no.  This wasn’t an issue prior to 2017.  

However, my first critical post about it was in 2020 when I saw the dead cap number exploding down the road. (It did)

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean this is great news to give us more cap space but as has been pointed out this also likely means players will want and get larger contracts. And teams with more cap space will be able to price us out.

The counter to that is you can structure contracts in such a way that the cap hit is minimal in the earlier years and when the years of the larger cap hits arrive the salary cap will be that much higher so it becomes easier to handle those.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

We literally had 5 defensive starters leave straight after our SB run and had to replace them with guys off the street, and the roster last year was too top heavy but lacked depth. Not having huge dead cap hits would have allowed us to addressed some of that.

But to make the counter point and I have said this before, we only bounced back so quickly after 2020 because of Howie structuring contracts like this. The alternative would have been to have to bottom this roster out in 2021 and take medicine re flushing clear the huge dead caps that had been created. 

• Like 3

I’m tired of Howie kicking the can down the road. We have so much dead cap space every year now. Let’s sign our own guys, draft well and manage the cap well. No more kicking the can down the road.

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I’m tired of Howie kicking the can down the road. We have so much dead cap space every year now. Let’s sign our own guys, draft well and manage the cap well. No more kicking the can down the road.

Imagine if we got all caught up and went into a year with no more dead cap. Just think of the team Howie could put together by signing every FA we want to contracts full of void years when we kick the can down the road with everybody at once!!!11!

23 hours ago, Swoop said:

What I'd like to see:

Sweat traded

That would be a pretty solid offseason plan.  I just don't know that we absolutely need to bring in another corner (at not via free agency) ... we would still have Slay for another year or likely 2 and then have Rodgers waiting in the wings after having served his suspension and a stable of young CBs that have shown worthy of continued development.  One of those could very well turn into a solid starter with another year or 2 of development.  I think the better plan would be to add another via the draft that would be under control for the next 4 years on a cheaper (relatively speaking) rookie contract.

On 2/24/2024 at 8:01 AM, Swoop said:

What I'd like to see:

Sweat traded

Agreed on all except Sweat traded.  I think we have too many holes elsewhere and although he sucked last year I think we need to keep him for 1 more year.  

• Like 1

Everything is a balance.

The supports describe it as basically purchasing players with financing.  

The detractors call it kicking the can down the road.

And in reality, financing is fine if you use it right and dangerous if you don’t.

What intrigues me…and what no one really mentions…the worst teams in the NFL usually have the most cap space in the NFL, considering they have no talent to pay.

When you know you are changing QBs, that’s when I want no cap room.  That’s when I want to be paying dead years from guys that went to pro bowls and helped us win 2 years ago.  Find a way to kick it down the road and pay the bill in a few years when we have nothing to spend it on anyway.

And then restart.

The problem, obviously, is you can’t really pinpoint exactly what year you want that to happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Everything is a balance.

The supports describe it as basically purchasing players with financing.  

The detractors call it kicking the can down the road.

And in reality, financing is fine if you use it right and dangerous if you don’t.

What intrigues me…and what no one really mentions…the worst teams in the NFL usually have the most cap space in the NFL, considering they have no talent to pay.

When you know you are changing QBs, that’s when I want no cap room.  That’s when I want to be paying dead years from guys that went to pro bowls and helped us win 2 years ago.  Find a way to kick it down the road and pay the bill in a few years when we have nothing to spend it on anyway.

And then restart.

The problem, obviously, is you can’t really pinpoint exactly what year you want that to happen.

As long as the cap continually rises, the dead cap is more like a low interest loan. The more it rises, the lower the interest. As the cap rises, player salaries inflate. Those dead cap hits are based on pre-inflation market values.

In the end, the only thing that really matters is if the player performed to the amount of those void years. If he did, nobody should be upset. In the case of Wentz, he did not for us. If Bradberry's play doesn't rebound, his contract will be in the same boat. If it wasn't for the void years, you'd just see us overpaying players the same amount, but in a shorter time span. 

3 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

As long as the cap continually rises, the dead cap is more like a low interest loan. The more it rises, the lower the interest. As the cap rises, player salaries inflate. Those dead cap hits are based on pre-inflation market values.

In the end, the only thing that really matters is if the player performed to the amount of those void years. If he did, nobody should be upset. In the case of Wentz, he did not for us. If Bradberry's play doesn't rebound, his contract will be in the same boat. If it wasn't for the void years, you'd just see us overpaying players the same amount, but in a shorter time span. 

Does anyone know if there is flexibility in the void years?  Say we are heading into 2027 with a new 1st round QB, know we’ll suck, have few talented players to extend, and have some cap room.  Are void years stuck on the books for the original pre-determined years or can they be rolled forward?