Mid Combine Mock

Ray75

Another week, another mock with some fresh ideas…

Bring back;

Fletcher Cox

Retire;

Jason Kelce

Restructure/extended/new contract;

Milton Williams, Landon Dickerson, Devonta Smith, Avonte Maddox

Re-sign;

Sua Opeta, Jack Driscoll, Jack Stolll

Cuts;

James Bradberry, Kevin Byard

Trade alert!

Eagles trade Haason Reddick to the Houston Texans for a 2nd in 2024 and a 5th in 2025.

Eagles trade a 5th round pick in 2024 and a future 4th to the Denver Broncos for safety Justin Simmons

FA;

CJ Gardner-Johnson, S, Detroit Lions;

Josey Jewell, LB, Denver Broncos;

Alexander Mattison, RB, Minnesota Vikings;

Noah Brown, WR, Houston Texans

Draft:

1 Chop Robinson, Edge, Penn State;

2 Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan;

2 Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 

2 Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas;

3 Theo Johnson, TE, Penn State;

5 Garrett Greenfield, OT, South Dakota State;

5 Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky;.

5 Keith Randolph Jr., DT/DE, Illinois

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rumor Eagles are interested in trading for Justin Simmons (Vic Fangio connection) and Tony Pauline said there’s a real chance Eagles are bringing back CJGJ. 

https://x.com/nfldraftbites/status/1763756829199258021?s=48

https://nfltraderumors.co/report-real-chance-eagles-bring-back-db-c-j-gardner-johnson/

Really like this! That’s a lot of pieces for defense and some nice new toys for the offense.

What do you do opposite Slay though? Do you hope Melton is ready week one? 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Really like this! That’s a lot of pieces for defense and some nice new toys for the offense.

What do you do opposite Slay though? Do you hope Melton is ready week one? 

A lot of young promising corners on the roster.

Kelee Ringo, Eli Ricks, Max Melton, Mekhi Gardner, Mario Goodrich and Taiwan Mullen have to figure that one out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Kelee Ringo, Eli Ricks, Max Melton, Mekhi Gardner, Mario Goodrich and Taiwan Mullen have to figure that one out.

Don't forget Isiah Rodgers..

I really don't want CGJ back I'm hoping to maybe go with Curl if we don't go after Mckinney.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

I really don't want CGJ back I'm hoping to maybe go with Curl if we don't go after Mckinney.

Agreed but mock is based on these rumors…CJ will probably be more reasonable and humble this time around…

Would love Curl, McKinney or Fuller in FA. 

• Like 2

yes I get it and none of know what Howie's thinking. It's also trying to figure what players Vic and Kellen might believe could help best 

in their system. I don't think there's a humble bone in CGJ's body. lol 

• Haha 1

We have to have a cap discussion. I've used overthecap.com for the data.

As of today and after the Byard move we have $41M.

If Kelce retires it'll cost $14.9M I'm not sure of the rules but OTC shows a post June 1 cut as adding $1.5M to the cap (is it the same for a post June 1 retirement?) Let's assume Jason and the Eagles agree that Jason is going to retire and on the side they'll cut him after June 1 to help the team. 

Resigning Cox will cost $10 million - that's $31M left

Can't restructure Dickerson - he's in the last year of his deal. Maybe extending him now reduces his approx. $5M hit this year - say we save $2M, now we have $33M

Same applies to Davonte Smith - last year of his deal. He's only on the books for $4M this year. Not much there even with an extention. 

Ditto Milton Williams - only $3M on the cap so not much to save.

Maddox - I'd rather cut him post June 1 saving $7M, but restructuring as you suggest can likely save about $4M. New available money $37M.

Bradberry - even cutting him post June 1 - cost us money. His cap hit if on the team would be $3.2M but his dead money wqould be $6.1 - that's another $2.9M out of the wallet. not it's $34M

You didn't mention BG - figure $5M - giving Howie $29M to spend. 

Opeta and Driscoll will likely attract attention on the market given Seumalo's success - $5M each? Down to $19M

Elliott - 2nd beswt kicker in the league $4M - $15M left

Lovato - $2M - now it's $13M

I think you did a good job of selecting 2nd tier free agents, but I don't think $13M will do the trick.  

By the way - I'm all in on your draft. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

If Kelce retires it'll cost $14.9M I'm not sure of the rules but OTC shows a post June 1 cut as adding $1.5M to the cap (is it the same for a post June 1 retirement?) Let's assume Jason and the Eagles agree that Jason is going to retire and on the side they'll cut him after June 1 to help the team. 

Can't restructure Dickerson - he's in the last year of his deal. Maybe extending him now reduces his approx. $5M hit this year - say we save $2M, now we have $33M

Same applies to Davonte Smith - last year of his deal. He's only on the books for $4M this year. Not much there even with an extention. 

Maddox - I'd rather cut him post June 1 saving $7M, but restructuring as you suggest can likely save about $4M. New available money $37M.

Bradberry - even cutting him post June 1 - cost us money. His cap hit if on the team would be $3.2M but his dead money wqould be $6.1 - that's another $2.9M out of the wallet. not it's $34M

Opeta and Driscoll will likely attract attention on the market given Seumalo's success - $5M each? Down to $19M

I think you did a good job of selecting 2nd tier free agents, but I don't think $13M will do the trick.  

Our IOL won’t cost that much and I don’t see a role for BG in a Fangio scheme.

Dickerson is in the "restructure, re-sign, new deal” category.

Not worried about the cap. Howie always finds a way…

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

I think your numbers are off rob.. first opeta and Driscoll played last year for 1.3 and 1.1 million… they started a couple games but at best someone is gonna look for them to compete for a spot they aren’t getting over 3 max and I bet it’s closer to the 2-2.25 range if that.

Cox signed for 10 million last year but with contract structure there is 3 void years to spread the cap hit out which I would think howie will factor into any new deals 

• Like 1

Being a UNC alum and season ticket holder, I’ve watched a lot of Ced.  Absolutely love the kid, but he is going to struggle to make the jump to the NFL IMHO.  He will likely carve out a role for himself as a special teamer and a decent reserve LB in the NFL, but I have concerns about his lateral speed and his tendency to get caught up in the wash.  UNC rush defense was perennially one of the worst in division 1 every season of his tenure, and a lot of that can be attributed to poor coaching, but Ced was also a contributing factor as he was just not fast enough laterally and would resort to grab and drag tackling as well as playing with a high pad level a lot.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do love the Melton pick, but I think he has done himself a favor in the combine…he probably won’t make it past the 2nd round.  

• Like 1

Interesting! Truth to be told, I think there won't be a LB pick (unless he is an EDGE pass rusher) before day 3, but hey.

CBS got Roman Wilson at 110 and I feel like the second is a reach.. dude looks like a TE to me too. But he does have good hands, I like the way he catches.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob331 said:

Sigh. We got Mr. Roseman. Cap discussion finished.

Seriously, stop acting like there is a number set in stone that we have to stay under. That's fiction. If we get close, we will just start restructuring guys and kicking the can down the road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

I want him back. Our defense was much better with him in it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Infam said:

Interesting! Truth to be told, I think there won't be a LB pick (unless he is an EDGE pass rusher) before day 3, but hey.

CBS got Roman Wilson at 110 and I feel like the second is a reach.. dude looks like a TE to me too. But he does have good hands, I like the way he catches.

I never use CBS and hardly ever use Walterfootball. Agree to disagree but there are better sources out there…

Think Wilson is a 2nd round prospect after having an outstanding Senior Bowl. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I mean that’s a lot of bodies but I’m not sure how much NFL starting talent there is. Sure that’s something the team needs to figure out but it’s a concern no doubt.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Infam said:

Btw…Roman Wilson is 5.11 ft and 185 lbs and was one of the standouts at the Senior Bowl.

The kid looks nothing like a TE. Are we looking at the same player?!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VeeMak said:

Being a UNC alum and season ticket holder, I’ve watched a lot of Ced.  Absolutely love the kid, but he is going to struggle to make the jump to the NFL IMHO.  He will likely carve out a role for himself as a special teamer and a decent reserve LB in the NFL, but I have concerns about his lateral speed and his tendency to get caught up in the wash.  UNC rush defense was perennially one of the worst in division 1 every season of his tenure, and a lot of that can be attributed to poor coaching, but Ced was also a contributing factor as he was just not fast enough laterally and would resort to grab and drag tackling as well as playing with a high pad level a lot.  

Thanks for the inside information!

Swapped him for Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:59 PM, Ray75 said:

Another week, another mock with some fresh ideas…

Bring back;

Fletcher Cox

Retire;

Jason Kelce

Restructure/extended/new contract;

Milton Williams, Landon Dickerson, Devonta Smith, Avonte Maddox

Re-sign;

Sua Opeta, Jack Driscoll, Jack Stolll

Cuts;

James Bradberry, Kevin Byard

Trade alert!

Eagles trade Haason Reddick to the Houston Texans for a 2nd in 2024 and a 5th in 2025.

Eagles trade a 5th round pick in 2024 and a future 4th to the Denver Broncos for safety Justin Simmons

FA;

CJ Gardner-Johnson, S, Detroit Lions;

Josey Jewell, LB, Denver Broncos;

Alexander Mattison, RB, Minnesota Vikings;

Noah Brown, WR, Houston Texans

Draft:

1 Chop Robinson, Edge, Penn State;

2 Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan;

2 Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 

2 Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas;

3 Theo Johnson, TE, Penn State;

5 Garrett Greenfield, OT, South Dakota State;

5 Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky;.

5 Keith Randolph Jr., DT/DE, Illinois

Don’t like the idea of trading for a pricey Safety (Simmons) who just turned 30 and has Pat Surtain to alleviate some of his pressure.

Definitely don’t think that’s enough value for an elite pass rusher in Reddick, either. I’d rather keep him and make it work with his contract. He wants to be here and has 2+ years of high level playing left in him. Vic needs him.

Want nothing to do with Mattison. Guy is a bum.

Not liking that draft one bit. No way we should be burning a 2nd round on a WR with talent on OL, DE, and S expected to be available there. Also, a TE in the 3rd?? I get you want to groom Dallas’ replacement if we can’t afford him, but that’s wasted draft capital in a win-now season.

5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Thanks for the inside information!

Swapped him for Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas.

That’s who I’ve got in another mock.  Love that pick 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Not worried about the cap. Howie always finds a way…

From your lips to God's ear - but I'm a worrier

1 minute ago, Rob331 said:

From your lips to God's ear - but I'm a worrier

I know my friend but there’s no need for that. It’s just football, should be just fun… 👊🏻

22 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

I think your numbers are off rob.. first opeta and Driscoll played last year for 1.3 and 1.1 million… they started a couple games but at best someone is gonna look for them to compete for a spot they aren’t getting over 3 max and I bet it’s closer to the 2-2.25 range if that.

Cox signed for 10 million last year but with contract structure there is 3 void years to spread the cap hit out which I would think howie will factor into any new deals 

Got ot. Let's assume you're right about Driscoll and Opeta and figure $3M each - that's $4M more than my original estimate. Maybe that gets it done with Ray75's free agent list  - I hope so. 

IMHO Fletcher Cox won't play for less that $10M. He's already on the books for $5.7 even if he doesn't play. I don't see us getting away for less unless we stretch the voidables into the 2030's