Eagles sign RB Saquon Barkley

Procus

2 hours ago, Infam said:

Looking in my crystal ball:

When the contract details become known it will look a lot better for us. Always does with Roseman contracts. Chill..

We know the details. $26 million guaranteed when he signs Wednesday. One of the largest RB contracts in NFL history.  

Any way you slice it Howie is all in on this deal.

3 hours ago, Gannan said:

Love the signing but hopefully the offense gets more innovative. The Giants did a very good job at lining him up in different positions to get him into open space. He lines up at WR quite a bit. Would love to see us do something similar. 

God, we haven't really had that since Westbrook.

• Like 3

Great signing. Only issue i have is the injury history. If he stays healthy he'll be one the top 5 weapons in football

• Like 1

Can't wait until he gets 2 touches in a half and we all go crazy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

So does this mean they will run the ball on occasion?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Love the player, don't like the move, too much money involved.

2 hours ago, psychodog said:

Whaaaaa?  Respectfully, I watched every PS game when Barkley was there and this simply is not correct.  In the Rose Bowl against USC, alone, he ran for 200 and had 50 receiving yards.  I'd say that was a pretty high profile game.

The big games I'm speaking of were againstnthe Buckeyes and Wolverines, I mean, the PAC-12, are you kidding me, no defense is played in the PAC-12.

Here's the thing, I don't watch a lot of college football, but I recall tuning in to a few PS games just to see what's up with the Barkley guy and I wasn't impressed.

Truth be told, dude may be the man, as one poster pointed out, Penn State has played well in big games recently and the Giants didn't have much of an offense, the only game Barkley played in that impressed me was against.....that's right, the Eagles.  

Question for everyone who thinks this is too much money:

Who do you expect to make a bigger impact with their team this year Saquon Barkley on the Eagles or Gabe Davis on the Jaguars?

They got roughly the same money.

I think Barkley will change game plans for defenses playing the Eagles this year, and that will open up plays downfield for the rest of our playmakers. I like Gabe Davis, he’s known for being a great team player that does the dirty work even when he doesn’t have the football in his hands. But he might be the #3 WR on his own team even if the Jags don’t bring Ridley back.

I get the RBs market is way down, but $13m per year isn’t breaking the bank anymore.

If we use him right, Barkley will be a huge addition for the team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RunItBAck said:

He tore his ACL in 2020 and missed the whole season and struggled the season after. Those numbers are skewed

3 hours ago, JohnB said:

I know he's a different style of back, but I would have preferred to keep Swift

Swift is nowhere near the Barkley level and while he had some good games, he isn't worth what he is getting paid either

4 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

Question for everyone who thinks this is too much money:

Who do you expect to make a bigger impact with their team this year Saquon Barkley on the Eagles or Gabe Davis on the Jaguars?

They got roughly the same money.

I think Barkley will change game plans for defenses playing the Eagles this year, and that will open up plays downfield for the rest of our playmakers. I like Gabe Davis, he’s known for being a great team player that does the dirty work even when he doesn’t have the football in his hands. But he might be the #3 WR on his own team even if the Jags don’t bring Ridley back.

I get the RBs market is way down, but $13m per year isn’t breaking the bank anymore.

If we use him right, Barkley will be a huge addition for the team.

I think the idea is that you can get great production from the running back position for peanuts. Aaron Jones was just cut by the Packers for them to sign Jacobs. How much will Jones get on the open market and he is a better back than Swift? Zack Moss was fantastic for the Colts last year when Taylor was out and I'd expect he won't get the big money contract that Barkley ended up with. Teams will also look to offload guys on rookie deals they don't want to pay next year that are still good backs. So it's not how much Davis is making but comparatively how much guys at the same position are making. 

In terms of talent Barkley is an amazing fit for this team and carried that crappy Giants offense the last 3 years. He is an explosive runner, can catch the ball and won't go down on first contact. With the Eagles needing to overhaul the defense with the 3-4 scheme, the money probably needed to be used at other positions of need.

The Giants are looking like an absolute basket case offensively, they don't have a single player that I'd start on just about any other team at the skills position. They need to hit with a couple of receivers but are still stuck with Jones at QB. What a crap show

• Like 1

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mat said:

Zack Moss was fantastic for the Colts last year when Taylor was out and I'd expect he won't get the big money contract that Barkley ended up with. Teams will also look to offload guys on rookie deals they don't want to pay next year that are still good backs. So it's not how much Davis is making but comparatively how much guys at the same position are making. 

Quoting myself here, but looks like Moss signed for 2 years and 8 million with the Bengals

i was iffy about howie spending that kinda dough on a RB but what do i know? It's not my money. When has howie spent on a rb?!

We got big backz!! Something we havent had since Blount. I love the move.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

God, we haven't really had that since Westbrook.

Wasnt shady (for one season) used everywhere? I remember him catching it a ton one year and that was the last season of him doing so. 

Memory is hazy, its been so long.

2 hours ago, ManuelTheAnswer said:

Love the player, don't like the move, too much money involved.

Trust in Howard

jea7b6s85rnc1.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

i was iffy about howie spending that kinda dough on a RB but what do i know? It's not my money. When has howie spent on a rb?!

We got big backz!! Something we havent had since Blount. I love the move.

Barkley is big but, running with power and running people over isn't really his game. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

Barkley is big but, running with power and running people over isn't really his game. 

He squats close to 600lbs though 🥺

4 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

Wasnt shady (for one season) used everywhere? I remember him catching it a ton one year and that was the last season of him doing so. 

Memory is hazy, its been so long.

As I recall, he mostly lined up in the slot and would catch a lot of passes out of the backfield but wasn't truly used as a wideout like Westy was.

1 hour ago, Mat said:

He tore his ACL in 2020 and missed the whole season and struggled the season after. Those numbers are skewed

Swift is nowhere near the Barkley level and while he had some good games, he isn't worth what he is getting paid either

I think the idea is that you can get great production from the running back position for peanuts. Aaron Jones was just cut by the Packers for them to sign Jacobs. How much will Jones get on the open market and he is a better back than Swift? Zack Moss was fantastic for the Colts last year when Taylor was out and I'd expect he won't get the big money contract that Barkley ended up with. Teams will also look to offload guys on rookie deals they don't want to pay next year that are still good backs. So it's not how much Davis is making but comparatively how much guys at the same position are making. 

In terms of talent Barkley is an amazing fit for this team and carried that crappy Giants offense the last 3 years. He is an explosive runner, can catch the ball and won't go down on first contact. With the Eagles needing to overhaul the defense with the 3-4 scheme, the money probably needed to be used at other positions of need.

The Giants are looking like an absolute basket case offensively, they don't have a single player that I'd start on just about any other team at the skills position. They need to hit with a couple of receivers but are still stuck with Jones at QB. What a crap show

Jones is over 30, he might get the same money as swift but only for a year. Neither are as talented as Barkley, both would have been hot garbage in a giants uniform the last 4-5 years. Zach Moss was hot garbage in Buffalo, we’ll see if he can do it again somewhere else, my guess is he can’t.
I realize the rb position as a whole has been suppressed salary wise. IMO, a big reason for that is there aren’t many RBs that are head and shoulders more talented than 100 other NFL level RBs. Barkley is one of them, so we had to pay for him. I’m sure Howie would have rather gotten him for $8mil a year, but then he’d be in Houston or Green Bay. Maybe Howie, nick and stout are tired of the revolving door of JAGs at the position. Maybe they’re seeing too much meat left on the bone.

If you watched Saquan at PSU, he ripped a play off the left side of the line in the first half, nearly every game and went the distance. He couldn’t do that with the Giants. It will be interesting to see if he returns to form with two pro bowlers on the left side, or if he just continues to have injury issues. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

Jones is over 30,

He doesn't turn 30 till December 

• Like 1

Eagles making up for missing out on Christian McCaffrey all those years ago..

• Like 1

Welcome home SB! Let the good times roll. 

Hope everyone held onto their Sanders Jerseys..just need new nameplates.. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

Jones is over 30, he might get the same money as swift but only for a year. Neither are as talented as Barkley, both would have been hot garbage in a giants uniform the last 4-5 years. Zach Moss was hot garbage in Buffalo, we’ll see if he can do it again somewhere else, my guess is he can’t.
I realize the rb position as a whole has been suppressed salary wise. IMO, a big reason for that is there aren’t many RBs that are head and shoulders more talented than 100 other NFL level RBs. Barkley is one of them, so we had to pay for him. I’m sure Howie would have rather gotten him for $8mil a year, but then he’d be in Houston or Green Bay. Maybe Howie, nick and stout are tired of the revolving door of JAGs at the position. Maybe they’re seeing too much meat left on the bone.

Jones just had 118 yards and 3 TD's against the Cowboys and 108 yards and averaged 6 yards a carry against the 49ers. He is 30 in December, but it feels like he has constantly been banged up the last couple of years. Jones isn't as talented as Barkley but he is a better player than Swift and will probably come cheaper. 

Moss didn't fit the Bills scheme and it's not like they had a great run game anyway. Once he got to the Colts he played pretty well when given the opportunity. He is going to be an underrated signing for the Bengals. 

Again, it's not the question of if Barkley is more talented, because that isn't even up for debate. It would be if the cash can be used elsewhere, especially on the defensive side of the ball. It will be interesting to see how this team functions offensively with a new coordinator and a feature back that can carry the load and be a weapon.

I'm in the minority in that I didn't really want Swift to come back. I think there is a reason the the Lions were happy to move on from him and we saw some of that this year. There were way to many botched hand offs in the RPO and that isn't all on Hurts. A team was going to overpay him and that was the Bears. So you were in one of two spots, go and find the value like you have in previous years or go and get the game changing back in Barkley. Howie went with the second option. 

• Like 1