Mid FA Mock (03-18-2024)

Ray75

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

DeJean is definitely in play at #22. I think this is a really difficult draft to figure out though. Lots of QBs are going to go early which will push really good players down the board. If we fall in love with a player I can see Howie moving up to get them. I’m not sure though that this is a best draft in terms of top end quality.

At OL, CB and WR it is. At DL, LB, S and TE not so much.

Although…there’re no elite prospect at those positions, best OL and CB class in years IMO. Also really good at WR btw.

OK, Top 5 that realistically could be there AND Howie would take..

OT    Latham

OT     Mims

CB/S  Dejean

DT     Murphy..I think Newton will be gone..

CB  Wiggins 

I only think Howie takes Wiggins if he reaches there. I think if Dejean is gone and Latham / Mims are gone he moves back a couple and 

probably takes a Guyton  or Chop then... I believe Fangio likes a bigger DE  and not many in this Draft that grade out that high, I could almost see 

Howie if trading back to 27-32 taking S Nubin ...might as well get the best at one of your positions of need and I he won't be there much into the 2nd.

I really wouldn't like the DT picks because that would be overkill for us at that position.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

OK, Top 5 that realistically could be there AND Howie would take..

OT    Latham

OT     Mims

CB/S  Dejean

DT     Murphy..I think Newton will be gone..

CB  Wiggins 

I only think Howie takes Wiggins if he reaches there. I think if Dejean is gone and Latham / Mims are gone he moves back a couple and 

probably takes a Guyton  or Chop then... I believe Fangio likes a bigger DE  and not many in this Draft that grade out that high, I could almost see 

Howie if trading back to 27-32 taking S Nubin ...might as well get the best at one of your positions of need and I he won't be there much into the 2nd.

I really wouldn't like the DT picks because that would be overkill for us at that position.

Agreed for the most part. The only things we are in disagreement over are Wiggins, Newton over Brown and a safety in the first but overall we’re on the same page.

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Agreed for the most part. The only things we are in disagreement over are Wiggins, Newton over Brown and a safety in the first but overall we’re on the same page.

Yeah, I just figured Newton goes before Brown but I think DT would be a wasted pick. I should be posting a draft tomorrow..we'll see lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

Yeah, I just figured Newton goes before Brown but I think DT would be a wasted pick. I should be posting a draft tomorrow..we'll see lol

I have a new one ready too. Waiting for Reddick trade… 😂

• Like 1

Top 5

Kool-aid McKinstry-CB

Jackson Powers-Johnson G/C

Tyler Guyton- T 

Tyler Nubin - Safety

Jc Latham -T 

tops on my wish list Quinyon Mitchell which I think will be long gone if he is somehow on the board come pick 15 I look to trade up.. pretty much otherwise I would love to trade back. It’s gonna be an interesting draft to say the least. I feel the strength of the draft is like picks 35 -100 I see a bunch of players in that range I would love to have let’s make some moves and get some more picks howie! 

• Like 1

If all top 5 are gone, I would prefer to trade down into early 2nd round to select one of the following:

• AD Mitchell
  • Xavier Worthy
  • Keon Coleman
  • Darius Robinson
  • Graham Barton

The only problem there is....they might be the next 5 selections!  🤢

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

If all top 5 are gone, I would prefer to trade down into early 2nd round to select one of the following:

• AD Mitchell
  • Xavier Worthy
  • Keon Coleman
  • Darius Robinson
  • Graham Barton

The only problem there is....they might be the next 5 selections!  🤢

You think?!

If I had to guess only Barton, Mitchell and Worthy will go in the first. The latter will probably fall in Andy Reid’s lap.

6 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Top 5

Kool-aid McKinstry-CB

Jackson Powers-Johnson G/C

Tyler Guyton- T 

Tyler Nubin - Safety

Jc Latham -T 

tops on my wish list Quinyon Mitchell which I think will be long gone if he is somehow on the board come pick 15 I look to trade up.. pretty much otherwise I would love to trade back. It’s gonna be an interesting draft to say the least. I feel the strength of the draft is like picks 35 -100 I see a bunch of players in that range I would love to have let’s make some moves and get some more picks howie! 

What is it you like so much about Kool Aid?!

Would love to know cause for one reason or another I’m not completely there yet..

4 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

You think?!

If I had to guess only Barton, Mitchell and Worthy will go in the first. The latter will probably fall in Andy Reid’s lap.

FYI,

I was extending into early 2nd (trade down), and YES, AR just might delight in that 4.21 time. 🤩

I also cringe at the thought of Dallas drafting Barton. Maybe I'm 😍 over him, but I see the possible makings of another Jason Kelse.

9 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

FYI,

I was extending into early 2nd (trade down), and YES, AR just might delight in that 4.21 time. 🤩

I also cringe at the thought of Dallas drafting Barton. Maybe I'm 😍 over him, but I see the possible makings of another Jason Kelse.

My bad!

I think a swing tackle / LJ successor is a bigger need than an OG/OC. 

Why do I get the feeling Howie is setting up us to justify taking an edge rusher or offensive tackle in the first?!

For some reason the guy does about everything in his power to NOT draft a corner in the first. I’d be stunned if he takes a CB like DeJean, Wiggins or Mckinstry at #22. 

Yes, I'd give more weight to an OT if I could project the next LJ at #22, even a slight downgrade. After all, wasn't the 4th pick in the draft?

If Barton was evaluated as purely a day 2 pick, I wouldn't bring him up...he'd make a good utility backup and maybe a decent starter down the line. Howeve, I think he has the makeup to be a leader who could also brings versatility.

Sounds like uou're a little paranoid, with predudice.

1 hour ago, Crazy Legs said:

Yes, I'd give more weight to an OT if I could project the next LJ at #22, even a slight downgrade. After all, wasn't the 4th pick in the draft?

If Barton was evaluated as purely a day 2 pick, I wouldn't bring him up...he'd make a good utility backup and maybe a decent starter down the line. Howeve, I think he has the makeup to be a leader who could also brings versatility.

Sounds like uou're a little paranoid, with predudice.

Paranoid?! For what?! Howie avoiding corners in the first?! 😂

Yes, I am but I’m also realistic. In all those years, the value taking a CB in the first wasn’t really there and/or there were better prospects available at a more pressing position of need. 

This year the value might be there at #22 but this is such a good OL class that a quality tackle at #22 might be hard to pass up. Especially with Lane getting up there in age.

Paranoid regarding edge rusher...point being we guess wrong more often than not.

There are plussses for Barton. He has played LT for 3+ years, but is projected to OG due to below average arm length. He could probably win the starting assignment there in his rookie season and solidify it for the next 10 years. The added bonus is he has played every position and could possibly fill-in as needed. A tacle might be a luxury as he might sit on the bench for several seasons, wasting all that talent.

Speaking of paranoid, I would have nightmares thinking he could be the next Zack Martin for the Cowboys.

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

What is it you like so much about Kool Aid?!

Would love to know cause for one reason or another I’m not completely there yet..

Versatility in both press man and zone

good prospect from good school

23 pass break ups

allowed the fewest catches in 2023 (16) out of corners with 400 plus coverage snaps 

5 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

Paranoid regarding edge rusher...point being we guess wrong more often than not.

There are plussses for Barton. He has played LT for 3+ years, but is projected to OG due to below average arm length. He could probably win the starting assignment there in his rookie season and solidify it for the next 10 years. The added bonus is he has played every position and could possibly fill-in as needed. A tacle might be a luxury as he might sit on the bench for several seasons, wasting all that talent.

Speaking of paranoid, I would have nightmares thinking he could be the next Zack Martin for the Cowboys.

Ahhh okay…I get you…

That’s not being paranoid but managing expectations. Listen…if Reddick is gone, they simply don’t have enough at pass rush. Not only for this season but especially long term. Sweat is in the last year of his deal, Okwara, Lewis, Johnson, Baum unknowns. We don’t know what we have in Nolan Smith. Huff just signed but he has never been a fulltime starter in NY.

Hear me out. I believe that for some reason FO is slightly done with Sweat and Reddick and want to start over with fresh young talent. Maybe it’s something that happened at the end of the season when their production fell off a cliff, maybe it’s Fangio, probably a bit off both, possibly something else.

First Reddick got permission to seek a trade cause the Eagles didn’t want to give him the money he was seeking. Then they publicly let everyone know Sweat was available in a trade. Shortly after they restructured Sweat’s deal but didn’t extend him. First day of FA they signed Huff.

Call me paranoid but if Reddick is gone, the future is in the hands of two unknown commodities in Huff and Smith. Howie will never take that kind of a risk. Especially at Edge. I think he believes he’ll be in position to grab one of the best pass rushers in the class. Whether that’s Robinson, Verse or Latu. Convenient cause for the Eagles that’s what feels comfortable taking in the first.

I love Barton or Powers-Johnson for that matter but if they use a first on an offensive lineman, I believe it will be for an true OT. The LJ heir. Can’t take a guy cause you don’t want ‘m to be a Cowboy. 

4 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Versatility in both press man and zone

good prospect from good school

23 pass break ups

allowed the fewest catches in 2023 (16) out of corners with 400 plus coverage snaps 

And what about his weaknesses?!

Noticed that he’s not the first guy in there to stop the run, inconsistent in reading and reacting, short-area burst is better than his long speed, struggles against good route runners and physical receivers, recovery speed could be better.

I like him too but there are a couple of guys in that late first - early/mid second round range, I like about equally / only slightly less. Lassiter and Tampa to mind. Heck…I probably would take Melton over McKinstry late first / early second but that’s cause he’s more my type of corner.

My CB ranking: 1) Mitchell; 2) Arnold; 3) McKinstry; 4) Melton; 5) Wiggins (too skinny for my taste); 6) Tampa; 7) Lassiter; 8 Adams-Draine;  9) Sainristil; 10) Rakestraw.

43 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Ahhh okay…I get you…

That’s not being paranoid but managing expectations. Listen…if Reddick is gone, they simply don’t have enough at pass rush. Not only for this season but especially long term. Sweat is in the last year of his deal, Okwara, Lewis, Johnson, Baum unknowns. We don’t know what we have in Nolan Smith. Huff just signed but he’s never been a fulltime starter in NY.

Hear me out. I believe that for some reason FO is slightly done with Sweat and Reddick and want to start over with fresh young players. Maybe it’s something that happened at the end of the season when their production fell off a cliff, maybe it’s Fangio, probably a bit off both. First Reddick got permission to seek a trade cause the Eagles didn’t want to give him the money he was seeking. Then they publicly let everyone know Sweat was available in a trade. Shortly after they restructured Sweat but didn’t extend him. First day of FA they signed Huff.

Call me paranoid but if Reddick is gone, the future is in the hands of two unknown commodities in Huff and Smith. Howie will never take that kind of risk. Especially at Edge. I think he believes he’ll be in position to grab one of the best pass rushers in the class. Whether that’s Robinson, Verse or Latu. Convenient cause for the Eagles that’s what feels comfortable taking in the first.

I love Barton or Powers-Johnson for that matter but if they use a first in an offensive lineman, I believe it will be for an true OT. The LJ heir. Can’t take a guy cause you don’t want ‘m to be a Cowboy. 

The Eagles will ultimately decide what is in their own best long-term interests in making their first pick. 21 teams ahead of them will probably have acted in a similar fashion.

There is a shortage of premium edge rushers in this draft,  meaning their man/men might be gone when they are on the clock. Additionally, they not only need to compete with the rest of the league, but deal also with their own stable of players and salary cap implications. It's a complex balancing act and 12 months of planning boils down to 10 minutes to make a decision. Talk about stress.

Anyway, I think it would be foolish to paint yourself into a corner. Yes, they need to address edge position, along with the rest of the critical roster positions. You can't expect to solve all your problems over the course of 3 days.

There are still a lot of "balls up in the air" at present. Let's just play our silly little guessing games until the final product has arrived. Their ultimately will be alot of second-guesing, but hey, that's what Eagles fans are best at.

P.S. Do you listen-in to WIP sports-talk radio at all?

P.P.S. It appears as though Pro Football HOF sports writer Ray Didinger has retired to Sarasota, FL (miss him).

23 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

The Eagles will ultimately decide what is in their own best long-term interests in making their first pick. 21 teams ahead of them will probably have acted in a similar fashion.

There is a shortage of premium edge rushers in this draft,  meaning their man/men might be gone when they are on the clock. Additionally, they not only need to compete with the rest of the league, but deal also with their own stable of players and salary cap implications. It's a complex balancing act and 12 months of planning boils down to 10 minutes to make a decision. Talk about stress.

Anyway, I think it would be foolish to paint yourself into a corner. Yes, they need to address edge position, along with the rest of the critical roster positions. You can't expect to solve all your problems over the course of 3 days.

There are still a lot of "balls up in the air" at present. Let's just play our silly little guessing games until the final product has arrived. Their ultimately will be alot of second-guesing, but hey, that's what Eagles fans are best at.

P.S. Do you listen-in to WIP sports-talk radio at all?

P.P.S. It appears as though Pro Football HOF sports writer Ray Didinger has retired to Sarasota, FL (miss him).

I’ve been doing this for a long, long time but I see a pattern that’s all. Their mantra has always been " build through the trenches”. If they don’t have a major hole at WR or QB, it has always been O- and D-line and for good reason.

Listen to a lot of podcasts. Didn’t know Didinger was retiring. Will miss his grounded and no nonsense approach. 

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I’ve been doing this for a long, long time but I see a pattern that’s all. Their mantra has always been " build through the trenches”. If they don’t have a major hole at WR or QB, it has always been O- and D-line and for good reason.

Listen to a lot of podcasts. Didn’t know Didinger was retiring. Will miss his grounded and no nonsense approach. 

I attribute the pattern to commencing with Andy Reid, although he necessarilly started with Donovan McNabb.

Ray Diddy retired last year. He reluctantly announced it beforehand and received copious amounts of on-air praise. He is a true treasure.

17 hours ago, Ray75 said:

And what about his weaknesses?!

Noticed that he’s not the first guy in there to stop the run, inconsistent in reading and reacting, short-area burst is better than his long speed, struggles against good route runners and physical receivers, recovery speed could be better.

I like him too but there are a couple of guys in that late first - early/mid second round range, I like about equally / only slightly less. Lassiter and Tampa to mind. Heck…I probably would take Melton over McKinstry late first / early second but that’s cause he’s more my type of corner.

My CB ranking: 1) Mitchell; 2) Arnold; 3) McKinstry; 4) Melton; 5) Wiggins (too skinny for my taste); 6) Tampa; 7) Lassiter; 8 Adams-Draine;  9) Sainristil; 10) Rakestraw.

I’ve seen some reports his tackling isn’t the best but it isn’t like he can’t tackle at all. I’ve seen highlights of him blitzing and making some good tackles on bubble screens/swing routes.

a couple other positives he seems very open and willing to be a nickel/slot corner if that’s what he is asked to do, and he was the 2022 SEC punt returner of the year. 

• Like 1

Round 1 - McKinstry, DeJean

Round 2 - McConkey,  Cooper

Round 3 - if we get a pick - Shipley

• Like 1