Birds re-sign Avonte Maddox to one year deal per Adam Schefter

Procus

Well at least we are very familiar with how this guy always ends up injured. 

• Haha 1

I'm good with this. Plenty of cap space and he is a good player on the rare occasion he is healthy . Hopefully Rodgers beats him out in the slot then you have a starter quality backup for nickel and safety to play when needed. Everything I said depends on salary but it's not my money

• Like 3

Need to know the salary before I can react. 

26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well at least we are very familiar with how this guy always ends up injured. 

I'm glad we signed Tyler Hall earlier in free agency ... I think he could lock down that slot CB spot.  Good to have competition though ... just hope it IS a competition and Maddox isn't just handed the spot out of loyalty ... he needs to earn it.  And hoping Hall beats him out.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MagicMoment said:

Yes

I'm still on CJ Gardner locking down slot CB, ultimately. Maddox did play safety early in his career. Maybe he could be a 3rd safety or backup slot. Hall is depth.

Welcome back. 

• Like 1

Maddox was injured signing this contract. He’ll be out 4-6 weeks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I kind of thought this would happen. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MagicMoment said:

It had better be minimal considering already collected $7.7M after his initial release.

IMG_0681.jpeg

• Like 1

Going back to the ex because when you left her you couldn't find anyone better. That's what this feels like. 

• Like 1

I like it. He's versatile and can play in the slot or safety and would probably be an upgrade on the outside over some of the guys at the back end of our depth chart. I look forward to seeing him play around four games for us next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kz! said:

I like it.

Apparently you have no idea what a decent DB looks like, Maddox doesn't even reach that level, I would have though they would've been glad to get rid of his arse.

There's a serious problem with talent evaluation in Philadelphia.

Should be vet minimum since he can't be relied on to last the whole season. Hopefully this does not preclude us from getting more CB help.

• Like 1

Should have just let him go, he's always injured what's the point. Move on.

• Like 1

Good depth signing, I like him as a plug and play guy.  No business as a starter with his injury history. 

• Like 1

Pfffffff, depth signing, until he gets hurt while stretching out his hurt INSERT BODY PART HERE.

He will be back at his favorite place in no time..............IR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

May start about 5 games for the Eagles in 2024 before ending up on IR.

Nevertheless still a good signing imo.

Howie makes moves like this in April every year.

This isn’t about making fans happy.  This isn’t about Avonte Maddox.  It’s not even precisely about nickel cb.

This is about the draft.  

We don’t HAVE to draft a cb immediately now.  And if we do, that CB doesn’t HAVE to have slot flexibility.  It doesn’t mean we won’t.  We probably will.  But you can’t go into the draft with the restrictions of one fixed check box that is also broadcast to the rest of the league….that imminently needs to fill a hole for your 2024 team.

Maddox is unreliable and has no future, but he can be a good nickel cb.  And that impacts how freely Howie can draft.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This isn’t about making fans happy.  This isn’t about Avonte Maddox.  It’s not even precisely about nickel cb.

This is about the draft.  

We don’t HAVE to draft a cb immediately now.  And if we do, that CB doesn’t HAVE to have slot flexibility.  It doesn’t mean we won’t.  We probably will.  But you can’t go into the draft with the restrictions of one fixed check box that is also broadcast to the rest of the league….that imminently needs to fill a hole for your 2024 team.

Maddox is unreliable and has no future, but he can be a good nickel cb.  And that impacts how freely Howie can draft.

F that. Maddox should have zero impact on the draft. The draft isn't for this season, it's for getting the best talent to be the core of your roster for years. If they have a chance to get a really good corner, they should do it. Maddox will get injured again and be gone (again) in a year.

51 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This is about the draft.  

I couldn't have said it any better myself. It's a very solid move and that's even under the idea that you can't count on Maddox to stay healthy for 17 games. It just gives them more options and chances are it was a super cheap deal.