Birds re-sign Avonte Maddox to one year deal per Adam Schefter

Procus

I’m not sure I like or get this move? We are already paying him to not be on the roster so I guess it makes sense in that way… But he can’t stay healthy and I suppose by having him back we end up work a similar cap hit to what we had before?

Don't like this move at all.. should've cut ties and been done. 

Not sure I understand why anyone would be down on this move.  It makes sense.  Maddox is a decent slot CB when healthy.  The deal is most likely minimal and could likely be cut without implications.  See how things pan out between now and training camp, then decide.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Apparently you have no idea what a decent DB looks like, Maddox doesn't even reach that level, I would have though they would've been glad to get rid of his arse.

There's a serious problem with talent evaluation in Philadelphia.

You made a thread about how great the Nicholas Morrow signing would be last offseason.

• Haha 1

He's a good addition to the 53 if he makes it. What, you wanted prime Champ Bailey? He's a fepth signing, and a solid one.

• Like 1

Maddox has played in 64 of 99 career regular season games and 7 of 8 postseason games. So with all his injuries, he's still played in two thirds of his team's games since he's been drafted. Parris Campbell has played in 44 of his teams' 84 possible games (52%). It's weird that I didn't see the same immediate reaction by fans to his signing. 

I like that we brought him back and actually think it's funny that some here think he's just adding depth. He'll be the starting nickel as long as he's healthy and based on his track record, he's projected to be available for 2 out of every 3 games. The more healthy Maddox games we get, the more CJGJ can fully commit to safety. For the record, Tyler Hall has appeared in 31 of 67 regular season games for his teams. 

What the Eagles did with Maddox was similar to what they did with Fletcher Cox in 2022. They didn't want to part ways with him, but they didn't want to continue with the current contract. It was a necessary step to save a little.

• Like 5

On 4/6/2024 at 2:41 AM, brkmsn said:

Maddox has played in 64 of 99 career regular season games and 7 of 8 postseason games. So with all his injuries, he's still played in two thirds of his team's games since he's been drafted. Parris Campbell has played in 44 of his teams' 84 possible games (52%). It's weird that I didn't see the same immediate reaction by fans to his signing. 

I like that we brought him back and actually think it's funny that some here think he's just adding depth. He'll be the starting nickel as long as he's healthy and based on his track record, he's projected to be available for 2 out of every 3 games. The more healthy Maddox games we get, the more CJGJ can fully commit to safety. For the record, Tyler Hall has appeared in 31 of 67 regular season games for his teams. 

What the Eagles did with Maddox was similar to what they did with Fletcher Cox in 2022. They didn't want to part ways with him, but they didn't want to continue with the current contract. It was a necessary step to save a little.

Maddox has been a starting player for 38 of those 64 games and he's started 10 (Ten) games out of 13 he managed to play at all in the last 2 years. Ringo started more games than Maddox last year.

Your post sums up why this is such a bad move, he'll come in, eat the first team reps all pre season, break down injured at some point in the first 7 games at which point we have to slot in a rookie or young back up and hope he gets up to game speed before the season falls down. Given we're changing coordinators we can't even argue Maddox brings experience in the scheme, the fact that he had no better market than this should have been the last of the red flags.

This was the one time I hoped Howie was going to let a guy walk at the right time, instead he hands out another one year contract to get the old boys club back together.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Maddox has been a starting player for 38 of those 64 games and he's started 10 (Ten) games out of 13 he managed to play at all in the last 2 years. Ringo started more games than Maddox last year.

Your post sums up why this is such a bad move, he'll come in, eat the first team reps all pre season, break down injured at some point in the first 7 games at which point we have to slot in a rookie or young back up and hope he gets up to game speed before the season falls down. Given we're changing coordinators we can't even argue Maddox brings experience in the scheme, the fact that he had no better market than this should have been the last of the red flags.

This was the one time I hoped Howie was going to let a guy walk at the right time, instead he hands out another one year contract to get the old boys club back together.

Yes, a lot of the games missed happened last year since he missed virtually the entire season. That will be true no matter who you talk about . Let's play that game with CJGJ: 15 games the last 2 years. 

Since you believe that whatever negative event that has already happened is sure to happen again, that really sucks for us since the one guy that can step into the nickel role and excel after Maddox falls will also be hurt. It appears they will both have identical injuries as well since that happened last year too. 

Changing coordinators means nothing since we've been using the Fangio system the last three years and Fangio was even here himself in 2022. Maddox also has played with Slay, Bradberry, CJGJ, and Blankenship so he has familiarity with all the current projected starters. 

It cracks me up when people even worry about competition. "Oh no! He'll eat up the lesser players' 1st team reps in practice!" Heaven forbid that somebody pushes other players to earn reps. Get a grip.

12 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It cracks me up when people even worry about competition. "Oh no! He'll eat up the lesser players' 1st team reps in practice!" Heaven forbid that somebody pushes other players to earn reps. Get a grip.

His point on this is very valid. The younger players need the reps because that will help them when the time comes that Maddox will get hurt. It's happened before: we have to throw young guys in there who don't have experience. We know Maddox will get hurt, they should have just let him go and plan without him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

His point on this is very valid. The younger players need the reps because that will help them when the time comes that Maddox will get hurt. It's happened before: we have to throw young guys in there who don't have experience. We know Maddox will get hurt, they should have just let him go and plan without him. 

So you think it's better to go with lesser players in games and less competition in practice all because a player might get hurt? I'm not sure there was a single player on the team that didn't get hurt last year. Some were able to play with the injuries, but everybody gets hurt in football. Should we then start taking those same precautions for everybody else? Remember how Dickerson was hurt every year in college and was a bad pick because of his injury history? Goedert hasn't played a full season since he was a rookie ... who should we give his 1st team reps to?

We can't do anything about Maddox' old contract, but we brought him in for cheap on this 1-year deal. He's already the best Nickel we have and he's currently healthy. I'd rather roll the dice on a good player that has only been available 2/3 of the time then roll into the season with scrubs that haven't proven anything in the NFL yet. It makes little sense not to upgrade when you have the chance. Should one of these other players outplay him in practice, they will then earn those 1st team reps. 

The main thing against Maddox, based on his injury history was signing him to a big contract. His current contract doesn't put us in a bind if he misses time. If a different player wins the nickel role, Maddox still provides depth at different positions in the secondary. 

I don't really understand the desire to constantly worry about things that haven't happened. Will Maddox get hurt? Probably. Will he miss games in 2024? That can't be determined right now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

So you think it's better to go with lesser players in games and less competition in practice all because a player might get hurt? I'm not sure there was a single player on the team that didn't get hurt last year. Some were able to play with the injuries, but everybody gets hurt in football. Should we then start taking those same precautions for everybody else? Remember how Dickerson was hurt every year in college and was a bad pick because of his injury history? Goedert hasn't played a full season since he was a rookie ... who should we give his 1st team reps to?

We can't do anything about Maddox' old contract, but we brought him in for cheap on this 1-year deal. He's already the best Nickel we have and he's currently healthy. I'd rather roll the dice on a good player that has only been available 2/3 of the time then roll into the season with scrubs that haven't proven anything in the NFL yet. It makes little sense not to upgrade when you have the chance. Should one of these other players outplay him in practice, they will then earn those 1st team reps. 

The main thing against Maddox, based on his injury history was signing him to a big contract. His current contract doesn't put us in a bind if he misses time. If a different player wins the nickel role, Maddox still provides depth at different positions in the secondary. 

I don't really understand the desire to constantly worry about things that haven't happened. Will Maddox get hurt? Probably. Will he miss games in 2024? That can't be determined right now. 

No, I don't think we go with lesser players. I think they should've let go of Maddox, and get a replacement through FA/draft. Because again the point is you know you need a backup to take over when he gets hurt. Quit that & just getva new starter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

No, I don't think we go with lesser players. I think they should've let go of Maddox, and get a replacement through FA/draft. Because again the point is you know you need a backup to take over when he gets hurt. Quit that & just getva new starter.

Agreed! And I was kind of hoping that’s what Hall was going to be. And maybe he is? Maddox plays when healthy but we all know he can’t stay healthy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

They did let him go and then brought him back on a contract that makes sense given his injury history. CJGJ missed 5 games in 2021, 5 more games in 2022, and 14 games last season for a total of 27 regular season games in the last 3 years. Maddox played 29 regular season games in the last 3 seasons (would have been 30 if the team didn't rest him in the 2021 season finale vs dallas). 

So ... I'm asking ... are you just as sure CJGJ will miss time in 2024? Do we need to add another player to play his role when he inevitably gets carted off the field? Does that person need more 1st team reps in camp and practice?

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

They did let him go and then brought him back on a contract that makes sense given his injury history. CJGJ missed 5 games in 2021, 5 more games in 2022, and 14 games last season for a total of 27 regular season games in the last 3 years. Maddox played 29 regular season games in the last 3 seasons (would have been 30 if the team didn't rest him in the 2021 season finale vs dallas). 

So ... I'm asking ... are you just as sure CJGJ will miss time in 2024? Do we need to add another player to play his role when he inevitably gets carted off the field? Does that person need more 1st team reps in camp and practice?

I wouldn't have signed CJG either. But in camp, preseason & practice they need to spread reps around for backups to gain experience. They also need to acquire young, healthy talent in the secondary rather than go back to the injury/bargain bin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

I wouldn't have signed CJG either. But in camp, preseason & practice they need to spread reps around for backups to gain experience. They also need to acquire young, healthy talent in the secondary rather than go back to the injury/bargain bin.

Good luck finding a lot of young, talented players that never get hurt. Nakobe Dean never missed a game or practice in his football life until last season. There was no history to be concerned about and he still got hurt last season. Neither Maddox nor CJGJ is "old." They are both talented and currently they are healthy. There's not much more a team can do. Maddox played the entire 2021 season without missing a game due to injury. It's not as improbable as you seem to believe.

It's pretty much standard practice to mix reps anyway. Players that are higher on the depth chart, but not starters, will get some 1st team reps. They'll definitely get preseason work, unlike the starters. If a young backup stands out in practice, he will likely get more game snaps in situations. There he will get a chance to prove himself in a situation that matters. That's how it should be. You don't just throw your CB10 in with the 1st team defense in training camp to get him valuable experience. If you want to replace Maddox (and CJGJ for that matter), then somebody needs to actually push them for playing time. If they get hurt and miss time, that's where any extra unearned reps / snaps will come from. That's how both those guys got their opportunities. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Good luck finding a lot of young, talented players that never get hurt. Nakobe Dean never missed a game or practice in his football life until last season. There was no history to be concerned about and he still got hurt last season. Neither Maddox nor CJGJ is "old." They are both talented and currently they are healthy. There's not much more a team can do. Maddox played the entire 2021 season without missing a game due to injury. It's not as improbable as you seem to believe.

It's pretty much standard practice to mix reps anyway. Players that are higher on the depth chart, but not starters, will get some 1st team reps. They'll definitely get preseason work, unlike the starters. If a young backup stands out in practice, he will likely get more game snaps in situations. There he will get a chance to prove himself in a situation that matters. That's how it should be. You don't just throw your CB10 in with the 1st team defense in training camp to get him valuable experience. If you want to replace Maddox (and CJGJ for that matter), then somebody needs to actually push them for playing time. If they get hurt and miss time, that's where any extra unearned reps / snaps will come from. That's how both those guys got their opportunities. 

Nakobe Dean is on his rookie deal and has one season where he missed games because of injury, Avonte Maddox is entering his 7th year and so far only has no seasons that he managed to be available for every game (he managed 16 games the year the NFL moved to a 17 game season), these situations are not the same. To be clear if Dean has another 2 seasons where he plays less than half the games over the rest of his contract then unless he plays like Luke Kuechly in his limited games then I wouldn't want Howie to bring him back either.

This whole thing stems from Howie pulling the plug on Jordan Hicks too early back in 2018, now he holds on to everyone because he's terrified that someone will go and fulfil their potential elsewhere.

Maddox at his very best is a solid nickel corner, but teams find solid nickel corners in the bottom end of the draft all the damn time, Kenny Moore's one of the best nickels in the league and he was a UDFA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Nakobe Dean is on his rookie deal and has one season where he missed games because of injury, Avonte Maddox is entering his 7th year and so far only has no seasons that he managed to be available for every game (he managed 16 games the year the NFL moved to a 17 game season), these situations are not the same. To be clear if Dean has another 2 seasons where he plays less than half the games over the rest of his contract then unless he plays like Luke Kuechly in his limited games then I wouldn't want Howie to bring him back either.

This whole thing stems from Howie pulling the plug on Jordan Hicks too early back in 2018, now he holds on to everyone because he's terrified that someone will go and fulfil their potential elsewhere.

Maddox at his very best is a solid nickel corner, but teams find solid nickel corners in the bottom end of the draft all the damn time, Kenny Moore's one of the best nickels in the league and he was a UDFA.

In 2021, Maddox, along with the rest of the starters, was rested for the meaningless season finale vs dallas in preparation for the wildcard game. So he did indeed play that entire season. Casually looking at "games played" stats doesn't give you the entire context.

As for Dean's situation, I was just pointing out that you can't predict injuries. You can't draft young, talented players that aren't a risk to get injured. Everybody is a risk. 

Maddox' situation has absolutely nothing to do with Hicks. The Eagles extended Maddox during that 2021 season where he remained healthy all year. Instead of letting him go to the highest bidder in free agency, like Hicks, the Eagles actually released Maddox to get out of that contract, then brought him back on a cheap, short deal.

48 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

In 2021, Maddox, along with the rest of the starters, was rested for the meaningless season finale vs dallas in preparation for the wildcard game. So he did indeed play that entire season. Casually looking at "games played" stats doesn't give you the entire context.

As for Dean's situation, I was just pointing out that you can't predict injuries. You can't draft young, talented players that aren't a risk to get injured. Everybody is a risk. 

Maddox' situation has absolutely nothing to do with Hicks. The Eagles extended Maddox during that 2021 season where he remained healthy all year. Instead of letting him go to the highest bidder in free agency, like Hicks, the Eagles actually released Maddox to get out of that contract, then brought him back on a cheap, short deal.

Ah you're right he played one whole season in 6 years, he should've been brought back, it's in no way a misstep to bring back a guy who can't stay healthy to at best hang like the sword of damocles over a young player learning the ropes and at worst actively stymie their development.

Telling you a bang average easily replaceable player shouldn't be here is pointless, you just dig your heels in and seize on inconsequential statistical error as if that undermines the entire point, which is that the Eagles would not miss Avonte Maddox if they cut bait, there is nothing in his numbers at NFL level that we couldn't find in the middle rounds of the draft.

I don't know how anyone could watch the Eagles secondary in 2023 especially after Maddox got injured and be mad that he's been brought back on a one-year deal. If he's outplayed by one of the younger guys he'll be benched. If he's outplayed by multiple younger guys, he'll be cut. I mean, I could see being mad if they locked him up in a multiyear deal, but on a one year deal he's completely expendable if he doesn't perform.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Ah you're right he played one whole season in 6 years, he should've been brought back, it's in no way a misstep to bring back a guy who can't stay healthy to at best hang like the sword of damocles over a young player learning the ropes and at worst actively stymie their development.

Telling you a bang average easily replaceable player shouldn't be here is pointless, you just dig your heels in and seize on inconsequential statistical error as if that undermines the entire point, which is that the Eagles would not miss Avonte Maddox if they cut bait, there is nothing in his numbers at NFL level that we couldn't find in the middle rounds of the draft.

If Maddox is such an "average," easily replaceable player, then these young future studs should have no problem supplanting him on the depth chart / roster. 

As far as the Eagles "missing" him, I believe the fact that they brought him back says they disagree with you. Obviously, I disagree with you too. The Eagles tried unsuccessfully to replace him all last season. Now they are happy to have him back on a contract that won't cripple them if he becomes unavailable again. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 4:11 PM, kiwinavega said:

He's a good addition to the 53 if he makes it. What, you wanted prime Champ Bailey? He's a fepth signing, and a solid one.

Eh, I’m not as high on him as most here apparently. I haven’t been impressed with his play even in the little time he’s been healthy the last couple years. Below average CB with injury issues to boot… I’d have just let him walk and take a flier on another CB that may have some upside. 

20 hours ago, nipples said:

Eh, I’m not as high on him as most here apparently. I haven’t been impressed with his play even in the little time he’s been healthy the last couple years. Below average CB with injury issues to boot… I’d have just let him walk and take a flier on another CB that may have some upside. 

I’m not sure I’d say Maddox is below average. The injury issues are real but when he’s healthy he’s performed well.

On 4/10/2024 at 4:34 PM, NOTW said:

Might still happen. And if we find enough players that are better than him we might still let him go.

I doubt it though, at minimal (additional) money he is good enough for one of the last spots of the roster.