53 man roster

birdgang

I know people like to try and predict what the 53 man roster will look like for week 1. Thought this could be a cool spot for us to make predictions. Here is what I put together as of today. Feel free to chime in....

QB
1 Wentz
2 Sudfeld
3 Hurts

RB
4 Sanders
5 Scott
6 Clement
7 Holyfield

WR 
8 Jeffery (hearing he could start the season off PUP)
9 Jackson
10 Reagor
11 JJAW
12 Ward
13 Hightower

TE
14 Ertz
15 Goedert
16 Perkins

OL
17 Dillard
18 Seumalo
19 Kelce
20 Peters
21 Johnson
22 Mailata
23 Pryor
24 Herbig
25 Driscoll

DE
26 Graham
27 Barnett
28 Sweat
29 Curry
30 Miller
31 Avery

DT
32 Cox
33 Hargrave
34 Jackson
35 Ridgeway

LB
36 Gerry
37 Edwards
38 Riley
39 Taylor
40 Singleton

CB
41 Slay
42 Jones 
43 Maddox
44 Robey-Coleman
45 Leblanc
46 Douglas

S
47 Mcleod
48 Mills
49 Parks
50 Wallace

ST
51 Elliot
52 Lovato
53 Johnston

19 minutes ago, birdgang said:

I know people like to try and predict what the 53 man roster will look like for week 1. Thought this could be a cool spot for us to make predictions. Here is what I put together as of today. Feel free to chime in....

QB
1 Wentz
2 Sudfeld
3 Hurts

RB
4 Sanders
5 Scott
6 Clement
7 Holyfield

WR 
8 Jeffery (hearing he could start the season off PUP)
9 Jackson
10 Reagor
11 JJAW
12 Ward
13 Hightower

TE
14 Ertz
15 Goedert
16 Perkins

OL
17 Dillard
18 Seumalo
19 Kelce
20 Peters
21 Johnson
22 Mailata
23 Pryor
24 Herbig
25 Driscoll

DE
26 Graham
27 Barnett
28 Sweat
29 Curry
30 Miller
31 Avery

DT
32 Cox
33 Hargrave
34 Jackson
35 Ridgeway

LB
36 Gerry
37 Edwards
38 Riley
39 Taylor
40 Singleton

CB
41 Slay
42 Jones 
43 Maddox
44 Robey-Coleman
45 Leblanc
46 Douglas

S
47 Mcleod
48 Mills
49 Parks
50 Wallace

ST
51 Elliot
52 Lovato
53 Johnston

Looks about right.

Id switch Warren out for holyfield and watkins instead of jeffrey since hell be on pup.

• Like 1

That looks really close.  Only thoughts I have are:

1) Jeffery will start the season on PUP so that opens a roster spot

2) the #4 RB is pretty much wide open

3) I think they’ll add an experienced vet LB once teams start cutting players 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

That looks really close.  Only thoughts I have are:

1) Jeffery will start the season on PUP so that opens a roster spot

2) the #4 RB is pretty much wide open

3) I think they’ll add an experienced vet LB once teams start cutting players 

It would certainly be nice to add a vet LB 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, birdgang said:

It would certainly be nice to add a vet LB 

i don't know if they need to. Singleton and Riley are easily just as good as Gerry. So if you are happy with him starting, I don't see any reason to add someone else into the mix who is likely just going to be as mediocre as the guys you already have just because he has played in more games.

As far as the 53, I think the team can stash the fourth RB and third TE on the PS, since those seem to be two positions that aren't a huge premium, and keep roster spots for extra guys at DE, OT and WR. Under the new rules, the PS is essentially an extension of the roster since guys can be promoted on game day, and very few teams are probably going to waste a roster spot by grabbing Perkins or Holyfield/Warren.

i also think at RB Warren over Holyfield as we need at least one bigger RB.

7 hours ago, Golddie59 said:

i also think at RB Warren over Holyfield as we need at least one bigger RB.

The reason I went with Holyfield is because I hear the eagles are really high on him. But I do agree we need someone who can run people over to change up the pace. Maybe Warren could be Blount 2.0

8 hours ago, jsb235 said:

i don't know if they need to. Singleton and Riley are easily just as good as Gerry. So if you are happy with him starting, I don't see any reason to add someone else into the mix who is likely just going to be as mediocre as the guys you already have just because he has played in more games.

As far as the 53, I think the team can stash the fourth RB and third TE on the PS, since those seem to be two positions that aren't a huge premium, and keep roster spots for extra guys at DE, OT and WR. Under the new rules, the PS is essentially an extension of the roster since guys can be promoted on game day, and very few teams are probably going to waste a roster spot by grabbing Perkins or Holyfield/Warren.

Just worried about the lack of experience at the position. If they do not add a vet during or after camp then I assume they like what they see in their younger guys. But I'm sure it was a shock that Brown suddenly retired. Seemed like he was going to be somewhat of the experienced linebacker in the group.

But it does seem like the eagles have changed their tune a bit. I know they talked about getting younger at the end of last season. But considering the virus, lack of a real offseason program (in person and on turf), shorter training camp, and no preseason games it seems like their skeptical to rely on younger guys to step up. They haven't had the chance to develop players like they once hoped. We saw them bring back Peters and Curry. Just thought maybe a LB could be next. 

On 8/12/2020 at 10:06 PM, jsb235 said:

That is a great point and could factor in to how they construct the final roster - the process will likely be different this year compared to the past.  I wonder for players they want to add to the PS, are they subject to waivers upon final cuts or can they avoid the waiver process and be signed directly to the PS?

Edit:

So I just find this piece on PFT that specifically states:

The 16 players cut as the team gets to 53 will be exposed to waivers; if not claimed, they’ll be signed to the practice squad.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/15/some-teams-may-trim-rosters-from-80-early/

9 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Make sense to use the new PS rules creatively.  Teams need to have a means to deal with Covid cases when they happen during the season.  The extra flexibility helps and can be used to move players in and out each week.

Re adding a vet LB, the ways the team has been doing shows that they prefer players who know the system and can play with this truncated pre-season.  They could well be going with the ones they have on the roster.  If they add, likely someone who has been with the team before.

As happy as they were to get the Auburn LT in the 6th, I don't see them cutting him.  He's in over rugby unless he's IRed.  Won't be cut under any circumstances.

1 hour ago, weko said:

As happy as they were to get the Auburn LT in the 6th, I don't see them cutting him.  He's in over rugby unless he's IRed.  Won't be cut under any circumstances.

I do think Prince Tego Wanogho is a strong IR candidate.  I believe he was drafted as an insurance policy should Mailata not work out as the backup swing tackle.  

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

DE, WR and LB will sink this team.  

LB alone could sink this D. RBs and TEs in pass game are going to have their way with these guys. 

As little as this team has recently cared about the LB position... Bradham, Kamu, Hicks, Kendricks were on another level compared to these current guys. 

15 hours ago, time2rock said:

I do think Prince Tego Wanogho is a strong IR candidate.  I believe he was drafted as an insurance policy should Mailata not work out as the backup swing tackle.  

If you care about Wentz, Mailata should not be at OT.  OG maybe, perhaps DT but out on an island against NBA type power forwards he stands little chance 

yep, looks good

as others have said, if AJ is on PUP that spot will be between Watkins and a potential FA veteran

could see a veteran bigger back being brought in to compete with Holyfield, ditto for Singleton's LB spot

And I think Miller, Avery and Anthony Rush are competing for two spots -- I think one of the DEs will be the odd man out

On 8/14/2020 at 8:27 PM, time2rock said:

Mailata in the 3rd season with the team has reached a critical point.  They should have a good idea if he has what it takes by now.  This Covid pre-season certainly hurts his development, and it may well hurt his chance to stick on the roster.  It would be a shame for all his physical attributes but limited NFL knowledge.

Feels weird not having a vet RB, is Boston Scott getting 20 touches if Sanders misses a game?

95% of the roster is pretty much a no brainier. Im sure there will be that one or maybe two additions through FA, waiver wire or possible small trade. Its after teh season starts where I gets interesting. I think with no preseason we will see more injuries in the league and will be a fight getting players. I played at a higher level and scrimmage/preseason is a key in getting in hits and contact to prepare your body. Now you are looking a few weeks of reg season taking full contact shots being that preseason. Taking them hits at 100% over the easy into it approach. It will get messy. Also why I disagree with Doug not playing any starters in the preseason. The teams that normally go far in the playoffs and have the least injuries have been those who play the starters in preseason.

37 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

95% of the roster is pretty much a no brainier. Im sure there will be that one or maybe two additions through FA, waiver wire or possible small trade. Its after teh season starts where I gets interesting. I think with no preseason we will see more injuries in the league and will be a fight getting players. I played at a higher level and scrimmage/preseason is a key in getting in hits and contact to prepare your body. Now you are looking a few weeks of reg season taking full contact shots being that preseason. Taking them hits at 100% over the easy into it approach. It will get messy. Also why I disagree with Doug not playing any starters in the preseason. The teams that normally go far in the playoffs and have the least injuries have been those who play the starters in preseason.

The "real" games in September will basically mimic pre-season (with the exception of the starters getting all rather than limited snaps).  I think the 2 main keys to this season is who stays healthiest overall and who puts it together the best come November/December.  

On 8/16/2020 at 11:04 AM, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

Feels weird not having a vet RB, is Boston Scott getting 20 touches if Sanders misses a game?

Yes why not? He had 3 games that he touched the ball 14 times or more. The one being 23 times. He's short but, he 203 lbs that is mostly in his lower body. He can take the hits. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yes why not? He had 3 games that he touched the ball 14 times or more. The one being 23 times. He's short but, he 203 lbs that is mostly in his lower body. He can take the hits. 

I don't think durability is a concern with Scott. I think my concern is whether he can be a legit #2 in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think durability is a concern with Scott. I think my concern is whether he can be a legit #2 in the NFL. 

Well if he can continue with what he did last year with now more experience I think he will definitely be a legit #2. We have seen running backs fall off a map after a good season though..... Clement comes to mind lol

7 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well if he can continue with what he did last year with now more experience I think he will definitely be a legit #2. We have seen running backs fall off a map after a good season though..... Clement comes to mind lol

Exactly and that's why I have some concerns over the RB position. I mean Sanders is potentially a stud but there is also a scenario where he falls off a little bit as teams work him out a little more. That may not happen, he may be too good for that but it could happen. And then behind him what do we have? Scott who may or may not be a good legit #2. Clement who can't ever stay healthy (and who I am still not convinced is as good as his level of play in 2017) and then who? Holyfield has some size, Warren has some size and Killins is really fast but also really small.

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly and that's why I have some concerns over the RB position. I mean Sanders is potentially a stud but there is also a scenario where he falls off a little bit as teams work him out a little more. That may not happen, he may be too good for that but it could happen. And then behind him what do we have? Scott who may or may not be a good legit #2. Clement who can't ever stay healthy (and who I am still not convinced is as good as his level of play in 2017) and then who? Holyfield has some size, Warren has some size and Killins is really fast but also really small.

I'm not worried about Sanders even a little bit. Runningbacks with his skill set and his ability to learn and want to be the best is usually get better in their 2nd year. The rest I agree with you. Even when Clement wasn't injured the last 2 years he seemed like he was running in mud

18 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm not worried about Sanders even a little bit. Runningbacks with his skill set and his ability to learn and want to be the best is usually get better in their 2nd year. The rest I agree with you. Even when Clement wasn't injured the last 2 years he seemed like he was running in mud

Exactly. People think if Corey can stay healthy then he'll be fine... But actually I'm just not convinced he's that good. I think 2017 was a one off. 

That LB group is awful. Hopefully, we can grab a good veteran or two after cuts.