Eagles' new coach thinks team's WR corps is underrated, can be among NFL's best

UK_EaglesFan89

Eagles' new coach thinks team's WR corps is underrated, can be among NFL's best

They're tired of being known as the worst group of wide receivers in the league.

And they may finally have a coach who can help them get rid of that tag.

"We have an expectation to be one of the top groups in the league," new Eagles receivers coach Aaron Moorehead said Thursday. "That's what we expect. This group is coming out with a little bit of a chip on its shoulder I think because of last year, and that's a good thing."

Eagles receivers last year combined for just 137 passes for 1,488 yards and nine touchdowns, the worst WR numbers in the league.

It was the fewest yards by an Eagles receiving corps since 2000, when Charles Johnson, Torrance Small and Friends had 1,481.

For the first time since 1966 no Eagles wide receiver even had 500 yards.

Out with Carson Walch, in with Moorehead, the Eagles' fifth receivers coach in five years under Doug Pederson.

It doesn't take much time with Moorehead – even on a Zoom call – to sense his confidence, passion, dedication and communication skills.

And he's already instilled a hunger in this wide receiving group to go from one of the worst in the league to one of the best.

"At the end of the day, a little added extra motivation (doesn't hurt)," he said. "In this day and age (with) social media, you can try to ignore it, but people hear what (critics) say, and I think guys understand that we do have something to prove, and that's OK. There's nothing wrong with that, and I enjoy a good challenge and I enjoy coaching a group that has something to prove."

DeSean Jackson is 33 and managed one healthy game last year. Alshon Jeffery struggled then got hurt and has been largely disappointing since he signed here. Second-round pick J.J. Arcega-Whiteside had a miserable rookie year. And rookie Jalen Reagor keeps hearing how the Eagles should have taken Justin Jefferson instead.

You can understand why this group feels disrespected.

"I think that's good," Moorehead said. "I've coached groups that people believed were the best [...] and I've coached groups that people disrespected and felt like they weren't very good, so it's not anything new to me. I think we have a really good group. I know we have a really good group. It's just up to us to stay healthy and prove it week in and week out."

The Eagles haven't had a wide receiver with back-to-back 100-yard games since Jordan Matthews in 2015.

They haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since Jeremy Maclin in 2014.

On paper they should be better. How can they not be?

Their goal isn't just to be better. It’s to be among the best.

"So far they've taken the approach that [they're] ready to go out there and prove every day why we should be one of the top groups in the NFL," Moorehead said.

You have to love Moorehead's approach and his personality.

If his receivers can match his confidence and swagger, the Eagles just might finally have a receiving corps to get excited about.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-new-coach-thinks-teams-wr-corps-underrated-can-be-among-nfls-best

Let's hope these WRs can step up this year... It can't really be much worse than last year right?

😬

@UK_EaglesFan89 regarding your comments in  "who else do we sign if not Paul Richardson"?  My opinions lie closer to this.  I think we should figure out who we have in house.  Let's get JJAW a bunch of reps, Let's get Raegor a bunch of reps, let's get these young guys on the field and see what they can do.  We already know what Paul Richardson can do.  He is a free agent in mid-August, this says plenty about what the league thinks.  

Now, this idea that "this group can be one of the best" is kind of nuts.  Even if there is potential, it will likely take at least a few years for these guys to develop into a legit threat.  A better goal would be not being the worst group...

• Like 3

They're tired of being known as the worst group of wide receivers in the league.

Well when you have this:

Eagles receivers last year combined for just 137 passes for 1,488 yards and nine touchdowns, the worst WR numbers in the league.

... and this:

It was the fewest yards by an Eagles receiving corps since 2000, when Charles Johnson, Torrance Small and Friends had 1,481.

.... and this:

For the first time since 1966 no Eagles wide receiver even had 500 yards.

... and this:

The Eagles haven't had a wide receiver with back-to-back 100-yard games since Jordan Matthews in 2015.

... and this:

They haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since Jeremy Maclin in 2014.

The perception is not only warranted but accurate.  

Now I am really hoping Moorehead is the right guy to motivate these young WRs and can get the most out of them.  

• Haha 3

Every would be champion offense needs to be really good with the run and pass, but...

The WCO is by design, a pass first offense. That a team with a franchise QB and running a WCO would compromise on WR talent seems crazy to me. It's like a run first team featuring Darnell Pumphrey. It's silly.

I hope they've finally found some impact receivers that consistently make this offense better.

I've hoped for that before........to no avail.

We'll see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

@UK_EaglesFan89 regarding your comments in  "who else do we sign if not Paul Richardson"?  My opinions lie closer to this.  I think we should figure out who we have in house.  Let's get JJAW a bunch of reps, Let's get Raegor a bunch of reps, let's get these young guys on the field and see what they can do.  We already know what Paul Richardson can do.  He is a free agent in mid-August, this says plenty about what the league thinks.  

Now, this idea that "this group can be one of the best" is kind of nuts.  Even if there is potential, it will likely take at least a few years for these guys to develop into a legit threat.  A better goal would be not being the worst group...

Yeah I'd agree with all of that. See what we have with the new guys and how JJAW develops. If it's looking bleak then see who's available. 

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been any reporting on Jalen Reagor this entire preseason? Searching. Still unable to find anything.

I don't really care about certain units or players "being among the best".......The Eagles won a super bowl with an average group of receivers, an average group of RBs, and average group of LBs, a secondary that consisted of banged up guys, rookies and some "cast off" FAs.  Oh, and a 2nd string QB and a 2nd year head coach.

Teams that get to the super bowl usually have a strong chemistry, overcome adversity, never quit during a game, and use their talent in an efficient and effective manner.....and a lot of that has to do with coaching, team leadership, a solid mix of youth and veterans and confidence.

Pedersen has done an EXCELLENT job keeping this team competitive and going to the playoffs the last 2 years with injury devastated rosters.  If the eagles can stay relatively healthy, they'll be one of the best teams in the NFC.

18 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Has there been any reporting on Jalen Reagor this entire preseason? Searching. Still unable to find anything.

He's injured. Other than that, he was showing up at practice and reportedly doing well before he hurt his shoulder.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

He's injured. Other than that, he was showing up at practice and reportedly doing well before he hurt his shoulder.

I hope so. Word out of Dallas is that Lamb is the next Jerry Rice. So there's that.

• Like 1

I'll chalk it up to nerves in his 1st pro game, but Hightower needs to settle down and focus on catching the ball. He was looking like Agholor out there and that we can't have going forward.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:07 AM, jsdarkstar said:

I hope so. Word out of Dallas is that Lamb is the next Jerry Rice. So there's that.

I think J'Marr Chase may be that guy this coming April.