Top 3 Games Where the Refs Screwed the Eagles

PhillyGreenMachine

So last week I posted one of these and it was pretty obvious to all that Doug Pederson was the best player turned coach. This countdown will be about my top 3 games since I have been a fan where the referees screwed the Eagles out of a win. What is a situation you can think of where the refs made poor calls that costed the Eagles the win since you've been a fan?

I never blame refs for losing. Yes there have been some really sheety calls over the years but, every team goes through this. We have a bias towards our team and how we are the only ones that get screwed. The refs in the NFL have to many judgment calls to make so that makes them just suck all around for everyone. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I never blame refs for losing. Yes there have been some really sheety calls over the years but, every team goes through this. We have a bias towards our team and how we are the only ones that get screwed. The refs in the NFL have to many judgment calls to make so that makes them just suck all around for everyone. 

With all that bs being said, the refs absolutely can play a huge part in the outcome of a game 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

With all that bs being said, the refs absolutely can play a huge part in the outcome of a game 

Yup

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

This. Let’s not be the saints. It definitely goes both ways.

If a game comes down to one or 2 calls and we lose, usually there would have been other missed opportunities/mistakes that had we capitalized on we would have won. In the end the refs are human and make mistakes, the good teams win regardless of one or two calls. 

This is one that has always stuck with me. I’m sure you all unfortunately remember the Tommy Hutton botched hold on MNF in Dallas in 1997. A short time prior, we had stopped Dallas on a 4th down play but a flag was thrown for DPI, even though replays showed clearly the ball was tipped at the LOS. The ref in that game was a man named Ron Blum, who even yelled at the team pleading their case from the sidelines to get off the field over his open mic. I hated that guy since. 

The most egregious one must be the "no clear recovery" game vs Dallas. I don't know how those refs could keep their jobs after that. 

However, officiating is horrible in general, not only against the Eagles. They really need to implement the "sky judge" soon or do whatever is needed to do better. It truly sucks when they decide the outcome of a game. 

I agree that if you're playing a bad team, a few bad calls shouldn't stop you from winning. But more even games are normally decided by one or two plays. Like in the SB, if the ref decides to overrule Clement's TD or the Philly Special, most possibly the Eagles don't win that game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beto_eagles said:

The most egregious one must be the "no clear recovery" game vs Dallas. I don't know how those refs could keep their jobs after that. 

However, officiating is horrible in general, not only against the Eagles. They really need to implement the "sky judge" soon or do whatever is needed to do better. It truly sucks when they decide the outcome of a game. 

I agree that if you're playing a bad team, a few bad calls shouldn't stop you from winning. But more even games are normally decided by one or two plays. Like in the SB, if the ref decides to overrule Clement's TD or the Philly Special, most possibly the Eagles don't win that game. 

That would be the one game I got infuriated with the refs. We had a few calls go our way for the super bowl. So it's not all screw the eagles . Reffing just sucks in general. Like I said mostly because they give these refs to many judgment calls that they have to make in a split second. I'm in no way defending the refs and some are just flat out awful but, seems to be that way across the entire league. So no point in beetching about it the league will do what it wants. 

• Like 1

One that sticks out to me right away is the 2008 NFC Championship game vs Arizona. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

One that sticks out to me right away is the 2008 NFC Championship game vs Arizona. 

Kevin Curtis being tackled before he caught the ball?? Again I get that it was sheety call but, the offense and defense couldn't get on the same page that game one half was given away by the defense and the other half was given away by the offense. If the Eagles were the better team it wouldn't have come down to that one sheety call. 

14 hours ago, wtfcares said:

This. Let’s not be the saints. It definitely goes both ways.

If a game comes down to one or 2 calls and we lose, usually there would have been other missed opportunities/mistakes that had we capitalized on we would have won. In the end the refs are human and make mistakes, the good teams win regardless of one or two calls. 

I’m not making this as someone that usually complains about the refs, however these are the main games where the refs screwed the team 

7 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

This game in general is where I throw all common sense out the window and act like a whiny Saints fan.  The "no recovery" call along with Goedert's offensive pass interference were 2 of the most egregious calls I've ever seen that I can remember. 

On 8/17/2020 at 7:18 PM, Heavywchamp said:

Just ask the Saints.

23 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

The Kevin Curtis PI. Of course the play before that one McNabb had Hank Baskett wide open and missed him across the middle.

I can’t off the top of my head reference any game the Eagles were done dirty by the refs, but I’m fully aware they have have been snake bitten by the refs and have also been given favorable outcomes due to mistakes by refs. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Just ask the Saints.

This is true but the saints still had opportunities that game and still couldn't pull out the win. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

This is true but the saints still had opportunities that game and still couldn't pull out the win. 

Overall I don’t really get too up or down about refs much after a game has ended. We had some ups and some downs. With that being the case refs making calls or failing to make calls on or near the last play can be gut wrenching. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Overall I don’t really get too up or down about refs much after a game has ended. We had some ups and some downs. With that being the case refs making calls or failing to make calls on or near the last play can be gut wrenching. 

Agreed. I just hate the people that beech about the refs from start to finish. 

Every fan base of every team in the NFL thinks the officials, the media and the league conspire together against their team. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 12:33 PM, beto_eagles said:

That was one of the worst I've seen. Not just that they didn't get it right on the field, but actually watched a replay where a pile of several Eagles were on top of the ball without a cowboy in sight, and somehow it wasn't a "clear recovery".

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 12:33 PM, beto_eagles said:

That was the first game I thought about, I still don’t understand that call and it was reviewed. One of the worst calls ever.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:19 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

This is one that has always stuck with me. I’m sure you all unfortunately remember the Tommy Hutton botched hold on MNF in Dallas in 1997. A short time prior, we had stopped Dallas on a 4th down play but a flag was thrown for DPI, even though replays showed clearly the ball was tipped at the LOS. The ref in that game was a man named Ron Blum, who even yelled at the team pleading their case from the sidelines to get off the field over his open mic. I hated that guy since. 

I believe the Eagles were also the beneficiary of a horrible call in that game. I forget the specifics, but I remember that the long pass play that set up the chip shot field goal (which Hutton flubbed) should not have been allowed. Something to do with Freddie Solomon.

4 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I believe the Eagles were also the beneficiary of a horrible call in that game. I forget the specifics, but I remember that the long pass play that set up the chip shot field goal (which Hutton flubbed) should not have been allowed. Something to do with Freddie Solomon.

Hmm, I honestly don’t remember an issue on that play. Not saying you’re wrong though. 

Like others on this thread have said, you can't blame refs for losses. Good teams rise above bad calls -- for the most part.

That being said, I still can't believe we didn't get awarded the opening kickoff fumble recovery against Dallas in 2018 -- and the Dallas Goedert PI overturning his 71-yard TD still throws me into a manic rage.

• Like 2