Our drafting department/ Howie...sucks, and this will impact our future.

Traveler Vic

I have no idea where we are rated, and by whom, as the best / worst drafting team... But Other than Wentz, who we paid a fortune for in draft picks....ever since Chip's draft of Ertz and Lane..have we had a single impact player step up??? I can not think of one. I am really looking for some answers. We may not be Cleveland...but what do we have to do, to get a high quality drafting department??? Fire Howie? Change coaches? We tried changing coaches, but that had no impact on the draft. 

Once we run out of money, and Howie will not be able to supplement the team's needs with free agents...our draft picks will be exposed for what they are. Our future for at least several years..unfortunately! looks mediocre, and other than a health bug....a horrible drafting is one of the main reasons.

• Like 1

This year’s draft had an encouraging training camp. A lot of guys seemed to turn heads. Hopefully, that carries into the regular season and this draft can help them get back on track in that regard.

3 hours ago, vaff said:

This year’s draft had an encouraging training camp. A lot of guys seemed to turn heads. Hopefully, that carries into the regular season and this draft can help them get back on track in that regard.

Hightower...In the Eagles fashion ....5th round pick, who may contribute immediately, and possibly Reagor if he comes back healthy. Everyone also is on special teams, this year. The idea of Hurts challenging Wentz, is unrealistic. But considering the state of our OL, I can see Hurts getting some playing time this season.

So this is based off of this training camp of new rookies or...... Cause if it is this thread is premature

So if we exclude the impact players the Eagles drafted (Graham, Cox, Johnson, Kelce, Wentz, Ertz), and the impact guys that were free agents or trades (Peters, Brooks, Jenkins when he was here), there’s not really much left, in terms of impact players.  Miles Sanders appears to be one.  I’d say that there were some decent players, but wouldn’t quite classify them as impact (Seumalo, Goedert, Maddox, Mills, Vaitai, Hicks, Allen).

9 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

So this is based off of this training camp of new rookies or...... Cause if it is this thread is premature

I am not analyzing this..years draft, but a sum of all the drafts since the last regime change, since Chip.... Wentz and Sanders ...that's it. The philosophy that we can hit on some draft picks by having 10-11 draft picks each year...only works if you have a reasonable luck and the part in question "skill". 

7 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Can't wait to see your post when we lose a game 🤣

If you are talking about the first game...I do not expect much at all. So I will reserve my judgement until 3-4 games into the season. I would like  to see how our backups perform in future games.

7 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

So if we exclude the impact players the Eagles drafted (Graham, Cox, Johnson, Kelce, Wentz, Ertz), and the impact guys that were free agents or trades (Peters, Brooks, Jenkins when he was here), there’s not really much left, in terms of impact players.  Miles Sanders appears to be one.  I’d say that there were some decent players, but wouldn’t quite classify them as impact (Seumalo, Goedert, Maddox, Mills, Vaitai, Hicks, Allen).

I like Sanders...But if we do not run the ball and our OL is ...decimated with even 1 more injury..Sanders is not going to perform well. We will see. Most of the other players you mentioned were not drafted by the current regime, and purchasing free agents is all good until the money runs out.

I had my "Time to put Howie back in the basement?" thread on the old EMB and got flamed by all the Howie fan boys LOL.

I agree OP.  It's time...

Office Space Basement Blank Template - Imgflip

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In case you haven't figured it out by now, this team relies heavily on coaching up players rather than getting a bunch of blue chip stars on the roster. 

It's the Patriots system: put your money into finding the best head coach possible, let him find his QB and coaches, a top LT, DT and TE, fill the rest with 2nd tier or lower guys and change skill position players like you change underwear and hope for the best.

It's worked ok for them, only so-so for this team.

21 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

But Other than Wentz, who we paid a fortune for in draft picks....ever since Chip's draft of Ertz and Lane..have we had a single impact player step up???

Goedert, Sanders, Seumalo, Mills

A lot of fans write off players that don't have an instant impact. How many people gave up on JJAW after last season? He hasn't proven himself yet, but he's been working hard to improve physically and mentally and seems better prepared for this year and it looks like he'll get an opportunity to play early. Maddox looked good as a rookie, but struggled a bit last year to stay healthy or improve, but he's the starter now at CB2. Actually, the 2018 draft still has a chance to be great as every pick has improved each year. The lack of preseason games didn't help, but all 5 guys from 2018 are still  better now then when we drafted them. 

To me, it's easy to look back on drafts from several years ago and see where we failed. But too many people today are projecting failure on players that are still here --- players that were considered projects.

17 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

I like Sanders...But if we do not run the ball and our OL is ...decimated with even 1 more injury..Sanders is not going to perform well. We will see. Most of the other players you mentioned were not drafted by the current regime, and purchasing free agents is all good until the money runs out.

Keep in mind that of the originally projected starters, 4 of the linemen were drafted, with the 5th being brought in via a trade.  The trade to get up to get Wentz also lost them quite a few picks.

2 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

Keep in mind that of the originally projected starters, 4 of the linemen were drafted, with the 5th being brought in via a trade.  The trade to get up to get Wentz also lost them quite a few picks.

I think the picks given up for Wentz is understated. But they have drafted some stinkers. MS2 comes to mind. I wonder how Howie's batting average on stinkers compares to the league average.

14 hours ago, Madriver said:

In case you haven't figured it out by now, this team relies heavily on coaching up players rather than getting a bunch of blue chip stars on the roster. 

It's the Patriots system: put your money into finding the best head coach possible, let him find his QB and coaches, a top LT, DT and TE, fill the rest with 2nd tier or lower guys and change skill position players like you change underwear and hope for the best.

It's worked ok for them, only so-so for this team.

I don't think their philosophy is to have less talent and to then coach it up.  

Also, Doug isn't Belichick, Wentz isn't Brady, and our defense has 1 guy at the level of the multiple long-term studs they had.

5 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

The entire 2017 draft is pretty much a wash. That's a freaking killer to this team's future. 

Who was 2017? Barnett, Douglas, Jones, Hollins, Gibson? Jeez yeah that's a horror show. 

• Like 2

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Who was 2017? Barnett, Douglas, Jones, Hollins, Gibson? Jeez yeah that's a horror show. 

Pump too who they traded up for.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh god yeah! Was Mailata another? Or was that 2018?

I think he was 2018. Clement was though. Probably the best of the lot.

• Like 1

Its sad that after 7 years apart from Wentz the best players on the Eagles  are from the andy/ chip era

• Like 3

Face planting on Jones and Douglas is downright embarassing

• Like 2

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Face planting on Jones and Douglas is downright embarassing

I look at the Jones pick as being a great risk with a great reward being at how highly thought of Jones was before the achilles. However, you better hit on some other picks in that draft or the one before to take that kind of risk. Obviously we didn't so it looks even worse now. 

4 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

The entire 2017 draft is pretty much a wash. That's a freaking killer to this team's future. 

2019 isn't looking so good either

• Like 1