Our drafting department/ Howie...sucks, and this will impact our future.

Traveler Vic

59 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Face planting on Jones and Douglas is downright embarassing

Sure is. Watch one play well another place.

On 9/4/2020 at 5:34 PM, downundermike said:

This draft is gonna surprise, and may save Howies job.

Funny, Howie on the hot seat.

44 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

2018 wasn’t exactly some smashing success.

No but to be fair they did well with Goddard in the 2nd and got a decent slot corner in the 4th they have at the wrong position outside because both Jones & Douglas busted.  Sweat didn't impress at all the first 1 1/2 years but it sounds like he has improved.  He is going up against our horrible 2nd Oline so we'll have to see if he can get off the OT's initial block and not be stuck like he's velcrowed to him like in the past.  Sounds like he has gotten better.  And Pryor with the last pick in the 6th is about as well as you can do there.  i'm not a fan of undersized players but you can get away with that at slot corner, just not outside where I expect his short height will have him as a weekly target.  I'd give 2018 a B for now with the limited picks.  2107 a D and 2019 a C-, saved only by Sanders or it would be a D-F

Bad draft selections, questionable trades, and kick the can down the road contracts have put the Eagles in the predicament they’re in now. They use their top picks for backups meanwhile their lower picks can’t even make the squad. They have done a horrible job finding replacement for their ailing lineup, and somehow Howie isn’t even feeling the heat from any of it. Jeff Lurie is a little too loyal to his buddy Howie. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

The entire 2017 draft is pretty much a wash. That's a freaking killer to this team's future. 

Howie’s triumphant return and that class was a smoldering mess. 

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Bad draft selections, questionable trades, and kick the can down the road contracts have put the Eagles in the predicament they’re in now. They use their top picks for backups meanwhile their lower picks can’t even make the squad. They have done a horrible job finding replacement for their ailing lineup, and somehow Howie isn’t even feeling the heat from any of it. Jeff Lurie is a little too loyal to his buddy Howie. 

Winning a SB 2 seasons removed from the disaster that was Chip Kelly’s roster construction should give Howie a life line.  At least for right now. 2018 wasn’t a bad draft. Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, Pryor, and Mailata?  With limited picks, how can we complain about that haul?  9 of 10 rookies made the roster today.  I think they made some good choices this year too. 

The team did not have good drafts the last couple years.  Partly due to drafting players too high, with injury history, and/or players failed to develop and improve.  Having a strong pipeline of young players is critical of the team's continuous success.  The personnel department is the main issue and needs to be addressed.  Coaches also need to make developing young players an important part of their works.  Doug should demand that from his staff or set up a separate branch to task for that effort.

5 hours ago, hputenis said:

Winning a SB 2 seasons removed from the disaster that was Chip Kelly’s roster construction should give Howie a life line.  At least for right now. 2018 wasn’t a bad draft. Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, Pryor, and Mailata?  With limited picks, how can we complain about that haul?  9 of 10 rookies made the roster today.  I think they made some good choices this year too. 

That SB is wearing off rapidly. The Carson haul wasn’t as bad as it’s made out to be since they got a first for Sammy Sleeves. 2018 jury is still out. I’m not as high on Maddox as others are especially how he got torched by Adams from the Packers and how he got beat by Metcalf in the playoffs. Goedert hopefully can supplant Ertz as the starter, but apparently the Eagles aren’t quite ready to make that move. I’m glad the rookies made the roster. Let’s see what they can, but is it really that much of a surprise? What other choices did they have? Sweat, Pryor, and Mailata do not move the needle for me. Miles Sanders seems like he could be special. I really hope so, because right now Roseman’s drafts have been Wentz a bunch of guys, and a bunch of bums. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

That SB is wearing off rapidly. The Carson haul wasn’t as bad as it’s made out to be since they got a first for Sammy Sleeves. 2018 jury is still out. I’m not as high on Maddox as others are especially how he got torched by Adams from the Packers and how he got beat by Metcalf in the playoffs. Goedert hopefully can supplant Ertz as the starter, but apparently the Eagles aren’t quite ready to make that move. I’m glad the rookies made the roster. Let’s see what they can, but is it really that much of a surprise? What other choices did they have? Sweat, Pryor, and Mailata do not move the needle for me. Miles Sanders seems like he could be special. I really hope so, because right now Roseman’s drafts have been Wentz a bunch of guys, and a bunch of bums. 

In regards to the 2018 draft, I agree with you about Maddox overall as a player.  I'm definitely nervous that he's our #2 starting outside CB, and I hope he plays more like he did his rookie year.  I'm looking at these guys compared to where they were drafted.  For a 4th round pick, Maddox is an adequate, average starter at an important position.  I'd take that in the 4th round all day long.  If he was a 2nd round pick, I'd probably hate him.  😂

I think Goedert was an absolute steal, and he will be even better this year with speed on the outside.  Then they take a chance on a super freak of an athlete in Josh Sweat in the 3rd round, and I am hopeful he sees the field a ton this year as it looks like he has improved a lot in the offseason.  Of course, I never mind what they did when they took Mailata in the 7th.  Take a shot at an athletic freakazoid to see if Stoutland can develop him.  Jury is still out, but it's only a 7th round pick.  

8 minutes ago, hputenis said:

In regards to the 2018 draft, I agree with you about Maddox overall as a player.  I'm definitely nervous that he's our #2 starting outside CB, and I hope he plays more like he did his rookie year.  I'm looking at these guys compared to where they were drafted.  For a 4th round pick, Maddox is an adequate, average starter at an important position.  I'd take that in the 4th round all day long.  If he was a 2nd round pick, I'd probably hate him.  😂

I think Goedert was an absolute steal, and he will be even better this year with speed on the outside.  Then they take a chance on a super freak of an athlete in Josh Sweat in the 3rd round, and I am hopeful he sees the field a ton this year as it looks like he has improved a lot in the offseason.  Of course, I never mind what they did when they took Mailata in the 7th.  Take a shot at an athletic freakazoid to see if Stoutland can develop him.  Jury is still out, but it's only a 7th round pick.  

Maddox doesn't have to cover the other teams best receiver like he had too the last 2 years he is the second corner who will get constant help with slay and NRC locking down their receivers without help  They can't have pro bowl lockdown corners at every corner spot. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Maddox doesn't have to cover the other teams best receiver like he had too the last 2 years he is the second corner who will get constant help with slay and NRC locking down their receivers without help  They can't have pro bowl lockdown corners at every corner spot. 

Cool.  I agree with that and never said they need lockdown corners at every spot.  I was discussing something completely different in regards to Maddox.  

2 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Cool.  I agree with that and never said they need lockdown corners at every spot.  I was discussing something completely different in regards to Maddox.  

I know but, I've seen so many people lose their minds over Maddox and you got caught in the crossfire of my thoughts on it lol. Sorry

• Haha 1

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know but, I've seen so many people lose their minds over Maddox and you got caught in the crossfire of my thoughts on it lol. Sorry

No worries!  I actually do like Maddox, and I think he will look much better this year with better CB play.  I was making the case that for a 4th rounder, I would take Maddox all day every day.  That's really good value.  

7 minutes ago, hputenis said:

No worries!  I actually do like Maddox, and I think he will look much better this year with better CB play.  I was making the case that for a 4th rounder, I would take Maddox all day every day.  That's really good value.  

I think so too. Pissing and moaning about a corner picked in the 4th round that can't cover the other teams #1 receiver in his second/3rd year is nuts. I think he has played good for his draft position but, he needs help which he will get this year and that will make him a lot better. Which to me would make him a successful pick. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Sure is. Watch one play well another place.

That will be Rasul.  He was a horrible scheme fit here from Day 1.

• Like 1

I don’t even remember who we drafted in 2019 outside of sanders. That’s how forgettable and abysmal these drafts have been. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

That will be Rasul.  He was a horrible scheme fit here from Day 1.

Jim never wanted to try him at safety either. Maybe he was right, but worth a shot.

2 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Jim never wanted to try him at safety either. Maybe he was right, but worth a shot.

"Worth a shot?" Another waisted 3rd round pick in this scheme. I am looking at 2017 Draft tracker and it makes me sick on how many good players were still available and how many players we missed on. There were exceptional cornerbacks and safeties that could have solved our problems. Whoever is responsible for the 2017 draft should be held accountable. I want Howie as far away from drafting...or hiring his "Football advisor" assistants as possible. Put a monitoring device on Howie's ankle that gives him electric shock  if he steps within 50 feet of drafting department.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2020 at 5:34 PM, downundermike said:

This draft is gonna surprise, and may save Howies job.

Very interested to see how this one pans out with going with speed all over the place Al Davis style lol.

3 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

"Worth a shot?" Another waisted 3rd round pick in this scheme. I am looking at 2017 Draft tracker and it makes me sick on how many good players were still available and how many players we missed on. There were exceptional cornerbacks and safeties that could have solved our problems. Whoever is responsible for the 2017 draft should be held accountable. I want Howie as far away from drafting...or hiring his "Football advisor" assistants as possible. Put a monitoring device on Howie's ankle that gives him electric shock  if he steps within 50 feet of drafting department.

Yeah, worth a shot to try him at safety. 

10 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Yeah, worth a shot to try him at safety. 

I am sure that the question was raised by the Eagles and was declined. If anything, most failed draft gurus try to hang on to their failed picks as long as possible, and sometimes...at the cost of releasing a more prominent newcomer.