Buy or Sell

Hawkeye

We did this on the other board and people complained so if you don’t like the premise find another thread.  With that said I’ll start:

The Eagles will win more than 10 games and make the playoffs (Vegas has their win total at 9.5).

I’m selling.
Hate to say it but this feels like a 7-9 year with tough games against the Steelers, Seahawks, Packers, Saints and Ravens. Add in the divisional schedule (we hate ‘em but the Cowboys are tough and the Giants look like spoilers), plus an early look at young Joe Burrow then, later, Baker Mayfield?  Not feeling it boys. Oh, and did we mention Arizona?

Am I wrong?

Sadly, I am saying less, with all the injuries to the O-line, that is going to cause so many problems.  if nothing else, I will know if I'm right or wrong after the first game, the team with no name does have a sick defense line.

I'm selling but only until I see 1) the offensive line can keep Carson protected; 2) an improvement in the secondary. If those two things happen I think there's a possibility the Eagles could start 7-2 (or 6-3 if they lose to Dallas at home) going into likely the toughest part of the schedule against Seattle, Green Bay and New Orleans. At that point, even if you lose all three, getting to 10 wins is still possible. The biggest hurdle at that point will be Dallas, though Arizona will likely be much better too.

I predicted 7-9 or 8-8 before the draft when they kept Jim as the DC and Doug said he is still calling the plays. Sticking with that.

Let’s try another one:

Jalen Hurts will start 2 games (or more) at quarterback this season.

Buying.  You know why.  Carson is the man but the data says he will miss several games.  With all due respect, they didn’t spend a 2nd round pick on a third string quarterback.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Let’s try another one:

Buying.  You know why.  Carson is the man but the data says he will miss several games.  With all due respect, they didn’t spend a 2nd round pick on a third string quarterback.

I have them winning 9 so I guess I have to sell on that 9.5, but I don’t think Hurts gets two or more games. I think I Carson has a full season (though I know that doesn’t happen often) and if he doesn’t miss a few games I believe Sudfeld gets the call first. 

Sell. I usually go 10 wins. Feeling 9 this year. Win with your lines, I see 9 win lines. O line missing its best player and otherwise in flux, D line strong in the middle, so so on the ends. Add to that the cumulative effect of bad drafts, missing your captain on D (Malcom) and the ever ridiculously present injury plague, yeah... 9. 

Here’s my prediction for the season

-Eagles start the season 5-6 and look unwatchable 

-they find out there’s one playoff spot left by way of wildcard or division

-eagles run the table and grab the last playoff spot

-Eagles get smoked wildcard weekend 

I'm selling at 10 wins,  we basically start with last years offense until Reagor is ready to play,  and somehow we've managed to sign Darius Slay and yet still make our secondary worse. Doug's teams have always started sluggishly and I don't think Dallas will let us back in this year.

I can see Hurts starting games at the end of the season, when we finally drop out of mathematical post season contention, Doug announces the decision and reveals that Wentz has been playing through discomfort since week 7 or some such.

I'd love to be wrong but it depresses me that what I've written there sounds so plausible.

If this year is to be another 8 or 9 win season, I'd honestly question if one of Howie or Doug shouldn't be on a hot seat given our trajectory since 2017.

• Haha 1

The biggest obstacle to the eagles having a 11+ win season is injuries again.  

If Wentz stays healthy, he'll be back at MVP form with a more talented set of WRs and RBs.  People around here seem to forget how dangerous he was when healthy.  He worked out his issues late last year by being confident again to throw into tight windows, spreading the ball around, and being more active in the pocket.

They were 9-7 last year with a crippled roster.  They have improved the talent at WR, RB, DL, DB.......the major areas that were banged up last year.

But in Philly, where idiot fans and idiot media can only see negatives, the eagles are somehow worse off than last year.....LMAO.

I’m going 10 wins. Improved secondary, improved DLine depth. I’m actually very optimistic about the defense this year. 

Should be improvement at WR, hell if Jackson plays two fulls games that’s a step up from last year. And I think just getting Ughalor off the field and out of the locker room will be a welcome change. I know he’s currently injured and will miss a couple games, but I’m very bullish on Reagor and think over the course of the season he makes a huge impact to the offense. 

The OLine is the key. Peters needs to stay healthy(ish), and need someone (Pryor, whoever) needs to step up at RG. 

I'm going to sell and predict a 9 win season. As many have said, injuries on the offensive line will be a major problem. Our depth has been depleted at the position and we could be a couple injuries away from having a really awful unit. Our defensive line needs to be spectacular because the rest of the defense is a complete question mark. I also have to think that having subpar drafts from 2017-19 will eventually catch up to us. You can't only get 1 or 2 rosterable players per draft for 3 years straight and expect to not see it impact the results.

We need 2020's class to have some gems and impact players.

I think it comes down to health of the team. Considering what we accomplished last season, I think we win 12 (13 if the last game means 1st seed). Just our core players must stay healthy. 

No doubt in my mind if Wentz wasn't concussed against Sea we win that playoff game.

• Like 1

Selling, sadly.  

1. I think our defense is gonna be improved - Darius Slay will be fun to watch.  I'm excited to see what Hargrave can be do.

2. Miles Sanders will be entertaining to watch, too.  I think he could emerge this year and rush for 1000 years.  

3. Giants, Cowboys and Redskins all have new coaches, new systems and haven't had a single game to practice.  I think that could be worth 5 wins right there.  I'm not buying that the Cowboys can hit the ground running with all that talent.  It takes some time to adjust to a new coach / system.  Wouldn't be surprised by some slow starts.

4. Sadly our schedule is just brutal. 

Winnable / should win games: Browns, Bengals, Cardinals, Rams, Packers

Tough games: Steelers, Saints, Seahawks, Ravens, 

5 wins in division + take 4 of 5 winnable + 0 of 4 tough games = 9 wins.

I'm Buying, the Eagles only team in the NFC east with same coaching staff and same scheme. Changing coaches and schemes is always an issue for teams in regular seasons. This was no normal offseason. 

Low is 9 wins, High is 12. I'll take the over 9.5

Most of you expect the Eagles will have the same WR and CB issues we had last year. ( and still won 9 and went to the playoffs)

We wont. 

13 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Selling.   

If Carson gets hurt this year,  Nate Sudfeld will start.   Read the tea leaves: Doug just signed 41 year old Josh McCown to the PS.  He already has 3 QBs.  Why did McCown sign?  To be the emergency 3rd starter (after Sudfeld).  Doug is not going to rush Hurts into being in the game anytime soon.  If Sudfeld struggles or gets hurt, Josh McCown will start.  

Hurts will get some snaps at QB, but will start 0 games.  Hurts might actually be inactive early in the season unless Doug has some trick plays in store for him..

I am not excited about this season. Probably because I can't attend the home games. As such, I don't believe the Eagles win the Division and miss out on a Wild Card spot, resulting in a higher draft position. I don't believe the Eagles are a better team than last year. I'll take the under 9.5 games. 

This year I have no feel for this team. Weird. 

I'm calling 8-8. They made some improvements, but injuries are still a huge factor, before the season even started.

Most important: Oline. How many games can we count on Peters at LT? And if they slide Pryor over to LT, is he as bad as he was against our DEs in camp and who steps up at RG? What if, god forbid, something happens to Lane or Kelce or even Seumalo?

We are thin and unproven at DB, DE, LB, WR and even RB. I see a lot of struggles this year, with a .500 season, but looking better going into next year.

1 hour ago, Ipiggles said:

I'm Buying, the Eagles only team in the NFC east with same coaching staff and same scheme. Changing coaches and schemes is always an issue for teams in regular seasons. This was no normal offseason. 

Low is 9 wins, High is 12. I'll take the over 9.5

We have the same head coach and DC, offensively apart from Duce we have a pretty much a whole new set of position coaches and consultants, so we don't have the same system as last year or at least we shouldn't, if we do honestly we're in trouble because our system last year wasn't that good.

We have a #1 outside CB and then a bag full of Nickels. For all Rasul Douglas and Sidney Jones weren't all pro, does it not worry anyone that barring Slay the grand total of 2019 interceptions by the corners on our roster is zip, dick, bupkuss?  Jones had as many picks as Slay.  At best you can say we might be better tackling than last year, but stopping the ball getting there at all is better, especially when Dallas has 3 Receivers that would make our roster pretty much no question.

I am going 11-5 so I am buying.

1) Every team in the NFC is starting off behind the Eagles because of their coaching staffs in this abrupt offseason.

2) The play the Ravens, Saints and Seattle all at home instead of on the road.

3) They always play Green Bay tough in GB.

4) Their hardest games will probably be the Steelers game because they are coming across country after a Sunday night game

It comes down to injuries, but I believe they are set up very well for a run this year.