New Year, Same Eagles (with some bright spots)

philafan4o8

Doug Pederson AKA "Dougie P" is will never commit to the run. Yes, the running game was not effective but you must have the defense account for the run. With the o-line in shambles, washington's front 4 pinned their ears back on every play. This is why I was hoping for an actual OC to be hired.

Goedert is ready to take that next step. Needs to be a little more sure handed but loved what I saw today.

Reagor is going to be the real deal as I predicted. Needs concentrate when fielding punts.

Defensive backfield is way better than last year. The defense gave up points but don't be fooled the offense is the main reason for those turnovers and failed 4th down attempts.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Doug Pederson AKA "Dougie P" is will never commit to the run. Yes, the running game was not effective but you must have the defense account for the run. With the o-line in shambles, washington's front 4 pinned their ears back on every play. This is why I was hoping for an actual OC to be hired.

Goedert is ready to take that next step. Needs to be a little more sure handed but loved what I saw today.

Reagor is going to be the real deal as I predicted. Needs concentrate when fielding punts.

Defensive backfield is way better than last year. The defense gave up points but don't be fooled the offense is the main reason for those turnovers and failed 4th down attempts.

I agree on Goedert.  This off-season was the perfect opportunity to trade Ertz and we simply failed to do so.  Well...he paid us back with a huge 4th down drop.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, b_west3 said:

I agree on Goedert.  This off-season was the perfect opportunity to trade Ertz and we simply failed to do so.  Well...he paid us back with a huge 4th down drop.  

I didn't want to trade Ertz but it does look like the relationship is broken. He looked and played pissed off. Doug Pederson also made an effort to get the ball to Goedert instead of Ertz. They might have to go ahead and trade him at the end of the season

Can we reall proclaim Reagor is the real deal yet? I would say his performance was mixed at best. Agholor had a better debut than he had.

We know Reagor has deep speed. He has to prove that he can work on all levels including underneath and work the middle.  I'm not saying he can't, but we didn't see that today.

45 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Can we reall proclaim Reagor is the real deal yet? I would say his performance was mixed at best. Agholor had a better debut than he had.

Fair enough but I think you are referring to Agholor in the preseason debut not his regular season debut which makes reagors debut a little more impressive after missing some time.

I will admit that I was exaggerating a bit but I am a big fan of Reagor. Didn't have a desean jackson debut but it was solid

18 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Fair enough but I think you are referring to Agholor in the preseason debut not his regular season debut which makes reagors debut a little more impressive after missing some time.

I will admit that I was exaggerating a bit but I am a big fan of Reagor. Didn't have a desean jackson debut but it was solid

He made a nice catch over the shoulder against Darby which was good. He also muffed a punt, missed a block on a bubble screen, and a ball going his way did get intercepted. That was mostly on Wentz though. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

He made a nice catch over the shoulder against Darby which was good. He also muffed a punt, missed a block on a bubble screen, and a ball going his way did get intercepted. That was mostly on Wentz though. 

I mentioned the punt in my initial post. Yes, just one catch. Let's not forget Wentz missed Reagor deep for a TD. 

He showed promise in his first game. My main point.

Just now, philafan4o8 said:

I mentioned the punt in my initial post. Yes, just one catch. Let's not forget Wentz missed Reagor deep for a TD. 

He showed promise in his first game. My main point.

Certainly am not trying to write him off just yet. Just stating the jury is still out on how good he will be. At least we know he can separate from defenders in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Certainly am not trying to write him off just yet. Just stating the jury is still out on how good he will be. At least we know he can separate from defenders in the NFL. 

Getting separation deep and catching an over the head pass already makes him better the Agholor. He is gonna make mistakes early, especially with no real off season training and limited practice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I didn't want to trade Ertz but it does look like the relationship is broken. He looked and played pissed off. Doug Pederson also made an effort to get the ball to Goedert instead of Ertz. They might have to go ahead and trade him at the end of the season

I'd honestly dump him now.  I just don't understand these guys that sign a contract and with 2-3 years left want it re-done.  If you have a year left, sure go for it, but you signed the deal suit up, play and catch a f'n easy 4th down pass for God's sake. 

I know it's the day after a bad loss but... I'm not seeing these positives. 

Sure Reagor showed speed and got separation on that big catch. That's great and I have high hopes for him. 

Other than that? It just isn't a good team. The DL lacks a play maker on the edge. The LBs are not good and the secondary isn't very good either. Slay was OK but he's going to be completely wasted because by the time we get good he's going to be on the major decline. 

The OL is a mess, Wentz was rattled and we have no run game without Sanders. 

I felt that last season would've been a good time to trade Ertz. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a player, but Goedert already looked like he was ready to take the next steps and some teams had extra first round picks and were in need of a TE to win now. I think now is a buyers market. Teams know there is a rift there so the Eagles are partially hamstrung by the negotiations. 

21 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Getting separation deep and catching an over the head pass already makes him better the Agholor. He is gonna make mistakes early, especially with no real off season training and limited practice. 

I don’t want to seem like I’m against the kid, but I’m not ready to call him legit just yet. I need to see some more. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t want to seem like I’m against the kid, but I’m not ready to call him legit just yet. I need to see some more. 

Can't call him legit at this point. But I think he showed enough yesterday for us to say he comes as advertised.

• Like 2

I'm not ready to crown Reagor yet. But I admit he did more good than bad. He's fast, he can make the deep catch. And even when he wasn't catching balls he commanded attention from the defense. He's got some room to grow.

I guess the difference between last year and this year is that in my opinion Doug feels some sort of pressure to use the long ball this year with the new weapons./  But with no preseason its not a good idea.  Do you think Doug would have called a deep throw on 3rd and 3 last year? I think he needs to adjust or this team would go down quickly

On 9/14/2020 at 12:58 AM, EazyEaglez said:

He also roasted the defense a second time on what should have been a huge play if not a TD, but Wentz overthrew him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nipples said:

He also roasted the defense a second time on what should have been a huge play if not a TD, but Wentz overthrew him. 

Like I mentioned I’m not trying to bash the kid. I’m just not ready to say he’s a lock to be good. I’d like to see more, but certainly improved play from his quarterback (who by the way everyone thought three years ago would be the second coming of greatness which is kind of proving my point) would help his cause. 

25 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

I guess the difference between last year and this year is that in my opinion Doug feels some sort of pressure to use the long ball this year with the new weapons./  But with no preseason its not a good idea.  Do you think Doug would have called a deep throw on 3rd and 3 last year? I think he needs to adjust or this team would go down quickly

I felt they used these rookies in this game way too much. Clearly the moment looked too big for Hightower, but they just kept going to him. They barely used Jackson at all. They also didn’t even try to get Carson and that pocket moving where he’s at his best as a passer. The coaching staff was terrible in this one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I felt they used these rookies in this game way too much. Clearly the moment looked too big for Hightower, but they just kept going to him. They barely used Jackson at all. They also didn’t even try to get Carson and that pocket moving where he’s at his best as a passer. The coaching staff was terrible in this one.

I don’t care what he or the team says, Jackson was clearly hurt. You could see it when he was on the sideline. 

Which is why I was saying all offseason that I’m approaching this year as if Jackson doesn’t exist, and anything he provides is just an unexpected bonus. 

7 minutes ago, nipples said:

I don’t care what he or the team says, Jackson was clearly hurt. You could see it when he was on the sideline. 

Which is why I was saying all offseason that I’m approaching this year as if Jackson doesn’t exist, and anything he provides is just an unexpected bonus. 

The Eagles are getting really accustomed to lying about injuries all of a sudden. I wouldn’t put it past them if he were hurt. Okay even if he were then they should have kept going with what was moving the chains. Get the ball to the TEs. How about getting Wentz moving out of that pocket? It just didn’t seem like they schemed or adjusted during the game. 

On 9/14/2020 at 5:35 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Can't call him legit at this point. But I think he showed enough yesterday for us to say he comes as advertised.

He certainly looks like he belongs in the NFL unlike JJAW for sure. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles are getting really accustomed to lying about injuries all of a sudden. I wouldn’t put it past them if he were hurt. Okay even if he were then they should have kept going with what was moving the chains. Get the ball to the TEs. How about getting Wentz moving out of that pocket? It just didn’t seem like they schemed or adjusted during the game. 

I have no clue why they stopped trying to get the ball to Goedert. Dude looked unstoppable then they just stopped going to him. Hell I don’t even mind those quick 1-2 yard throws with him because he’s one of the few who always seem to be able to break a tackle or two and get a nice little chunk out of it. 

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

I have no clue why they stopped trying to get the ball to Goedert. Dude looked unstoppable then they just stopped going to him. Hell I don’t even mind those quick 1-2 yard throws with him because he’s one of the few who always seem to be able to break a tackle or two and get a nice little chunk out of it. 

As far as I’m concerned the coaches and Wentz collectively lost a very winnable game. 

• Like 1