Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

i think the bigger question is does he want to be here? because how are you going to win when you have no cap space? unless they hit on every pick which is very unlikely, they are rebuilding and they are not going to be good next year and if they get rid of wentz now, in two years you'll have cap space and you will be able to improve the team, this is not 2013 because we had young talent and cap space and a new coach which got us to the playoffs. cap space is our enemy right now, until we get rid alot of it we are not contending because we are relying just on draft picks and it's not going to make this team better now.

i'll say it again we get rid of wentz now, probably two years, keep wentz 3 or 5 years.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I suspect a new coaching staff etc will come in with fresh ideas and fresh eyes and see what they have. I also suspect they've asked for the authority to make the necessary choices. If Sirianni feels at some point that Hurts is a better option then I hope he's enabled to make that decision. I also suspect he'll give Carson every chance during the off season. 

Well there's the rub:  is he free to make his coaching hires - who he thinks is the best OC and QB coach along with the rest of the offensive positions to coach up Wentz or any QB?  Was he tasked specifically with fixing Wentz or is he allowed to evaluate which QB he wants to start?  

With the draft, I do believe that at his core, Howie wants to get good players for the team and give the coach what he wants.  I think his issue is when the scouts and coaches all say they want X, he overrides that thinking he's going to really wow them with Y.  We also now have reports of Lurie interfering with who to draft, who to dress/play on gameday, and of course which assistant coaches the HC can hire.  Hard to say in this organization which in many ways is dysfunctional.

Too many questions, too many risks and I don't have a ton of faith in the front office, despite I'm sure Siri wanting to do his best job.  We'll see.  

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Hiring Reich's OC, next best thing to fix Wentz?

Reich’s OC has zero ties to Carson. This isn’t quite the next best thing type fit. I guess at most I’m glad it wasn’t McDaniels, but this coaching search was underwhelming.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

You never know.  A new coach and system that comes in with a fresh start, new OC and new QB coach and approaching Carson the right way...plus it's up to Carson to self-reflect, study film and work on improving himself.  It will take a lot of hard work and effort and the right attitude all around, but it's possible.  

I think Lurie wants to take another shot as his "asset" as he called him, to see if he can return to his prior years' performance.  Then if he doesn't, they can move on.

Yep. I have my doubts, but if he and Doug couldn't co-exist anymore, then fine, he got his wish. Put up or shut up. Control what he can control. 

12 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well no more excuses for Wentz. He got his guy. I don’t know how this guy is going to coach him up though. When you have vets like Luck, and Rivers the job isn’t that difficult. 

That’s true but he also had a middle of the pack offense with Brissett playing decent. 

16 hours ago, nipples said:

That’s the only thing I don’t like about the hire. I think we got a good coach, but to me this pretty much guarantees Wentz is back next year. And I just don’t think he’s salvageable. 

I think people are building Wentz into a monster that they're starting to believe in. He had a bad year. I don't understand why I should believe he can't come back from that. 

39 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I think people are building Wentz into a monster that they're starting to believe in. He had a bad year. I don't understand why I should believe he can't come back from that. 

Haven't you heard? The whole year is Wentzs fault! He also steals candy from babies, causes cancer and engineered COVID in his basement. 

27 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Haven't you heard? The whole year is Wentzs fault! He also steals candy from babies, causes cancer and engineered COVID in his basement. 

Is it really that tough for you to grasp that he was if not the worst QB in the league, at least bottom 3?

He was trending down as well....season by season.

I know there is security in your delusions but accepting at least some level of reality is healthy.

Sounds like Wentz will be given every opportunity to prove last year was a fluke.  I don't think it was but hopefully he proves all us doubters wrong.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Because in my view it wasn’t "one bad year”. He’s been inconsistent outside of one season. Always has had spotty accuracy

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

Because in my view it wasn’t "one bad year”. He’s been inconsistent outside of one season. Always has had spotty accuracy

Just to be clear, are you basing your opinion on the record of the team or Carson's stats?

3 hours ago, DevilMayRage said:

Is it really that tough for you to grasp that he was if not the worst QB in the league, at least bottom 3?

He was trending down as well....season by season.

I know there is security in your delusions but accepting at least some level of reality is healthy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wentz+stats&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS696US696&oq=wentz+stats&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j0i20i263i395j0i395l7.6359j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

Career

I think the main effort of the Eagles now has to be to salvage the investment in Wentz any way possible. I really hope he looks good this offseason and preseason. People have to realize though, that watching him lose games will NOT do that; and that this effort will have a deadline after which they'll just have to release him. Right now, Jalen Hurts is the better QB, with some promise. Winning has to be the ultimate priority.

I think Sirianni is in a really tough position. I think there will be a focus on fixing Wentz and I kind of get that. But if that doesn't work out then this team is going to be in an early hole and then what? Does Sirianni have the power to bench Wentz? And if he does, and if that's what plays out then where does that leave Wentz?

Sirianni needs to be careful in his approach here. He needs to be balanced and consider that the organisation may want Wentz to succeed but Wentz could also get Sirianni the sack very quickly.

9 hours ago, nipples said:

That’s true but he also had a middle of the pack offense with Brissett playing decent. 

I don’t envy our new coach he has a lot of work to do.

Clearly it came down to a choice between losing a ton of money to get rid of Wentz now and start fresh,
or finding a new coach to fix him before his contract expires, so they'll know whether it should be extended.

No sense speculating on anything else. What's done is done. Let's wish our new coach the best and hope
it works out for him, one way or the other. (Meaning he won't get the blame if he tries every possible
way to fix Wentz but gets no cooperation.)

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Sirianni is in a really tough position. I think there will be a focus on fixing Wentz and I kind of get that. But if that doesn't work out then this team is going to be in an early hole and then what? Does Sirianni have the power to bench Wentz? And if he does, and if that's what plays out then where does that leave Wentz?

Sirianni needs to be careful in his approach here. He needs to be balanced and consider that the organisation may want Wentz to succeed but Wentz could also get Sirianni the sack very quickly.

The way i see it is Sirriani has 3ish seasons to show improvement. Certainly can't expect massive improvement next season with the way the team is trending downward. Old squad, lack of quality depth, cap situation.

The Eagles DESPERATELY need to have a successful draft or two and that seems impossible with our past history.

8 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

The way i see it is Sirriani has 3ish seasons to show improvement. Certainly can't expect massive improvement next season with the way the team is trending downward. Old squad, lack of quality depth, cap situation.

I agree with you but if Wentz continues to play the way he did last year then year one is not going to be pretty. Couple that with an even worse roster and I just can't see his first year being anything other than a bottom 5 team. 

13 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

The Eagles DESPERATELY need to have a successful draft or two and that seems impossible with our past history.

Especially since we've said FOR YEARS that they need to nail THIS draft to get top shelf talent or the team will suffer long-term. Seriously, every year people say Howie really needs to nail this draft.

At some point you stop hoping because you know it won't happen. 

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is a great question.  Hopefully Wentz turns the corner and drastically improves, but if it's more of the same then he shouldn't last 4 weeks as starter. 

10 minutes ago, Bloodtype_Green said:

This is a great question.  Hopefully Wentz turns the corner and drastically improves, but if it's more of the same then he shouldn't last 4 weeks as starter. 

Agreed. I think if the same Wentz starts next year then his leash should be shorter than it was this past year. 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Especially since we've said FOR YEARS that they need to nail THIS draft to get top shelf talent or the team will suffer long-term. Seriously, every year people say Howie really needs to nail this draft.

I’ve decided to start hoping for world peace instead. 

3 hours ago, Bloodtype_Green said:

If he fails, his trade value also tanks to zero.  So they will be forced to cut him after 2021.  I believe that is the plan since they save $6M in cap for 2022 by releasing him before that season, albeit taking a $24M cap charge.

They're going to gamble the $10M roster bonus in 2021 + $15M guaranteed 2022 salary by bringing him back for the 2021 season.  So they're eating $25M in additional cap charges to hope they can either a) turn him around, or b) improve his trade value after the 2021 season so they can get more in trade than they can now.

If neither happens, he gets released after the 2021 season.  It's a $25M gamble.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I think if the same Wentz starts next year then his leash should be shorter than it was this past year. 

The only thing with a short leash is that you must have an adequate replacement.  While I agree with your idea, that is the limiting factor and was this year, as well.

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

No! No! THIS is the year.

Archived