Philadelphia Eagles: Should we be worried about Fletcher Cox?

UK_EaglesFan89

Philadelphia Eagles: Should we be worried about Fletcher Cox?

There’s reason to be concerned about Philadelphia Eagles DT Fletcher Cox.

It’s hot take season, and I’m coming in with the straight inferno-level heat. While I’m fully aware that the Philadelphia Eagles are only one week into the 2020 season, I’m fully prepared to die on this massive hill I’m about to plant myself on.

So here it is: I’m officially starting to worry about Eagles defensive tackle Fletcher Cox. I’m worried about him now, I’m worried about him moving forward, and I’m worried about his eventual longterm future in the city of Philadelphia.

Now before you all start bombarding my Twitter feed with hellish insults (@DavidEsser_), let me explain where my thought process is stemming from, starting first with the 2018 season.

Cox was a monster in 2018, absolutely dominant in all facets of his game. He finished the regular season with a career-high 10.5 sacks, a career-high 12 TFLs, and a career-high 34 quarterback hits. He was a menace in both the run game and in rushing the QB, and he capped off his campaign being named the 69th best player in all of football.

However, Cox suffered a fairly serious foot injury during the team’s NFC Divisional Round loss that year. He had to undergo pretty invasive surgery over the offseason, withholding him from a lot of the team’s normal practices and workouts. Then as the 2019 preseason began to start, Cox suffered an injury to his toe, limiting his participation in more practices and further exhibition games.

During the 2019 regular season, Cox’s production absolutely plummeted. Whether it was due to some lasting effects from his two injuries, or the lack of production at the DT2 position, Cox saw a drop in statistical performance at almost every level. His sack numbers dropped to 3.5 (his worst season total since way back in 2013), and his TFLs and QB hits sharply declined as well.

Again, a lot of people were quick to pinpoint this to injuries and/or the lack of appropriate talent alongside him. Both of these theories may be equally true, but when you pay a defensive tackle $20+ million a season, you’re expecting him to carry some of the load regardless of the circumstance.

Fast forward to 2020 and the Philadelphia Eagles were lauded for having one of the best DT rotations in all of football. Former Steeler Javon Hargrave was signed to a shiny free agent deal this past offseason (we’ll get to that later), and Malik Jackson was returning from injury. While Hargrave would ultimately miss Week 1 due to his own personal injury knock, the partnership of Cox and Jackson was seemingly going to wreck havoc on an abysmal Washington O-Line.

Well, the game came and went, and Cox recorded zero sacks, zero QB hits, and just 0.5 TFLs. Despite going up against one of the least experienced O-Lines in all of football, Cox was completely neutralized.

Now I get it, it was only one game. However, it’s really hard to not start connecting some of the dots when it comes to Cox’s future in midnight green. The team is projected to be anywhere from $50-70 million over the cap in 2021, and Cox is set to count for 11.53% of that number. As much of a Philadelphia Eagles legend as he is, at some point one has to wonder just how much you’re willing to pay for a guy who might just be on the decline.

I’m not promising that Cox necessarily is regressing, but lower body injuries to someone that heavy can really be career-altering. His foot injury was serious, and you saw just how hard it was for him to operate at 100% in 2019. Even with a solid DT2 next to him against Washington here in 2020, he really struggled to get any sort of lower body drive against fairly bad offensive linemen.

Additionally the Hargrave signing always struck me as a tad odd (I told you we would circle back to this). While finding a solid DT2 is important, surely paying $39 million for one when you’re already facing cap hell is a bit overkill, is it not? The more and more I thought about it, the more and more it looks to me like they paid Hargrave to be the team’s DT1 moving forward, as opposed to being a really expensive Robin to Cox’s Batman.

Whether we want it to happen or not, it does look like Howie Roseman and the Philadelphia Eagles are headed for a bit of a "re-tool” of sorts in the near future. They’ve already pissed off one Super Bowl legend in Zach Ertz with their refusal to pay him, and I’m not sure if they plan on stopping there. Their championship window is all but closed at this point in time (considering the state of their roster and how bogged down by injuries it is), and at some point, they’re going to have to start parting ways with expensive talent.

Ertz will likely be the first name to go, DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery will surely follow soon after, and then Cox could be the final domino to fall in what could turn out to be a fairly ugly purge.

It’s hard to imagine life as a Philadelphia Eagles fan without Fletcher Cox, I really do get that. However, it’s also quite hard to ignore all the clues and hints that are pointing to a potential divorce with the star lineman. If he has another year similar to that of 2019, especially considering he is surrounded with legitimate DT talent this go around, I really wouldn’t be surprised if he was a name that popped up in some trade rumors this offseason.

https://section215.com/2020/09/13/philadelphia-eagles-worried-fletcher-cox/

I'll be honest... I think he should be one of the guys we look to potentially trade. He falls in to that category in my mind. Not because I think he's bad or that he's really declining but he's in that bracket now. 

Every player who hits 30 years of age instantly goes on the list of possible trades. One or two won't go anywhere because the team's Owner says so (JP for instance) and finishes an Eagle. The rest, well, one or two will be traded but most will just be released. 

Is Cox aging? Yes. Has his productivity diminished statistically? Yes. Does that mean he's gone? No. What does it mean? I'd say that he's still a strong power rusher who is somewhat disruptive, but won't be singlehandedly taking over games. Then again, that's what he's always been.

9 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Every player who hits 30 years of age instantly goes on the list of possible trades. One or two won't go anywhere because the team's Owner says so (JP for instance) and finishes an Eagle. The rest, well, one or two will be traded but most will just be released. 

Is Cox aging? Yes. Has his productivity diminished statistically? Yes. Does that mean he's gone? No. What does it mean? I'd say that he's still a strong power rusher who is somewhat disruptive, but won't be singlehandedly taking over games. Then again, that's what he's always been.

Yea and that's a problem at $24m per  year.

• Like 4

He’s definitely in decline. I mean maybe when Hargrave is back on the field taking extra attention away he’ll start producing more, but he’s clearly not the player he was a few years ago. 

8 minutes ago, nipples said:

He’s definitely in decline. I mean maybe when Hargrave is back on the field taking extra attention away he’ll start producing more, but he’s clearly not the player he was a few years ago. 

I don't see this team contending for a title any time in the very near future - we have a lot of ground to cover to catch up to Seattle, NO, KC, Baltimore, etc.  The only way we are going to get back there is by having a few consecutive drafts that we completely ace - I don't see that happening either with Howie in charge of talent evaluation.  By the team this team possibly returns to being legitimate contenders, Cox will surely be a shell of the player he once was, so honestly, the takeaway message of the article isn't that outlandish in that it might be wise to consider moving him soon and getting as much draft capital in return to potentially build up the roster with promising young talent.  We just need moves like that (and a potential Ertz trade for more high draft capital) to coincide with a change at GM (and unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon).  So be prepared for a few seasons of possibly sneaking into the playoffs and crapping out early as best case scenario.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't see this team contending for a title any time in the very near future - we have a lot of ground to cover to catch up to Seattle, NO, KC, Baltimore, etc.  The only way we are going to get back there is by having a few consecutive drafts that we completely ace - I don't see that happening either with Howie in charge of talent evaluation.  By the team this team possibly returns to being legitimate contenders, Cox will surely be a shell of the player he once was, so honestly, the takeaway message of the article isn't that outlandish in that it might be wise to consider moving him soon and getting as much draft capital in return to potentially build up the roster with promising young talent.  We just need moves like that (and a potential Ertz trade for more high draft capital) to coincide with a change at GM (and unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon).  So be prepared for a few seasons of possibly sneaking into the playoffs and crapping out early as best case scenario.  

I'm not sure that Cox is trade-able.  

From a player/talent/production perspective, Cox (at this point) will probably give you more, and better years than the vast majority of 2nd round picks.  So one could say he has second round value.

When you account for his massive contract relative to what he has left in the tank, his trade value basically dwindles to zero.

If you aren't getting anything in return, you might as well just avoid the waves associated with moving an Eagles great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

From a player/talent/production perspective, Cox (at this point) will probably give you more, and better years than the vast majority of 2nd round picks.  So one could say he has second round value.

When you account for his massive contract relative to what he has left in the tank, his trade value basically dwindles to zero.

If you aren't getting anything in return, you might as well just avoid the waves associated with moving an Eagles great.

Good point(s).  At least he'll retire with ONE Super Bowl ring (unlikely to get another here).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Cap space is worth it.

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Cap space is worth it.

I am torn on it.  While I understand your point, it's a tremendous blow to morale and to PR to trade a franchise great, still a very good player, for a 6th round pick.  I don't know the details of what team eats cap and guaranteed money when a mega contract gets traded, but if it's the team receiving Cox, you really won't get more than a 6th or 7th for him.  And if the Eagles eat a lot of it, then what's the point of trading our really good DT anyway?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I am torn on it.  While I understand your point, it's a tremendous blow to morale and to PR to trade a franchise great, still a very good player, for a 6th round pick.  I don't know the details of what team eats cap and guaranteed money when a mega contract gets traded, but if it's the team receiving Cox, you really won't get more than a 6th or 7th for him.  And if the Eagles eat a lot of it, then what's the point of trading our really good DT anyway?

For me it comes down to how the season goes. I don't see them going anyplace, but hope to be wrong. There comes a time when a rebuild has to happen. That doesn't mean it has to be a full tear down but paying an aging player 20+ a season keeps them from improving other places. The dead cap will keep them from being able to move him though. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

For me it comes down to how the season goes. I don't see them going anyplace, but hope to be wrong. There comes a time when a rebuild has to happen. That doesn't mean it has to be a full tear down but paying an aging player 20+ a season keeps them from improving other places. The dead cap will keep them from being able to move him though. 

Agree. To me Cox has been a great player for this team and if we were a competitive team then he'd be a part of that. But I think Hargrave needs to be that long term DT play maker for this team and sadly difficult decisions need to be made. 

• Like 1

Fading away or not, as of today, he is still their best D-lineman. I think he sticks around, however trading him and Ertz for 2022 picks would be the right move. You can get better picks by waiting a year and the cap relief down the line would be helpful. Time to tank for J'Marr Chase since there doesn't seem to be a LT worthy of a top pick this April and both Alshon and Desean will be gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Fading away or not, as of today, he is still their best D-lineman. I think he sticks around, however trading him and Ertz for 2022 picks would be the right move. You can get better picks by waiting a year and the cap relief down the line would be helpful. Time to tank for J'Marr Chase since there doesn't seem to be a LT worthy of a top pick this April and both Alshon and Desean will be gone.

Can we use one of those picks on a GM??  :excited:

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Can we use one of those picks on a GM??  :excited:

If it would land an all time great talent evaluator? I'd do it.

20 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

If it would land an all time great talent evaluator? I'd do it.

There are a few young GMs that are impressing the heck out of me.  Veach in KC has done a tremendous job.  He actually came up through Philly under Reid.  Reid was wise to take him along to KC.  Would love to identify someone like that.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, time2rock said:

There are a few young GMs that are impressing the heck out of me.  Veach in KC has done a tremendous job.  He actually came up through Philly under Reid.  Reid was wise to take him along to KC.  Would love to identify someone like that.  

I'm with you. Howie is an analytics guy and tends to lean that way with his hires so talent eval is more stats-centric. The Eagles will probably have to go outside the organization for a stellar talent evaluator coming up from the scouting side. Only Lurie can force that to happen.

There are a few up an comers around the league that show promise. The Eagles should interview them all. 

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

I'm with you. Howie is an analytics guy and tends to lean that way with his hires so talent eval is more stats-centric. The Eagles will probably have to go outside the organization for a stellar talent evaluator coming up from the scouting side. Only Lurie can force that to happen.

There are a few up an comers around the league that show promise. The Eagles should interview them all. 

Beane is another I think is doing a pretty solid job.  

The hope that Lurie is going to (in essence) demote Howie by stripping him of his GM duties (at least those relating to talent evaluation) is highly likely to go unrealized, at least for a while.  As I stated earlier, I believe we’d actually have to fall to the bottom of the league and stay there for a few consecutive seasons in order to see that kind of shakeup.  I think we’re going to be stuck in that "not good enough” to win a championship and "not bad enough” to hit rock bottom territory for at least a few years ... unfortunately.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Beane is another I think is doing a pretty solid job.  

The hope that Lurie is going to (in essence) demote Howie by stripping him of his GM duties (at least those relating to talent evaluation) is highly likely to go unrealized, at least for a while.  As I stated earlier, I believe we’d actually have to fall to the bottom of the league and stay there for a few consecutive seasons in order to see that kind of shakeup.  I think we’re going to be stuck in that "not good enough” to win a championship and "not bad enough” to hit rock bottom territory for at least a few years ... unfortunately.  

I'll say one nice thing about Philly sports...mediocrity doesn't last long here.  It may give way to worse than that, but as a sports city, we've seldom had a problem pulling the plug on sustained mediocre situations.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I'll say one nice thing about Philly sports...mediocrity doesn't last long here.  

Nor should it.  

• Like 1

I do believe Father Time is coming for Cox. 

I don't want to believe that some of you are planning to ship him off.

All I know is he’s not getting another huge contract from me. If we can extend his current deal and spread out some of his current money we can start talking but he’s going to be in his 30s when this current contract is up. I don’t want to be paying him over 10 million per year when he’s 33. Hell I might not even re-sign him. 

On 9/15/2020 at 11:41 AM, eagle45 said:

We’d get way more than a 6th. Minimum would be a second but more likely a late first from a team thinking he can set them over the top for a championship. Send him to say New England for a second and a guard to help offset the cap hit for them.