Eagles Set to Host RB Devonta Freeman for a Visit

time2rock

Reports indicate Devonta Freeman is scheduled for a visit once COVID precautionary measures have been met.  Smart move to add someone of his pedigree to the mix considering Sanders isn’t 100% (and they likely don’t want to push him to risk extended injury) and even smarter to wait until after week 1 to potentially sign him so as to avoid guaranteeing his salary.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/18/eagles-set-for-visit-with-devonta-freeman/

• Like 2

I think its more of a sign that Clement is not 100%. Was injured back end of camp and did not look healthy against the skins. 

20 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think its more of a sign that Clement is not 100%. Was injured back end of camp and did not look healthy against the skins. 

Agreed.  I have no issues replacing Clement if he isn’t healthy (again).  Story of his career post Super Bowl. 

• Like 2

Can't hurt. Hopefully, he is the durable type, because all of the Eagles backs keep getting banged up. Clement... hmmm, I won't say anything this time, but it has to do with ALWAYS being injured. 

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I agree. Not sure if it was health related, or the fact he is not in "football shape". Game also probably felt fast to him (I'm guessing).

See I'm not sure about this. I mean he's likely going to cost $2-3M? And that's cap space that we need to roll over to next year. I like the player I'm just not sure the purpose of such a move.

I don't think he makes this team a contender. Though the RB room does concern me. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See I'm not sure about this. I mean he's likely going to cost $2-3M? And that's cap space that we need to roll over to next year. I like the player I'm just not sure the purpose of such a move.

I don't think he makes this team a contender. Though the RB room does concern me. 

I don't either.  This reminds me of having added Tate a couple years ago thinking he was "the missing piece" (although that was done via a trade at the trade deadline).  He clearly didn't make a difference.  And I agree with needing any and all cap space to roll over to 2021.  But I'd bet Howie and Doug think differently and believe we are legit contenders and aren't ready to throw in the towel after one week.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't either.  This reminds me of having added Tate a couple years ago thinking he was "the missing piece" (although that was done via a trade at the trade deadline).  He clearly didn't make a difference.  And I agree with needing any and all cap space to roll over to 2021.  But I'd bet Howie and Doug think differently and believe we are legit contenders and aren't ready to throw in the towel after one week.  

Oh I'm sure they both think they are contenders. Freeman definitely gives them something different and would be a good #2. But I say roll the cap over. It does have that Tate type feel to it although to be fair that year I did think we weren't too far away. This year I think we are. 

11 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Great now we can have 864374 running backs... how about we find some adequate OL depth?

They only had one healthy back on the active roster by the end of last Sunday (and it’s debatable whether Clement himself was even 100%).  Not sure where you’re thinking they have an over abundance of running backs. 

Nice job bringing him in at the end of the week. No chance he could help against the Rams. Should have done this weeks back, but if he leaves without a deal....

54 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Nice job bringing him in at the end of the week. No chance he could help against the Rams. Should have done this weeks back, but if he leaves without a deal....

Waiting to buy hoping his salary demands go down?  Like watching something in the store you really want but waiting for it to go on sale.  

Also can only guess didn't want to sign him before week 1 so as to avoid guaranteeing his salary.  

2 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Get it done. Anyone who doesn't think RB is a legit need isn't paying attention.

There's 31 other teams that don't think he's worth much, wouldn't get too excited about this.

More of an indictment to both Scott and Clement. Neither looked good week 1. Also they might have been planning to bring Freeman in the entire time and were just waiting for week 1 to be over to sign him to a non-guaranteed salary for this season.

3 hours ago, nipples said:

They only had one healthy back on the active roster by the end of last Sunday (and it’s debatable whether Clement himself was even 100%).  Not sure where you’re thinking they have an over abundance of running backs. 

Oh good thing they can go back in time and add him to last years roster...

Right now we have 4 running backs on the 53 and 2 more in the PS. What we don’t have is an OL that can block for them. 

2 hours ago, Devaster said:

More of an indictment to both Scott and Clement. Neither looked good week 1. Also they might have been planning to bring Freeman in the entire time and were just waiting for week 1 to be over to sign him to a non-guaranteed salary for this season.

How much of that is on the RBs though (vs playing behind a makeshift OL trying to open holes against what is indeed a very good DL)?