Eagles Set to Host RB Devonta Freeman for a Visit

time2rock

5 hours ago, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

There's 31 other teams that don't think he's worth much, wouldn't get too excited about this.

Who said anything about getting excited. He's a considerably better RB than Scott and CC and able to carry the load if Sanders is out. The only reason he wasn't signed months ago is because of his asking price, not because he isn't good. You fail.

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't either.  This reminds me of having added Tate a couple years ago thinking he was "the missing piece" (although that was done via a trade at the trade deadline).  He clearly didn't make a difference.  And I agree with needing any and all cap space to roll over to 2021.  But I'd bet Howie and Doug think differently and believe we are legit contenders and aren't ready to throw in the towel after one week.  

Fair enough but Tate won us a playoff game and who knows what would have happened if the Eagles had kept him instead of Agholor.  Freeman still has some tread on the tires and would be a veteran back in a young room.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Get it done. Anyone who doesn't think RB is a legit need isn't paying attention.

Agreed. When Blount and Ajayi went bye bye I was VERY concerned......hasn't been the same since....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Fair enough but Tate won us a playoff game and who knows what would have happened if the Eagles had kept him instead of Agholor.  Freeman still has some tread on the tires and would be a veteran back in a young room.

I understand Tate helped us to win a playoff game.  By "didn’t make a difference” I was referring to securing a Lombardi trophy.  Last year I would argue we clearly weren’t legitimate championship contenders even though we made the playoffs.  It’s one thing to get into the postseason and win a game and another to compete with the elite of the elite (IMHO of course).  🙂

I feel the same way about this year’s roster.  I don’t think we have the horses to compete with Seattle, NO, KC, Baltimore, etc.  I like Freeman and think he’ll help but don’t think he makes the difference between making the post season (potentially) and winning it all.

21 hours ago, weko said:

We sure could use a bigger back

Yessindeed . . . haven't had a  'TRAIN'  since Blount in '17. 

10 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Get it done. Anyone who doesn't think RB is a legit need isn't paying attention.

Agree. It's one of several major holes in the roster.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DBW said:

I hope he can help block. 

A30BCC1F-065F-4D16-BB28-8092B10A69F0.jpeg

Bet they wouldn’t have let that happen to Nicky Six!  :ph34r:

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Oh good thing they can go back in time and add him to last years roster...

Right now we have 4 running backs on the 53 and 2 more in the PS. What we don’t have is an OL that can block for them. 

Who said anything about last year? I said last Sunday, genius. No Sanders to start the game, Scott went at eventually leaving only Clement. I mean yeah technically Huntley was available too but had been with the team for what, a week at most? No way he knew enough of the offense to get much playing time yet. 

If they sign Freeman either Clement or Huntley are gone. What is the problem with that? You’re acting like we are just stuck with talented running backs, which is FAR from the truth. 

38 minutes ago, DBW said:

I miss him 

He was the perfect teammate here.  He wasn’t perfect (like Carson he had/has his share of issues), but he was humble, competitive, and came up HUGE in the biggest moments ... yeah, I miss him too.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Who said anything about getting excited. He's a considerably better RB than Scott and CC and able to carry the load if Sanders is out. The only reason he wasn't signed months ago is because of his asking price, not because he isn't good. You fail.

I think there’s a serious hole in the running game and was pissed they didn’t bring in a vet RB in the off-season.  This isn’t just about money, he clearly doesn’t have much to offer if he’s unsigned through week 2.  If someone signs him and he produces I’ll eat crow, but until then, you fail.

3 hours ago, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

I think there’s a serious hole in the running game and was pissed they didn’t bring in a vet RB in the off-season.  This isn’t just about money, he clearly doesn’t have much to offer if he’s unsigned through week 2.  If someone signs him and he produces I’ll eat crow, but until then, you fail.

656 yards rushing and 410 receiving yards in 14 games last season says otherwise you big dummy. Seattle was about to sign him months ago but they ended up getting Hyde at a significantly cheaper price. This is common knowledge, go google it. Him still being available at this point is completely irrelevant especially in relation to his ability to carry the load if necessary which Scott and CC can't do. The only person with nothing to offer is you to this board with stupid takes like this.

Howie didn't do a good job with the RB depth and also the OL depth.  If they sign Freeman, then it means they misevaluated their RB situation in camp or they just wanted to sign him on the cheap at the expense of having him here at the start of the season. Either way, Howie and the coaches didn't manage the roster well.  Also, is Freeman a better option than Holyfield?  I know Freeman has played longer, but is he significantly better at this point and is he going to be able to stay healthy?  We have a bunch of scat backs, but not someone who can stay healthy and handle a heavier workload.

2 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Howie didn't do a good job with the RB depth and also the OL depth.  If they sign Freeman, then it means they misevaluated their RB situation in camp or they just wanted to sign him on the cheap at the expense of having him here at the start of the season. Either way, Howie and the coaches didn't manage the roster well.  Also, is Freeman a better option than Holyfield?  I know Freeman has played longer, but is he significantly better at this point and is he going to be able to stay healthy?  We have a bunch of scat backs, but not someone who can stay healthy and handle a heavier workload.

So here's my view. Firstly, they did manage to get Warren, Killins and Holyfield on to the PS so I guess going with 3 RBs was validated by this decision. They could call on any of those 3 at any time. My issue with that is the guys they went for on the roster. Scott isn't a proven #2 and Clement I just don't think is very good. 

As for signing Freeman, at this point I think he eats to valuable cap space that we need to roll over. They'd be better off giving one of those young guys a chance to see what we have for the future. Freeman is a 1 year option most likely and isn't going to move the needle much. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

they did manage to get Warren, Killins and Holyfield on to the PS so I guess going with 3 RBs was validated by this decision. They could call on any of those 3 at any time. My issue with that is the guys they went for on the roster. Scott isn't a proven #2 and Clement I just don't think is very good. As for signing Freeman, at this point I think he eats to valuable cap space that we need to roll over. They'd be better off giving one of those young guys a chance to see what we have for the future. Freeman is a 1 year option most likely and isn't going to move the needle much. 

Here's what I think: all of this RB speculation is fascinating, engaging and informative . . . but it's all moot !

Until the problems on the OL are solved and we can actually run-block ain't no one we have (or can get) that's gonna overcome a porous OL.

Washington's D was penetrating the OL on almost every play, including screens, runs & passing. OK, we're getting Lane back so that helps keep the DL out of Carson's face but what about his blind side? Peters has a bum knee that can go sideways at any moment . . . is he even gonna play this week?

I've said it before, I'll say it again:  It All Starts Up Front!  Until we see improvement up front nothing good is gonna happen.   

After yesterday there's no way they should be bringing in Freeman. Sanders was great and Scott looked pretty good too. No need to bring in Freeman. Just cut Clement and give one of the younger guys on the PS a chance. 

On 9/19/2020 at 11:40 PM, time2rock said:

I understand Tate helped us to win a playoff game.  By "didn’t make a difference” I was referring to securing a Lombardi trophy.  Last year I would argue we clearly weren’t legitimate championship contenders even though we made the playoffs.  It’s one thing to get into the postseason and win a game and another to compete with the elite of the elite (IMHO of course).  🙂

I feel the same way about this year’s roster.  I don’t think we have the horses to compete with Seattle, NO, KC, Baltimore, etc.  I like Freeman and think he’ll help but don’t think he makes the difference between making the post season (potentially) and winning it all.

playoffs.gif

• Haha 1

Well it looks like the Giants are next in line to take a look at Freeman since it is expected Barkley will miss the remainder of the 2020 season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/21/giants-to-work-out-devonta-freeman/

Something tells me he doesn't leave their facility without a contract.  

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well it’s highly unlikely this guy is coming here now. 

Yeah i can't see it. Why on earth would they at this point?