Reasons for optimism

ManchesterEagle

Last week was soul destroying as an Eagles fan. But I like our chances to win this game.

1) Johnson and Sanders being back will be a huge boost. Johnson is one of the best tackles in the game and Sanders is comfortably our best back.

2) If Barnett ,Graham and Hargrave both play our D Line is pretty deep and could dominate. If Sweat's good game last week was an indication of a breakout then all of the sudden the line becomes legit. Hargrave is really good.

3) I like the match-ups - Slay on Woods, Robey-Coleman on Kupp.

4) Ramsey is obviously really good, but we don't have a true number 1 receiver for him to lock down. He tends not to be as good against the pure speed receivers (Jackson/Reagor). Maybe he'll guard JJAW :). Either way we have a number of targets and Wentz can throw away from him.

5) Donald is terrifying, but they will double him. The rest of their pass rush isn't as good as Washington though. I think DP and Wentz took the Skins likely. Hopefully they will gameplan to get the ball out early and often like how they did at the end of last season.

Birds win - 24-17

#1 reason for optimism - Jalen Hurts is active as the #2 QB.  If Wentz has another meltdown like last week its time to pull him.

24 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

#1 reason for optimism - Jalen Hurts is active as the #2 QB.  If Wentz has another meltdown like last week its time to pull him.

🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

They would never pull Wentz in game 2, until -  err, unless he gets another injury.   The front office loves being right, even if they're not.  With that huge contract and all they have invested in Wentz to this point, there is just no way.   Maybe he can get them to the SB but if not, he's the hill they'll die on.

I'm speechless. I dont understand what happened? Doug has owned Mcvay. The eagles under Doug has won after big loses. 

I guess the rams switching up DC helped. Was Wade that bad?

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Sanders is legit so there's that. Reagor looks the part so that's another. Other than that? I'm not seeing a lot.

Goedert and Lane are beasts as well

Just now, EagleMatt said:

Goedert and Lane are beasts as well

Goedert wasn't great today but yeah I mean the future at TE is bright. Lane was really good today too so yeah there's that. 

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Are we still optimistic or are we getting to the stage of acceptance? 

I don't see how they avoid a 1-5 start

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Goedert wasn't great today but yeah I mean the future at TE is bright. Lane was really good today too so yeah there's that. 

He can only be good if the passer can get it to him. Ya he probably should've caught that high ball in the first half but we know what we got in him. Hes got a bit of Celek & Ertz in him. Tough as nails and athletic.

20 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

As of right now, they're still in the hunt for the #1 overall pick.

And then Howie selects a rugby player that loves to fight fires. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Last week was soul destroying as an Eagles fan. But I like our chances to win this game.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Eagles have half-a-team, we have no defense what-so-ever so don't expect many wins this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Are we still optimistic or are we getting to the stage of acceptance? 

I think we're 2 weeks away from playing good football collectively. I believe we should win next week, but expect to see a little more "ugly."

Just now, brkmsn said:

I think we're 2 weeks away from playing good football collectively. I believe we should win next week, but expect to see a little more "ugly."

We lost two very winnable games against beatable opponents. Next week is another winnable game, but this is not a good football team. Everyone had the same no preseason issues so that’s not an excuse. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

We lost two very winnable games against beatable opponents. Next week is another winnable game, but this is not a good football team. Everyone had the same no preseason issues so that’s not an excuse. 

Regardless of the lack of preseason in the NFL, we just aren't prepared yet. The play-calling was better this week, Wentz didn't hold the football this week, and the O-Line was improved this week. Hargrave and Barnett returned this week and looked rusty from all the camp they missed. They should play a little better after a couple games. Lane Johnson didn't seem to aggravate his ankle and that's good. Sanders provided a spark on offense. There were still plenty of problems. Wentz still isn't where he needs to be, but he corrected one area that hurt us badly last week. I expect him to continue to improve each week. 

Listen....even if the NFL had a preseason this year, Doug would have been scared to get the offensive starters the work they needed anyway, so the lack of preseason isn't "an excuse." I'm merely stating that this team is still behind the curve in preparation. Doug needs to stop giving vets days off in training camp for rest or minor injuries. He needs to stop trying to "take it easy." This team always begins the year less prepared than they should be and digs a hole to climb out of later. Injuries happen and all the "protective measures" they've tried to prevent them early haven't changed anything. So let's concentrate on getting better, instead of staying healthy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

And then Howie selects a rugby player that loves to fight fires. 

Lol and runs .3 slower than his positional avg

• Haha 1