Reasons for optimism

ManchesterEagle

5 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

Second wave of COVID may cancel the season?

Damn it, beat me to it!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

We lost two very winnable games against beatable opponents.

The Rams are playing good, especially on defense.

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

The Rams are playing good, especially on defense.

The Eagles on offense moved the ball. The run game was moving and the line did it’s job even after Seumalo went down. They made bad decisions (like going for two) and had bad turnovers that killed drives. The Eagles are killing themselves with bad turnovers and costly mistakes. This defense on the other hand can’t get turnovers and are just bad. 

31 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

Second wave of COVID may cancel the season?

We can only hope.

If we are horrible this year which looks like strong possibility, Howie and Schwartz will get fired. That’s all I got. 

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

This defense on the other hand can’t get turnovers and are just bad. 

They are up and down. They make a couple good plays and then allow a team a new set of downs. Nobody on the defense should be happy right now. We have quite a few guys this year we didn't have last year or didn't play much last year and this group hasn't really come together yet. The leaders should emerge and we can only hope that the unit as a whole responds positively. 

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

As of right now, they're still in the hunt for the #1 overall pick.

doesn't matter where the team picks if they don't have good talent evaluators 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

They are up and down. They make a couple good plays and then allow a team a new set of downs. Nobody on the defense should be happy right now. We have quite a few guys this year we didn't have last year or didn't play much last year and this group hasn't really come together yet. The leaders should emerge and we can only hope that the unit as a whole responds positively. 

I feel like Malcom Jenkins was that leader and right now they have no one they can look to for that guidance. Slay can’t be that guy, because he just got here and frankly he came from a loser organization. The only person they could turn to is Cox and he’s been just as bad as the rest of the defense. 

16 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

If we are horrible this year which looks like strong possibility, Howie and Schwartz will get fired. That’s all I got. 

Schwartz's contract expires after this season. No firing needed. I think it would take more than a bad season here to get Howie out.

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Schwartz's contract expires after this season. No firing needed. I think it would take more than a bad season here to get Howie out.

I agree. Lurie loves Howie and he’ll have the whole Covid excuse. 

i wouldn’t even care if they keep Howie in his current position, just keep him away from the draft. 

• Like 1

Just now, Road to Victory said:

I agree. Lurie loves Howie and he’ll have the whole Covid excuse. 

i wouldn’t even care if they keep Howie in his current position, just keep him away from the draft. 

It's not just the draft though. It's looking like his "cap genius" status is heading to be knocked down a few pegs.

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It's not just the draft though. It's looking like his "cap genius" status is heading to be knocked down a few pegs.

Definitely, they have serious cap problems but that also goes back to poor drafting. When you can’t draft, you rely on free agency which is what the Eagles have done for years. Now, it finally caught up to them - they have very few young, cheap players and no cap space.

12 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Definitely, they have serious cap problems but that also goes back to poor drafting. When you can’t draft, you rely on free agency which is what the Eagles have done for years. Now, it finally caught up to them - they have very few young, cheap players and no cap space.

You’re not wrong, but some of our biggest contracts are our own homegrown talent like Wentz and Cox. Plus, we originally got Alshon on a decent one year deal that we then extended and reworked into a horrid contract. 

Either way, we need better decision making in player personnel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles on offense moved the ball. The run game was moving and the line did it’s job even after Seumalo went down. They made bad decisions (like going for two) and had bad turnovers that killed drives. The Eagles are killing themselves with bad turnovers and costly mistakes. This defense on the other hand can’t get turnovers and are just bad. 

Yeah, we ran the ball well and the OL gave Wentz the time to do whatever, unfortunately he chose the high percentage passes, probably because he's not feeling his intermediate to deep passing accuracy......maybe he'll get that confidence back next week.