DL, CB not the big problem. Gym Shorts is!

Portyansky

1 hour ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I NEVER wanted this guy here.....never. I was right the whole time because the defense has been crap his entire tenure.....the defense is the laughing stock of the league....

Our defense has been ranked better than our offense 3 out 4 years. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

I mean this in the most respectful way but I could care less what it has been rated. I hate his schemes completely...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

120069101_746679612863503_396734661799266313_o.jpg

Been saying this for 3 years.

Rushing 4 dropping 7 every play in the same zone every play is basically saying, this is the defense were playing come and beat it and opposing offenses say ummm... Ok!

I've played more complex defensive schemes in pee wee football.

Schwartz song and dance is as boring and predictable as his defense.

His scheme is predicated on the front 4 stopping the run on the way to the qb when they neither stop the run or get to the qb the back 7 doesn't have the talent not the complexity in scheme to make up for the lack of production from front 4.

If Schwartz had buddy's front 4 of reggie white clyde jerome brown Mike pitts then it might work but his line is 3 DL 30 or older and a few younger jags.

If ones scheme is dependant on having 4 all pros on the D line then it's a failed scheme.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I mean this in the most respectful way but I could care less what it has been rated. I hate his schemes completely...

Well fortunately the FO cares more about the stats/rankings/results than how much you hate his style of play. 

10 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

Well fortunately the FO cares more about the stats/rankings/results than how much you hate his style of play. 

10 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

Fortunately, eh? I am trying to see what point you were trying to prove here. I dont like gym shorts....I wanted him out of here like ten years ago. I am saying that as a fan...no one said anything about the FO but the defense is garbage and looking at them play 10 yds off the receivers is mind boggling and the linebackers are awful. I said what I said

My father is an acquaintance of a former Lions player.  He played 10 years under head coaches Bobby Ross, Gary Moeller,  Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci, Dick Jauron, Rod Marinelli and lastly Jim Schwartz.    We have never heard any thing negative said about 6 of the 7.   He has nothing positive to say about Schwartz.  Apparently, arrogant and unqualified is not an effective coaching style. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I NEVER wanted this guy here.....never. I was right the whole time because the defense has been crap his entire tenure.....the defense is the laughing stock of the league....

Neither did I. I said it from the beginning he coaches an undisciplined team and is an arsehole. The fact that he coached with Jim Washburn is all I needed to know that he is a jackarse. 

• Like 2

Jim Johnson was the best DC in Eagles history. He was a better defensive mind than Buddy Ryan who won two super bowls as DC,  one of them was the '85 bears.  Johnson was brilliant and miss him now more than ever.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wtfcares said:

9 hours ago, kinger said:

Jim Johnson was the best DC in Eagles history. He was a better defensive mind than Buddy Ryan who won two super bowls as DC,  one of them was the '85 bears.  Johnson was brilliant and miss him now more than ever.   

I loved JJ but he had some serious talent to work with. The D also came up short in the playoffs at times.

Schwartz has averaged conceding 17 points in the playoffs. Including the Super Bowl. That’s really good.

The Rams performance was unacceptable. But I’m fed up of people expecting Schwartz to produce a top 5 D with a bunch of low round scrubs.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I loved JJ but he had some serious talent to work with. The D also came up short in the playoffs at times.

Schwartz has averaged conceding 17 points in the playoffs. Including the Super Bowl. That’s really good.

The Rams performance was unacceptable. But I’m fed up of people expecting Schwartz to produce a top 5 D with a bunch of low round scrubs.

But you must admit that some of the decisions he makes and some of the scheme related issues are absolutely on Schwartz.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Nobody expects Schwartz to produce a top 5 defense, like the rest of the team he's managed that once in 4 years, but it's widely known that Schwartz has autonomy on the defense, so it was Schwartz and Schwartz alone made the roster decisions to let Jenkins, Bradham, Darby, Douglas and Jones walk in the same off season and now his defense is allowing 32 points a game,  the Rams absolutely abused our entire secondary not called Slay and someone has to carry the can for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Nobody expects Schwartz to produce a top 5 defense, like the rest of the team he's managed that once in 4 years, but it's widely known that Schwartz has autonomy on the defense, so it was Schwartz and Schwartz alone made the roster decisions to let Jenkins, Bradham, Darby, Douglas and Jones walk in the same off season and now his defense is allowing 32 points a game,  the Rams absolutely abused our entire secondary not called Slay and someone has to carry the can for that.

Disagreed on 100% autonomy. Sure he may have been the one that decided to cut Jones, Darby, Douglas, Etc. But I can almost guarantee he would have wanted Jenkins back given how much he liked using him all over the field but it was Howie or whoever else that decided he wasn’t worth the money bringing back.

I also would be willing to bet anything Schwartz would have preferred drafting Patrick Queen instead of Reagor this year. Or other defensive players in the 1st rounds of previous drafts instead of going offense every year since Barnett. 

I think Schwartz has full autonomy on what he gameplans and how we plays the defense, but to say he has full autonomy on personnel is ridiculous. Any coach would always choose to have better quality players starting than some late round/undrafted players. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But you must admit that some of the decisions he makes and some of the scheme related issues are absolutely on Schwartz.

Absolutely. I’m not giving him a pass for the Rams game or the poor showing in the Super Bowl. 

But he takes a lot of abuse for say the sticks D, which works most of the time. But fans hate it, because it isn’t aggressive.

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

3 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Disagreed on 100% autonomy. Sure he may have been the one that decided to cut Jones, Darby, Douglas, Etc. But I can almost guarantee he would have wanted Jenkins back given how much he liked using him all over the field but it was Howie or whoever else that decided he wasn’t worth the money bringing back.

I also would be willing to bet anything Schwartz would have preferred drafting Patrick Queen instead of Reagor this year. Or other defensive players in the 1st rounds of previous drafts instead of going offense every year since Barnett. 

I think Schwartz has full autonomy on what he gameplans and how we plays the defense, but to say he has full autonomy on personnel is ridiculous. Any coach would always choose to have better quality players starting than some late round/undrafted players. 

I’m calling BS on this. Schwartz may have an input on personnel, but do you really think he has said ignore the D in the draft for so long? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Howie and Doug are always going to control the overall draft board, but I guarantee if Jim Schwartz wants any of those corners or Jenkins extended, it happens.

9 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Howie and Doug are always going to control the overall draft board, but I guarantee if Jim Schwartz wants any of those corners or Jenkins extended, it happens.

BS. If Schwartz has any genuine control, do you think he lets them ignore the D in the draft for so long? Lets them replace Jenkins/Darby etc with scrubs?

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Absolutely. I’m not giving him a pass for the Rams game or the poor showing in the Super Bowl. 

But he takes a lot of abuse for say the sticks D, which works most of the time. But fans hate it, because it isn’t aggressive.

Does it work most the time? I'm not sure I'd go quite that far...

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

No one would have wanted those **** corners on the team. That’s not the point.

The point you tried to say is it’s Schwartz fault because he has control over who the players we have on defense and that’s not true. If he did, he would have chosen to draft someone like Queen instead of starting Edwards and Gerry. Or kept a quality safety like Jenkins instead of converting a corner to safety in a year where there’s barely any offseason programs. 

Ultimately like you said it’s Howie and Doug that have control. And they’ve dealt Schwartz a bunch of scrubs to start on half the defense. They’ve done this over and over by ignoring the defense and using basically all our high draft picks on offensive players. Even with that Schwartz has produced a better ranked defense than our offense for 3 of the 4 past years. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

3rd down defense conversion ranking:

2017 - 3rd in the league 

2018 - 8th in the league

2019 - 5th in the league 

Yes as much as we all hate watching the sticks defense. It does in fact work well on 3rd down. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

1 minute ago, wtfcares said:

3rd down defense conversion ranking:

2017 - 3rd in the league 

2018 - 8th in the league

2019 - 5th in the league 

Yes as much as we all hate watching the sticks defense. It does in fact work. 

Yeah exactly-fans hate it because it’s soft and gives up yards. But it does work and get the D off the field.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah exactly-fans hate it because it’s soft and gives up yards. But it does work and get the D off the field.

Fair enough I didn't realise that. I guess views are slightly skewed by the big disappointing plays right...

• Like 2