Slay is the real deal. But we need 1 more...

Portyansky

After 3 games I have been very happy with his play. I know its early. But he had two awesome plays against Green yesterday and has shut down others. We need 1 more capable CB and I think we are good there.

• Like 1

That replay looked nasty. Thought he broke something. I swear one part of his arm was going the wrong way

Respect for coming back and making plays

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

That replay looked nasty. Thought he broke something. I swear one part of his arm was going the wrong way

Respect for coming back and making plays

Oh yea. Definitely thought we lost him for the year cause that's our luck. 

Yea. We could have had Kristian Fulton over Hurts, but Howie wants to be the smartest guy in the room. 

After failing with Asamougha, DRC, Maxwell, Williams, McElvin, Fletcher, Darby and all the bucket load of wasted drafted picks we finally got one.  Too bad we are going to waste his good years as the rest of the roster bar a few decent players is crap

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Because of his play, Slay gets thrown at less. Which = less opportunities for INT's. No one in that secondary has ball skills beside Slay. They cut Douglas who was their best DB playmaker + tackler.

Many of us have said all along that the team doesn’t have a 2nd outside corner.  It’s pretty much Slay and a collection of slot corners.  

• Like 3

He looked really good. Got scared when he left with the injury but came back and made some big plays against Green late in the game. 

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

Many of us have said all along that the team doesn’t have a 2nd outside corner.  It’s pretty much Slay and a collection of slot corners.  

Yeah and Slay probably is making Maddox look a lot worse because teams are going after him. 

• Like 1

If I had to pick between another corner (which we can't afford due to the cap situation) and a new DC, I'd take a new DC for sure. Schwartz's defense has always been a corner killer. I feel bad for Slay who's a great corner stuck in a god awful defensive scheme. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

If I had to pick between another corner (which we can't afford due to the cap situation) and a new DC, I'd take a new DC for sure. Schwartz's defense has always been a corner killer. I feel bad for Slay who's a great corner stuck in a god awful defensive scheme. 

But Slay is actually performing... part of the issue is that there's also been a lack of any talent at CB. Maddox is not an outside corner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah and Slay probably is making Maddox look a lot worse because teams are going after him. 

Rather than sign NRC they should have added another outside corner then have Maddox and LeBlanc inside.  The roster mismanagement is just ridiculous.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Oh yea. Definitely thought we lost him for the year cause that's our luck. 

Yea. We could have had Kristian Fulton over Hurts, but Howie wants to be the smartest guy in the room. 

Yeah but with Wentz continuing to regress I’m starting to think the Hurts pick was actually a smart move. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yeah but with Wentz continuing to regress I’m starting to think the Hurts pick was actually a smart move. 

THIS

I am agreeing here....it actually makes so much sense. I still can't believe how MUCH wentz is regressing. Its like looking at a HS QB

46 minutes ago, nipples said:

You really think there is any chance they bench Wentz any time soon?  

31 minutes ago, time2rock said:

You really think there is any chance they bench Wentz any time soon?  

Define "soon”.  If he keeps having multiple interception games on the way to an 0-5-1 record? Yes I absolutely think there is a chance. 

17 minutes ago, nipples said:

Define "soon”.  If he keeps having multiple interception games on the way to an 0-5-1 record? Yes I absolutely think there is a chance. 

Doug seems as stubborn as they come and would probably stick to his guns in having his QB work his way through these issues by continuing to play.  At 0-5-1 the season is over anyway so it wouldn't hurt the team to let Wentz keep playing at that point (while many of us would argue if the season is over then play Hurts to see what he can do).  Anyway, I didn't want to get off topic here (since this thread is about Slay and the other CBs).  

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But Slay is actually performing... part of the issue is that there's also been a lack of any talent at CB. Maddox is not an outside corner. 

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Rather than sign NRC they should have added another outside corner then have Maddox and LeBlanc inside.  The roster mismanagement is just ridiculous.  

Exactly this. Just a league average outside corner would have been fine. Maddox has always been really bad on the outside. I’m really surprised we cut Douglas. I’m not a big fan but he can play there and we have pretty much zero depth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Exactly this. Just a league average outside corner would have been fine. Maddox has always been really bad on the outside. I’m really surprised we cut Douglas. I’m not a big fan but he can play there and we have pretty much zero depth.

Was curious about Douglas so looked up his stats for this year. In the first three weeks, which he started the last two games and played about 50% of snaps in the first game, he’s allowed 11 catches for 93 yards and no TDs, with an opposing QB rating of 78.8 on passes thrown his way. 

Maddox on the other hand he allowed 14 catches for 187 yards, 1 TD and a QB rating against him of 122.0. 

For comparison, Slay has allowed 13 catches, 114 yards, 0 TDs and a 76.3 QB rating against him. That’s while primarily covering the opponents top receiver. 

All those numbers according to Pro Football Reference. And shows me what I’ve been saying all along...

1. Schwartz scheme is the number one issue with the coverage. 

2. Slay is really, really good to be performing the way he is despite the garbage defensive scheme. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

I dont understand....I thought Leblanc played pretty well at slot CB yet it seems they keep putting guys in front of him for playing time.  Also didn't Maddox play better at Safety?  Maybe put him there instead of Mills.

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

Completely agree. I liked the NRC signing at the time but it made no actual sense given we have strap who has played well. 

5 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I dont understand....I thought Leblanc played pretty well at slot CB yet it seems they keep putting guys in front of him for playing time.  Also didn't Maddox play better at Safety?  Maybe put him there instead of Mills.

Good point about Maddox at S.  And definitely agree LeBlanc I thought played rather well at slot CB as well.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'm not sure I'd agree about Douglas but yeah I mean a lot of us feared Maddox would suck on the outside. 

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure I'd agree about Douglas but yeah I mean a lot of us feared Maddox would suck on the outside. 

Did you happen to read my post above? Small sample of 3 games, but Douglas is performing at the level of a legit starting CB so far.