Who misses AR now?

Bob Manigan

Yes the eagles have a SB since AR left but which team is better suited for the future? I would have kept AR then and I would keep him now but Philly ran him out.  Blue look okay his success and Philly failure outside one year.

• Like 1

Just saw this.  I said at the time it was a bad move getting rid of him.  In retrospect, should have put him on sabbatical from coaching for a year to regroup after the death of his son and reinvent himself and the team.

AR has a generational QB...2 of the fastest WRs in the League in Hardman and Hill who can actually catch a football...A good rookie RB in Edwards Helaire and an all-pro TE in Kelce.  Let's not get carried away with nostalgia.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bob Manigan said:

Yes the eagles have a SB since AR left but which team is better suited for the future? I would have kept AR then and I would keep him now but Philly ran him out.  Blue look okay his success and Philly failure outside one year.

It's easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight, but if you look at the surrounding context of the end of Andy Reid's tenure with the team, a variety of factors justified his departure at that time. It was a decision that ended up being mutually beneficial as a change of scenery helped him tremendously and of course we ended up with SB52.

1) Players were starting to tune him out after the 2011 Dream Team disaster - On paper that team looked amazing, but the infamous decision to put Juan Castillo at DC with all those guys on defense was the football equivalent to giving a 15 year old the keys to a Ferrari. Sure there's a chance he doesn't crash and burn, but why would you do that in the first place?

2) Consistently poor coaching in the playoffs - Reid had developed a reputation (at least on the EMB) for being a great regular season coach but terrible playoff coach, and somehow Jim Johnson's defenses also managed to underperform too in those games.

3) Emotional burnout - Unlike #1 and #2, this is obviously understandable given the tragic loss of his son, and one can only imagine how hard he fought through to still carry on and be a head coach when many would take some personal time off. 

You could probably name more reasons, but I would say those 3 are among the biggest factors.

For what it's worth, Jeffrey Lurie has never allowed an Eagles HC to post 3 consecutive losing seasons with the team. Ray Rhodes, Andy Reid, and Chip Kelly were all let go after their 2nd consecutive losing season. I would be curious to see if he holds Doug Pederson to the same standard despite the Super Bowl win?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

AR has a generational QB...2 of the fastest WRs in the League in Hardman and Hill who can actually catch a football...A good rookie RB in Edwards Helaire and an all-pro TE in Kelce.  Let's not get carried away with nostalgia.

The generational QB was drafted no. 10 overall.  AR traded up to pick him.  Who was responsible for drafting Hardman and Hill?  For that matter, who drafted LeSean McCoy, DJax and JMac?  These players did not fall onto the Chief's laps - they were selected by the Reid controlled front office.

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

For what it's worth, Jeffrey Lurie has never allowed an Eagles HC to post 3 consecutive losing seasons with the team. Ray Rhodes, Andy Reid, and Chip Kelly were all let go after their 2nd consecutive losing season. I would be curious to see if he holds Doug Pederson to the same standard despite the Super Bowl win?

Reid never posted two consecutive losing seasons.  2011 - the Dream Team year - where the team management pretty much pushed Reid aside, was a 8-8 year.  Reid messed up with the Juan Castillo as DC move, along with signing Howard Mudd and the DL coach whose name escapes me at the moment.  He also would not have had as bad a year in 2012 if it did not become apparent that he was going to be replaced.

6 hours ago, Procus said:

The generational QB was drafted no. 10 overall.  AR traded up to pick him.  Who was responsible for drafting Hardman and Hill?  For that matter, who drafted LeSean McCoy, DJax and JMac?  These players did not fall onto the Chief's laps - they were selected by the Reid controlled front office.

You really think Reid was good at drafting? Cause 2005-2011 disagree with you. 

knew it wouldnt be long before this moronic discussion came about. 

reid needed to go. period. 

/thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

You really think Reid was good at drafting? Cause 2005-2011 disagree with you. 

He had some meh years.  But he did draft McCoy, DJax, JMac, Celek, Kelce, Foles (wanted to draft Russell Wilson in Round 2 but Roseman screwed that up) acquired Jason Peters, drafted Brandon Graham, Trent Cole, Todd Herramens, signed Asante Samuel.  Plenty of whiffs, yes, but plenty of good players - pro bowl players - as well, and the JP acquisition resulted in a Hall of Famer.  Not bad.

And but for his last year, he had only one losing season after his first year - the TO season.

He was no slouch - but he was getting stale.  Reinvented himself nicely in KC, and the Eagles look to be in the toilet for at least the next 2-3 years.  Who knows what could have been if Wilson was drafted in Round 2.

I'll let you have the last word.

52 minutes ago, downundermike said:

People act like Patrick Mahomme's just fall off trees.

you cant have this thread and not also have the mcnabb vs mahommes debate. its a direct cause and effect. 

16 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

well he did draft them.. So in retrospect he would have drafted them here in Philly.

5 minutes ago, Sturm said:

well he did draft them.. So in retrospect he would have drafted them here in Philly.

yeah because he wouldve had the same draft position, same needs, same chips to trade up. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

yeah because he wouldve had the same draft position, same needs, same chips to trade up. 

Yup correct!

2 hours ago, Sturm said:

No he didn't. He has a GM that runs the draft there. It was part of his hiring conditions. AR is really good at getting O-linemen. Not so much for WR, remember? The GM did that in KC.

51 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

No he didn't. He has a GM that runs the draft there. It was part of his hiring conditions. AR is really good at getting O-linemen. Not so much for WR, remember? The GM did that in KC.

Keep up with the news - that changed when Dorsey was pushed out.  It's AR's show completely now.

• Haha 1

Doug is just like Andy. Now I would take Andy's very nice OC that is designing his plays. 

7 minutes ago, Procus said:

Keep up with the news - that changed when Dorsey was pushed out.  It's AR's show completely now.

Well it is now for sure. Dorsey did however handle the 2017 and prior drafts, so there's that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Procus said:

Reid never posted two consecutive losing seasons.  2011 - the Dream Team year - where the team management pretty much pushed Reid aside, was a 8-8 year.  Reid messed up with the Juan Castillo as DC move, along with signing Howard Mudd and the DL coach whose name escapes me at the moment.  He also would not have had as bad a year in 2012 if it did not become apparent that he was going to be replaced.

This might be semantics but I would consider 8-8, 7-9, etc... as losing seasons (unless you sneak into the playoffs with that record)

Chip Kelly brought the Eagles to 10-6 season two years in a row, but the latter season did not result in a playoff berth. I'd actually consider that a "losing season" as well since they couldn't win the division and grab a playoff spot.

17 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

umm you wrong mate, Andy has been calling the shoots for few years now.

getting mahommes was key. regardless of where brady was drafted vs how reid & co. got patrick, the end results could be very similar. 

3 hours ago, Sturm said:

umm you wrong mate, Andy has been calling the shoots for few years now.

Their success is a combo. Dorsey was let go in June of 2017. He ran the drafts through 2017. AR was extended and has run it all since then. Mahomes and T.Hill were Dorsey picks. That's all I'm pointing out.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:27 PM, Bob Manigan said:

Reid only wins because he has Mahomes. Mahomes is the greatest QB in the NFL at the moment. Sure give the Eagles Mahomes with Reid and we are set.