Eagles sign Hakeem Butler off CAR Practice Squad...as a TE

Outlaw

Im not very surprised. They seam to like turning big WRs into TEs. I did like Butler in the draft last year. Lets see what the kid can do in his new role. 

Butler needs to up his strength to play TE. We can play WR and be better than Whiteside immediately

• Like 1

Can be are next Jeffreys with that build IMO,same speed little taller and weighs more.... wonder why nobody kept him. 

10 hours ago, Doyoubelieve#20 said:

Can be are next Jeffreys with that build IMO,same speed little taller and weighs more.... wonder why nobody kept him. 

Apparently he cant catch... Should be better than JJAW still..

2 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Apparently he cant catch... Should be better than JJAW still..

Sounds about right... Those are the WRs the Eagles love. 

29 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Pretty much a no-risk/high reward potential scenario.  Good move.

Yes sir.  Use him in motion in the Trey Burton role, and then transition him to take over for Jeffrey.  Butler, Ward and Reagor ( plus the other speed guys ) would be a great WR combo.  Got a big physical guy, reliable get open guy and a bunch of speed guys that you can use in different ways.

WR depth chart next year should be Reagor, Ward, Hightower, Butler, Watkins and Burnett.

If they are using him to catch passes, then call him a TE or WR really does not matter.  If blocking is involved, then it is a different thing.  But this team, most NFL teams for that matter, values receiving skills more than blocking ability.  In-season conversion is not easy to do anyway, when you don't have the time to teach and learn the new techniques.

31 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

If they are using him to catch passes, then call him a TE or WR really does not matter.  If blocking is involved, then it is a different thing.  But this team, most NFL teams for that matter, values receiving skills more than blocking ability.  In-season conversion is not easy to do anyway, when you don't have the time to teach and learn the new techniques.

I can't see them using him to block. I don't think you bring in a guy that's undersized to block for you as a TE. Certainly not when the guy he's potentially covering for (Goedert) is so good at it. 

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

Yeah, can't catch at all.  

Hakeem Butler GIF by CyclonesTV - Find & Share on GIPHY

Yeah thats nice, JJAW sure could catch in college as well... 

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I expect nothing from this signing.

Nope.  Nothing.  Not a thing.  Nada.  

Goedert should be ready to return in a few weeks.  At that time I expect Butler to be released (if not before then).  

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Nope.  Nothing.  Not a thing.  Nada.  

Goedert should be ready to return in a few weeks.  At that time I expect Butler to be released (if not before then).  

Unless... JJAW has been released by then? Or Alshon has been traded. Then perhaps if he's shown something they keep him?

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unless... JJAW has been released by then? Or Alshon has been traded. Then perhaps if he's shown something they keep him?

I don't really think either of those are likely to happen though (at least not within the next couple of weeks as discussed in previous post regarding expected timing for Goedert to return).  JJAW was a 2nd rd pick who is early in year 2 - I fully expect the FO to at least give him the remainder of this year (and potentially longer) to start proving himself.  They gave Jones 3 years.  I think because JJAW was a higher pick that will end up buying him a little more time (unlike Shareef Miller who was a 4th rd pick and let go after 1 year).  

He's #89 and Croom is #48.  Why are they not issuing #87 yet?  Its been 3 years since Celek retired.

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't really think either of those are likely to happen though (at least not within the next couple of weeks as discussed in previous post regarding expected timing for Goedert to return).  JJAW was a 2nd rd pick who is early in year 2 - I fully expect the FO to at least give him the remainder of this year (and potentially longer) to start proving himself.  They gave Jones 3 years.  I think because JJAW was a higher pick that will end up buying him a little more time (unlike Shareef Miller who was a 4th rd pick and let go after 1 year).  

Yeah I mean to be honest I expect them to stick by JJAW but I mean at this point I just think that's such a complete waste of a roster spot. I mean he is literally bringing nothing to this side right now. Nothing at all. Well maybe he's blocking OK but he brings nothing to the receiving game which is where we desperately need guys to step up.

Can’t get off the line as a receiver and inconsistent hands. Probably worth bringing him in and trying the conversion. Never played in a NFL game, though, and big difference between the no-defense Big-12 and the NFL. On the other hand 6 ‘5 with ups may come in handy with Wentz’ flyers.

3 hours ago, Runtherock said:

Can’t get off the line as a receiver and inconsistent hands. Probably worth bringing him in and trying the conversion. Never played in a NFL game, though, and big difference between the no-defense Big-12 and the NFL. On the other hand 6 ‘5 with ups may come in handy with Wentz’ flyers.

But he's also not really big enough to play TE so playing him there comes with issues. But hey it's worth a punt at this point. He's better than Rodgers.