Joe Hortiz (Ravens Director of College Scouting) -- GM Candidate

eaglesfan0075

23 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like the idea of bringing in a guy like Daniel Jeremiah I really do. I think he'd bring in fresh ideas and he'd bring a different approach. That doesn't mean it would work out. That doesn't mean it would be a success but I like the idea of it. 

I just think complacency is an issue across the board from the FO to the coaching staff to the roster. If it means taking risks with personnel hiring decisions that may or may not work, then so be it, because there is currently minimal creativity in Doug's offense, and Wentz manages to play poorly even with the emergence of some quality young WRs and an admirable performance by a patchwork OL ravaged by injuries. Howie's strengths in finding FA value signings and negotiating trades work best on a team with an already solid core of players. This team is closer to rebuilding mode than the "solid core" needing just some sprucing up with a trade or FA signing to be playoff contenders.

This team needs a draft expert, yesterday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

This team is closer to rebuilding mode than the "solid core" needing just some sprucing up with a trade or FA signing to be playoff contenders.

This team almost needs to tear it down and start again. I mean at this point which players would you absolutely keep to be part of a 3/4 year rebuild? Reagor, Sanders, Goedert, Fulgham (still early days though)... Not many others though. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This team almost needs to tear it down and start again. I mean at this point which players would you absolutely keep to be part of a 3/4 year rebuild? Reagor, Sanders, Goedert, Fulgham (still early days though)... Not many others though. 

It's hard to disagree with that sentiment. The offensive and defensive lines have several players either already in their 30s or entering their 30s. The team will need to infuse those units with several young draft picks or young FA. The DL is in slightly better shape for the long haul given Javon Hargrave, Derek Barnett, and Josh Sweat, being on the younger side, but the OL is getting old fast. If Jordan Mailata could hold down a starting spot, that would go a long way to fixing the OL. You can really justify drafting a OT, OG, or a C early given the current shape it is in.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

It's hard to disagree with that sentiment. The offensive and defensive lines have several players either already in their 30s or entering their 30s. The team will need to infuse those units with several young draft picks or young FA. The DL is in slightly better shape for the long haul given Javon Hargrave, Derek Barnett, and Josh Sweat, being on the younger side, but the OL is getting old fast. If Jordan Mailata could hold down a starting spot, that would go a long way to fixing the OL. You can really justify drafting a OT, OG, or a C early given the current shape it is in.

Thing is... Sweat looks a nice rotational DE but his snaps have to be managed. Barnett may not even be here depending on what kind of contract he wants. Hargrave is what 27? So that's at least something but Cox and Jackson are both 30+. The OL is older too. Kelce needs to be replaced, Brooks will need to be too at some point, Lane is getting older. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:12 AM, time2rock said:

He needs to go.  But I do agree in that it is unlikely Lurie cans him without having gone through a few consecutive seasons where this team is bottom of the league.  

And probably some coaching personnel. I fear that not until Lurie has gone through some coaching changes with no positive result will he reluctantly conclude that Howie is the problem. I hope I"m wrong.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:32 AM, HazletonEagle said:

Joe Douglas sucked. I dont want anyone else from the Ravens. 

I don't know anything about Hortiz but I wouldn't discount him simply because he has ties to Baltimore and the fact that Douglas also came from the same FO there and didn't work out here.  Maybe we just grabbed the wrong guy last time.  Or maybe it doesn't matter who we would hire ... maybe Howie just does what he wants regardless of what information he is getting from others.  Maybe Howie just thinks he is smarter than everyone else in the room.  

• Like 1

i liked howie up till this past draft. Now he had more help in past drafts and this one was all him and I was very Disappointed. I wanted Lamb or Jefferson. I think Reagor was a reach at our pick. 2nd round I was shocked. Now I see it different then most. but either way I was not the best pick. the rest of the picks are projects. i would be fine with keeping Howie in his position but hiring a real GM since tech Howie is not titled a GM. Instead  we are one of the only teams that dont have a true GM. 

But I do think Doug needs to go. Been saying it for 2 years since Frank left. he refuses to give up the OC responsibility and until he does, this team will fail no matter who the GM is. Jim Ive hated since day 1 and been calling for his head since 2018. BUT hes gone next year anyways so no need to fire him. 

4 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

i liked howie up till this past draft

You liked Howie until this past draft? Really? Why? After his past few drafts what was it about this particular draft that got to you so much?

43 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You liked Howie until this past draft? Really? Why? After his past few drafts what was it about this particular draft that got to you so much?

I think a lot of the past drafts were not as bad as people always complain about, but its Eagles fans. I like Wentz,  Barnett,, Goedert. Liked Jones and Douglas. Sanders, Issac, Big V. Sweat is coming around. I think Maddox if put in the slot(his natural position) in a different scheme would have much more success,  Yes your not going to hit on most picks. If you hit on 2 per draft its pretty good. JJ at WR has shown nothing, the DBs I think is scheme. I think Jim is killing the DBs drafted. Hell hes killing Slay. We have had good success with getting talent in UFA's. Howie brought these guys in. I think Howie's biggest mistakes before this draft was letting Tate walk and keeping Nelson. And not pushing Doug to give up play calling and hiring a real OC. 

Now this past draft, I did NOT want Reagor. Didnt think he was worth a 1st. I think every player drafted this year was a reach in the first 3 rounds and all projects which is not what this team needed, we needed ready football players. Now he had help in past drafts with Joe Douglas. 

9 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think a lot of the past drafts were not as bad as people always complain about

Jones and Douglas didn't work out. Now sure that may be down to the scheme but if that's the case then that's bad drafting anyway as they didn't fit the scheme. 

He's had so many complete failures of drafts. So many players who were just outright cut. They couldn't even become depth guys. He's just a bad talent evaluator plain and simple. 

On 11/4/2020 at 6:30 AM, time2rock said:

I don't know anything about Hortiz but I wouldn't discount him simply because he has ties to Baltimore and the fact that Douglas also came from the same FO there and didn't work out here.  Maybe we just grabbed the wrong guy last time.  Or maybe it doesn't matter who we would hire ... maybe Howie just does what he wants regardless of what information he is getting from others.  Maybe Howie just thinks he is smarter than everyone else in the room.  

This has always been my  primary concern about Howie. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to start calling him Howie Hubris. His time running player evaluations and the draft should be at an end.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

This has always been my  primary concern about Howie. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to start calling him Howie Hubris. His time running player evaluations and the draft should be at an end.

His time as GM should be at an end. There's literally no benefit or good that can come from keeping him around. He managed to get back in to power before, he could do it again. And do we really think that he'd listen and follow the guy brought in to run the draft? 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, BBE said:

Howie needs to go.

front office and coaching needs an overhaul, plus alot of the overpaid players.

43 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

front office and coaching needs an overhaul, plus alot of the overpaid players.

Yes.  We should have given Indy Doug and kept Reich.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BBE said:

Yes.  We should have given Indy Doug and kept Reich.

Watching that game (Indy vs. Pack), it really highlighted (besides our own ineptitude), what an actual NFL offense SHOULD look like.  

i would rather hire Ryne Nutt chiefs scouting director or pro college scout jason lamb for gm. if they are getting coaches i would also look at the chiefs coaching staff as well.

20 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

i would rather hire Ryne Nutt chiefs scouting director or pro college scout jason lamb for gm. if they are getting coaches i would also look at the chiefs coaching staff as well.

Andy Reid did block the Eagles from bringing in Mike Kafka to interview for the OC position last year and gave him a new title instead. So I don't think he'll be keen about letting other assistants leave either, especially if Eric Bieniemy gets a HC job elsewhere this offseason.

As far as front offices go, I wouldn't be opposed to Nutt or Lamb as GM.

• Like 1