- game-planning and play-calling for the offense 

- injuries 

- lack of DB talent 

- lack of DL talent 

- lack of LB talent 

- lack of OL talent 

- lack of QB talent 

- lack of WR talent 

How do you rank them from 1 (the worst) to 10 (the least serious)? 

Good topic I quite like it. Makes you think that's for sure. 

- age 8

- game-planning and play-calling for the defense 4

- game-planning and play-calling for the offense 5

- injuries 10

- lack of DB talent 2

- lack of DL talent 6

- lack of LB talent 1

- lack of OL talent 9

- lack of QB talent 3

- lack of WR talent 7

#1 is Wentz. He single handedly lost Wash and Cinn. I'm debating about the Rams. Who knows what would have happened if he didn't throw that pick in the end zone. Momentums swing, so who knows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

#1 is Wentz. He single handedly lost Wash and Cinn. I'm debating about the Rams. Who knows what would have happened if he didn't throw that pick in the end zone. Momentums swing, so who knows.

I agree with this, momentum is huge and that drive was a killer, I think we could've pulled of the W even if it was a fg 

• Like 1

- game-planning and play-calling for the defense

- injuries 

Im only listing these cause a lot of the talent issues lies with coaching issues. Players can have success and failures from not having the right scheme, play design to match our players and overall coaching up the players. There is a reason most successful teams have the most consistent coaches even when new players are brought in. Its why you can see teams go from worst to first in a year. Geez sounds like Us in 2017 when Doug gave up game planning/scripting. People say they dont believe it but stats dont lie. Number 1 offense in 2017 under Frank game planning, Under Dougs control we havent sniffed top 10-15. The only coach I feel has been a very good constant coach here is Duce and Flipp. Every year he makes his running backs better and better even when they are not good, he gets more out of them. Flipp has been a very good coach since day one. 

• Like 3

Eagles biggest lack is a GM capable of consistently finding NFL level talent. He’s so enamored in his own ability to find talent he thinks he can waste picks on foolish projects. This list is filled with "lacks talent” nearly on the entire squad. One man put this squad together. 

• Like 3

The only area we're really lacking talent in is the LB corps. After that would be the secondary. We have talent at WR, DL.

I agree with the above posts that coaching and the GM situation overshadow everything else.

Coaching is biggest concern to me.  I really dont think alot of these guys, including Wentz, are being used to their strengths.

After the SB year this team seems to get off to slow starts including this year.  2018 Foles starts and they barely beat Atlanta in the season opener then lose to Fitzpatrick and the Bucs.  Wentz comes back isnt fully healthy and didnt have the TC reps and practice.  He gets hurt and Foles plays good late and saves the season.  2019 they start off slow hovering around .500 until the last 4 games where Wentz saves the season.  Now this year another slow start and the team looks lost and unprepared.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if they play good football somewhere in the 2nd half of the season but it will be too late.

I would say the number one is QB play. He is at the helm and looks lost and unprepared every single game. I think the injuries have taken away his athleticism and that alone limits his movement. He seems to have NO pocket awareness at all.

The LB core is beyond awful. THIS is what happens when you dont put much stock into that position. 

The secondary has not been good since Sheldon Brown, Lito Shepard and company. 

Defensive scheme is a train wreck and has been since gym shorts has gotten here. It needs to change and the wide nine should be banned from team and never be used again. 

Playcalling is predictable and stale. It is CLEAR who the offensive guru was during the superbowl run. No imagination whatsoever and I am sick of the right up the middle with this core of RB's. That works when you have backs like Blount and Ajayi but we know what happened to them. 

1 minute ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I would say the number one is QB play. He is at the helm and looks lost and unprepared every single game.

What you posted there screams coaching.

• Like 1

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

What you posted there screams coaching.

Agreed. 

5 hours ago, wyote said:

So here is a list of ten of the problems this Eagles team has: 

- age 2

- game-planning and play-calling for the defense 7

- game-planning and play-calling for the offense 6

- injuries 1

- lack of DB talent 8

- lack of DL talent 9

- lack of LB talent 5

- lack of OL talent 4

- lack of QB talent 10

- lack of WR talent 3

Lol this going to trigger some of you

1)  Howie drafting the players

2)  Howie drafting the players

3)  Howie drafting the players

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wyote said:

- lack of quality drafting

- injuries 

- lack of LB talent 

- lack of DL talent 

- lack of DB talent 

- lack of OL talent 

- lack of WR talent 

There was a talent/brain drain after the Super Bowl, when Reich left to the Colts and other players/coaches signed elsewhere. Too much emphasis on bringing up guys in-house to replace them, rather than finding better talent elsewhere. For instance, Groh replacing Reich was a symptom of the bigger problem. Now Groh is gone, they're trying to run the offense without a coordinator and it's a mess. Offensive Coordinator isn't the only place this is happening. Players like Jenkins, Bradham, Hicks, LJ Fort, Vaitai, were allowed to walk/released. They let younger/less experience guys take over, and it's not working.

• Like 1

1. Howie 

2. Wentz

3. Injuries

4. LBs

5. Schwartz

6. Secondary

7. WRs

8. Age

9. Doug

10. OL

1. GM

2. Overall lack of talent, bad scouting, terrible drafting - Personnel dept and GM

3. Bad contracts/cap hell - from the GM

4. Aging roster; no young talent to replace - because of the GM

5. Injuries and conditioning despite new leaders in conditioning and medical

6. Wentz performance, average since they won the Super Bowl

7. Offensive coaching/playcalling

8. Defensive coaching/scheme 

9. Attitude: complacent, cocky, buying their hype without producing results

10. GM because you need a top 10 list and he's worth mentioning again

• Like 3

- age 10

- game-planning and play-calling for the defense 7

- game-planning and play-calling for the offense 6

- injuries 9

- lack of DB talent 1

- lack of DL talent 1

- lack of LB talent 1

- lack of OL talent 1

- lack of QB talent 8

- lack of WR talent 1

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

6. Wentz performance, average since they won the Super Bowl

7. Offensive coaching/playcalling

6 is caused by 7 IMO.

Letme give y’all the real list... 

- injuries 

- lack of LB talent

- lack of QB talent 

- lack of WR talent 

- lack of OL talent 

- lack of DB talent 

- lack of DL talent 

20 minutes ago, downundermike said:

6 is caused by 7 IMO.

Perhaps.  You could argue it's in his head since watching Foles win the SB and putting those expectations on himself.  You could argue injuries affected him.  You could argue that he performed well with a team that was 13-3 and went on to win the Super Bowl without him so was he a product of that as well?  But you really can't make a list of problems with the team and leave off Wentz.

• Like 1

I'm thinking the rank is this: 

1. injuries - biggest problem the team has. Two years in a row they've entered the first week of the season banged up. 

2. lack of WR talent - with Reagor down, they're back to last year; has any team ever had a worse set of WRs? I mean, someone must have. In history. 

3. age - this is related to injuries and bad drafting. It's also 2017 nostalgia. 

4. lack of OL talent - this is largely due to injuries and age. If Lane started game 1, the Eagles would've won. JP is going to get Wentz killed (I know a lot of you would like that, but nobody is coming to the rescue at QB) 

5. lack of LB talent - maybe the LBs don't matter as much as they used to, but this is not a great group 

I don't actually know that any of these are the problems: 

- game-planning and play-calling for the defense - I don't know enough about this to comment 

- game-planning and play-calling for the offense - I don't know enough about this to comment 

- lack of DB talent - unlike last year, they're probably good enough at DB to have won a game or two. 

- lack of DL talent - DL hasn't played well enough but they have the bodies to do it 

- lack of QB talent - Wentz has played poorly, but it isn't because he lacks talent. I think his problem is emotions.  

8 hours ago, wyote said:

So here is a list of ten of the problems this Eagles team has: 

- injuries 

- lack of DB talent 

- lack of DL talent 

- lack of LB talent 

- lack of OL talent 

- lack of QB talent 

- lack of WR talent 

So for me it's

1 injuries

2 lack of LB talent - our LBs are terrible and there's a difference between undervaluing the position, which has worked in the past to flat out ignoring it.

3 lack of DB talent - Slay is finally a legit number 1 corner, but the failure to address the other outside corner spot is a joke. McLeod is solid. Looks like replacing Jenkins with Mills could have been a mistake. 

4 age - lack of young talent is really apparent.

5 lack of QB talent. I wouldn't call this lack of talent as Wentz has all the talent in the world, but he's just been playing really badly through 3 games and has been inconsistent since that magical 2017 season. I still think he can turn it around. If he doesn't Hurts will get a shot at some point.

6 lack of WR talent - this is very much connected to 1. We knew DJax and Alshon were injury risks. Reagor was just bad luck. Finally got Ward some proper playing time. Hopefully we get AJ back soon.

7 offensive planning etc - I think the main issue is that Carson isn't playing well, but Doug has really struggled this year. Should have used Sanders way more against the Bengals.

8 lack of OL talent. Maybe higher - but ultimately if it wasn't for injuries we would have a strong line. 

9 defensive game planning etc - I've always been a Schwartz fan and I think he has been vastly underappreciated on these boards given the talent and injuries he has had to work with. Issue for me is defensive talent and ignoring it in the high rounds of the draft over the last 5 years. That said Schwartz has been part of the problem this year and the Rams game in particular was very poor. I still think he's a good DC. His time with the Eagles may be coming to an end though.

10 lack of DL talent - the DL has underachieved considering the investment, but they played much better on Sunday. We need this group to dominate and it has the potential. 

Interesting topic. Here's my take:

1. age 

2. lack of OL talent

3. lack of DL talent

4. injuries

5. lack of DB talent

6. defense game-planning

7. lack of LB talent

8. lack of WR talent

9. lack of QB talent

10. offense game-planning