rank the problems

wyote

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Perhaps.  You could argue it's in his head since watching Foles win the SB and putting those expectations on himself.  You could argue injuries affected him.  You could argue that he performed well with a team that was 13-3 and went on to win the Super Bowl without him so was he a product of that as well?  But you really can't make a list of problems with the team and leave off Wentz.

He broke a record with scrubs at receiver last year lol

10 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

And I applauded him for that.  His play has been up and down.  During stretches even with his starting playmakers he's been spotty.  The numbers show that he's average in many key categories including win/loss, completion%, etc. since coming back after the Super Bowl.  People also argue that those were against scrub teams at the end of the year.

But my point in this thread was, despite the excuses people can make for Wentz, if you're making a list of problems with the team right now you're going to include Wentz.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

But my point in this thread was, despite the excuses people can make for Wentz, if you're making a list of problems with the team right now you're going to include Wentz.  

There's no reasonably list that right now doesn't include Wentz so you are spot on. 

#1. Poor roster management with lack of talent.

#2. Problem #1 sent QB progression into tailspin, QB no longer can play at an acceptable level.

#3. QB and talent situation so dire that coaches cannot possibly come up with a good game plan, good matchups, good play calls, coaches spin their wheels, starting to get desperate and do a poor job.

#1 set off the other two problems.  It all starts with Howie but doesn't end with him.

Yeah, I gotta agree with what many of y'all are saying. The problems start at the top... Wentz is playing like trash and making stupid rookie mistakes which is very concerning, sure the roster is old and filled with inflated contracts, we are lacking talent in key areas. While the players should never be let off the hook (after all, its philly), many of our issues stem from management and coaching problems. 

One thing Wentz is struggling with is his mechanics and footwork, part of that is on him and he needs to be held accountable. However, it brings up the question, what kinds of mixed messages is he receiving every offseason?

The roster is old and we are cap strapped because of Howie and his loyalty to aging players and his tendency to push money forward (the chickens always come home to roost). 

And we are missing talent in areas because of piss poor talent evaluation and a history of awful drafting and draft practices. We dont value linebackers. We have a history of drafting conservatively. We overvalue players that "fit an archetype" (even if that is a the archetype of "positionless"), rather than keying in on talent and tools. And we consistently sign band-aid free agents. 

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Perhaps.  You could argue it's in his head since watching Foles win the SB and putting those expectations on himself.  You could argue injuries affected him.  You could argue that he performed well with a team that was 13-3 and went on to win the Super Bowl without him so was he a product of that as well?  But you really can't make a list of problems with the team and leave off Wentz.

It's funny how the most important player on the team is absolved of any wrongdoing when they lose and gets the lion's share of the credit when they win.

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

1. GM

2. Overall lack of talent, bad scouting, terrible drafting - Personnel dept and GM

3. Bad contracts/cap hell - from the GM

4. Aging roster; no young talent to replace - because of the GM

5. Injuries and conditioning despite new leaders in conditioning and medical

6. Wentz performance, average since they won the Super Bowl

7. Offensive coaching/playcalling

8. Defensive coaching/scheme 

9. Attitude: complacent, cocky, buying their hype without producing results

10. GM because you need a top 10 list and he's worth mentioning again

I would flip flop 6 for 7, but otherwise this is spot on.  And yes, Wentz has be on any top 10 problem list the team has right now.  He played better his rookie season than he has the past few seasons combined.  His play has been too inconsistent.  The question is what is the reason for it?  Is this really what he is or has he come to this point due to a combination of variables?  Like putting pressure on himself to repeat his almost MVP season and Foles winning the SB in his stead?  I recall a video clip where it was just him and Foles with the latter holding up the Lombardi and Wentz says to Foles, "That's me next year".  I believe that Wentz FULLY believed that.  I think he thought that after overcoming his injury that 2018 would be a carbon copy of 2017, but this time he'd be the one to finish it and see it through.  Another variable is that he's had 3 injuries since 2017.  The knee in the Rams game, the fractured back to cut short 2018 and the dirty Clowney hit last season.  So that's failing to make the playoffs his rookie season, getting hurt and missing the playoffs and SB in 2017, getting hurt and missing the playoffs in 2018 and getting knocked out of his first ever playoff game last season.  That has to have some psychological effect, even if subconsciously, that would make him think too much and have trouble making quick confident decisions.  Then there's the ishy WR help he's had since 2017.  Then there's both Reich and DeFilippo leaving.  ALL of this, IMO, has combined to turn him into a lesser QB right now.  Has he totally lost the plot or can he be fixed if given a competent OC and QB coach who can work with him near what Reich and DeFilippo did?  

Problem #1 is Howie.  He just had the Midas Touch in 2017.  Since then he's outsmarted himself and we're a roster of aging injured players with big contracts.  I think that's the difference between him and Banner in terms of being the ones who handle the contracts is that Banner was never sentimental and would get rid of players just before they hit their decline where Howie rewards players about to hit their decline.  And the majority of his drafting, when he's been the one in control, has been rather bizarre.  

There's so much wrong with this organization right now.  Question is who can identify the problems and have the will to fix them?  Lurie?  It has to be him if Howie is the #1 problem.

• Like 1

So apparently PFF ranked Rasul Douglas as the tenth best corner in the NFL right now. I guess the Panthers understood how stupid it is to put him on a man to man island with no safety help. 

• Like 2

1. Jeffrey Lurie for not fixing the Howie problem.

2. Howie Roseman for terrible drafts which created talents deficits, cap problems, age problems, and injury issues.

3. Doug and his coaching staff for allowing Wentz to regress.

4. Wentz himself for his poor decision making and eroding accuracy.

5. Our unrealistic expectations that things will turn around when #1 and #2 won't change in our lifetimes.

6-10. See #1 & #2.

Glad they got 2017 in the books. Probably not happening again any time soon.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

What you posted there screams coaching.

is it just coaching...or is it coaching coupled with the idea that maybe Wentz has reached his peak....Wentz is starting to remind me of Drew Bledsoe...a guy wih talent who could "wow" you in games from time to time...but his bd games were REALLY bad...and he never really corrected his tendencies

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

So apparently PFF ranked Rasul Douglas as the tenth bes core er in the NFL right now. I guess the Panthers understood how stupid it is to put him on a man to man island with no safety help. 

Uggh. Even though its PFF, you know that he has to have been playing well to make the list. Typical eagles... crappy coaching, player development, and not putting your guys in the right spot. Sometimes you need to tweak your scheme based on who you have at the position, and this staff does a poor job at that. Having said that, Rasul is not a world beater and he is bound to come back down to earth soon

• Like 1

Straighten out Wentz.  If he starts playing better, and we saw some signs last week, then the team might rally.  Sunday night could be a little ugly though if we keep repeating our mistakes.

On 10/1/2020 at 6:17 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Good topic I quite like it. Makes you think that's for sure. 

- age 8

- game-planning and play-calling for the defense 4

- game-planning and play-calling for the offense 5

- injuries 10

- lack of DB talent 2

- lack of DL talent 6

- lack of LB talent 1

- lack of OL talent 9

- lack of QB talent 3

- lack of WR talent 7

1. Wentz

The rest, rank them however you want it doesn’t matter. You aren’t winning many games with your QB playing like the worst QB in the league. 

20 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

The stupidest "record” I’ve ever heard of. 

2 hours ago, Miami said:

Straighten out Wentz.  If he starts playing better, and we saw some signs last week, then the team might rally.  Sunday night could be a little ugly though if we keep repeating our mistakes.

What signs did we see last week? That he had a couple of runs after being aided by two pass interference calls that would have been incomplete even without the interference?

5 minutes ago, nipples said:

1. Wentz

The rest, rank them however you want it doesn’t matter. You aren’t winning many games with your QB playing like the worst QB in the league. 

The stupidest "record” I’ve ever heard of. 

🤷‍♂️ I think its pretty cool

First Eagle with over 4000yds

Also first player with over 4000yds with no receiver over 500yds

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

🤷‍♂️ I think its pretty cool

First Eagle with over 4000yds

Also first player with over 4000yds with no receiver over 500yds

11 QBs threw for over 4000 last year... 

As for the receivers stat, it’s pretty meaningless. Especially when you consider Ertz was over 900 yards. And Goedert over 600. 

They played loyalty to players after SB win.  Kept the vets much longer than they should.  When they reached the point these older players must be replaced, the young players were not ready to take over.  The succession was out of order.  They should have played the young ones before they are asked to step in.

Drafting poorly also played into this development.  Way too many new players did not develop well, either because inferior evaluation or coaching.  On the draft, Howie can't shake the blame, but the personnel department must share some of the blame as well.

Coaches and players departure after a SB win is to be expected.  Can't blame them of doing that.  The team failed to replace them is the problem.  They are still trying to climb out of that hole 3 seasons since.

8 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

My thing is, and  I've said this before.

Wentz under Shannhan, Mcvey, Mcdanials, Arthur Smith, Etc Etc he's a 12 win, 4500 yard QB. 

If shannhan can get Mullens to throw 350 yards, I'm fairly sure he can get Wentz to do it too 

Fair point.  We shall see on Sunday night.  I too am a believer in Wentz but he needs to get going pronto.

On 10/2/2020 at 8:18 AM, QBhunter58 said:

Uggh. Even though its PFF, you know that he has to have been playing well to make the list. Typical eagles... crappy coaching, player development, and not putting your guys in the right spot. Sometimes you need to tweak your scheme based on who you have at the position, and this staff does a poor job at that. Having said that, Rasul is not a world beater and he is bound to come back down to earth soon

I don’t think Douglas is a world beater either, but like you mentioned you have to understand the talent (or lack there of) you have. Why draft a guy who doesn’t fit you system to begin with? It just seems like the FO and the coaching staff aren’t close to being on the same page despite their so called statements of collaborative efforts. 

13 hours ago, Runtherock said:

Howie #1, by far. Wentz’ un-coachability next.

Most definitely agree with your view as Howie number one, but as far as Wentz goes I don’t know if it’s he’s uncoachable or if it’s just he has bad coaches, or if it’s just a case of he needs a lot of talent around him to be effective. Maybe all of it plays a part.