So lets talk Head Coaches

Nivraga

Usually when the Eagles start off this abysmal I pop over to the college football section for early preview of draft prospects. But C19 has put the kabash on a lot of future NFL talent. So - as I think it might be time to thank Doug profusely for the Eagles first and only SB title as we walk him to the door - I'm interested in peeking at what HC prospects are out there. 

Here is an article from SI on the subject

I'm interested in who the board has in mind.

I posted this topic before I finished reading the SI article - I never realized that Kellen Moore had a 5 head.

Kellen Moore

I was looking at Brian Schottenheimer. He has a good track record with QBs and has been calling plays in Seattle for a little while now I think. 

• Like 1

Just this past summer, there was some who felt that Doug was underrated. Felt Doug was a top 5 NFL head coach.  Didn't like seeing Mcvay rated above him. Now there are some who want to move on. 

• Like 1

My choices in order of preference:

1. Bienemy

2. Riley

3. Venables

4. Kafka

I'm really interested in having a younger, college-oriented coach again. Not only are the NFL and College schemes so alike these days, I feel the transition would be less for a good college guy. Plus, they're used to having to innovate and work with a hodgepodge of skill levels and players. A successful college coach---one that have appeared in a couple of big bowl games--- has really earned his stripes, IMO.

On a side note, I can't believe Press Taylor is on that list as an up and coming coach. The guys blows and is probably single-handedly responsible for Wentz' decline. He apparently learned nothing from Reich and Flip.

35 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

If Lurie does indeed fire Doug then I'd like to try outColorado coaching search: Kansas City Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy withdraws  name from consideration - CBSSports.com

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

When we hired Doug he played a very minor role with the Chiefs as the OC. It almost seams like Andy was pushing for Doug to get hired to get someone else in. Eric on the other hands is know for designing the plays, and has a big part in game planning. I think he has better understanding then Doug did before he was hired. We need that creativity. Now where I think Doug has his success is with being that players coach. He gets the respect from the players more of being a friend. I dont know much about Eric in that nature. But he would be my top chouce right now. 

Honestly Dave Flipp would be a close 2nd though for me. I think he would strive as a HC like John did. I never hear his name mentioned, but could be a sleeper in the mix.

I’m still not ready to give up on Doug. He’s been to the playoffs three straight seasons and won a Super Bowl with his GM giving him trash to work with most of that time. Need a running back or outside receiver? Here Doug have a slot guy. Need new young corners? Here Doug have an injured guy. Need any receiver? Here Doug have a useless LB/DE who can’t play and the Browns don’t even want. Need receivers Doug? Nah I’m not gonna trade for Hopkins or trade up to get Lamb. Instead how about a backup quarterback you can’t really use. How about a new GM instead? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m still not ready to give up on Doug. He’s been to the playoffs three straight seasons and won a Super Bowl with his GM giving him trash to work with most of that time. Need a running back or outside receiver? Here Doug have a slot guy. Need new young corners? Here Doug have an injured guy. Need any receiver? Here Doug have a useless LB/DE who can’t play and the Browns don’t even want. Need receivers Doug? Nah I’m not gonna trad for Hopkins or trade up to get Lamb. Instead how about a backup quarterback you can’t really use. How about a new GM instead? 

I dont mind Doug as a HC BUT he cant stay as the OC. As a HC Im good with him. He holds the respect from the team. If he refuses to give up the OC role, he has to go though.. I dont consider 18-19 seasons a successful teams with how they made the playoffs. Hell this year we could make the playoffs again with 6 wins. Thats not good coaching just cause they make playoffs in a all time worse div records combined. 

20 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I dont mind Doug as a HC BUT he cant stay as the OC. As a HC Im good with him. He holds the respect from the team. If he refuses to give up the OC role, he has to go though.. I dont consider 18-19 seasons a successful teams with how they made the playoffs. Hell this year we could make the playoffs again with 6 wins. Thats not good coaching just cause they make playoffs in a all time worse div records combined. 

Doug can only coach the talent he’s given. I’m not sure many coaches in the league could win with some of the stuff he has to endure. For everyone who cries "Wentz has no weapons!” The same applies for Doug and on top of that he doesn’t have say on his own coaching staff. When it comes down to it the only power he has is play calling. Now I do think he should consider giving it up, but I can understand if he thinks he needs to pull a power move here like Chip Kelly did. If the GM keeps giving up dud players there isn’t much Doug can do. 

I think this coaching staff is failing as talent developers. Howie did do a horrible job this year in the draft drafting speed over talent. But I do think the coaching as a whole has been really bad in making the best of these players. The only positions coaches I see doing a good job is Duce and the TE coach. The rest have not been very good and getting the most out of their players. 

I think there are a few exciting candidates out there. If they do move on from Doug I'd like to see them bring in a young offensive minded HC.

I'd like to see Pedersen start and finish a season without a sh-- load of starters being out all the time.

• Like 1

Hate to burst the bubble here. Lurie isn't going to fire a HC when the last 3 years have been: 3 playoff appearances, 2 division titles and a World Championship. 

I don't see Doug getting fired but IF Lurie did then I'd be all aboard the Bieniemy train

For now I just want a new DC, GM, and OC, QB coach

• Like 1

Bill O'Brien is now a coaching free agent.

Obviously we just saw as a GM/HC, he was basically the Texans version of Chip Kelly. However, in light of such an epic meltdown, O'Brien may have to settle for an OC job or maybe even QB coach to rehab his coaching image in the NFL.

I doubt he gets another HC job right after getting fired, like Chip did with the 49ers, but stranger things have happened.

Let's not forget O'Brien was interviewed by the Eagles during the coach hiring cycle when they ultimately went with Chip Kelly. So there at least was legitimate interest at one point in time.

Maybe the opportunity to revive Carson Wentz's career as a QB is an enticing enough opportunity? I wouldn't want him as a HC, but if we have a losing season and have to fire offensive assistant coaches, I would imagine O'Brien would be an upgrade over most options.

8 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Bill O'Brien is now a coaching free agent.

Obviously we just saw as a GM/HC, he was basically the Texans version of Chip Kelly. However, in light of such an epic meltdown, O'Brien may have to settle for an OC job or maybe even QB coach to rehab his coaching image in the NFL.

I doubt he gets another HC job right after getting fired, like Chip did with the 49ers, but stranger things have happened.

Let's not forget O'Brien was interviewed by the Eagles during the coach hiring cycle when they ultimately went with Chip Kelly. So there at least was legitimate interest at one point in time.

Maybe the opportunity to revive Carson Wentz's career as a QB is an enticing enough opportunity? I wouldn't want him as a HC, but if we have a losing season and have to fire offensive assistant coaches, I would imagine O'Brien would be an upgrade over most options.

He's too arrogant. I don't want him anywhere around this team. 

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think I speak for all of the Texans fans out there when I say... About time!

It was hard to watch him destroy that team.