So lets talk Head Coaches

Nivraga

49 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

It was hard to watch him destroy that team. 

I just can't fathom some of the moves he made! So many head scratching moves. The icing on the cake being the one that saw Hopkins go to Arizona.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 12:43 PM, Eagles_All_Day said:

Just this past summer, there was some who felt that Doug was underrated. Felt Doug was a top 5 NFL head coach.  Didn't like seeing Mcvay rated above him. Now there are some who want to move on. 

Yes, we Eagles fans can be very fickle - although in this instance it's not necessarily the same people. I always thought Doug's strength was getting his players to play their best. Injuries have prevented Doug from calling the plays he'd like to these past couple seasons - I've maintained that the biggest difference between 2017 and 18/19 was a healthy Torrey Smith vs an injured Mike Wallace and injured D Jackson. Now the offense is sputtering again and oh look - injuries along the O Line and injuries to the top WRs again. BUT I also think Doug is limited creatively and you can only get so much out of inexperienced players. 

There is no doubt that Doug + Frank Reich + John DeFilippo is greater than Doug - Frank Reich - John DeFilippo. Until / Unless Doug wins without them, the question is always going to be how much was the 2017 success dependent on the chemistry of those 3 and how likely is Doug to find another winning formula. I don't think the committee approach he's currently using is going to work. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nivraga said:

Yes, we Eagles fans can be very fickle - although in this instance it's not necessarily the same people. I always thought Doug's strength was getting his players to play their best. Injuries have prevented Doug from calling the plays he'd like to these past couple seasons - I've maintained that the biggest difference between 2017 and 18/19 was a healthy Torrey Smith vs an injured Mike Wallace and injured D Jackson. Now the offense is sputtering again and oh look - injuries along the O Line and injuries to the top WRs again. BUT I also think Doug is limited creatively and you can only get so much out of inexperienced players. 

There is no doubt that Doug + Frank Reich + John DeFilippo is greater than Doug - Frank Reich - John DeFilippo. Until / Unless Doug wins without them, the question is always going to be how much was the 2017 success dependent on the chemistry of those 3 and how likely is Doug to find another winning formula. I don't think the committee approach he's currently using is going to work. 

If the eagles add Adam Gase next offseason, would that help?

5 hours ago, Eagles_All_Day said:

If the eagles add Adam Gase next offseason, would that help?

Adam Gase doesn't impress me. Peyton Manning has made a lot of people look great. The Bears were meh with Gase but they also had meh personnel.  But I guess it also depends on how they add him - I don't think he comes here if Doug retains play calling. 

Jeff Lurie has never fired a head coach after one season of missing the playoffs. Ray Rhodes, Andy Reid, and Chip Kelly all posted two back to back seasons of missing the playoffs before getting let go, and none of those coaches brought the Eagles a Super Bowl win like Doug Pederson.

He could very well elect to keep Pederson, Schwartz, and Roseman and call this season a wash, but if someone is going to be let go this offseason, it's going to be one of the latter two.

17 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Jeff Lurie has never fired a head coach after one season of missing the playoffs. Ray Rhodes, Andy Reid, and Chip Kelly all posted two back to back seasons of missing the playoffs before getting let go, and none of those coaches brought the Eagles a Super Bowl win like Doug Pederson.

He could very well elect to keep Pederson, Schwartz, and Roseman and call this season a wash, but if someone is going to be let go this offseason, it's going to be one of the latter two.

Jim's contract is up after this season, highly doubt he is back. As we all have seen through the past, if the FO wants to keep a coach, player etc they extend them the year before their final contract year. Jim is gone next year. 

On 10/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, Nivraga said:

I'm interested in who the board has in mind.

I tend to lean toward Lee Evans on the matter. 

On 10/17/2020 at 7:37 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

I'm with you, I don't think Doug is fired after this season (nor should he be).  But he should be forced to hire a legitimate OC and give up play calling duties.  If anyone needs to go it is Howie but I don't think Lurie will make such a bold move like that either.  I think the only move we are likely to see between now and next season is hiring a new DC (with Schwartz's contract running out after this season).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

I'm with you, I don't think Doug is fired after this season (nor should he be).  But he should be forced to hire a legitimate OC and give up play calling duties.  If anyone needs to go it is Howie but I don't think Lurie will make such a bold move like that either.  I think the only move we are likely to see between now and next season is hiring a new DC (with Schwartz's contract running out after this season).  

100 % agree. 

Very interested who they will hire for the DC position.

12 hours ago, Ray75 said:

100 % agree. 

Are you convinced that they don't bring Schwartz back? I'm not yet sure. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do you think Schwartz wants to come back?! I have my doubts...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray75 said:

I'm not sure. To be fair I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to...

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I think he will try for a HC job. Possibly the Falcons if they want to stay defensive minded. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

8 hours ago, Ray75 said:

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure. To be fair I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to...

5 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

I think he will try for a HC job. Possibly the Falcons if they want to stay defensive minded. 

I'm waiting to see how this season plays out, but I think it might be best for both sides to move on.

There's no doubt in my mind that Schwartz is a really good DC and he is vastly undervalued by some on this board.

But I'm not sure he wants to be here anymore and in some ways I don't blame him. The Eagles have continued to ignore the D in the high rounds of the draft and the lack of talent is really starting to tell. He did a good job holding it all together before this year and his playoff record of averaging 17 points allowed is superb.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'm waiting to see how this season plays out, but I think it might be best for both sides to move on.

There's no doubt in my mind that Schwartz is a really good DC and he is vastly undervalued by some on this board.

But I'm not sure he wants to be here anymore and in some ways I don't blame him. The Eagles have continued to ignore the D in the high rounds of the draft and the lack of talent is really starting to tell. He did a good job holding it all together before this year and his playoff record of averaging 17 points allowed is superb.

Agreed he didn’t always have the pieces but personally I’m just not a fan of his scheme. Too much emphasis on the DL and not nearly enough on LB’s and the defensive backfield. All is fine if the DL gets enough pressure but if that falls through, you don’t have enough talented players at the backend to limit the damage.

I’d love them to get a more balanced DC.

How about bringing back Demeco Ryans?!

58 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'd tend to agree there. Sometimes changes are needed just to freshen things up and bring a different approach to things. Doesn't mean that he's a bad DC though of course. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Agreed he didn’t always have the pieces but personally I’m just not a fan of his scheme. Too much emphasis on the DL and not nearly enough on LB’s and the defensive backfield. All is fine if the DL gets enough pressure but if that falls through, you don’t have enough talented players at the backend to limit the damage.

I’d love them to get a more balanced DC.

How about bringing back Demeco Ryans?!

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd tend to agree there. Sometimes changes are needed just to freshen things up and bring a different approach to things. Doesn't mean that he's a bad DC though of course. 

What Schwartz did in 2017 was really underrated. All people remember is the Super Bowl, which was bad, but people forget we were the number 4 D in both points and yards and kept both the Falcons and Vikings to 10 points or less in the playoffs.

He didn't have many star players. Cox was elite and Graham and Jenkins were very good, but other than that, he just had a bunch of fairly decent players to work with. The linebackers and corners were pretty average but they were legitimate NFL players. His scheme worked well.

Since then, we have just ignored the D in the draft. It's really starting to show. Schwartz has held it together in 2018 and 2019, although it hasn't been pretty at times. 2020 it's starting to unravel. Schwartz has to take part of the blame, although the ineptitude of the offense and lack of talent are huge contributors are issues as well.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 3:37 PM, Ray75 said:

100 % agree. 

If Mike Zimmer is let go by the Vikings, he would be a solid choice if the team wants to continue running a 4-3 defense. Either way, the team will need to invest in young blue-chip defensive players through the draft for the most part if they want to be successful longterm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If Mike Zimmer is let go by the Vikings, he would be a solid choice if the team wants to continue running a 4-3 defense. Either way, the team will need to invest in young blue-chip defensive players through the draft for the most part if they want to be successful longterm.

Could be a good shout that... And agreed they need to add more play makers to this defense otherwise it doesn't really matter who comes in as DC as they'll be limited. 

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Could be a good shout that... And agreed they need to add more play makers to this defense otherwise it doesn't really matter who comes in as DC as they'll be limited. 

Id disagree somewhat there. They have a great Dline. I like our Safety players with Wallace, Parks and Mills. I think the corners are much better then they look under Jim. We need LBs and a outside corner since they made the bone head move to move on from both Douglas and Jones are only outside corners other then Slay and Mills who now plays safety. I dont think our Defense is as bad talent wise as they show. I think coaching scheme is hurting them more then the talent. 

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Id disagree somewhat there. They have a great Dline. I like our Safety players with Wallace, Parks and Mills. I think the corners are much better then they look under Jim. We need LBs and a outside corner since they made the bone head move to move on from both Douglas and Jones are only outside corners other then Slay and Mills who now plays safety. I dont think our Defense is as bad talent wise as they show. I think coaching scheme is hurting them more then the talent. 

A great DL? Involving a player over 30 and who potentially, potentially, may be traded. A DE who is nearing the end of his career. A DE who is currently out of contract next year. Our safeties are not that good. Our secondary has a whole needs a major overhaul with some premium players. We need at least 1 DE, 2/3 LBs, 2 CBs and at least 1 safety.

53 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

A great DL? Involving a player over 30 and who potentially, potentially, may be traded. A DE who is nearing the end of his career. A DE who is currently out of contract next year. Our safeties are not that good. Our secondary has a whole needs a major overhaul with some premium players. We need at least 1 DE, 2/3 LBs, 2 CBs and at least 1 safety.

Under a different DC, I think our secondary will look much better. 

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Under a different DC, I think our secondary will look much better. 

Really? Maddox at outside corner can grow a few inches can he? Slay can get a few years younger to be a part of this secondary long term?

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Really? Maddox at outside corner can grow a few inches can he? Slay can get a few years younger to be a part of this secondary long term?

You must not have read my first post, lol. Go reread the 2 positions I said we could use then you can reply again, lol.