We Need More Help at RB Going into 2021

time2rock

Right now we have Sanders and NO ONE.  Scott should be a RB4 / change of pace back and nothing more.  Clement hasn't looked good since 2017.  One focus of the upcoming offseason should be to add a legitimate weapon to pair with Sanders for the foreseeable future.  I would not be opposed to using a relatively high pick (a 3rd or heck even a 2nd if the right player is there) to fortify the position.  

• Like 1

What happened to Sanders late in the game that when the Eagles needed him most to help ice a win he was on the sidelines? Is he hurt?

• Like 1

I think the beat up offensive line hurts them here, more than RB talent. It would be nice to have a Blount or Jordan Howard to take some of the heavy load off of Sanders, though.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I think the team really misses Jordan Howard.

Understandable that they didn’t re-sign him considering what Miami offered him and our cap situation - no way were going to come close to matching.  But if we can somehow find someone in the mold of Howard in the draft that would be extremely beneficial to our offense. 

The eagles have let some good situational RBs go over the last couple years, like Jordan Howard.  He was a good compliment to Sanders and got the tough yards.  It was a bad decision to let him walk.

I'm struggling to understand what Pedersen's mindset is with the running game and Sanders.....

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Right now we have Sanders and NO ONE.  Scott should be a RB4 / change of pace back and nothing more.  Clement hasn't looked good since 2017.  One focus of the upcoming offseason should be to add a legitimate weapon to pair with Sanders for the foreseeable future.  I would not be opposed to using a relatively high pick (a 3rd or heck even a 2nd if the right player is there) to fortify the position.  

Agreed

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Yep - couldn't understand why they didn't address it in either the draft or free agency. Heck even Wendell Smallwood would be better as a number 2.

We have a lot of needs, but yeah would love to see a mid-round (3rd or 4th) on a RB.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Howard is averaging 0.8 yards per carry this year...

38 minutes ago, toolg said:

I think the beat up offensive line hurts them here, more than RB talent. It would be nice to have a Blount or Jordan Howard to take some of the heavy load off of Sanders, though.

^^^^

This.  I think a lot of what you see is a bad offensive line.  We do need some more talent at that position, but the line is struggling now.

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Sanders is supposed to be the lead back now that we can rely on. Can we?

Even the best RBs in the league have a decent RB2 behind them to help share the workload:

Chubb - Hunt

Barkley - Gallman, Lewis

Kamara - Murray

Elliott - Pollard

etc

• Like 3

On 10/5/2020 at 9:13 AM, time2rock said:

Understandable that they didn’t re-sign him considering what Miami offered him and our cap situation - no way were going to come close to matching.  But if we can somehow find someone in the mold of Howard in the draft that would be extremely beneficial to our offense. 

How many picks the Eagles had in this past draft though? Did they have to take all of those receivers? Did they need a gadget play quarterback? Just saying they had other options too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

The eagles have a pretty good selection of multi purpose backs.....but no real hard yardage guy.  Clement isn't that guy.  The offensive line is in a constant state of flux but I suspect they'll get better as they year progresses. 

Scott,  Hundley and Killins have speed and pass catching ability and need to be out in space....and they simply aren't getting enough chances to make a difference.  Getting Sanders,   Scott, and Killins out against LBs will create mismatches.....they had a couple chances last night that Wentz missed.

I would like to see Sander get 20 touches, minimum, in a game, and the rest of the RBs 15 in a good combo of passes and runs.  Scott, Hundley and Killins can absolutely fly and the eagles need to take advantage of that in compliment to Sanders all around ability.

They don't need high draft picks of RBs if they're only going to use them 5-6 times a game.  

11 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

The eagles have a pretty good selection of multi purpose backs.....but no real hard yardage guy.  Clement isn't that guy.  The offensive line is in a constant state of flux but I suspect they'll get better as they year progresses. 

Scott,  Hundley and Killins have speed and pass catching ability and need to be out in space....and they simply aren't getting enough chances to make a difference.  Getting Sanders,   Scott, and Killins out against LBs will create mismatches.....they had a couple chances last night that Wentz missed.

I would like to see Sander get 20 touches, minimum, in a game, and the rest of the RBs 15 in a good combo of passes and runs.  Scott, Hundley and Killins can absolutely fly and the eagles need to take advantage of that in compliment to Sanders all around ability.

They don't need high draft picks of RBs if they're only going to use them 5-6 times a game.  

Sanders hasn't topped 20 in a game yet this season (and the total # of rushing plays called hasn't been higher than 26 (but still saw Wentz throw 44 times).  

Number of runs per week:

Week 1: 16 (Sanders out)

Week 2:  24 - Sanders with 20

Week 3:  26 (if including the 2 by Hurts) - Sanders with 18

Last night:  21 (if including the 3 by Hurts) - Sanders with 13

I'm not about to start complaining about running backs for 2021 in week 5 of 2020 . Especially when the offensive line is in shambles now and for the foreseeable future. Skill positions are usless with an offensive line. 

4 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Why do eagles need better backup running backs, they barely run the ball with Sanders?😒

It seems every year Doug needs to learn the same lesson regarding more balance to the offensive attack.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

This is why I would have selected A.J. Dillion in the 1st round of the draft.

Sanders is damn good for what he is, problem is you need a power back to pair with his running style.

Need I remind you guys we had the power back covered the year we won the SB, once again, flashy backs put fans in the stand, power backs put trophies in your trophy case.

A.J. Dillion was a perfect fit for what the Eagles needed at RB.  OK, you didn't get him, they should have picked up Kalen Ballage when he became available.  Both of those guys are big and fast power runners with excellent hands out of the backfield.

Aside from getting a GM,  the best the Eagles can do at this point is bring up Holyfield.

I hate to say I told you so but... I did say. 

I really did not like the RB room going in to this year. 

I love Sanders i think he's legit. But I had some reservations over Scott because of a limited sample size and I hated the move to bring back Clement. 

And the problem is, we have coaches we for some reason go away from Sanders for periods of time. And when you do that you need someone you can turn to. We don't have that. At all. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hate to say I told you so but... I did say. 

I really did not like the RB room going in to this year. 

I love Sanders i think he's legit. But I had some reservations over Scott because of a limited sample size and I hated the move to bring back Clement. 

And the problem is, we have coaches we for some reason go away from Sanders for periods of time. And when you do that you need someone you can turn to. We don't have that. At all. 

Yes, you absolutely did.  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Yes, you absolutely did.  

Don't want to be right about it though. I mean I had hopes that Scott could be a good #2. 

On 10/5/2020 at 7:49 AM, Philthy Jawn said:

I would take him back in a heartbeat.    

He is really struggling with Miami this year:  18 carries, 14 yards.

18 minutes ago, Pliny said:

I would take him back in a heartbeat.    

He is really struggling with Miami this year:  18 carries, 14 yards.

As a RB #2 yeah I'd bring him back. But I think he got pretty good money to go to Miami.