R.I.P. Eddie Van Halen, 65,Cancer

iladelphxx

12 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

SiriusXM channel #27 (Deep Tracks) is doing a VH tribute all day.

i sitll have an old pc tower that has tons of napster stuff on it. just about all rare live recordings. i have a bunch of VH on it. some form before their 1st album. i may need to dust that off and see if i can get to the files. 

17 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i sitll have an old pc tower that has tons of napster stuff on it. just about all rare live recordings. i have a bunch of VH on it. some form before their 1st album. i may need to dust that off and see if i can get to the files. 

Nice man. I'm sure there are some gems on there. 

I just listened to the song Fools for the first time in a long time. EVH just dominates. Amazing. 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i heard it came back and there were rumors out there that he was in bad health. really, really sucks that they were true. 

I never knew he had it to begin with, for it to come back. So this just came from way out in left field for me. Total shock. In fact, I hadn't even seen a picture of him for many years. In my mind, he was still the same person from the 80's. So even seeing him with short, grey hair, was a bit of a shock. 

my top 15 songs because i cant limit it to 10.

(in no certain order as they change) 

drop dead legs

DOA

little guitars(w/into)

ice cream man

poundcake

black n blue 

beautiful girls

everybobdy wants some

secrets

unchained

so this is love

atomic punk

fools

top jimmy

romeo delight

• Like 1

1. drop dead legs
  2. everybody wants some
  3. so this is love
  4. unchained
  5. panama
  6. feel your love tonight
  7. hot for teacher
  8. dancing in the streets
  9. top jimmy
  10. take your whiskey home

• Like 2

honorable mention 

mean street 

could this be love

hang em high 

top jimmy

intruder/pretty woman (one of the greatest covers ever) 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

intruder/pretty woman (one of the greatest covers ever) 

thank you, never knew that intro had a name besides intro to pretty woman. in all honesty the only part of pretty woman i really like. 

Eruption/You Really Got Me

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Feel Your Love Tonight

Hot For Teacher

Fools

Right Now

Finish What Ya Started

Dancing in the Streets

Everybody Wants Some

Ice Cream Man

• Like 1

i really wish things would've worked out with michael and the van halen boys for the last tours.  i mean you can see that wolf is a very good musician & i have nothing against hagar, bur to me, van halen is eddie, dave, alex & mike. 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i really wish things would've worked out with michael and the van halen boys for the last tours.  i mean you can see that wolf is a very good musician & i have nothing against hagar, bur to me, van halen is eddie, dave, alex & mike. 

When I saw them on the 2007 tour I thought musically Wolfy was great, but one of the biggest things Michael Anthony brought to the table was his backing vocals and harmonies. Him and Roth just had an incredible sound together... kinda like Staley/Cantrell. It just sounds good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

When I saw them on the 2007 tour I thought musically Wolfy was great, but one of the biggest things Michael Anthony brought to the table was his backing vocals and harmonies. Him and Roth just had an incredible sound together... kinda like Staley/Cantrell. It just sounds good. 

that they did and to me it was as much a part of VH as anything. hell, michael even sounded even with hagar.  

regardless, i should've went to see them. they are one of my all-time favorite groups. 

VH 1 had the 8 track and played that thing until it blew up.  Senior week 1979.  That is my fav hands down.

Later on, I do have the double CD Best of Both Worlds.   I had forgotten they also did a You're No Good cover.

RIP Eddie.  Died on what would have been my 36 yr. anniversary.

8 minutes ago, DiPros said:

VH 1 had the 8 track and played that thing until it blew up.  Senior week 1979.  That is my fav hands down.

Later on, I do have the double CD Best of Both Worlds.   I had forgotten they also did a You're No Good cover.

RIP Eddie.  Died on what would have been my 36 yr. anniversary.

VH did a bunch of great covers. you could tell they certainly liked the kinks. 

What a loss. The Motzart of my generation. Here are my top 10 VH songs in no particular order.

1. Eruption.     

2. Running with the devil

3. Ain't talkin bout love

4. Fools

5. Right now

6. Poundcake

7. Unchained

8. Bottoms up

9. Jamie's crying

10. Panama

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 11:15 AM, vsptroops said:

What a loss. The Motzart of my generation. Here are my top 10 VH songs in no particular order.

1. Eruption.     

2. Running with the devil

3. Ain't talkin bout love

4. Fools

5. Right now

6. Poundcake

7. Unchained

8. Bottoms up

9. Jamie's crying

10. Panama

While I know it's such a cliche answer, no HOT FOR TEACHER?

1 hour ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

While I know it's such a cliche answer, no HOT FOR TEACHER?

Damn, shame on me for forgetting that one., lol. The guitar tapping alone at the beginning makes that song amazing. I guess I can take off Right now? Hell, there were several other songs I was thinking about as well- Romeo Delight, Spanish Fly, Little Guitars, And the cradle will rock. Damn, R.I.P. King Edward. 

I'll list 2 from each album:

Van Halen 1: Atomic Punk, I'm the One

Van Halen 2: Outta Love Again, Beautiful Girls

Women and Children First: Everybody Wants Some, Loss of Control

Fair Warning: Mean Street, Unchained

Diver Down: Where Have All The Good Times Gone, The Full Bug (My least favorite of the Roth years)

1984: Panama, Hot for Teacher, Top Jimmy, House of Pain (Too many good songs to list only two)

5150: Good Enough, Summer Nights

OU812: A.F.U. (Naturally Wired), Source of Infection

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge: Poundcake, In 'n' Out

Balance: The Seventh Seal (Not a fan of this album either)

Van Halen 3: Without You (Ashamed I even own this)

Best of: Me Wise Magic, Can't Get This Stuff No More

I haven't listened to a Different Kind of Truth in so long, I forgot all the songs except Tattoo.

I heard something on a podcast I listen to (The News Junkie) the other day that I didn't know about EVH. 

Michael Jackson was with Quincy Jones recording "Beat it" and Quincy wasn't feeling the guitar soloist that was originally on the project. He calls in Eddie Van Halen to try out the solo. Van Halen listens to the song one time then rips out the thing in one take. He tells Quincy Jones that he wants another take b/c he thinks that he can do it better and Jones was like nah that's ok I think he have exactly what we need you can go now.