Jeffery WR1, Jackson WR2 on depth chart this week

Hawkeye

12 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Some may argue it hasn’t been updated, but I do see Mailata, Herbig, and Pryor with the 1s.  However, the DC doesn’t appear completely revised ... I see Edwards and Maddox still listed with the 1s.  Neither are expected to play.  

It has been updated, it just doesn't factor week to week injuries. It assumes everybody on the active roster is healthy. 

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Doug said 20 minutes ago that Jeffrey and Jackson are practicing and they don't know yet if they'll even play this Sunday until they see how the week goes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtSm-H16bz0

When Doug says "getting closer" like he did, it usually means they are a few weeks out yet.    Even when he says they are "ready to go", injured players sometimes sit out.   Unless Doug says they are playing this week, I don't count on them playing.

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

If Jackson and/or Jeffery do play they will both be on snap counts. We will have 5 WRs active, so Hightower and Fulgham will both play and get playing time.

In terms of Wentz developing chemistry - the plan is not to have Hightower or Fulgham starting either next year. Neither are likely to develop into legitimate starting receivers. He needs time with Reagor sure, but if either Hightower or Fulgham develop into reliable WR4s or 5s they will have been good pick ups.

Yeah, Fulgham caught the 9ers DBs off guard because they probably just ignored him during the game. That won't happen anymore. Then we'll see that yes, they are probably 4/5 level receivers.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

We won't know until Sunday, correct, but this is the first time the depth chart has had Jeffery, Jackson, Wentz, Ertz and Sanders in the lineup together all year. So it might not mean everything, but it probably doesn't mean nothing.

Oh absolutely. I mean when you look at the options this team has then yeah that's the depth chart. Players like Fulgham haven't jumped them after one game. But if this team seriously game plans to have Jackson and Jeffrey then that's foolish. 

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Whatever.

So long as next year it reads Chase WR1 and Reagor WR2, I'll be happy with the receiver depth chart.

Chase-Reagor-Ward is a trio I could get behind. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Jeffery and Jackson are listed as starters while Ward is WR3. 

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/depth-chart

So does that mean both are back and will go Sunday against the Steelers? None of the Eagles reporter's accounts I follow have anything (and it sorta seems like a big deal).  It also has Mailata at LT, Herbig at LG and Pryor at RG so it appears to be current. 

The beats are still too busy trying to get Carson benched to know anything else that’s going on. 

Ready to move on from the relics.  Loved DJax 1.0, but 2.0 is broken down and the in and out of the lineup on game day doesn’t bode well for the offense getting into a rhythm, not to mention the fact that when he practices he is only taking away reps from the guy that will ultimately play more on Sunday.  Alshon is just as brittle at this point. Have to turn the page at some point.  Neither of these guys will be on the roster next season anyway. 

1 hour ago, VeeMak said:

Neither of these guys will be on the roster next season anyway. 

You'd think they themselves would do anything to try and stay healthy to be able to sign with another team next season.

Everyone knows Jeffery will not be with the Eagles past this season; he has an $18.5M cap number next season.  The Eagles would save about $8M in cap by just cutting him loose after the season — but is Howie capable of trading him to the Jets for a 5th round pick to help out Sam Darnold?  The only way possible is to get Jeffery on the field and showcase him.

If you told me I could have either Jeffery or JJAW taking snaps this Sunday, I’d take Jeffery.  I’d also take another 5th round pick if there is another Hightower-type available in the 2021 draft.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Everyone knows Jeffery will not be with the Eagles past this season; he has an $18.5M cap number next season.  The Eagles would save about $8M in cap by just cutting him loose after the season — but is Howie capable of trading him to the Jets for a 5th round pick to help out Sam Darnold?  The only way possible is to get Jeffery on the field and showcase him.

If you told me I could have either Jeffery or JJAW taking snaps this Sunday, I’d take Jeffery.  I’d also take another 5th round pick if there is another Hightower-type available in the 2021 draft.

This. 

As annoying as Jeffrey has been, he actually played pretty well in the few games he was able to suit up last year. Miami game comes to mind. He’s no deep threat but he’s still a sure handed receiver for Wentz. If he can get on the field, I’d take his production over JJAW even just for a few games. 

16 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a lot of people (not you NOTW) are talking about Wentz getting more time with his receivers of the future in Hightower, Fulgham etc, when in fact it's very unlikely they will be more than depth pieces. I know it was a strong draft for WR, but a lot of people are assuming that Hightower and/or Watkins will be our WRs of the future, whereas there's a strong chance of that not happening. If you go back and look at all the wide receivers drafted in the 4th or later, there is maybe 2-3 who are legitimate starting WRs. So I don't really see the point in putting them out there for the sake of it. If they earn playing time or they need to play through injury then fair enough.

I actually think there is a small chance that Jeffery is still here next year. He would have to come back, play well and stay healthy and would also need to agree to a contract restructure, so it is unlikely.

But unless Hightower etc develop into legitimate starting receivers this year, then we are likely going to have to either keep or sign a veteran for 2021. JJAW was meant to be Alshon's replacement, but he looks like a genuine bust at the moment.

Ok... but even if they’re depth pieces, which most acknowledge, you still want Wentz working with them. And it’s not just to get familiarity, it’s to see what they can actually do on the field so you know what you have going forward. 

Let’s say 2 of Watkins, Fulgham and Hightower are your 4th and 5th WR next season... we’re seeing right now that those guys can end up getting a lot of playing time. All it takes is an injury or two. 

5 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

I don't see the Eagles "getting" a 5th from a team willing to take on that contract. I can see them "giving" a 5th and possibly getting a 6th or 7th in return. If Howie managed to trade Jeffery straight for some team's pick, that would be a boon worthy of praise for the cap relief. I do think Jeffery can help this team as a player, however. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Well, they are currently in 1st place in the rubbish NFC Least so their goal will be to win the division and make the playoffs, which means they will start vets like Alshon and DJax because it gives them the best chance to win the game.  It's a tough situation because this is what they're supposed to do.....try to win games and make the playoffs.  However, most of us here are of the opinion that this team just isn't good enough to make a playoff run, so it could be another season of being the tallest midget where we win a putrid division and end up with a latter half of the round draft picks which makes it a bit harder to reload with quality young talent that we desperately need.  

Also consider that both Alshon and DJax most likely won't be here next season.  So now you're taking away snaps from WRs that will be here next season, which slows their development for the future.  So, the choices are to either focus on the present and try to win this trash division or keep an eye to the future and see what they may or may not have in the young WRs.  Even if you have both Alshon and DJax on snap counts you still have to sit 2 of Hightower, Watkins or Fulgham for the game.  If they dress 5 WRs for a game then you'd have Alshon, DJax, Reagor (when back), Ward and one of the 3 youngins for the 5th spot.  For now 2 of them can dress and play, but once Reagor comes back and if Alshon and DJax both can stay fit to play then that's the situation they'll be in.  

You could argue Wentz needs vet WRs to help stabilize his erratic play so far, but at some point he's going to have to learn to play with these young WRs.  Of course it would be easier to do behind a healthy OL instead of a mostly backup and MASH unit OL.  IMO, if they continue to do what they did vs SF where they used pre-snap motion, moved the pocket and tailored the O more to Wentz's strengths then even with the young WRs I think Wentz will be OK and play better.  However, I'm sure their focus is on winning the division and as long as Alshon and DJax can play then they will play them.

Give me a break. People are talking about Winning the division??? Until we beat Dallas, we are a dog fleas who tripped and fell forward to be in the first place.

The WR position has been an absolute mess during the Howie 2.0 period:

2016 - Nelson Agholor, Dorial Green-Beckham, Jordan Matthews, Bryce Treggs, Paul Turner - complete and utter garbage

2017 - Nelson Agholor, Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith, Shelton Gibson, Mack Hollins, Marcus Johnson - best group by far

2018 - Nelson Agholor, Alshon Jeffery, Shelton Gibson, Jordan Matthews, Golden Tate, Mike Wallace - injuries started to effect AJ and Wallace only played in 1 game, Tate was a waste

2019 - Nelson Agholor, Alshon Jeffery, Desean Jackson, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Deontay Burnett, Robert Davis, Shelton Gibson, Greg Ward - AJ & DJ missed most of the season

2020 - Alshon Jeffery, Desean Jackson, JJAW, Jalen Reagor, Greg Ward, Travis Fulgham, John Hightower - Again AJ and DJ have been MIA along with the rook Reagor so far

What a miserable inconsistent injury plagued revolving mess! Good job Howie!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Give me a break. People are talking about Winning the division??? Until we beat Dallas, we are a dog fleas who tripped and fell forward to be in the first place.

While I agree, we beat them with the playoffs on the line the last time the 2 teams faced off.  

We are what you say we are, but they are just as bad.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a lot of people (not you NOTW) are talking about Wentz getting more time with his receivers of the future in Hightower, Fulgham etc, when in fact it's very unlikely they will be more than depth pieces. I know it was a strong draft for WR, but a lot of people are assuming that Hightower and/or Watkins will be our WRs of the future, whereas there's a strong chance of that not happening. If you go back and look at all the wide receivers drafted in the 4th or later, there is maybe 2-3 who are legitimate starting WRs. So I don't really see the point in putting them out there for the sake of it. If they earn playing time or they need to play through injury then fair enough.

I actually think there is a small chance that Jeffery is still here next year. He would have to come back, play well and stay healthy and would also need to agree to a contract restructure, so it is unlikely.

But unless Hightower etc develop into legitimate starting receivers this year, then we are likely going to have to either keep or sign a veteran for 2021. JJAW was meant to be Alshon's replacement, but he looks like a genuine bust at the moment.

Wentz should be worried about developing into the *quarterback* of the future.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:25 AM, nipples said:

I honestly don’t even want to see those guys on the field. They aren’t winning this game either way, I’d rather see Hightower and Fulgham get another opportunity to show why they’ve got. 

They're going to win this one 🙂 Then lose two that you expect them to win 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, judunno said:

They're going to win this one 🙂 Then lose two that you expect them to win 🙂

Knowing this team... Probably!