Who was the last.....

Captain F

Eagles Superstar?  

It seems like most teams have at least 1 top player at a position, or someone that's a top 5 player year after year.  Most teams have 1 perennial pro bowl player, if not all-pro. The Eagles have now, and in the past,  had some really good players (cox,ertz,peters,mcnabb?) But who was their last true Superstar? A player the level of guy's like Julio Jones, Aaron Rodgers, JJ Watt, etc... 

Im really having a hard time thinking of one.  Top 5 year in, year out. STUD. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Dawk?

He was my first thought. When did he leave?  2006?

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

sheet...probably goes all the way back to reggie white. 

He was my original first thought, then i figured Dawkins.

Cox, Peters, Kelce and Lane Johnson have been among the best at their positions but I don't know how highly they rank consistently or they'd be considered "super stars."  Ertz has been a top 5 TE  consistently though.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, What The F said:

24 minutes ago, What The F said:

if you're talking superstar...as in, even known by non football fans...i'd say reggie.  

dawk was worshipped in philly but idk if that translated to the rest of the country. he was known as a very good safety...but palamaulu was getting more national attention. 

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

if you're talking superstar...as in, even known by non football fans...i'd say reggie.  

dawk was worshipped in philly but idk if that translated to the rest of the country. he was known as a very good safety...but palamaulu was getting more national attention. 

I think we’d have to find out how far the Ertz and his wife credit card commercials stretch. 

12 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Dawkins, TO, Ertz is all over the place. 

Except he was only here what...2 seasons?  1.5?   

1 hour ago, What The F said:

Eagles Superstar?  

It seems like most teams have at least 1 top player at a position, or someone that's a top 5 player year after year.  Most teams have 1 perennial pro bowl player, if not all-pro. The Eagles have now, and in the past,  had some really good players (cox,ertz,peters,mcnabb?) But who was their last true Superstar? A player the level of guy's like Julio Jones, Aaron Rodgers, JJ Watt, etc... 

So the criteria  in the OP is top player at their position, or top 5 in consistent years, or perennial pro bowl/all-pro.  Not popularity among non-NFL fans or who makes commercials.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Cox, Peters, Kelce and Lane Johnson have been among the best at their positions but I don't know how highly they rank consistently or they'd be considered "super stars."  Ertz has been a top 5 TE  consistently though.  

Jason Peters was most certainly a superstar for many years. He’ll be in the HOF. Lane Johnson was probably a superstar for 1 year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

Peters doesn't count? 😕

Id say Peters was a great tackle...3+ years ago.  With that being said,  I don't think he falls into the same category as the top "stars"around the league.  

2 minutes ago, What The F said:

Id say Peters was a great tackle...3+ years ago.  With that being said,  I don't think he falls into the same category as the top "stars"around the league.  

You said top at the position or top 5 year after year, multiple pro bowls or all-pro.  Peters and others fit that.  

So what do you mean by "super star?"  Madden covers, name recognition outside Philly, jersey sales, etc.?  What is the criteria?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You said top at the position or top 5 year after year, multiple pro bowls or all-pro.  Peters and others fit that.  

So what do you mean by "super star?"  Madden covers, name recognition outside Philly, jersey sales, etc.?  What is the criteria?

Maybe I should have said skill position players?  I mean... even if we went with linemen,  offensive linemen are not revered the same as defensive lineman.  OL is probably the 2nd least sexy position in football after punter. 

When is the last time this team had a Watt, Kamara, Urlacher, M.Evans, Megatron type player? 

cox is a 5 time pro bowl dt...idk if that qualifies. and ertz has been a top 3-5 te for the past 3 or so seasons. 

18 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

cox is a 5 time pro bowl dt...idk if that qualifies. and ertz has been a top 3-5 te for the past 3 or so seasons. 

The Cox argument.  Cox was very good,  but never really elite.  Compared to a true elite player, Aaron Donald, Cox's numbers just don't compare.  

Screenshot_20201008-163414_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201008-163459_Chrome.jpg

I'd say LeSean McCoy deserves some love, too. There was a 4 year stretch where he was a consensus top back in the league.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, What The F said:

Maybe I should have said skill position players?  I mean... even if we went with linemen,  offensive linemen are not revered the same as defensive lineman.  OL is probably the 2nd least sexy position in football after punter. 

When is the last time this team had a Watt, Kamara, Urlacher, M.Evans, Megatron type player? 

It sounds like you mean national name recognition and that doesn't always equate to performance.  There are better receivers than Mike Evans for example, and I don't know that I'd include him with a name everyone would know.  Julio Jones, yes.  One potential information gauge of this is the announcers and the analysts on TV.  Think about pregame or those studio debate shows.  They will talk about 1 or 2 key players on a team.  With the Eagles, they always talk about Ertz and the defense having to account for him.  They also talk about Fletcher Cox.

Now does every NFL fan out there know who Fletcher Cox is?  Probably not.  I'll be plenty of them know Ertz, DeSean Jackson, Wentz.  If we're talking the face of the league type players like Mahomes, Rogers, JJ Watt (I've read some people in the last couple years say his performance is declined but he lives on past fame) then I think the last star players that are that well known were Dawkins and McNabb.

I think Ertz fits the description though.  Top 3 or 4 at his position consistently, Super Bowl Champion, the top weapon defenses have to account for,  3 Pro Bowls, 2 time All-Pro, famous wife an Olympic medalist and national attention.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, What The F said:

Eagles Superstar?  

You are talking about a guy who could take over the game, and dominate. The guy opposing defenses fear. Only Dawk answers that question in recent time.